Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Watch it, there's 207 calories in a 3 oz. pour. I know this from when I was trying to track my calories while getting drunk. I eventually had to stop one of those two behaviors.

Your math is broken.

There are 69 calories in a 44ml shot of Makers, 3oz is 88ml so there is 138 calories in a 3oz pour.

Co-worker once told everyone that liquor has no calories :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

Your math is broken.

There are 69 calories in a 44ml shot of Makers, 3oz is 88ml so there is 138 calories in a 3oz pour.

Co-worker once told everyone that liquor has no calories :downs:

Yup he's an idiot.

It's actually WORSE for you then straight refined sugar.

I love beer, I hate the calories in it. 250 calories in a 12OZ bottle*. :smith:

*Will vary from beer to beer.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, beer is awful for calories. Even light beers are around a hundred each so, as a big man with high tolerance, getting even to an okay place on beer is like a large meal's worth of totally empty calories. I've also been drinking a lot of malt liquor lately, which needs to stop. I just got paid, so I think this weekend needs to be more about gin and drugs.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

simplefish posted:

German Purity Law, you say? :godwinning:

I seem to remember it was partially passed to keep people from brewing all the food-wheat into beer?

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Found a gift card for the liquor store while cleaning out my wallet. It has enough on it for me to get a quality whiskey. This is going to be good.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Going to saviour it or blow it in a night? Tough choice isn't it.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Blow it with us. Bachelor Chat's up and rolling: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/guk6du5whyr443jj5eq73wyyqma?hl=en

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

cname posted:

gin = christmas trees, vodka = gross potatoes and rum is literally sugar.

Gin comes in two types, Christmas tree or citrus. Try some Bombay Sapphire or Tangueray Rangpur. Vodka that's actually made from potatoes is surprisingly difficult to find (in the US anyway) and it's usually not bottom shelf; accursed soy has mostly taken over that segment. Rum is literally alcohol and most of the 'good ones' aren't sweet.

Splizwarf has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Jul 27, 2014

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Good news and bad news time.

The good: I have an interview with a local Mercedes dealership to be the guy who drives the cars off the transport truck, puts the first five miles on them, and parks them in the lot. $12 an hour, full time, benefits.

The bad: No more coming to work hungover. Drinking only allowed on Friday and Saturday nights.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

I'm a father and a husband, but I still endeavor to live in my own filth and drink as much as I can. Can I still join the chat?

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Captain Trips posted:

The good: I have an interview with a local Mercedes dealership to be the guy who drives the cars off the transport truck, puts the first five miles on them, and parks them in the lot. $12 an hour, full time, benefits.

The bad: No more coming to work hungover. Drinking only allowed on Friday and Saturday nights.

Is this considered good wage?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Babygravy posted:

To literally just drive Mercedes Benz's for 8 hours a day? As compared to my current mind-numbing retail job at $8.25 am hour?

I'll take it.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Ok just getting wage reference since our minimum wage in Australia is like 13.75 or something, but our standard of living is a lot higher.

Pretty good for what he's doing then!

Shame about the life adjustment though. Bachelor on the weekends!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Babygravy posted:

In Ohio? Yes.

Edit: Minimum wage here is 7.95 I think.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Just wanted to step in on the creme brulee beer chat. I'm in MN near the WI border and every once in a while I manage to catch Southern Tier Creme Brulee beer and goddamn is that amazing/strong beer. It really seems like distribution is hit or miss, which pains me a great deal. I know its seasonal, but I've ran across kegs in bars that have been way out of the season, and bottles of it here and there. I guess what I'm saying is that its loving amazing, and difficult for me to get. My great white sonofabitch whale beer.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Pumpking is too sweet but Souther Tier have some sort of imperial pumpkin stout (there's a wizard on the bottle I think?) that is much better because the higher alcohol balances it out.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Captain Trips posted:

This is all good. Eventually we gotta grow up and the secondary gain is that our organs stop hating us so much. I've been working a ton lately. I work 12s as a nurse so literally all I do during stretches of working is come home and shower, sleep, go back to work. No time for bullshit. It makes time off that much sweeter, and tolerance goes way down by the next time I do drink. :v:
Plus anyone with a full-time job with benefits right now is pretty lucky.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

door Door door posted:

Pumpking is too sweet but Souther Tier have some sort of imperial pumpkin stout (there's a wizard on the bottle I think?) that is much better because the higher alcohol balances it out.

I am a big fan of the Harpoon pumpkin.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Taeke posted:

My sister's boyfriend's beer of choice is Heineken. I always bring my own when visiting them, usually either Belgian beer or Grolsch, or, if I'm short on cash, something cheap like Bavaria, which isn't great but at least it's better than Heineken.

I mean, I'm not a snob and I'll happily drink Heineken if there's no other beer, but if I've got the choice, give me something that has a bit more taste to it.
That's pretty much why we picked it for the contest. It's not very tasting making it good when we need one beer for lots of people to drink a lot of.

