Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Suicidal Maniac posted:

There is only one way to play Carcassonne and it is to try and gently caress over Bummey as much as possible.

Bingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
So is it time for another Carcassonne tournament?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Grimmeh posted:

It totally should be.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

EightFlyingCars posted:

It totally should be.

There will be blood.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I was excited to see Suburbia had an iOS version, which was quickly dashed when I saw it was iPad only. :smith:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Durendal posted:

I was excited to see Suburbia had an iOS version, which was quickly dashed when I saw it was iPad only. :smith:

If anyone's played it, how is it?

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME

Grimmeh posted:

I want in!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Agronox posted:

Here is a dude playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4zMvYEsXsY

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Agronox posted:

It's a great implementation. As you can see from the video it takes all the math out so you can make plays pretty quickly. It also has a solo mode that is pretty cool, it's like a puzzle. I bought the real game after purchasing and liking the iOs app.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Hey you suckers - hurry up and by the Ascension expansion and accept my game invites. Geez. Or whoever's not a cheap rear end invite me to a game.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
If you like cycling your deck, this expansion is for you!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

porktree posted:

Hey you suckers - hurry up and by the Ascension expansion and accept my game invites. Geez. Or whoever's not a cheap rear end invite me to a game.

Goddammit I bought the bundle yesterday :negative:

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

[Cross posting from the board game of the month thread]

:siren: :siren: :siren: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Right! With the introduction of Rise of Vigil, and with Ascension being BGotM, I hereby announce the return of the semi-regular Goon Ascension Tournament; Goon Ascension Madness 4!

The format for this tournament is single elimination matches, with matches decided by best of three. No expansions other than RoV, with a 24 hour time limit per game. The signup for the tournament is here (You'll have to sign up for Challonge if you haven't already).

:siren: PLEASE make sure you update your nickname within the tournament settings to match your Playdek name, or everyone will be mad at you. :mad: :siren:

The best way to communicate with everyone during the tournament is on GroupMe, but posting here or in the main iOS Board Game thread is cool too, I suppose.

Signups will be open until at least the start of next week (28th July), but probably not longer, so get in quick!

:siren: :siren: If you're having problems trying to sign up, make sure you click on the signup link above :siren: :siren:

Fake edit: Oh, if you sign up and don't start games or take turns regularly I will award you with a loss (after a warning or two). I'm a cold hearted bastard, yes. Goons are the worst.

Kelthorn fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 25, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Notorious QIG posted:

Goddammit I bought the bundle yesterday :negative:

The new expansion isn't in the bundle, so you lost nothing.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Anyone else not seeing the new expansion on the in-app store? Is there a later release date for Europe or something?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Owlkill posted:

Anyone else not seeing the new expansion on the in-app store? Is there a later release date for Europe or something?

Make sure you have updated the app through the app store first. It's over 100 MB so it probably won't update over cellular.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Owlkill posted:

No, I bought it in the UK this morning.

On which note: I signed up for the tournament. How do we deal with timezones?

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

For the most part it hasn't been an issue in the past. You've a day to take your turns, and awake times overlap at some point. Groupme is a good way to keep In contact with your opponent and organize a time to take your turns when you're both online. The forums can be a fallback, worse comes to worse...

As long as you keep communicating and don't drop off the face of the earth we can sort out anything that comes up. We've had people in most parts of the world last few times, but the majority are in US timezones.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So the new Loamspeaker Druid card in Ascension can lead to weird games. I haven't seen bigger numbers ever.

I suck at this new expansion even harder than at regular Ascension :suicide:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Kelthorn posted:

[Cross posting from the board game of the month thread]

:siren: PLEASE make sure you update your nickname within the tournament settings to match your Playdek name, or everyone will be mad at you. :mad: :siren:

At the risk of asking a stupid question, how do you do this? I signed up with my SA name, but my PlayDek name is Admiral Cool.

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

At the risk of asking a stupid question, how do you do this? I signed up with my SA name, but my PlayDek name is Admiral Cool.

From the tournament page, in the "Your Settings" tab on the left, you should be able to set your name for this tournament to something else other than your challonge username.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Fat Samurai posted:

So the new Loamspeaker Druid card in Ascension can lead to weird games. I haven't seen bigger numbers ever.

