Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pixelante posted:

It better. If Votan gods came to Earth blah blah blah I'm out. They already have deus ex nanotechnology. Add any more epic-scale mystery and the show is going to go even farther up its own rear end than BSG did by the end.

The Votans have a plancitation needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

AlternateAccount posted:

Gulanee can't really hold cohesion as a ball of light, so supposedly they walk around in giant suits? Like that gassy dude from Hellboy 2?

Preview talk: one is showing up next week, I think.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Baron von der Loon posted:

I couldn't really hear what the deal was with the ERep guy's hallucination, something about everyone laughing at him back in the day. What was that about?

The mayor dude is pretty hosed up, he seemed to be a good villain that was made by other people's actions. I wasn't sure if he was just terrible, and while he is terrible, it seems like there is a lot of backstory there that somebody did a pretty good number on him to make him that messed up and he kind of knows it. I like that part of his story.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They're going to clone Amanda, or what?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're going to clone Amanda, or what?

2Benz would make up for lack of Kirshner.

Kenya aside, this season has been really great. Really stepping it up! I didn't expect them to keep the quality S1 developed toward the end, but they've gone and passed it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Baron von der Loon posted:

I couldn't really hear what the deal was with the ERep guy's hallucination, something about everyone laughing at him back in the day. What was that about?

They implied that he was heavily closeted, and that he'd had a massive goonlord crush on Amanda's ex Connor Lang since before the Votan's attacked their school (up to and including stealing the dude's hair). During the Votan attack, implied to be part of the same experiments that Doc Yewell carried out (perhaps the exact same ones), Lang made the mistake of expressing a modicum of human empathy towards Pottinger, and as a result Pottinger followed the dude all over the country in secret.

The implication to all this being that Pottinger cosied up to the ex-Mayor not out of stymied sexual attraction to her, but a sublimated desire to be with her dead ex, and that copying her memories is the first step on this path for him.

Kind of hope this show doesn't go down the road of revealing him as her rapist, though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

esperterra posted:

2Benz would make up for lack of Kirshner.

Kenya aside, this season has been really great. Really stepping it up! I didn't expect them to keep the quality S1 developed toward the end, but they've gone and passed it.

twice the side boob goodness

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there anyone left on this show who's straight?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Man discovers secret trick to make his wife let him back into the house.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

haveblue posted:

In the future, everyone is bisexual. See: Torchwood.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

I'm pretty sure that Nolan, Amanda, Tommy, Irisa, Datak, Alak and Rafe are straight. Probably Christie is too. I think Berlin is though she did refer to Irisa as Hot Chewbacca, so you never really know.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm sure Nolan would give somebody a hand job for information on an urgent case, tbh

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

AxeManiac posted:

I'm sure Nolan would give somebody a hand job for information on an urgent case, tbh

If by hand job you mean grabbing their balls and threatening to squeeze them until they pop, then yes, I can see Nolan passing out "hand jobs."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pixelante posted:

I think the Votans fled their system because the androids realized the Volge were coming to blow it up. Someone smuggled Volge onto the Arks, though, so maybe it was them who blew up the Arks. It's assumed their system is toast by now, but some of the shiny ball of light aliens decided to stay behind voluntarily because they thought they might be able to survive it.

I find the mythology of the show far more interesting than the show. This is probably why I never finish any of my sci-fi fiction projects.

Science-fiction fiction?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Rocksicles posted:

Science-fiction fiction?

So there might be other reasons I'm an unsuccessful writer, okay. Plus that's like what editors are for?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

Science-fiction fiction?

As opposed to science-fiction non-fiction. A fan-fiction story about Nolan and Irisi rescuing a captive from raiders while on their trip back to Defiance as opposed to an essay that compares the religion and culture of the Castithans and Irathients.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

If this turns into six pages of posting fanfic, all the blame's going straight at you, buddy. I was redundantly talking about original sci-fi writing. Not... that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

haveblue posted:

The whole thing has taken a definite Bioware turn.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So apparently the votans and humans can interbreed and it's no big deal, yet there doesn't seem to be a bunch of hybrid aliens running around (as far as I can tell anyway). Has this been touched upon in the game or other media or should we just hand wave it?

