Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

The free games with gold for August are:

Crimson Dragon
Strike Suit Zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

Crimson Dragon
Strike Suit Zero

Surprised / pleased they're already going with two games, even if one of them is garbage and the other mediocre. Also surprised they didn't go to the actual bottom-of-the-barrel Lococycle to give away (yet?).

Also I'm still perplexed at how Peggle 2 does not have a release date for Android/iOS. I want to play it on planes/trains/whatever, but have absolutely zero interest in playing it on the TV or at home, and I can't imagine I'm alone here.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Texibus posted:

What kind of microphone do y'all use?

I actually haven't used one much at all because no one ever talks in games, it seems. The one that came with the system seems pretty decent, though.

King Burgundy posted:

Crimson Dragon
Strike Suit Zero

Nice, never played either. I wanted to check out Crimson Dragon but after seeing the Giantbomb Quick Look, I was convinced not to pay for it.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Saladman posted:

Surprised / pleased they're already going with two games, even if one of them is garbage and the other mediocre. Also surprised they didn't go to the actual bottom-of-the-barrel Lococycle to give away (yet?).

Also I'm still perplexed at how Peggle 2 does not have a release date for Android/iOS. I want to play it on planes/trains/whatever, but have absolutely zero interest in playing it on the TV or at home, and I can't imagine I'm alone here.

While I bought it for the Xbone and enjoy it, I too wish it was for Android/iOS since I would play it more often on those devices.

They'd make a fortune if they released it for smartphones.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The headset that comes with the Bone works just fine, it just looks and feels kind of cheap because it's a last minute reaction to "trew gamarz" freaking out about the Kinect.

The adapter lets you plug in your own of that's your bag. I agree, you shouldn't have to get an adapter but there you go.

The games for August are both ones I would never have paid money for so that's pretty cool I guess, I may like them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Walmart.com has Call of Duty: Ghosts for $30. I picked it up in store. If anybody wants to play, my GT is SA Soul Glo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If your options are not using voice chat or using Kinect for voice chat, please choose the former.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
A properly calibrated Kinect* is acceptable for gaming.

I would (and do) use the headset, personally.

*not having your mom or girlfriend screaming at you really helps also

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
EVERYONE SHUT UP I'M PLAYING VIDEO GAMES!!!

No, please don't use the kinect as a mic. I like the kinect, but that is such a bad idea.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

In fact don't just use a headset--go into the settings menu and actively disable the ability to use the Kinect as a mic. Because one day you wont have your headset and you'll forget the Kinect is broadcasting every drat thing it hears.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

In fact don't just use a headset--go into the settings menu and actively disable the ability to use the Kinect as a mic. Because one day you wont have your headset and you'll forget the Kinect is broadcasting every drat thing it hears.

Does that interfere with voice command usage?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It does not.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Some games don't allow Kinect to be used to chat. Titanfall won't accept Kinect input and I'm pretty sure destiny won't register Kinect as a mic either. I imagine that will be the default for games going forward. I remember at the start no one knew that Kinect was broadcasting their chat into games, I got a candid glimpse into bone owners lives. I'm thinking of picking up a new headset for destiny so I don't have to have the sound coming out the TV whilst I'm using the mic. Apparently hours of repetitive laser gun sound isn't to everyones taste.

The two free games is a bonus, hope that's a trend that continues.

Soul Glo posted:

Nice, never played either. I wanted to check out Crimson Dragon but after seeing the Giantbomb Quick Look, I was convinced not to pay for it.

They did a big update to rectify some of the problems the game had when it first released. The patch also added multiplayer, though I've got no idea how it plays.

I'll download them both because they are damned well free but I'm not expecting to be blown away. I've sunk around 16 hours into guacamelee though so I can't really complain. Really great (and infuriating) little game.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Crafty posted:

I'll download them both because they are damned well free but I'm not expecting to be blown away. I've sunk around 16 hours into guacamelee though so I can't really complain. Really great (and infuriating) little game.

I like Guac a lot but one of the platforming puzzles pissed me off enough to make me quit. I am sure I will pick it up again at some point but oh boy was I mad.

I was afraid Super Time Force was going to be the free game this month because I just bought it, glad to see it isnt. I am looking forward to Strike Suit, I have heard good stuff about the console release of it and I have considered buying it a few times. I am sure Crimson Dragon wont be great but hey, I am sure as heck going to at least try it. Especially if they patched it up a bit.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I like Guac a lot but one of the platforming puzzles pissed me off enough to make me quit. I am sure I will pick it up again at some point but oh boy was I mad.

I had this frustration with the Tree Tops section the first time I tried it. Didn't make it too far, and got fed up.

Went back and tried it later when I was less tired and wearing the Chicken outfit for the regenerating health. Got it pretty easily. That was the hardest part of the whole game for me (and looking online, everyone else) but a little practice is all it takes and anything else is a cake walk in comparison.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Daedo posted:

I had this frustration with the Tree Tops section the first time I tried it. Didn't make it too far, and got fed up.

