Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Cakefool posted:

re: crème brulée

Wait wait wait, what? Where?

I had a bottle while rolling through Illinois. It smelled like the best crème brulée ever made.

It tasted like burnt sugary gutter sludge and I couldn't take more than 5 sips. What a waste of potential.

That night I also had a beer that used basil. Smelled and tasted like basil. It was infinitely more palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Pleads posted:

I had a bottle while rolling through Illinois. It smelled like the best crème brulée ever made.

It tasted like burnt sugary gutter sludge and I couldn't take more than 5 sips. What a waste of potential.

That night I also had a beer that used basil. Smelled and tasted like basil. It was infinitely more palatable.

Blue Moon makes a beer called Tongue Thai'd that has basil in it. It smells kinda like pizza sauce and tastes surprisingly good. Speaking of weird tasting beers, Trader Joe's carries a Hefeweizen that smells and tastes very vaguely of ham, but it's not bad. I've got a bomber of high gravity stout getting cold for tonight. I may have to get a growler from one of the microbreweries in town for this weekend since it's probably my last weekend before I have to move back home and out of this magical place with legal pot and good beer I've called home this summer.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Captain Trips posted:

My friends and I have determined that there isn't a single good beer that comes in a green bottle.

Some tolerable ones like Yeungling and Dos Equis, but no "good beers"

I quite enjoy Carlsberg and Pilsner Urquel (or as I like to call it: Urkel Beer).

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Bourbon life.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Trips posted:

My friends and I have determined that there isn't a single good beer that comes in a green bottle.

Green glass lets through UV rays, which causes a fun little chemical reaction that leads to skunky flavors. Fun experiment: grab a bottle (green) of Heineken and a can of Heineken. It'll really show what green bottles do.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Yah it looks like a lot of us have started reading this, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054

If you haven't, go there, read, and have fun.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

VendaGoat posted:

Yah it looks like a lot of us have started reading this, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054

If you haven't, go there, read, and have fun.

That thread kinda sucks. It's very snobby, probably even moreso than Beer Advocate. I wish there was a thrifty beer thread where people wouldn't make you feel inferior for not spending $100 on four bombers or spending your entire morning literally stalking a distributor truck as it delivers to a bunch of beer stores just so you can get a bunch of limited beers (Yes, I'm thinking of actual posts from that thread).

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Meatwave posted:

That thread kinda sucks. It's very snobby, probably even moreso than Beer Advocate. I wish there was a thrifty beer thread where people wouldn't make you feel inferior for not spending $100 on four bombers or spending your entire morning literally stalking a distributor truck as it delivers to a bunch of beer stores just so you can get a bunch of limited beers (Yes, I'm thinking of actual posts from that thread).

The bachelor thread is pretty much the lowbrow beer thread. We don't judge you too harshly for your horrible drinking habits as long as you aren't a disgusting goon lord. If you have a Trader Joe's that sells beer/wine and if you're lucky, liquor, it's one of the best/cheapest places to buy decent beer,or not that good but really cheap beer. $2.99 a six pack of their house brand cans, which apparently is pretty awful but hey, it's alcohol.

There's a Costco being built an hour away from me, finally. Gonna split a membership with my dad and buy so much poo poo. :getin:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Meatwave posted:

You can at least use it to get leads on good brews.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Meatwave posted:

I figured that's what this thread is for. I've gotten the goods on several lovely beers from fellow bachelor goons.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

To be fair, there are one or two posters who will drop into this thread all upset that you dare to drink the wrong kind of mixed drinks or cook your steaks without a science apparatus or whatever. By and large though, thread's pretty chill.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Eh, forget the spergs, drink more.

Bachelor motto

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

To be fair, there are one or two posters who will drop into this thread all upset that you dare to drink the wrong kind of mixed drinks or cook your steaks without a science apparatus or whatever. By and large though, thread's pretty chill.

Internet contains spergs, news at 11.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I'm cooking a whole bunch of rice in chicken stock, balsamic vinegar and cheap beer that came in a green bottle. My house smells amazing besides all the perfume, yurgh!

