Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quidnose posted:

See, but that's not what you said. You said you dug the turbo AND you didn't see him acting in a towny manner. And now I'd like you to back up that second statement.

Hal Incandenza posted:

You find his casual disregard for the game to be a sign that he is at ease as town then?

Hal Incandenza posted:

I mean he's not really trying and he's throwing his vote around like a wild man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Quidnose posted:

See, but that's not what you said. You said you dug the turbo AND you didn't see him acting in a towny manner. And now I'd like you to back up that second statement.

I read Hal as saying that he wouldn't have tried to turbo Foo if he'd done something notably townie, but since he hadn't Foo was fair game. That seems like a straightforward explanation to me (although i think the whole "rush of the turbo" thing is silly). I'm not sure what you're looking for, and this line of questioning seems like "hey everybody look I'm investigating" posturing that doesn't actually help clarify anything.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidnose posted:

ALSO:

Merk says: "I am voting Foo because he made a vote and didn't stick with it - meaning he is looking for whatever he can get to stick."

Opop says: "Yeah, I was going to give Foo some doubt, but really, you are right merk. I'm voting for Foo because he can't be that dumb to have used that as the basis for his vote."

Opop is presenting himself as agreeing with merk's reasoning....but he's actually talking about the OPPOSITE of what merk is getting at. Merk is finding Foo suspicious for flip-flopping around people, not pushing bad reasoning. This is a sentence and reasoning that at the very least is incredibly disingenuous in it's construction, and at it's worst is one Opop could point back to later and go "that wasn't actually what I meant, I wasn't agreeing with Merk." It stinks.

##vote Opop for emphasis

That's not what I said, don't vote me just because you can't read. I said I wanted to wait a bit before snapping the trap.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidnose posted:

Opop is doing his standard "hide on the sidelines commenting on random crap that doesn't relate to the game and follow along stuff that looks like it is viable" shtick. Bad vibes. I'm happy with my jokevote morphing into a serious one.

And what the hell does any of this even mean? That is a standard thing for me as either alignment, that's what standard means. It's also quite obviously not what I'm doing right now, I'm setting up and pushing a case.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Captain Foo (5): merk, Opopanax, King Burgundy, apostateCourier, Hal Incandenza, King Burgundy, Asiina
Quidnose (1): kaschei
Opopanax (1): Asiina, Asiina, fiery_valkyrie, fiery_valkyrie, Quidnose, Quidnose, Quidnose, Quidnose, Quidnose
King Burgundy (1): kaschei, kaschei, Asiina, Asiina, Captain Foo
apostateCourier (1): kaschei, Captain Foo, Opopanax, kaschei, Captain Foo, greatZebu, Opopanax
Hal Incandenza (0): Quidnose, Asiina, Asiina, Quidnose, Asiina, apostateCourier, apostateCourier, Asiina
fiery_valkyrie (0): merk, merk
merk (0): apostateCourier, King Burgundy, apostateCourier, Captain Foo, Captain Foo, King Burgundy
Asiina (0): Captain Foo, Captain Foo, Captain Foo, apostateCourier, apostateCourier, apostateCourier, apostateCourier, Captain Foo

Not Voting (2): fiery_valkyrie, King Burgundy

There are 11 living players. It takes 6 votes to merk!

The current deadline is July 29th, 2014 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 6 hours.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

So you were not agreeing with merk's reasoning then?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

OK, why would you rather lynch, oh, me?

kaschei posted:

Maybe because you say poo poo like:

Hal Incandenza posted:

You find his casual disregard for the game to be a sign that he is at ease as town then?
This is just a "have you stopped beating your wife" question, you pretend to invite a defense of Foo but you're just trying to get someone to stop expressing their doubts about this vote.

##vote Hal

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

kaschei posted:

This is just a "have you stopped beating your wife" question, you pretend to invite a defense of Foo but you're just trying to get someone to stop expressing their doubts about this vote.

##vote Hal

Not at all, a fine response would have been "I feel like Foo never gives a poo poo" and that would have been cool by me.

Also I think you are really overselling how I am somehow the driving force behind the push on Foo. I was just doing my part for a good old fashioned D1 turbo. Like I do in every other D1 turbo in any game regardless of alignment.

I have yet to see anyone offer some particular reason why this turbo is bad. You seem to be against it, Asiina was pretty strongly against it and Quidnose seems to be against it, but what on earth is there to make you guys think foo is so town that he deserves all this defense. You guys seems awfully sure he's town.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidnose posted:

So you were not agreeing with merk's reasoning then?

I was, because he said what I was going to say. That much is right, but you seem to think I thought Foo was town at that point

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Hal Incandenza posted:

Not at all, a fine response would have been "I feel like Foo never gives a poo poo" and that would have been cool by me.

Also I think you are really overselling how I am somehow the driving force behind the push on Foo. I was just doing my part for a good old fashioned D1 turbo. Like I do in every other D1 turbo in any game regardless of alignment.

I have yet to see anyone offer some particular reason why this turbo is bad. You seem to be against it, Asiina was pretty strongly against it and Quidnose seems to be against it, but what on earth is there to make you guys think foo is so town that he deserves all this defense. You guys seems awfully sure he's town.