Went back and tried it later when I was less tired and wearing the Chicken outfit for the regenerating health. Got it pretty easily. That was the hardest part of the whole game for me (and looking online, everyone else) but a little practice is all it takes and anything else is a cake walk in comparison.

jesus christ, I looked up this tree tops thing to see if it was the same place I was stuck. Nope. I am just a little baby bitch who cant play video games. There is no way I would ever finish Tree Tops.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Crafty posted:

They did a big update to rectify some of the problems the game had when it first released. The patch also added multiplayer, though I've got no idea how it plays.

I heard something about a microtransaction system being in place to revive your dragon. How much of a motherfuck is that in terms of gameplay?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crafty posted:

I downloaded it just now and ran through it. You have to repeat 30 sayings on screen and you also get five whole gamer points for your trouble. For some reason recently I'm having trouble with the Xbox on command. I know a lot of people have issues with the on command but it always worked fine for me until a of week ago. Now it refuses to co operate. I've resorted to turning it on by hand like some sort of peasant.

Aaron Paul broke mine.

Ever since that commercial turned it on, it won't respond to the command.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I don't even understand this

http://www.ea.com/news/ea-announces-ea-access-on-xbox-one

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This is money-grabbing as gently caress, holy poo poo.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

It's sounds like it is basically Netflix streaming, but for EA games. You pay $5/month and get access to a bunch of older titles to play as much as you want. But the stuff available will be mostly older things and not the latest and greatest releases.Also a miniscule discount on new releases and I guess demos?

It's an interesting model in theory, but this execution seems pretty terrible for a consumer, unless you just wanted to subscribe for a month to play everything you've skipped over and then be done with it.

In theory, a model that let you have full access to the entirety (or at least majority) of a publisher's catalog for $X/month would be something I might be interested in (basically a digital gamefly), but I'm skeptical of a)that happening and b) the X not being a hilariously overpriced number.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

univbee posted:

It's just game rentals, I don't see the big deal. I wish other companies would do this so I don't have to keep waiting on Redbox to add XB1 games.

I'd like to play Ryse, but I don't want to buy it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've been running part of this just for sports games on the 360 and PS3 for 2 years or so now. Just the 10% off digital and early access parts though.

It's a nice idea if you buy a lot of EA games I guess, but if I buy any of those games it's going to be on PS4.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

univbee posted:

Wait, how is it money grabbing as gently caress? 5 bucks a month for unlimited access to games is a pretty nice deal if you want to play those games. I play Madden, Fifa, and Battlefield which would cost 180 dollars to just outright buy. Or I can pay 30 dollars per year. Or 5 dollars for a month.

Sony does a similar thing with PS Now except its a much bigger selection of games for a fuckload more money.

\/\/\/ And also keep in mind that PS Now is streaming games to you while this EA thing seems to be an actual local download which is far superior. I feel like I must be misunderstanding something here because this seems like a pretty amazing deal. Even if there are only a few current games on it worth playing its so much cheaper than buying even one game youd have to be insane not to use it.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 29, 2014

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

That's strange.... i'll definitely pay 5 dollars for a month of FIFA and battlefield. Was thinking about rebuying bf4 now its less of s buggy piece of poo poo anyway. Wouldn't mind trying peggle either. Sign me up.

Five days of early access to all new ea game demos too?

30 dollars for a whole year is pretty crazy isn't it? What the hell, games stores won't be happy. It says you can purchase access at eb stores though. Available and us and Canada from the looks of it.

univbee posted:

For comparison, psnow is 5 dollars for 4 hours, of one single old game. Or 30 dollars for 90 days of single title.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Wait, how is it money grabbing as gently caress? 5 bucks a month for unlimited access to games is a pretty nice deal if you want to play those games. I play Madden, Fifa, and Battlefield which would cost 180 dollars to just outright buy. Or I can pay 30 dollars per year.

Well lets see here pretty much anyone who wants to play FIFA already has bought it same for Madden. BF4 vanilla is pretty much the most useless thing on the list besides Peggle2. Oh you actually wanted to PLAY that'll be 29.99 for premium please and 60 for the game.

"If the first one is free how do you make any money?!"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Wait, how is it money grabbing as gently caress? 5 bucks a month for unlimited access to games is a pretty nice deal if you want to play those games. I play Madden, Fifa, and Battlefield which would cost 180 dollars to just outright buy. Or I can pay 30 dollars per year.

Sony does a similar thing with PS Now except its a much bigger selection of games for a fuckload more money.

Yeah, PSNow has a serious pricing issue right now and I think even Sony has admitted as much.

They don't give you the new games, incidentally, only older "vault" titles. You get 10% off digital versions of the new titles, which is hard to get excited about when they could be pre-order reserved during E3 at 30% off.

If this were a $5/month subscription that wasn't EA-only it'd be compelling (like a proper "Netflix sub but for all games"), but they don't really have a voluminous library on their own.