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

sorry but sous vide is bachelor as gently caress and there's no excuse for never using it in tyool 2014 unless you eat like Ulillillia, the ultimate bachelor.

anyway, finally got released yesterday. already had 3 classes of drugs, half a case of Tecate, homemade chicken soup, tons of fresh fruit and some polish sausages, relaxing with two gallons of arnold palmers and a handle of vodka now :dukedog:

also won tickets to lynyrd skynyrd and bad company yesterday, that was a little amusing, today I won tickets to panic at the disco for tomorrow. my girlfriend's kid loves them so she gets to go endure their pitiful whining :)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Straker posted:

sorry but sous vide is bachelor as gently caress and there's no excuse for never using it in tyool 2014 unless you eat like Ulillillia, the ultimate bachelor.

That and having opinions about drinks is cool and all, but gently caress getting mad and judgemental about it.

Also hell yeah Tecate :cheers:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm having PBR and Yuengling. gently caress anyone who says I'm wrong, because the drunk feels so right. It's been a good bachelor night.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Pleads posted:

This pretty much sums up all of Southern Tier's offerings. Their Pumpking was so goddamn sweet, it tasted like someone melted a bag of candy corn and poured into the bottle.

Grape Soda posted:

The bachelor thread is pretty much the lowbrow beer thread. We don't judge you too harshly for your horrible drinking habits as long as you aren't a disgusting goon lord. If you have a Trader Joe's that sells beer/wine and if you're lucky, liquor, it's one of the best/cheapest places to buy decent beer,or not that good but really cheap beer. $2.99 a six pack of their house brand cans, which apparently is pretty awful but hey, it's alcohol.

This. Despite what I feel is good-natured ribbing about alcohol choices between a lot of us, I don't think many of us actually CARE what you drink. We're happy to offer suggestions, and of course everyone has their favorites, but yeah, unless you're a disgusting alcoholic slob, or you're a douche, none of us is going to judge. As much as I love good microbrew beers, I enjoy PBR and Rolling Rock as well. Who cares?

Also, this!

10 Beers has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Jul 25, 2014

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

10 Beers posted:

Dear god, I'm sorry. Heineken is loving foul.

It's not that bad. It's far from good, though, and I really miss good beer. Might cheat over the weekend as a birthday present to myself.

Speaking of beer, booked tickets to Oktoberfest (the real one in Munich) the other day. I was there last year and it's pretty loving great so if you like beer you should go there some time.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Price Chopper (at least the ones near me,) do a 6 for $9.

I feel it's a little overpriced, since none of the beers are really top-tier...or even upper mid-tier. Mostly firmer medium mid-tier and lower mid-tier. Ones that go for like $7 or $8 for a 6-pack, and anywhere from $11-$14 for a 12-pack, so I feel I'm paying $1 to $2 more than I should.

Went to my local in Australia today.. 12 pack mixed beers was going to cost more then a case! The only concession they give you is 10 percent off... Yay. ( Australian beer tax laws suck, the total would've been $65 for 12 btw)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Captain Trips posted:

Tsingtao beer is always a nice accompaniment when eating at an all you can eat Chinese place

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Babygravy posted:

Went to my local in Australia today.. 12 pack mixed beers was going to cost more then a case! The only concession they give you is 10 percent off... Yay. ( Australian beer tax laws suck, the total would've been $65 for 12 btw)

Sigh, binge drinking is our national sport but they make it so hard engage in without the shame of buying a cask of Fruity Lexia on a Saturday night.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

Also hell yeah Tecate :cheers:
:hfive:
I'm in Chicago so can get any of like 400 different beers at the drop of a hat, but for whatever reason lately Tecate is like, my go-to cheap but tastes good not-super-heavy beer. Like 15 bucks for a 24 pack at Jewel.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

monolithburger posted:

Sigh, binge drinking is our national sport but they make it so hard engage in without the shame of buying a cask of Fruity Lexia on a Saturday night.

The local bottle shop has a 30-beer case of some cheap crap for $30! It's vaguely drinkable!

