Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

In that sense, it's really a perfect life "hack." It's cludgy, of dubious practicality and liable to gently caress up spectacularly but you still use it because you're too cheap and lazy to do it properly.

One weird tip for self-inflicted facial reconstruction surgery. Doctors hate this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Which nations army is that holding the target sign?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KernelSlanders posted:

This morning I didn't know suicide by chainsaw was a thing, but now I've seen pictures. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lESp7ns5NGI&t=39s

i am a broken human being

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I am probably more so for knowing exactly what that link led to before clicking it.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

God drat it I was going to post this.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mordhaus is pretty much the precise opposite of OSHA in every respect.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

What's the story behind this?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

A cable broke and a tugboat/ancillary vessel fell into the ocean?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ppF2yK4NM

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

At least no one was in the basket?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Oh hell yeah.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

glad to see trogdor getting work

Yeah since it looks like he lost his arm. Probably in some kind of preventable workplace accident.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

At least no one was in the basket?

I don't get it.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

boat heavy

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

:eyepop:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Leperflesh posted:

I don't get it.

It's being used as a crane to lift a part of the sign. Hard to see.

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qwmvBJV5Pg

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Every time I try this in GTA the trailer just pops off. :mad:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

razorrozar posted:

"Who cares if it might be of medical help? It's not entertaining, so gently caress it."

I'm 100% certain that was the reason. Doctor sees a really cool injury and wants to show all his doctor friends for mad med cred but can't just whip out his phone and start snapping. I know, "Nurse get some x-rays of the soft tissue damage because reasons!"

Then the images come back and, whaddaya know, now the injury looks ten times as badass.

I've seen this picture countless times, but have always been so focused on the guy sitting under a target that I never looked at the background and noticed that he's just sitting in front of a bunch of shops and only separated from them by a wooden fence.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

It's being used as a crane to lift a part of the sign. Hard to see.

Oh. Is that not allowed? How heavy do you suppose that sign is?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Leperflesh posted:

Oh. Is that not allowed? How heavy do you suppose that sign is?

Generally, it's a good idea to only use machines for their designed purpose, since to do otherwise could easily exceed operating tolerances in unforeseen ways. It's also entirely possible that this arm is indeed designed to hoist a modest load, which, given the application, seems like a no-brainer.

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.

VectorSigma posted:

Generally, it's a good idea to only use machines for their designed purpose, since to do otherwise could easily exceed operating tolerances in unforeseen ways. It's also entirely possible that this arm is indeed designed to hoist a modest load, which, given the application, seems like a no-brainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiU42KI1GUw&t=1m50s

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

No, you fools, it's not Russia:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/Small-Worlds/2570793

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

whoa

nice job on those buddy. that's some nice work

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

I Greyhound posted:

Yes, when you look for bad things in medical literature, you'll find it.

It's like rule 34's evil twin. Any chance that dragon poster is part of a series?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

VectorSigma posted:

It's also entirely possible that this arm is indeed designed to hoist a modest load, which, given the application, seems like a no-brainer.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most every sign-company cherry-picker I've seen in person has a lil' block-and-tackle with a hook under the bucket, for hoisting small signs/pieces of signs (like the ones that are individual 5-foot-high letters). Unfortunately, the place I'm working this week isn't getting a new sign, most weeks I'd be able to get a picture of it in action.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Those probably have more structural integrity than a Russian building.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Irradiation posted:

Those probably have more structural integrity than a Russian building.

Well, these do remind me a bit of the hotels built for the Sochi Olympics:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Some cutting edge social commentary:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Some cutting edge social commentary:

swap.avi 2: swap harder behind the scenes.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

If you GIS 'construction fails' there are a ton of pictures of staircases that go nowhere or end abruptly in mid-air.

And other stuff.

If there are any UGA goons here, go to Aderhold Hall. It's this fairly big 7 story building with elevators.

Here's the secret: It has escalators! Don't believe me? It's because they're hidden. When Aderhold was built they originally had escalators. Well at one point they broke and instead of fixing them they decided it would be better to just use the elevators and build walls around the escalators to make it look like they never existed in the first place.

That attitude of "gently caress it let's put in a lot of effort to hide the problem instead of using the same amount of effort to fix the problem" has persisted throughout the years there and that's one reason why I don't work there anymore!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

TheReverend posted:

If there are any UGA goons here, go to Aderhold Hall. It's this fairly big 7 story building with elevators.

Here's the secret: It has escalators! Don't believe me? It's because they're hidden. When Aderhold was built they originally had escalators. Well at one point they broke and instead of fixing them they decided it would be better to just use the elevators and build walls around the escalators to make it look like they never existed in the first place.

That attitude of "gently caress it let's put in a lot of effort to hide the problem instead of using the same amount of effort to fix the problem" has persisted throughout the years there and that's one reason why I don't work there anymore!

I just got the keys to my new apartment (the 1st floor of a 3 floor house) last night and I was taking a look around in the dark (super spooky). I noticed part of the drywall in a broom closet was falling down, so I went to take a look at fixing it and realized that there was a staircase behind it (and also that it was hung by a single loving screw, jesus christ i hate handyman work). Turns out that when the house was divided into apartments, they just walled off the servant's stairs between the 1st and 2nd floor and added a door to the 2nd floor landing that the 3rd floor apartment could use to access the servants stairs between the 2nd and 3rd floors. So, now I have a cool hidden antique staircase that goes nowhere.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheReverend posted:

Apparently they converted them into office space... 35 years after they stopped working.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Apparently they converted them into office space... 35 years after they stopped working.

Oh really, they removed them? I haven't been there in a long time but they were doing some sort of work the last time I was there and I got see these things unearthed like they were dinosaur fossils.

Im trying to dig up a photo.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Slanderer posted:

I just got the keys to my new apartment (the 1st floor of a 3 floor house) last night and I was taking a look around in the dark (super spooky). I noticed part of the drywall in a broom closet was falling down, so I went to take a look at fixing it and realized that there was a staircase behind it (and also that it was hung by a single loving screw, jesus christ i hate handyman work). Turns out that when the house was divided into apartments, they just walled off the servant's stairs between the 1st and 2nd floor and added a door to the 2nd floor landing that the 3rd floor apartment could use to access the servants stairs between the 2nd and 3rd floors. So, now I have a cool hidden antique staircase that goes nowhere.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Slanderer posted:

Come on man, gotta post pictures.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Come on man, gotta post pictures.

The apartment had been vacant for like a month, and I didn't get to stop by until 11PM, so I had to break out the flashlight. Here are the relevant pictures (the rest of the apartment was pretty uneventful, except for the pervasive smell of dog).

There were no less than 5 cat toys in that stairwell (more than I photographed), for some reason (secret cat play area???).
As I was leaving I tested a light switch and it turns out power to the apartment hadn't been turned off, so I felt kinda dumb for that

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Congratulations on your new ghost cat.

That's pretty neat (and weird)!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Slanderer posted:

There were no less than 5 cat toys in that stairwell (more than I photographed), for some reason (secret cat play area???).
As I was leaving I tested a light switch and it turns out power to the apartment hadn't been turned off, so I felt kinda dumb for that

That owns, looks like you got a free screwdriver too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slanderer posted:

The apartment had been vacant for like a month, and I didn't get to stop by until 11PM, so I had to break out the flashlight. Here are the relevant pictures (the rest of the apartment was pretty uneventful, except for the pervasive smell of dog).

I'm taking a wild guess: this is in Somerville, Mass, the half-assed house-to-apartment conversion capital of the world.

• Locked thread