Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Seltzer posted:

You don't believe this?

I'm sorry, but there must be hundreds of genuinely poor working class fighters who still manage to afford even basic training for an MMA fight. And even assuming not a single gym would take him, then why agree to a fight at all? Any way you slice it, the reasoning behind that excuse is stupid.

quote:

Nog literally just claimed part of the reason he lost is because he had to fly coach. Tons of fighters make excuses, but where as the American excuse rate might be around 50% the Brazilian excuse rate is around 95% and usually twice as stupid.

The actual stories I've seen about this have him citing a long flight in addition to his injuries, which given the length of his career has some validity to it. That aside, even if this is an excuse, this and the blaming Herb Dean for the loss to Mir are the only egregious examples I can find for a guy who is supposed to be one of the poster boys for "Brazilian excuses."

Now, it may be true that Brazilian fighters may be more likely to make excuses, but that would require me reading every post-fight interview out there, but honestly those sites devoted to the worst excuses for a loss mostly cite non-Brazilian fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Aurain posted:

I don't think quitting has ever crossed a Diaz's mind in a fight, and there's no way that Silva could make him break.

It sure crossed Nick's mind when Nate was fighting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Panama Red posted:

I'm sorry, but there must be hundreds of genuinely poor working class fighters who still manage to afford even basic training for an MMA fight. And even assuming not a single gym would take him, then why agree to a fight at all? Any way you slice it, the reasoning behind that excuse is stupid.

Coleman being broke while raising two daughters as a single father and taking fights to pay off debts is pretty well documented, dude.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I've said it before, I love Nick but I think his boxing is pretty overrated. It was completely stymied by Condit and GSP (except for about 30 seconds in round 3 when I started to get excited) and I can't see him getting much offense off against Anderson. Even if Anderson's chin is going (I didn't buy this after the first Weed man fight but after seeing a not-so-devastating punch in the clinch almost turn Anderson's lights out, I think it's probable that his chin is indeed starting to go) Nick doesn't have the punching power to put him to sleep with one punch like Weidman.

Also I'm fairly certain Anderson could take Nick down if he wanted to.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

No he's saying it's the sole reason he lost, which he is conflating with getting hit so hard that he didn't successfully make lasting memories of the fight, none of which he was unconscious or crippled for

So what you're saying is that one cannot be concussed unless he is completely unconscious. Good to know.

vvv That didn't work out too well for him last time.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 25, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anderson might employ conduits strategy of unending low kicks

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

He has all but explicitly confirmed the Takada fight was a dive to make some extra money under the table, there's nothing weird about Coleman half-assing a fight to make money to do his thing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"I lost the fight because he hit me so hard in the first round I barely knew where I was" is not in any way, shape or form an excuse, it's describing what happened in the fight.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

fatherdog posted:

"I lost the fight because he hit me so hard in the first round I barely knew where I was" is not in any way, shape or form an excuse, it's describing what happened in the fight.

Yeah, it's not even an excuse to say "he hit me so hard I forgot stuff and I didn't fight the same after." These are things that happen and it's not taking anything away from your opponent to say their attack completely messed up the rest of the fight for you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Frankie Edgar uses it as an excuse to get better at fighting and start winning.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

re: Coleman diving for Takada, what are the chances that Fujita's corner throwing in the towel against Coleman was his reward for previously making Takada look good? I've always thought it was probable and it certainly gave him an easier path through the PRIDE 2000 GP while Vovchanchyn had to fight Sakuraba for 15 minutes earlier in the night. Also holy poo poo I'm just now realising again Sakuraba went 15 mins with Vovchanchyn after going 90 with Royce Gracie.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Panama Red posted:

The actual stories I've seen about this have him citing a long flight in addition to his injuries, which given the length of his career has some validity to it.

If flying coach (many days before a fight) can in any way gently caress up your back and therefore performance, you should not be fighting and should undergo intense physiotherapy. If he's so frail that the plane hosed him up, he wouldn't even have been able to do what he did in the octagon before getting beaten up. I can't believe someone is defending the victor class excuse.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 25, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

masato tatanka posted:

re: Coleman diving for Takada, what are the chances that Fujita's corner throwing in the towel against Coleman was his reward for previously making Takada look good? I've always thought it was probable and it certainly gave him an easier path through the PRIDE 2000 GP while Vovchanchyn had to fight Sakuraba for 15 minutes earlier in the night. Also holy poo poo I'm just now realising again Sakuraba went 15 mins with Vovchanchyn after going 90 with Royce Gracie.

Idk, Fujita could barely shamble across the ring.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

fatherdog posted:

Of course it is, on its own. Except he's very pointedly using it in a context of claiming he would never be beaten by TJ Dillashaw otherwise, which is disrespectful and ludicrous, considering how badly he got styled on in a fight that left few questions about the weaknesses of his defense.

