Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I prefer JRPGs on a handheld personally, but to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I just learned today that Friday the 13th on the NES was developed by Atlus. I'm a little curious about how much if that, if any, was influenced by Megami Tensei or went on to later influence Megami Tensei.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

demota posted:

I just learned today that Friday the 13th on the NES was developed by Atlus. I'm a little curious about how much if that, if any, was influenced by Megami Tensei or went on to later influence Megami Tensei.

The full influence of the title wouldn't be seen until the PS2 era, when Atlus decided terrible chase sequences should be a thing to include in their games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

demota posted:

Jason's relentless pursuit of teenagers heavily influenced the "Social Link" mechanic

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Friday, an enemy that appears in Megami Tensei 2. But that's probably just a coincidence.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I love you guys.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We love you too.

I am thou...

The Intermet Forum social link has reached rank 10. You have formed a bond that cannot be banned.

You now have the ability to fuse the ultimate persona of the Hermit arcana - Pan, the goat-man.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You spent a long time alone in your room, with the internet...

Elfface posted:

You now have the ability to fuse the ultimate persona of the Hermit arcana - Pan, the goat-man.

:golfclap:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was listening to the Persona Q OST, and this theme sounds like a cover of another Persona theme, but I have no idea what, and it's bugging me. Maybe I've already heard this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APee8Ld2xqs

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Butt Ghost posted:

I was listening to the Persona Q OST, and this theme sounds like a cover of another Persona theme, but I have no idea what, and it's bugging me. Maybe I've already heard this before?

Wow the Persona Q OST sounds amazing.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

UberJumper posted:

Wow the Persona Q OST sounds amazing.

Yeah it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FinOnBkPvA

Mr_Fahrenheit
Apr 1, 2014

Butt Ghost posted:

Are you thinking about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7ghsIlT0E

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I also found with the Vita that playing RPGs on a handheld, especially PS2 level ones, is awesome and way better than being glued to a TV. It's not just the portability although playing FFX on a 12 hour flight was awesome, it's also the fact that you can sit down on the couch with your wife/spouse/roommate/cats and watch TV while doing something like working through a dungeon in the background, instead of dedicating all your attention to it. I wish P5 was coming to PS4 just so I could remote play it on a Vita :v:

laplace posted:

Yeah, Blazblue really is just a continuation of Guilty Gear, though I think each of the games (BB, GG, and P4A) all have different gamefeel that differentiates them. I like all three of them as well, even with their differences. Then again, I *do* have test cabinet access to Arcsys games so I'm a little biased, though my contract is ending soon since I'm moving back to America from Japan.

I did get to play as Ken and Rise though, but I'm actually not allowed to talk in depth about them yet.

Woah what do you do?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I also found with the Vita that playing RPGs on a handheld, especially PS2 level ones, is awesome and way better than being glued to a TV. It's not just the portability although playing FFX on a 12 hour flight was awesome, it's also the fact that you can sit down on the couch with your wife/spouse/roommate/cats and watch TV while doing something like working through a dungeon in the background, instead of dedicating all your attention to it. I wish P5 was coming to PS4 just so I could remote play it on a Vita :v:

Woah what do you do?

I live in Japan and since I am a foreigner who is good at fighting games I got scouted/noticed at a local game center and got asked to QA for Arcsys games on a test cabinet. I don't get paid for it, I just have a special NESSICA card I can use to log into the dev portion (similar to the ones used for servicing machines or accessing Debug menus).

I correct machine translation for a living though so that also helped. I'm moving back to America in about 3 weeks though so I won't have access to Marie or Adachi. I'm more into P4A than GG or BB (though I have played Xrd and CP arcade) so I generally just do QA for P4U.

laplace fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 27, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Maybe. Listening to them back to back, Battle in the Clock Tower does sound like a cover of A New World Fool, but I'm not too sure. The bit that sounds the most familiar starts at around 1:07. I can't tell if it's a part from A New World Fool or not.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

I really hope they stay with the whole 'awesome music' thing they've been doing since P3. Catherine had a lot of great tracks in it, and I have been told/read it was supposed to be a trial for making a Persona game on the PS3. Boy do they take their time, lets hope it results in something amazing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Butt Ghost posted:

I was listening to the Persona Q OST, and this theme sounds like a cover of another Persona theme

Starts off kind of sounding vaguely similar to Lone Prayer from the first Persona game. That might be what you're thinking of, but even that's a bit of a stretch.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Persona Q OST sucks because only like two songs are done by Lotus Juice.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The Persona Q OST sucks because only like two songs are done by Lotus Juice.

That's a plus in my department

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm going to shove you in a locker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lotus Juice is great but so are the songs not by them on the soundtrack that I've heard.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i think we oughta just encourage people to like whatever they want. conformity is death

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

P4's soundtrack is better than P3's and has 100% less Lotus Juice so I'm not bothered by this, especially because Q's music seems fantastic overall.

e: Yeah, that's a weirdly low number compared to what I expected for the P3 side of things but it's not really make-or-break for me.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

P3 and P4 had two completely different thematic palettes. P3 was a somber, introspective story with calm blue colors. P4 was supposed to be bright and hopeful, and yellow also fit with the "cautionary" aspects of the plot like murder.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 3's OST is way cooler and I will fight anyone and everyone who disagrees with my opinion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked both a lot and don't have a preference, let's fight.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I liked P3's soundtrack a lot, but other than the main theme, there isn't much of it that I would listen to outside the game like Heaven and the final boss theme from P4.

