Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, I can almost guarantee that they will save that for Avengers 3 against Thanos.

The big moneyshot of the series is going to be Cap with his shield and Mjolnir going toe to toe with Infinity Gauntlet-wielding Thanos.

"I'm just a kid from Brooklyn" SMASH :allears:

Was hoping we'd hear more about Phase 3 but it's good to know we're a little closer to that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

WickedHate posted:

That's still not equal at all.

Doesn't mean it won't be epic as gently caress.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Hank Pym just got a two day suspension.

Really its good they address it. There will be no confusion about Any Man being a wife beater if it is just an old man scientist, and Ant Man is in fact Paul Rudd who would never harm a fly.

I would disagree. The only reason the slap defines Pym is is that no one ever shuts up about it. Other Avengers/comic book characters in general have done terrible things in the past, but they've been glossed over with time but because every writer wants to be the guy who "fixed Hank Pym" it became his defining trait. The way to really fix it is the same way they "fixed" when Peter Parker socked Mary Jane in the Clone Saga: just stop talking about it and let it be one of those crazy things that gets mentioned on Cracked "Top 10 hosed Up Things In Comics" lists rather than making Pym "that wifebeater who is a superhero too".

And yes, I know that Lang is the star of the show, but if Pym is going to be part of the movie/his past, then I think that maybe Marvel should take the opportunity to maybe try and do something with the character besides "hits wife, shrinks"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn't Avengers 2 the last one they're assured to have Evans as Cap for?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

If it's Captain Falcon that's even better.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

TwoPair posted:

I would disagree. The only reason the slap defines Pym is is that no one ever shuts up about it. Other Avengers/comic book characters in general have done terrible things in the past, but they've been glossed over with time but because every writer wants to be the guy who "fixed Hank Pym" it became his defining trait. The way to really fix it is the same way they "fixed" when Peter Parker socked Mary Jane in the Clone Saga: just stop talking about it and let it be one of those crazy things that gets mentioned on Cracked "Top 10 hosed Up Things In Comics" lists rather than making Pym "that wifebeater who is a superhero too".

And yes, I know that Lang is the star of the show, but if Pym is going to be part of the movie/his past, then I think that maybe Marvel should take the opportunity to maybe try and do something with the character besides "hits wife, shrinks"

I don't know. I think it's kind of refreshing to have a hero who did a legitimately hosed up thing and to not have it glossed over in order to avoid controversy. I agree it shouldn't be his defining trait, but I don't see what's so bad about continuing to acknowledge that 1) it's a thing that happened, 2) it was really bad, and 3) he's still trying to make up for it.

But it kind of rubs me the wrong way when people say that it should just be forgotten about. I say either retire the character or continue to acknowledge that he's a man with severe mental and emotional issues who once struck his wife in anger. I don't understand what's to be gained by pretending that it didn't happen, other than preventing real world ugliness from intruding into our escapist funnybooks. I mean, has there ever been a story that suggested what he did was okay?

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I think he's on a six movie deal, so Cap 2 & Avengers 3 is still on. They explicitly said his cameo in Thor 2 did not count as one of the 6.

enigma105 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I don't know. I think it's kind of refreshing to have a hero who did a legitimately hosed up thing and to not have it glossed over in order to avoid controversy. I agree it shouldn't be his defining trait, but I don't see what's so bad about continuing to acknowledge that 1) it's a thing that happened, 2) it was really bad, and 3) he's still trying to make up for it.

But it kind of rubs me the wrong way when people say that it should just be forgotten about. I say either retire the character or continue to acknowledge that he's a man with severe mental and emotional issues who once struck his wife in anger. I don't understand what's to be gained by pretending that it didn't happen, other than preventing real world ugliness from intruding into our escapist funnybooks. I mean, has there ever been a story that suggested what he did was okay?

Because it becomes the only defining trait of the character and it never, ever, goes away.

It isn't exclusive to Hank Pym, it's just more damaging to him because he has less 'sway' and so gets stuck with it constantly. He isn't allowed to get over it and it's always going to be his trait in a tedious and tiresome way. It's basically akin to how Dr. Light became Dr. Rape except stretched out over a much, much, much longer period.