Let's also draw the necessary distinction between a fighter "not knowing where they are" ("Queer St.," - Joe Rogan) after being badly rocked and on the verge of being finished due to staggering around, versus simply taking a beating in a losing round and having one's brain fail to record lucid memories for a certain period of time (yet not actually rocked or in danger of being immediately finished).

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 25, 2014

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Seltzer posted:

If flying coach (many days before a fight) can in any way gently caress up your back and therefore performance, you should not be fighting and should undergo intense physiotherapy. If he's so frail that the plane hosed him up, he wouldn't even have been able to do what he did in the octagon before getting beaten up. I can't believe someone is defending the victor class excuse.

My father has serious injures from his past that prevents him from flying coach (which he means he never flies at all), and since airplanes pack people like sardines in order to drive down prices, I'm not at all shocked that it could have had an impact on Big Nog. Now, you say that means he shouldn't be fighting anymore if that's the case, and I'd agree with you, but it's hardly the only guy still going out there who should probably have retired a long time ago.

Anyway, my larger point is that this and the Herb Dean thing are the only ones I've been able to source to Big Nog directly, and those still pale in comparison to the stupidity of Tito "My skull don't work" Ortiz and Quinton "I'mma fast for a buncha days because God and the Bible" Jackson.

The Rational Redditor posted:

Of course it is, on its own. Except he's very pointedly using it in a context of claiming he would never be beaten by TJ Dillashaw otherwise, which is disrespectful and ludicrous, considering how badly he got styled on in a fight that left few questions about the weaknesses of his defense.

Yet he's acknowledging the fact that he got styled on by stating he got punched so hard he subsequently lost the fight? Why is it so hard to accept that a Brazilian is admitting he lost a fight?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Speaking of the Diazes who was it that Nate said was making "woman noises" during their fight? Was it Josh Thomson?

Just Googled it, it was Thomson. I think about this sometimes and laugh.

quote:

"The last guy I fought, Josh Thomson, he was scared shitless when I was fighting him. It's unbelievable how scared he was in there. He was running for his life. He was making women when I was fighting him. He was making bitch rear end lady sounds and that's not bulls--t. I'm not here talking s--t on him, this is reality. He was making woman sounds. He was running out of the clinch. I hit him in the face and he was going "Oh, oh, ehh" making woman sounds I've never even heard out of a man before during a fight. I'm hearing his corner telling him to smile and I'm like, "Yeah, smile mother f--ker" and not a single smile came out of his mouth. He had a look of panic the whole fight. You have to be in there to fight these guys to know that. This is how it went. I've seen him in other fights, he was smiling at the other guy, bouncing around. He didn't have no time for that against me. He was frantic and trying not to get his rear end whooped."

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Saying the fight may have went differently had he not gotten the poo poo knocked out of him in round 1 when, in fact it may have, is not an excuse.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Speaking of the Diazes who was it that Nate said was making "woman noises" during their fight? Was it Josh Thomson?

Just Googled it, it was Thomson. I think about this sometimes and laugh.

I wish there was audio of Nate demonstrating these women noises.

Also I just find it completely hilarious that Nate still talks poo poo after getting finished in a fight. I haven't watched that fight a second time mostly because it was horrifying, but I remember Josh loving up Nate literally the entire time, and only Nate's granite, retard strength chin kept him standing after the first 2 or 3 head kicks.

Please get Nate signed now too. The UFC is a better place with the Diaz bros.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Seltzer posted:

Canadian Border Control is incredibly annoying and staffed with a lot of shitheads. I say this as someone who has dealt with other immigration points and as someone who has traveled with a Canadian to the states and seen how the US treats them in comparison.

I once had a CBSA guard who was the youngest looking CBSA agent I've ever seen. For some reason, he reminded me of somebody.

Then I realized that he was a dead ringer for King Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

I couldn't look at him without smiling. He decided that I was "nervous". I did not tell him that I was nervously laughing because I kept hearing Joffrey quotes and he ascertained that I was "of interest" which cost me some time at the border.

To summarize:
gently caress THE KING.

Also, I believe in Cormier. I BELIEVE.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Any fighter worth his salt is going to believe that he's unstoppable at his best and would win every single fight. If he believed otherwise, he'd never be an elite fighter in the first place.

Even though I still believe he hasn't earned another crack at TJ, we're going to find out if it's true or not.

e: ^^^ I don't believe in Cormier.
I know that he's going to humiliate Jones.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Ty1990 posted:

Please get Nate signed now too. The UFC is a better place with the Diaz bros.

The funny thing is, Nate's already signed.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

masato tatanka posted:

re: Coleman diving for Takada, what are the chances that Fujita's corner throwing in the towel against Coleman was his reward for previously making Takada look good?

Fujita tore his hamstring in the previous match; he threw in the towel against Coleman because doing so meant he got paid for the Coleman match in addition to the previous one, whereas if he'd pulled out with the injury and been replaced, he wouldn't have.

