Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Slovenian, Marxist Luke. Intriguing.

I'm so glad I wan't the only one who when "Zizek!" on seeing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

And here I was hoping that the canon reset would get rid of the insane clutter between ANH and ESB.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

jivjov posted:

And here I was hoping that the canon reset would get rid of the insane clutter between ANH and ESB.
I doubt it'll get that badly out of hand this time..

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

These are basically the most disappointingly bland play-it-safe choices they could have chosen to launch their new Star Wars line with, but really, who was expecting anything less?

I do think it's funny that the main "Star Wars"-titled comic is going to be the exact same thing as the current main "Star Wars"-titled comic, which was even being written by a current Marvel writer. Even starting off with a Darth Vader series, or a comic exploring Leia's loss of Alderaan, or the whole "series of miniseries" concept all seem like they just decided to recycle Dark Horse's recent OT-era output.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

These are basically the most disappointingly bland play-it-safe choices they could have chosen to launch their new Star Wars line with, but really, who was expecting anything less?

I do think it's funny that the main "Star Wars"-titled comic is going to be the exact same thing as the current main "Star Wars"-titled comic, which was even being written by a current Marvel writer. Even starting off with a Darth Vader series, or a comic exploring Leia's loss of Alderaan, or the whole "series of miniseries" concept all seem like they just decided to recycle Dark Horse's recent OT-era output.

Yeah, but I can live with that. Trash all that came before, then mine it for what worked.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
It looks like allegedly, the plot of Ep7 is going to be basically The Glove of Darth Vader, but with Luke's hand instead.

Can't wait for someone to bid dark greetings. Also apparently Luke's hand is Thing from the Addams Family.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I hope this is a hoax. On the one hand, that is pretty hilarious. But on the other hand, seriously not going to use anything from the Thrawn trilogy?

I mean it even has a clone theme guys. You guys love clones!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It looks like allegedly, the plot of Ep7 is going to be basically The Glove of Darth Vader, but with Luke's hand instead.

Can't wait for someone to bid dark greetings. Also apparently Luke's hand is Thing from the Addams Family.
I hope that's fake. Luke disappearing for 30 years seems so unbelievably stupid.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I don't think I've liked a single thing JJ Abrams has ever done. I expect his Star Wars movies will be worse than the prequels. But even I don't think he'd use a plot that incredibly lovely.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't think I've liked a single thing JJ Abrams has ever done. I expect his Star Wars movies will be worse than the prequels.

It'd be an achievement if he could actually make Star Wars films that are worse than the prequels. I don't think it's possible to make a film that's more boring than the Phantom Menace. At least, I hope not :ohdear:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

It'd be an achievement if he could actually make Star Wars films that are worse than the prequels. I don't think it's possible to make a film that's more boring than the Phantom Menace. At least, I hope not :ohdear:

As terrible as the prequels were for plot, character development, acting, etc, they still "felt" like Star Wars. It's what Timothy Zahn mentioned in his notes on the other page, that you have to capture the feel of Star Wars, otherwise it is just a generic space opera where people, places, and things share the same name as those in Star Wars.

That's what Abrams flubbed with nuTrek, even beyond the plot and character development issues. It doesn't feel like Star Trek at all, it feels like they took your standard Acme Space Opera setting and put some familiar names on it. If he does the same thing with Star Wars, where you have a nonsensical plot, no development, not plausible motivations, no defining character traits, sequences that exist just to wink at the original without the charm, and sequences in there just to give them stuff to sell swag of, and then layers in it doesn't feel like the same thing, it would meet my definition of worse. It would have all the problems, without the redeeming trait.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 27, 2014

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I bet the Sun Crusher makes an appearance.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Hoping Ep8 is a Darksaber adaptation. I don't even know if it's a real hope or an ironic hope. I just want to see Darksaber on the big screen. Also the Bounty Hunter Wars books or whichever the incredibly convoluted one was.

Basically I want them to do all the poo poo that's so stupid it becomes funny again.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Hoping Ep8 is a Darksaber adaptation. I don't even know if it's a real hope or an ironic hope. I just want to see Darksaber on the big screen. Also the Bounty Hunter Wars books or whichever the incredibly convoluted one was.

Basically I want them to do all the poo poo that's so stupid it becomes funny again.

If it has bossk tripping over his own feet or running into a door I'll pay 14 bucks just to see that. Reminder:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope that's fake. Luke disappearing for 30 years seems so unbelievably stupid.

I haven't read the link, but Luke being missing/in hiding for decades prior to Episode VII, like Ben Kenobi or Yoda, is a no-brainer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I love the fact that Bossk and Fett are in weird two handed back stabbing circle with that graph. That Lets Read of those books is one of my favourites. Did Ricky add it to that blog he was working on?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

SeanBeansShako posted:

I love the fact that Bossk and Fett are in weird two handed back stabbing circle with that graph. That Lets Read of those books is one of my favourites. Did Ricky add it to that blog he was working on?

I love that Ob Fortuna apparently stabbed himself in the back.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

qntm posted:

I haven't read the link, but Luke being missing/in hiding for decades prior to Episode VII, like Ben Kenobi or Yoda, is a no-brainer.
Why? They had a specific reason for hiding. I highly doubt they came up with a good reason.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Why? They had a specific reason for hiding. I highly doubt they came up with a good reason.

The original rumors were because "Jedi Hunters" took over the Empire after Palpatine's death and Luke was hiding from them, but that original rumor was debunked by those who posted it (and was pretty clearly nonsense anyway).

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Casimir Radon posted:

It's poetry, it rhymes...