It isn't about it being okay or not. It's about having nothing more to say about it and retreading the same loving tired plotline over and over again. Nobody is saying these issues shouldn't be in comics, but it's really tiring when it never changes. It's also not something that, as mentioned, happens to other heroes. Tony Stark alone has done things on-par or worse than Hank Pym but Hank Pym is still the Ultron And Slapping Guy while Tony had a backup brain or some bullshit and everyone ignores the time he did stupid poo poo.

I wouldn't even mind Hank Pym's thing being "is a fuckup" if he was allowed to be a fuckup in interesting ways instead of a constant stream of "this time I'll really redeem myself guys!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 27, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh, I'm sure Dr. Rape will get there eventually as well.

There's a limit to how much I could ever really care about Pym so I could either take the mental breakdown or leave it, but we live in a comics age where so many things are retconned or handwaved or otherwise marginalized that, yeah, the fact that one single slap is deemed so important, when the fact that Reed and Tony once cloned Thor to use as a murder weapon is pretty much entirely forgotten at this point, comes across a bit unfair. I guess it's due to a combination of Pym's lower-tier status, along with the fact that occurred during the iconic (and thereby sacrosanct) silver age.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm sure someone will also retcon so that Tigra's baby is Pym's baby, because "the Skrull that impersonated me copied my DNA so perfectly that your baby has virtually no trace of Skrull genetics" sounds like something Pym would make up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

There's a limit to how much I could ever really care about Pym so I could either take the mental breakdown or leave it, but we live in a comics age where so many things are retconned or handwaved or otherwise marginalized that, yeah, the fact that one single slap is deemed so important, when the fact that Reed and Tony once cloned Thor to use as a murder weapon is pretty much entirely forgotten at this point, comes across a bit unfair. I guess it's due to a combination of Pym's lower-tier status, along with the fact that occurred during the iconic (and thereby sacrosanct) silver age.

Goliath's death does not get mentioned nearly enough.

DanteDyas
Sep 4, 2006

..............!?
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x227jq7_bvs_shortfilms

Batman v Superman v Ominous Drums, the teaser. Get it while you can.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Avengers 3 will be the last one they currently have him signed for.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DanteDyas posted:

Why is it that whenever Marvel does something like this everyone is all "great another round of heroes fighting heroes :rolleyes:", but when it's Batman v Superman they all lose their poo poo. It's just as loving dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because it's Dark knight Returns, and separately because Marvel's attempts have always sucked.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I too look forward to Snyder making Dark Knight Returns suck, more. That book does not hold up like people think it does.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
Every nerd knows the money shot is gonna be Chris Evans throwin Mjolnir at Thanos in Avengers 3. If they're already teasing it I'm curious if they're going to save that moment or blow it by having him throw Mjolnir at Ultron.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

DanteDyas posted:

hahahahaha that guy literally shrieking

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Okay, but now you need to do one for everyone else's internal monolog.

Here's my :effort: attempt:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I would normally say that the "moneyshot" of Avengers 3 would be Caps shield being shattered and him still standing up to Thanos but given that Iron Man is the main character i'd presume they'd move that kind of scene onto him.

Gatts posted:

Meh. Give me something interesting to chew on. Threatening a physical confrontation is lame. The ideological and such conflict I hope is good.

Actually all of that is there in the images/video. Batman desperately trying to be a light in the darkness, trying to use his symbol to penetrate the night while Superman is already there in the sky, he is his own symbol. He's an omnipotent force, literally above humans and could easily sweep down and kill Batman but chooses to just threaten him :shepface:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

e X posted:

Sigh. Seriously, 2014, superhero movies are a major blockbuster and we still have to do this dumb eye winking thing. Either have it or don't have it. I know, this is incredible pedantic, but I genuinely don't get this. The scene is in no way important, just a nice bit of character building, a story wouldn't lose anything by not including, so what is this teasing supposed to do?

Obviously he is going to lift it at some point in this franchise, it is just a bit of foreshadowing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
All I'd say about the hammer thing is if he can't quite pick it up now, how is he going to be able to do so later? He's already the loveliest, most decent guy in the world, I can't quite imagine what more he could do between now and (presumably) the Thanos moment that would make him worthy enough.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Maybe Cap can't pick up the hammer because it's hella heavy? Like, technically he could pick it up because he is worthy but he'll have to take another dose of that supersoldier serum before he has the arms to wield a bigass warhammer.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SirDan3k posted:

I too look forward to Snyder making Dark Knight Returns suck, more. That book does not hold up like people think it does.