Sizone posted:

I'm a father and a husband, but I still endeavor to live in my own filth and drink as much as I can. Can I still join the chat?
A bit late now, but yes.

whatshesaid posted:

You son of a bitch. Take lots of pictures for us.
I should have a billion pictures from last year but they're still stuck in my friend's camera because he is a terrible person. I'll try to remember the fact that I have a camera on my phone.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I am a big fan of the Harpoon pumpkin.

This pumpkin beer chat is getting me way excited :spooky: :neckbeard:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Does it have a pumpkin after taste like banana bread beer?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

In the US "benefits" usually includes health insurance, which just by itself makes the job into a good job. Before my current job, paying for my own health insurance was nearly 1/3 of my income.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

In the US "benefits" usually includes health insurance, which just by itself makes the job into a good job. Before my current job, paying for my own health insurance was nearly 1/3 of my income.

Not wanting to start a derail but holy poo poo that is some institutionalised bullshit right there. Medicare in aus costs about %1 of income. Private is about 120 a month. I'm hoping the the founding fathers would be ashamed.

How did you afford to drink?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The option to pay in for vision and dental is a big plus, too.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Babygravy posted:

Does it have a pumpkin after taste like banana bread beer?

Yep! Schlafley Pumpkin Ale tastes like pumpkin pie.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Outrail posted:

Not wanting to start a derail but holy poo poo that is some institutionalised bullshit right there. Medicare in aus costs about %1 of income. Private is about 120 a month. I'm hoping the the founding fathers would be ashamed.

How did you afford to drink?

Drinking is fun and easy now! #ObamacareSuccessStories

It IS bullshit, 1/3 of your income shouldn't be going to anything but rent. Or videogames if you're living right.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Private cover costs me about 86 a month in Australia, but that's just me alone without cover for pregnancies etc

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

door Door door posted:

Warlock and it's one of the best pumpkin beers. Pumpking isn't very good..

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My job offered me $20 a month for unlimited doctor visits, but that's all they are. Talk to the doctor. Any kinda real tests or whatever cost the same as they normally would. It's really only good for people like asthmatics or diabetics who know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they need a prescription every month or whatever.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Yep! Schlafley Pumpkin Ale tastes like pumpkin pie.

That's the other good one, thank you. Couldn't remember. Schlafley and Harpoon are the good ones, the other pumpkin ales are either dramatically overblown and chewing the scenery (eg Southern Tier pumpkin and everything else they make) or just dull/awful (eg Sam Adams pumpkin).

Southern Tier is the Michael Bay of breweries. :colbert:

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
O' Fallon's pumpkin used to be my favorite, but last year I bought a case and threw away a case minus about 3 beers. It was just awful last year. I'm not sure that I've ever seen Harpoon pumpkin so I'll be looking out for it.

Has anyone seen any out yet? I've been waiting but nothing yet.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
I just "sous-vide"'d some hotdogs...

Took the whole pack out of the freezer, threw them in hot water in the sink to thaw. When I checked on them, I realized that there was no point in cooking hotdogs without a grill, they just needed to be warm. Filled the other half of the sink with hot water, let the pack soak. They were only warm after that. I ran full-temp hot water over the package for 20 minutes and huzzah, hot hotdogs to dip into the soy/sriracha sauce mix I made while waiting.

Dinner!

Tiny has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Jul 30, 2014

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
You sir are a god amongst men. Also with frankfurts that's not too dangerous anyway, mine come pretty much cooked.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Tiny posted:

Took the whole pack out of the freezer, threw them in hot water in the sink to thaw. When I checked on them, I realized that there was no point in cooking hotdogs without a grill, they just needed to be warm. Filled the other half of the sink with hot water, let the pack soak. They were only warm after that. I ran full-temp hot water over the package for 20 minutes and huzzah, hot hotdogs to dip into the soy/sriracha sauce mix I made while waiting.

Dinner!

Posts like this are the reason why I keep checking this thread. Bravo to you, sir.

On another hot dog related note - I ate some I got from the dollar store and didn't die, so go me, I guess.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Chocolatey cereal and blueberry beer is an acceptable dinner after hearing that your ex has to give the cat you adopted together to a rescue, right? I can't take the cat myself because she's in Florida, I'm in New Mexico, and I don't have the money to ship him on such short notice.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Tiny posted:

Dinner!

Next time ditch the bag and toss them in a simmering pot of salsa.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

LivesInGrey posted:

Chocolatey cereal and blueberry beer is an acceptable dinner after hearing that your ex has to give the cat you adopted together to a rescue, right? I can't take the cat myself because she's in Florida, I'm in New Mexico, and I don't have the money to ship him on such short notice.

Why can't your ex keep the cat?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

She has to move back in with her mother, who refuses to allow animals in her house, for financial reasons.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

LivesInGrey posted:

Can she board him for a few days, or have a local friend hang onto him until you can ship him/drive out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
As much as that situation sucks I feel more for the animals. Too many people get a dog or cat and think of it as a short term pet rather than the up to 15 years they can live for... Then pound them try palm them off etc. it's a big commitment. People take it too lightly. Not saying that's your situation, just lashing out at people in general.

• Locked thread