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I don't see the problem with Heineken. If I want to get suitably drunk I'll buy a sixpack. Only bad thing is they changed the can recently and now it's not so good to hold.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

monolithburger posted:

Fruity Lexia makes you sexier!!

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Australian beer prices are so brutal. I went a couple weeks without drinking and at the end of it bought a ukelele. That's how expensive it is here. It's ukelele money.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

redweird posted:

Australian beer prices are so brutal. I went a couple weeks without drinking and at the end of it bought a ukelele. That's how expensive it is here. It's ukelele money.

That's rough. I'll usually get a 12 of PBR for like $8, and that's not looking for a sale.

I'm not a Heineken fan, it always makes me feel like I'm drinking skunk spray.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Pharmaskittle posted:

That's rough. I'll usually get a 12 of PBR for like $8, and that's not looking for a sale.

I'm not a Heineken fan, it always makes me feel like I'm drinking skunk spray.

A sixpack of PBR quality beer would be around 13-15 dollars here.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Captain Trips posted:

I see you and raise you:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My sister's boyfriend's beer of choice is Heineken. I always bring my own when visiting them, usually either Belgian beer or Grolsch, or, if I'm short on cash, something cheap like Bavaria, which isn't great but at least it's better than Heineken.

I mean, I'm not a snob and I'll happily drink Heineken if there's no other beer, but if I've got the choice, give me something that has a bit more taste to it.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

I don't think I'll ever get off the grain. I love beer, Whiskey/Burbon and Saki but gin = christmas trees, vodka = gross potatoes and rum is literally sugar.

Maker's Mark might need to happen, tonight. Tuesday was a beer night, so I really outta save calories tonight and get drunk off Burbon. It's the healthy thing to do.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

redweird posted:

A sixpack of PBR quality beer would be around 13-15 dollars here.

Yikes. That's how much a 30 rack of Busch costs at WalMart here.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

cname posted:

I don't think I'll ever get off the grain. I love beer, Whiskey/Burbon and Saki but gin = christmas trees, vodka = gross potatoes and rum is literally sugar.

Maker's Mark might need to happen, tonight. Tuesday was a beer night, so I really outta save calories tonight and get drunk off Burbon. It's the healthy thing to do.

Watch it, there's 207 calories in a 3 oz. pour. I know this from when I was trying to track my calories while getting drunk. I eventually had to stop one of those two behaviors.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Watch it, there's 207 calories in a 3 oz. pour. I know this from when I was trying to track my calories while getting drunk. I eventually had to stop one of those two behaviors.

Isn't the solution to this to eat very lightly that day, thus saving calories in multiple ways?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Featured Creature posted:

Isn't the solution to this to eat very lightly that day, thus saving calories in multiple ways?

No, the secret is to donate blood, you lose ~650 calories per donation and you don't need to drink as much to get drunk!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I quite enjoy Carlsberg and Pilsner Urquel (or as I like to call it: Urkel Beer).

Jever is an outstanding beer as well. To avoid the light-struck issue, I used to regularly split a case of it with a buddy. Seconding the Carlsberg and PU as well. Beck's is also pretty solid.

One thing that is exciting for me is that since the EU did away with the Purity Law, German brewers have started experimenting with isomerized hops. Bitburger is one of my favorite beers and since they've started using the stabilized hops it tastes so much better in the US. I love the old-timey romanticism of unmodified ingredients but I care more about the end results.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

German Purity Law, you say? :godwinning:

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Man with Hat posted:

Speaking of beer, booked tickets to Oktoberfest (the real one in Munich) the other day.

You son of a bitch. Take lots of pictures for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Shbobdb posted:

Jever is an outstanding beer as well. To avoid the light-struck issue, I used to regularly split a case of it with a buddy. Seconding the Carlsberg and PU as well. Beck's is also pretty solid.

One thing that is exciting for me is that since the EU did away with the Purity Law, German brewers have started experimenting with isomerized hops. Bitburger is one of my favorite beers and since they've started using the stabilized hops it tastes so much better in the US. I love the old-timey romanticism of unmodified ingredients but I care more about the end results.

I used to rock the Beck's Sapphire until they started selling Miller Fortune.

• Locked thread