The service's appeal is going to hinge entirely on that vault, which currently isn't looking that great and I'm not optimistic with how EA usually operates. The entire thing is just vague as hell right now and more information has to come out.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

/\/\/\ yeah thats what I mean. EA tend to be shitheads so there has to be a catch somewhere. 5 dollars per month for unlimited access to a few pretty decent games just seems to good to be true. I guess we will see

Sedisp posted:

Well lets see here pretty much anyone who wants to play FIFA already has bought it same for Madden. BF4 vanilla is pretty much the most useless thing on the list besides Peggle2. Oh you actually wanted to PLAY that'll be 29.99 for premium please and 60 for the game.

I have no idea what you are talking about

\/\/\/ yeah this is where I am at too. If its bullshit, its not like you have to buy a year up front. Its 5 per month. And vanilla battlefield, Madden, and FIFA are all pretty good. I have one of the Battlefield DLCs and I prefer the vanilla stuff to the DLC. I mean, its going to be matter of preference but I have no idea how vanilla BF4 is useless. Plus I traded it in months ago and I would like to play it again and holy poo poo at that price why not? And I have been waffling on FIFA for awhile but never bought it. Wont have to now

edit - battlefield 4 and Fifa 14 are 80 dollars total on amazon. Or 5 dollars through this.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 29, 2014

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Sedisp posted:

I don't own FIFA or Madden but would happily play them for $5/mo. If they managed to microtransaction it to hell or if it's nigh unplayable with just the base game then I'll discontinue my membership :shrug:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Crafty posted:

Five days of early access to all new ea game demos too?

They're not demos...it's the full game and all settings/etc carry over if you buy it. They had this program before for just EA Sports titles.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Freaquency posted:

I don't own FIFA or Madden but would happily play them for $5/mo. If they managed to microtransaction it to hell or if it's nigh unplayable with just the base game then I'll discontinue my membership :shrug:

Cool it's super weird you never did since they've been offering the ability to do that for awhile now.

http://www.easports.com/seasonticket?tab=getting-started

It's even cheaper.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about

It's a lovely deal designed to get people with very little sense to pay lots of money for DLC.

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
I'm trying to figure out how this is a bad thing.
$5/month and you get Peggle2, Madden14, FIFA14 and BF4, plus 10% off any new purchases.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VincesUndies posted:

$5/month and you get Peggle2, Madden14, FIFA14 and BF4, plus 10% off any new purchases.

In 2016 it'll probably still be Madden14, FIFA14, and BF4.

But for now it's not bad.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

VincesUndies posted:

Mdden14 and FIFA14 are available through a cheaper program already. BF4 is terrible without any of the DLC. Assuming you get the annual sub, 10% off of new purchases is only a deal if you plan on spending over 300 dollars for EA games this year.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Cool it's super weird you never did since they've been offering the ability to do that for awhile now.

http://www.easports.com/seasonticket?tab=getting-started

It's even cheaper.

Wait, you can get unlimited access to games through season ticket ?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Season Ticket is only on 360/PS3 and doesn't actually let you play any of the games.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Wait, you can get unlimited access to games through season ticket ?

No.

This is going to sell Xbones to hardcore Madden/FIFA/NHL fans who haven't bought a new system yet. That early access thing is a big deal in those communities.

Aphrodite posted:

Season Ticket is only on 360/PS3 and doesn't actually let you play any of the games.

You get to play the new releases for 3-4 days before street date.

Which in terms of the Ultimate Team and Club modes may as well be two-three months. It's that much of an advantage

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Sedisp posted:

What you're ignoring is the fact that bf4 and FIFA 14 still go on eBay (used) for 30 + shipping. So if I bought both of those now that'd be 70ish dollars. I could instead get two years of this subscription service and save myself ten dollars and get access to all the new games they add in between now and two years time.

Does that really sound like a bad deal to you?

Sure bf4 is crappy without dlc but I don't get dlc when I buy it off eBay either.

Don't worry anyway, I'm sure this is just being tested on Xbox one and will be rolled out to ps4 too, it seems to big to be kept to one console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

sba posted:

No.

This is going to sell Xbones to hardcore Madden/FIFA/NHL fans who haven't bought a new system yet. That early access thing is a big deal in those communities.

This is why I dont understand what that guy is talking about at all.

"Why would you pay 5 dollars per month for unlimited access to games and lots of other stuff when you could pay 25 per year and get a ton less stuff?!?!"

It sounds like this isnt appealing to Sedisp, which is fine but playing decent games for 5 bucks per month seems... awesome.

univbee posted:

Yeah, PSNow has a serious pricing issue right now and I think even Sony has admitted as much.

Yeah, I wasnt trying to poo poo on PS Now because its a cool idea but the prices are loving outrageous. Hopefully they work the bugs out because itll be pretty rad if the prices are something other than the hilarious levels of bad they are right now.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 29, 2014

• Locked thread