On another issue, getting to the point in Devil Survivor Overclocked where you can put Null-Phys, Anti-Most, and Battle Aura on your glass cannon mage MC is sorta a gamechanger.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You should consider Repel Phys instead of Null when you have the opportunity. Null and Drain can be pierced with the passive skill Pierce, Repel is impenetrable.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

You should consider Repel Phys instead of Null when you have the opportunity. Null and Drain can be pierced with the passive skill Pierce, Repel is impenetrable.

Iirc, Repel Phys needs something like 15 Strength in Overclocked, which really isn't worth it on magic builds.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I prefer Anti all, Dual Shadow, and an elemental amp of the most appropriate element. When combined with Yin Magic or whatever the X2 damage boost creates an overwhelming offense which can just nuke anything that is not a final boss.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Are all the Day 7/Ending routes doable on a first playthrough? I'm at 1700 on Day 6, trying to decide my route and I think I might just wuss out and do Yuzu's this time (I've been told its the easiest) and then come back on NG+ loaded for bear to do the ending I actually want (Amane). The game is making it sound much harder. My team is level 45-47 for reference.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Are all the Day 7/Ending routes doable on a first playthrough? I'm at 1700 on Day 6, trying to decide my route and I think I might just wuss out and do Yuzu's this time (I've been told its the easiest) and then come back on NG+ loaded for bear to do the ending I actually want (Amane). The game is making it sound much harder. My team is level 45-47 for reference.

You should be able to handle any route the first time through as long as you are willing to grind at times.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Just to put it out there, Yuzu's route is also the least satisfying. But, yeah, I think it's one of the easier ones. Don't back down from any of the other routes because of difficulty, though. Just go with whatever you're most interested in seeing.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I managed to do Naoya's route (supposedly one of the hardest) the first time through without struggling much, and I only grinded (ground?) a bit for Macca and skills. You should be fine whatever you do. Take your pick and work for it.

Yuzu's route in vanilla skips a bunch of bosses, because it's basically running away. Though supposedly it gets a lot better in Overclocked, with the eighth day? I can't vouch for it, though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So I finished Persona 3 FES this afternoon. With so many games I've played, especially recent ones, being pretty short, it's quite amazing to see the time clocking in at over 84 hours for my first run. However after that I kind of don't want to jump right back into it, even though I have a pretty good idea that I've missed a ton of stuff (a bunch of social links I never finished, several of the more involved Persona fusions, a couple of dialog boxes that I hit X too quickly for by mistake.)

How do you get the sidequests involving Elizabeth messing around in the world outside the Velvet Room?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

So I finished Persona 3 FES this afternoon. With so many games I've played, especially recent ones, being pretty short, it's quite amazing to see the time clocking in at over 84 hours for my first run. However after that I kind of don't want to jump right back into it, even though I have a pretty good idea that I've missed a ton of stuff (a bunch of social links I never finished, several of the more involved Persona fusions, a couple of dialog boxes that I hit X too quickly for by mistake.)

How do you get the sidequests involving Elizabeth messing around in the world outside the Velvet Room?

IIRC she should've asked you about it during one of the first times you get to the Velvet Room. She should say something like "I wish to visit this mortal shopping mall of yours" or whatever. They're probably the funniest cutscenes in the game so they're worth going out of your way to do.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

IIRC she should've asked you about it during one of the first times you get to the Velvet Room. She should say something like "I wish to visit this mortal shopping mall of yours" or whatever. They're probably the funniest cutscenes in the game so they're worth going out of your way to do.

I wanna say the first one clicks on in May? It's just a request called "I'd like to visit Paulownia Mall". You accept the request, go over in the afternoon/weekend day, do the thing, get the prize, then the next one eventually lights up. And yeah, the train station visit is probably the highlight of the series.

Also, these Decarabias that has suddenly showed up everywhere in Overclocked are really bothersome with their Shield All and their Mute All.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This is basically my plan, yea. I can't justify buying a costly portable with costly lovely memory drives and costly everything (seriously Sony why do you think the Vita is still worth that?!) just for Persona stuff, but I can buy a cheaper magic box that lets me use my PSN poo poo and also allows me to play Golden finally.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

StandardVC10 posted:

She just tells you about it in May, you must take the quest, and then visit her not in the evening, and get a date option in the dialogue. The next date quest comes after the next full moon.
Oh, and Elizabeth takes none of your time, so you can go right back to socially linking with obsessed lunatics and telling severely injured people to suck it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

It's funny because your dates with Liz are much longer and more entertaining than any of the actual Social Link scenes. She deserved her own Link, but there's probably some plot reason why that wouldn't make sense (like she "doesn't technically exist" or something)