Can you elaborate? I think it holds up great.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's not amazing, but the movie is only going to be something like 150 minutes; it should be possible to pick out the good parts, add some yourself, and make it decent.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ufarn posted:

It's not amazing, but the movie is only going to be something like 150 minutes; it should be possible to pick out the good parts, add some yourself, and make it decent.

:stare:

My baby son is going to grow up, move out and graduate while I watch Superman scowl at Batman and vice versa.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's not an announced duration, but this is Snyder, the dude who added like half an hour of superfluous superfighting to Man of Steel, so it'll probably be something like that.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe Cap can't pick up the hammer because it's hella heavy? Like, technically he could pick it up because he is worthy but he'll have to take another dose of that supersoldier serum before he has the arms to wield a bigass warhammer.

It sounds like they're fooling around so Cap probably isn't actually committed to lifting the thing. I bet when he's surrounded by death and destruction and his friends are about to be killed he could lift the thing no problem.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

What actually happens is that the avengers realize the Norse gods deduct points from your worth for sobriety. Cue a five-minute scene of Captain America going bar-crawling, before he drunkenly swings Mjolnir around triumpahntly.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DanteDyas posted:

Man, that guy is super excited about Superman just floating there. Did he not know Superman was in BvS until now?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

What actually happens is that the avengers realize the Norse gods deduct points from your worth for sobriety. Cue a five-minute scene of Captain America going bar-crawling, before he drunkenly swings Mjolnir around triumpahntly.

More likely there will be a short scene of Captain America quietly crying into his drink because he remembered that he can't get drunk. The cruelest fate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Captain Bravo posted:

This is why not having Logan in hitherto Avengers film is sad. No Cap & Logan chasing happy hours trying to see who gets drunk first.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Waterhaul posted:

I would normally say that the "moneyshot" of Avengers 3 would be Caps shield being shattered and him still standing up to Thanos but given that Iron Man is the main character i'd presume they'd move that kind of scene onto him.

Actually all of that is there in the images/video. Batman desperately trying to be a light in the darkness, trying to use his symbol to penetrate the night while Superman is already there in the sky, he is his own symbol. He's an omnipotent force, literally above humans and could easily sweep down and kill Batman but chooses to just threaten him :shepface:

I actually disagree, I think by the time Avengers 3 rolls around the Main character is going to switch to Cap.

Ultron seems like Tony's final lesson. when after they take care of it, Cap is going to take over in full. He already was "put in charge" of the Avengers, Fury essentially gave him the keys. Tony is probably funding it. But it seems like Winter Soldier is setting Cap up to be the leader of the gang.

Plus Evans is going to be in at least one more movie before A3 while RDJ(until Marvel finds an even bigger dumptruck) is very much not going to be.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Grendels Dad posted:

More likely there will be a short scene of Captain America quietly crying into his drink because he remembered that he can't get drunk. The cruelest fate.

Just because it's hard, doesn't mean it's not possible.

http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/can-captain-america-get-drunk.php

Cue patriotic music, and several minutes of Cap mainlining everclear. His hardest battle yet!

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

From the description of the Cap hammer thing, it sounded like he started making it budge and Thor noticed and got nervous or whatever, but then Ultron zombie-shuffled in and distracted everyone, cutting the attempt short so that it was just a teaser to a later effort attempt. :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rough Lobster posted:

It sounds like they're fooling around so Cap probably isn't actually committed to lifting the thing. I bet when he's surrounded by death and destruction and his friends are about to be killed he could lift the thing no problem.

Probably the worst event in a long time but this moment still owned

Seeing it happen on the films would be amazing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hey, at least your dreams will probably come true

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Why is Superman so excited? As far as I can tell the only thing the hammer does for Thor is enhancing his strength, enabling him to fly and give him some vague control over lightning? Superman can already do most of those things and then some.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Grendels Dad posted:

Why is Superman so excited? As far as I can tell the only thing the hammer does for Thor is enhancing his strength, enabling him to fly and give him some vague control over lightning? Superman can already do most of those things and then some.

Yeah but now he can do it without being blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Why does Superman need a shield? Put that down and give it to Robin or something.

• Locked thread