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Casimir Radon posted:

Might it make sense to wait until we have any idea if that is even the actual plot before we judge it to be lacking?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fried Chicken posted:

As terrible as the prequels were for plot, character development, acting, etc, they still "felt" like Star Wars.

I'd say that's 87% due to John Williams' score. He does the score for the new one too, doesn't he?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Barlow posted:

Might it make sense to wait until we have any idea if that is even the actual plot before we judge it to be lacking?
If that is the plot I think there's an 80% chance of the movie sucking.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nope. http://libraryforlorn.blogspot.com/

His other Let's Read's are great though.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
There's an interview with John Jackson Miller about the "new canon" books here. I think it's a waste to use Miller on a Rebels tie-in, but having him write it is probably the only thing that would get me to read it, so I'm not sure how to feel about it. If this materialist perspective stuff is real and not just a tease, I'm actually looking forward to it.

John Jackson Miller posted:

That’s another one of the big attractions of this book for me, is that I got to write about the Imperial machine as it’s really getting revved up. I got to deal with the logistical matters that they have to tackle. How did the Empire grow from being a republic that was really a trade organization, and how did it turn into this monstrosity that is turning out Star Destroyers and other warships by the thousands? How is it that it can get control of the necessary labor and industry? What does that do to the individuals?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know, I generally like Miller, but whenever he goes from focusing on character-driven works to describing the larger galaxy, he has some weird views. I remember the KOTOR comic had some weird stuff about the Senate (don't quite imagine what) and he also made a big retcon about how the Republic didn't have an army back then. And that quote in particular...for one, does he seriously think that the Republic was a "trade organization"? What does that even mean? And, uh... we know pretty well at this point how it became the Empire, that's what every Clone Wars source for the past 12 years has been showing is nonstop.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's the best part about the reset. they're now letting these massive hacks not only change the distant past and future of Star Wars, they're now letting those people who should never have been let anywhere near the franchise into positions where they get to completely redefine the core time period.

They couldn't leave well enough alone before and they certainly have no disincentive here to simply not gently caress around again.

In other words:

api call girl posted:

They're saying to put out hits on Troy Denning now, instead of when it's too late.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How come Marvel gets to have a cameo from Howard the goddamn Duck (GotG) and we're never going to see Thrawn on the big screen? :smith:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I haven't paid any attention at all to hype and rumors about the new movies but after mulling that last post around for a minute I now think it's probably a blessing in disguise that we won't get Thrawn in the new movies. The stuff that makes Thrawn a decent star wars villain would not translate well to the big screen for a few reasons.

1. You can't lens flare psychological assessment, which is what Thrawn does. The stuff that makes him a good character (relatively speaking, considering other EU characters) is that he ISN'T just a tougher, meaner, mightier bad guy. He's cerebral and calculating and intelligent and psychological. Thrawn does not have a larger gun or a bigger death star and if he did it would negate his character as exceedingly clever and forward-thinking. The books even make a point of pointing this out in the ruse with the faked superweapon/cloaked (and coordinated) ships.
2. The Star Wars movie universe is set to go in the "bigger bad guys with bigger weapons" direction for a long time. That's what the prequels were about - finding the threat to the Jedi in the form of ever-more-powerful Sith. First there was Maul, then there was Dooku, then Palpatine and finally Anakin. So the next movies are definitely gonna have threats to the Jedi take the form of even stronger Sith or a new superweapon like the sun crusher or some bullshit. So basically intelligent characters are at best ineffectual and at worst have no place in the star wars movie universe as it exists today.
3. JJ Abrams absolutely can't film psychological characters. He has never done it, and he never will do it, because he doesn't know how to show it and frankly it's not his style. Since he's directing it's pretty clear that we're gonna get a star wars version of the Star Trek reboot or its sequel. Lots of racing against time, lots of mugging at the camera, lots of MacGuffins, very little in the way of sense or coherence beyond brand-recognition-style callouts to previous star wars stuff, LOTS of heavy-handed moral choices. That doesn't mean it won't be fun to watch, though it probably won't be, but at this point if you pay to see a Star Wars movie you should expect a poo poo sandwich with lots of boring special effects. Also you should change your debit card PIN because you're probably the kind of person who uses their address or birthdate, seriously, what the hell is wrong with you god drat it

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Which director would you choose to shoot the Thrawn trilogy? I'd say Traffic-era Steven Soderbergh. If you say JJ Abrams I'll come to your house and mess up your pots and pans.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Van Dis posted:

Which director would you choose to shoot the Thrawn trilogy? I'd say Traffic-era Steven Soderbergh. If you say JJ Abrams I'll come to your house and mess up your pots and pans.

JJ Abrams.

My kitchen looks like poo poo anyway.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

David Lynch.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

David Lynch.

Uh, yes.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
It would make more sense to me to give Rian Johnson control of the whole trilogy. Looper is miles better than anything Abrams has done, and it would keep the whole trilogy cohesive without making Johnson follow Abrams' style.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I'd unironically love it if somebody let Joel Schumacher direct a non-canon Star Wars.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

-Fish- posted:

I'd unironically love it if somebody let Joel Schumacher direct a non-canon Star Wars.

Ice skating Stormtroopers with nipples on the armour. Go on.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ice skating Stormtroopers with nipples on the armour. Go on.

Sith Lord Darth Punmaka and his fabulous feather boa lightsaber fights Luke Skywalker in a gorilla costume.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is there another big Star Wars thread in these forums somewhere?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's one in Cinema Discusso, or at least there was one a while ago when I last checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

Is there another big Star Wars thread in these forums somewhere?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514675