On another note I'm also curious why the votans bothered with all that terraform stuff when they seem close enough to humans that regular earth should have suited them just fine. Some votan scientists must have looked at earth and decided it needs more hell bugs because...?

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 21, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Avalerion posted:

So apparently the votans and humans can interbreed and it's no big deal, yet there doesn't seem to be a bunch of hybrid aliens running around (as far as I can tell anyway). Has this been touched upon in the game or other media or should we just hand wave it?

That girl Irisa "killed" in LA looked like she might be part-Casti, part-Irathient, given the white hair with a streak of red.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

haveblue posted:

Sexual dichotomy isn't as binding as patriarchal society thinks it is.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Sithsaber posted:

Sexual dichotomy isn't as binding as patriarchal society thinks it is.

Sexual dichotomy is as binding as patriarchal society thinks it is on TV, however. Lord help us, but sci-fi TV actually seems to be the one breaking ground with shows like Doctor Who having characters who aren't straight without that quality being their primary arch.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Pixelante posted:

Sexual dichotomy is as binding as patriarchal society thinks it is on TV, however. Lord help us, but sci-fi TV actually seems to be the one breaking ground with shows like Doctor Who having characters who aren't straight without that quality being their primary arch.

Once you bang a extraterrestrial with alien physiology, you can bang anything.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

The whole thing has taken a definite Bioware turn.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

eriktown posted:

That girl Irisa "killed" in LA looked like she might be part-Casti, part-Irathient, given the white hair with a streak of red.

I just assumed that she had her hair dyed, since it seems to be a fashion among the younger Casti. Alak had his hair dyed in the same way at one point.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Pixelante posted:

If this turns into six pages of posting fanfic, all the blame's going straight at you, buddy. I was redundantly talking about original sci-fi writing. Not... that.

That's not going to happen because of that post. It might happen if I issue a general challenge for everyone to write a paragraph in a story title "Datak and Rafe, the Tub Humping."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

johntfs posted:

That's not going to happen because of that post. It might happen if I issue a general challenge for everyone to write a paragraph in a story title "Datak and Rafe, the Tub Humping."

I am kidding here. I am not issuing such a challenge. Please, for the love of Jesus Christ don't all of you be writing Datak/Rafe slash fiction. Please.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

johntfs posted:

That works on so many levels...

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

johntfs posted:

I am kidding here. I am not issuing such a challenge. Please, for the love of Jesus Christ don't all of you be writing Datak/Rafe slash fiction. Please.

I'm available to do any artwork for this btw, let's show our fan support.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Tonight is Episode 6: "This Woman's Work"

Synopsis: After an Arkfall crash, Pottinger recruits Nolan to lead their salvage mission.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Stahma has to deal with a crazy religious guy now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drat Stahma, that seemed a little extreme.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hahaha, that's a goofy fetish.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

drat Stahma, that seemed a little extreme.

I loved Datak's look when she dropped the final stone. "I have just realized that my wife is a very scary, dangerous person who is somehow even hotter than she used to be."

muscles like this? posted:

Hahaha, that's a goofy fetish.

We have people who dress like Elves, Klingons and the opposite sex. There would absolutely be people who got off passing as Votans.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This show can't stop making GBS threads on Tommy. He's the O'Brien of Defiance.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

jesus H. christ Nolan you're the worst

On the other hand, now maybe Irisa/Tommy will be a less terrible/boring/baffling couple when they inevitably get back together.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Haha, I guess I got exactly what I asked for last week.

edit: ok the whole castithan poser thing was kind of weird. And Stahma really doesn't take prisoners, does she?

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 25, 2014

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the writing/scripting in this show. It moves along at a crisp pace. it seems to me that all of the character development is accomplished through conflict and aggression. All of the characters, even the ones that are loving and sympathetic towards each other have moments of conflict and confrontation. It just doesn't have many slow moments. Way to many TV shows have long winded dialogues that are supposed to be for character development and all they accomplish are boredom and useless trivia into their personal lives that do nothing to move the plot forward. Not this show. It's refreshing.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
After this recent episode I definitely feel like Tommy's gonna die by the end of the season =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Haha, Datak uses a coaster even when he's living in a crate.

• Locked thread