Let's also draw the necessary distinction between a fighter "not knowing where they are" ("Queer St.," - Joe Rogan) after being badly rocked and on the verge of being finished due to staggering around, versus simply taking a beating in a losing round and having one's brain fail to record lucid memories for a certain period of time (yet not actually rocked or in danger of being immediately finished).

Uh, actually the latter has happened to many fighters on numerous occasions. You are really being weird about this.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I'm saying the latter happens frequently fd, even to fighters who win.

Aurain posted:

Any fighter worth his salt is going to believe that he's unstoppable at his best and would win every single fight. If he believed otherwise, he'd never be an elite fighter in the first place.

Even though I still believe he hasn't earned another crack at TJ, we're going to find out if it's true or not.
I refuse to acknowledge any long-reigning champion who drops a belt as humble until they pollute a public waterway with a brick

I do in fact believe Barao deserves the instant rematch. I would enjoy few things more in the UFC than to see that fight again as soon as possible. All conjecture is meaningless because it's a mere few weeks away, which rules.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 25, 2014

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

You pick the dumbest things to go spastic about.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

-Atom- posted:

You pick the dumbest things to go spastic about.
I'm just going to quote this in case it disappears later.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Agent Tough Juice posted:

The funny thing is, Nate's already signed.

Ha. I sometimes forget this.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Let's shift subjects and talk about how Matt Brown is going to be the future champion,

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
that doestn make any sense if hes going to be future champion he already is

unless this is some time travel bullshit

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Let's shift subjects and talk about how Matt Brown is going to be the future champion,

Matt Brown's path to victory:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Seltzer posted:

Is that before or after Lawlor has him surgically removed from the Ruthless one's fist?

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I find it just as annoying when a pair of fighters have a well matched, closely contested fight and the victor then shits on the match by reeling off a list of his numerous and crippling injuries.

You know that amazing fight, in which my opponent and I each had moments of success, which forced me to adjust my gameplan on the fly, resulting in a narrow, but decisive victory? Well I was actually legally dead for two hours a week before the fight and that awesome match was really me fighting at 20% of my gym potential :smug:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I always thought that fighters extreme self-confidence ("I know I'm going to win!") was silly, but I'm just a pudgy dude who watches people punch each other on TV. It was part of his schtick so who knows how genuine it was, but I liked Sonnen for acknowledging that that the outcome of a fight is an uncertain thing. All you can do is train and plan hard to get the odds in your favour.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Street Horrrsing posted:

I find it just as annoying when a pair of fighters have a well matched, closely contested fight and the victor then shits on the match by reeling off a list of his numerous and crippling injuries.

You know that amazing fight, in which my opponent and I each had moments of success, which forced me to adjust my gameplan on the fly, resulting in a narrow, but decisive victory? Well I was actually legally dead for two hours a week before the fight and that awesome match was really me fighting at 20% of my gym potential :smug:

But there was nothing narrow about that fight, the gap in performance was as wide as the space between Barao's teeth

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I find it annoying in general. The actual fights that I was thinking of were hendricks/lawler and machida/weidman

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Street Horrrsing posted:

I find it annoying in general. The actual fights that I was thinking of were hendricks/lawler and machida/weidman

I'm sure we can come up with some excuses for Machida too
1. can't reach mouth with his chosen method of hydration during fights
2. can't sleep at night anymore because he still hears Anderson screaming in his dreams
3. distracted from his training by his love of dance

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Nick Diaz is a good puncher, he is in no way a good boxer. Boxing involves angles, movement, and defense. Anderson is a good boxer. I fail to see what avenue to victory Nick would have in a fight between them.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Actually, Silva/Diaz should be a boxing match. They both go on and on about testing those waters. This is perfect.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Street Horrrsing posted:

What was the injury in machida/wiedman?

I don't mind the injury talk, though I think it should be left for later. I was re-watching Hendricks/Lawler in detail (basically the whole fight in super slow-mo, and re-watching some moves again and again), I was really confused as to why Hendricks was punching so strangely. Then I remembered.

Nobody is ever 100%; it doesn't take away from the enjoyment to know this I think.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Dangersim posted:

Nick Diaz is a good puncher, he is in no way a good boxer. Boxing involves angles, movement, and defense. Anderson is a good boxer. I fail to see what avenue to victory Nick would have in a fight between them.

By the time Anderson fights again he'll be 40 and him slowing down and being afraid to throw leg kicks may give Nick opportunities to win rounds.

Nick is a plodding mess but he doesn't stop, has good cardio, and has a good chin. He's not going to jump face first into a KO like Okami did. He's not gonna do spinning poo poo and get kneed on the chest like Chael did.

Nick could definitely lose because Anderson is accurate as gently caress and if he did throw leg kicks he could just snooze his way through the fight. But it's not crazy to imagine that Nick could win 3 of 5 rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dangersim posted:

pressure pressure pressure pressure

Silva will have about a zillion punches he can counter, since Nick doesn't move his head. But if Silva finds himself backed against the cage he could get in real trouble.

• Locked thread