I hate that card more than some of the promos. We house ruled it out of the cube last year in my group. gently caress that guy.

The Nastier Nate posted:

edit: beaten on that one

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Aw man. Looks like the tournament is full. Curse my busy schedule, I didn't see the announcement :argh:

Happy days are here again

Quickpull fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 25, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Quickpull posted:

Aw man. Looks like the tournament is full. Curse my busy schedule, I didn't see the announcement :argh:

I'm going to duck out., if I can ever find out how to log back in. You can have my spot. when/if that happens.

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

The tournament shouldn't be full, there is no maximum limit. Did you get an error message saying it was full?

Edit: Problem sorted, there is no maximum, everyone should be able to join up. Make sure you go to http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/FO1r2ObPFf

Kelthorn fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 25, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I suck at this new expansion even harder than at regular Ascension :suicide:

It's a pretty bad expansion, to be honest. The new mechanic is literally "win more", the first player to gain access to it is often in a very strong position to shut out the other, and gaining access to it is a matter of luck.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So I know it isn't a boardgame per se, but Starbase Orion is a loving awesome 4x game that has the feel of a boardgame the same way Civ V seems like a huge boardgame. It is a worthy successor to Master of Orion 2. I can't believe I waited this long to get it.

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001

Jedit posted:

It's a pretty bad expansion, to be honest. The new mechanic is literally "win more", the first player to gain access to it is often in a very strong position to shut out the other, and gaining access to it is a matter of luck.

Is this just confirmation bias or do statistics back up your claim? I have a slightly better win percentage after about 40 games in RoV compared to my 65% in 2000+ games of the other sets. Sure, there is plenty of randomness, but that is no different than any other card game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

If you like cycling your deck, this expansion is for you!

Things I like about the new Ascension expansion:

The idea of a "threshold" mechanic is interesting. I really like not having another form of currency.

I'm not 100% sure, but it feels like when you're playing with EVERY set mashed together, it adds more treasure cards so the RoV cards that care about energy aren't completely useless.

The really subtle UI changes that I can't even remember are really smooth.

Treasure cards force you to re-evaluate what cards to buy.

Things I don't like:

The energy shards mean you're going to be spending a lot of time cycling through your deck. The idea that you need to play them before you play the "energy matters" cards has the same feel-bad results and slows down gameplay the same way that Temple Librarian or Runic Lycanthrope did. Sometimes I want to hit the play all button just to be done with it, but then half my cards won't work, and some of them will give me, like, five power instead of twelve.

The new Apprentice, Militia, and Mystic arts all look very same-y on an iPhone screen. The Apprentice vs. Mystic arts are especially hard to detect at a glance.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

jerkstores posted:

Sure, there is plenty of randomness, but that is no different than any other card game.

Shuffled decks of cards are inherently sources of randomness, but games can mitigate that to varying degrees in their design. The most extreme example of not doing that would probably be Candy Land, where your entire path through the game is dictated by the order of the cards in the deck.

Ascension is no Candy Land, but it does have more random moving parts than Dominion, for instance. In both games, you can still randomly draw a bad hand out of your deck, but since Ascension adds another deck in the middle of the table that determinines what cards you can buy, it's definitely more random.

You can try to build an Ascension deck toward executing a particular strategy, but the best cards for that strategy might just never come up. This isn't an issue in Dominion because the middle of the table is relatively static. Adding powerful unique cards to Ascension's center card deck would definitely tilt things further away from the player with the best planning and further toward the player with the most luck.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I can't stand the new Ascension expansion. Player hands are so long now I actually fell asleep playing online last night and when I jumped when I realised I was asleep it was still the other player's turn. I can't take that sort of downtime. It's like playing Dominion in person with someone who suffers from analysis paralysis except the other player is trying really hard to play their whole turn as fast as possible.

djfooboo posted:

Civ V seems like a huge boardgame.

It seems like it is because civ is literally a board game.

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

You can try to build an Ascension deck toward executing a particular strategy, but the best cards for that strategy might just never come up. This isn't an issue in Dominion because the middle of the table is relatively static. Adding powerful unique cards to Ascension's center card deck would definitely tilt things further away from the player with the best planning and further toward the player with the most luck.

But the cards in this expansion aren't inherently more powerful than in any other set. In fact, I would say dreamers glass and orb of nyx are significantly more broken than anything in rise of vigil. I have actually won more games than I have lost when my opponent gets oziah. The addition of treasure actually make bad cards significantly more valuable when there is treasure behind them.

I think there is a huge amount of skill in ascension and that the randomness adds to its replay value as every game is a unique puzzle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jerkstores posted:

Is this just confirmation bias or do statistics back up your claim?

Logic backs up my claim. All cards with Energise are better if you have more Shards, some of them significantly so, and there's no drawbacks to having any amount of Shards in your deck. If you're the first player to get Shards you have a major edge, and that edge compounds; as it becomes easier to defeat or buy cards, it becomes easier to gain more Shards and maintain a consistently higher Energy level.

The luck factor is also amplified by the initial distribution of Shards. If a couple of Shards go under a cheap card, then the first player will be able to activate more Energise cards. It's quite possible to lose a game because you lost the opening coinflip.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

djfooboo posted:

So I know it isn't a boardgame per se, but Starbase Orion is a loving awesome 4x game that has the feel of a boardgame the same way Civ V seems like a huge boardgame. It is a worthy successor to Master of Orion 2. I can't believe I waited this long to get it.

I adored MoO1 but thought MoO2 took away the simplicity that made the first game such a classic. Do you think Starbase Orion would still work for someone like me? (Really if someone just ported MoO1 to iOS with better AI I'd play the poo poo out of it)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Agronox posted:

I adored MoO1 but thought MoO2 took away the simplicity that made the first game such a classic. Do you think Starbase Orion would still work for someone like me? (Really if someone just ported MoO1 to iOS with better AI I'd play the poo poo out of it)

Maybe? I'm in the same boat as you in terms of loving MoO1, and Starbase Orion hit some good notes, but there's some tedium involved in building planet structures, and the tech tree, while interesting in some ways, is a bit of a mess in others. I haven't played with the game too much yet, but it's not a game that I would recommend unconditionally.

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001

Jedit posted:

Logic backs up my claim. All cards with Energise are better if you have more Shards, some of them significantly so, and there's no drawbacks to having any amount of Shards in your deck. If you're the first player to get Shards you have a major edge, and that edge compounds; as it becomes easier to defeat or buy cards, it becomes easier to gain more Shards and maintain a consistently higher Energy level.

The luck factor is also amplified by the initial distribution of Shards. If a couple of Shards go under a cheap card, then the first player will be able to activate more Energise cards. It's quite possible to lose a game because you lost the opening coinflip.

In my opinion, this isn't really different than any other set of Ascension. If my opponent gets a good flip or two to start the game, then the same snowball effect can occur (eg Dreamer's Glass, Shadowcaster, Star Child). Shards might make that effect more obvious to you as the turns tend to take longer and some of the energize effects are massive, but I don't think it's a different overall game.

In any case, some of my most enjoyable games have been come backs to beat the other player's great early start. Ascension is won and lost by making smart choices when the board state isn't obvious. Yes, you will lose some games via blow outs, but over the long term, it still comes down to smart decision making whether it's rise of vigil or any other set.

jerkstores fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 26, 2014

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

jerkstores posted:

Ascension is won and lost by making smart choices when the board state isn't obvious. Yes, you will lose some games via blow outs, but over the long term, it still comes down to smart decision making whether it's rise of vigil or any other set.

I assume everyone else here has lost the same 100+ games to jerkstores that I have. But in case you haven't, lemme tell ya, I would stake this mother fucker in any tournament going. His win rate has to be north of 75%. If he says I'm overlooking something, I reckon I probably am.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

star realms

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

MizuZero posted:

star realms

Apple rejected it again. They're planning to resubmit over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jerkstores posted:

In my opinion, this isn't really different than any other set of Ascension. If my opponent gets a good flip or two to start the game, then the same snowball affect can occur (eg Dreamer's Glass, Shadowcaster, Star Child). Shards might make that affect more obvious to you as the turns tend to take longer and some of the energize effects are massive, but I don't think it's a different overall game.

It's a different overall game because Dreamer's Glass and Shadowcaster cost 5. You can't buy them on turn 1 and still pick up a Mystic.

• Locked thread