I don't like the way that this turbo materialized. It makes me feel there are scum on it.

That said, I'm on it now because of Foo's reaction to your obvious joke was way too serious and looked like panic.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Asiina posted:

I don't like the way that this turbo materialized. It makes me feel there are scum on it.

That said, I'm on it now because of Foo's reaction to your obvious joke was way too serious and looked like panic.

This doesn't make sense. You think there are scum on the turbo of Foo, but you're still convinced voting Foo is a good idea.

This just looks like an excuse to come back if Foo flips town and say "I told you so"

##vote Asiina

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Opopanax posted:

I was, because he said what I was going to say. That much is right, but you seem to think I thought Foo was town at that point

Dude, that is not what I am saying at all. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

That's not even anywhere near what I said:

Quidnose posted:

ALSO:

Merk says: "I am voting Foo because he made a vote and didn't stick with it - meaning he is looking for whatever he can get to stick."

Opop says: "Yeah, I was going to give Foo some doubt, but really, you are right merk. I'm voting for Foo because he can't be that dumb to have used that as the basis for his vote."

Opop is presenting himself as agreeing with merk's reasoning....but he's actually talking about the OPPOSITE of what merk is getting at. Merk is finding Foo suspicious for flip-flopping around people, not pushing bad reasoning. This is a sentence and reasoning that at the very least is incredibly disingenuous in it's construction, and at it's worst is one Opop could point back to later and go "that wasn't actually what I meant, I wasn't agreeing with Merk." It stinks.

##vote Opop for emphasis

I said that you were presenting yourself as agreeing with Merk's reasoning (Foo is dropping votes to see what sticks with no real reasoning) but in actuality were saying "I am voting for Foo because he can't be that dumb to have thought that."

Your reasoning is a fine thing to vote for someone. What I find suspicious is that you are trying to frame it as if you are naturally building off of merk's comment. It's awkward and weird. It's also awkward and weird you are saying I am misreading things and then showing me to be presenting an incorrect argument that is nowhere near the content I am presenting.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

I don't KNOW Foo is town, but his responses look like how I would be reacting if I was pissed at a lovely turbo. And the votes on him are primarily apathy driven, afai have seen.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Well, turbo's over now anyway. Such a shame.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidnose posted:

Dude, that is not what I am saying at all. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

That's not even anywhere near what I said:

I said that you were presenting yourself as agreeing with Merk's reasoning (Foo is dropping votes to see what sticks with no real reasoning) but in actuality were saying "I am voting for Foo because he can't be that dumb to have thought that."

Your reasoning is a fine thing to vote for someone. What I find suspicious is that you are trying to frame it as if you are naturally building off of merk's comment. It's awkward and weird. It's also awkward and weird you are saying I am misreading things and then showing me to be presenting an incorrect argument that is nowhere near the content I am presenting.

I have no idea what you're accusing me of, to be honest.

I pressed merk on the PM thing in order to draw out reactions from other people, see if anyone would bite on it. I didn't actually think merk was scum, he's the one I didn't think was "dumb enough" to have slipped like that.
Foo took the bait, but rather than just snapping the trap closed I was going to let it play out and see how things went, but merk saw it and voted for foo first so I joined him.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Welp, I don't buy it. Sorry.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:shrug: I don't care.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

merk posted:

You made this vote, no one commented on it, and then you moved away. Was this scum trying to get something easy going on day 1? Looks like it. ##vote Foo

Merk what is it about this vote, and no one elses from D1, that makes you think it is a vote from scum?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I think this series of posts from Asiina about Foo is scummy. Asiina has gone from being very against the Foo lynch to voting it for what feels like a made up reason. This also conflicts with her feelings that there are scum on the lynch.

Asiina posted:

You better, Hal!

But this is a bad vote.

I bet there are scum on this vote.

I am not a scum and I am not on the vote.

Asiina posted:

Anyway he claimed his brick and I'm not feeling good about this turbo so I will not turbo sorry Hal.

Asiina posted:

It was a joke, Foo.

Now I want to kill you though for that reaction, goddamn.

##vote Foo

Asiina posted:

Can you explain how Foo's reaction to the joke was too serious Asiina?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I think this series of posts from Asiina about Foo is scummy. Asiina has gone from being very against the Foo lynch to voting it for what feels like a made up reason. This also conflicts with her feelings that there are scum on the lynch.

Can you explain how Foo's reaction to the joke was too serious Asiina?

Uh

I blew up in light of what should have been a very obvious fair claim

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Merk what is it about this vote, and no one elses from D1, that makes you think it is a vote from scum?

He puts it out there and then moves off of it a page later when no one comments on it. He doesn't push it, he doesn't follow up on it, he doesn't try to persuade anyone to vote with it, he doesn't even give it the time of day after that post. In fact, he completely forgets about it.

If you legitimately think you found a scum slip, especially one against a veteran player, you ride that poo poo. Or, at least, you ask other people if they think it's a slip. He just pooped it out and walked away... because he knows I'm Town.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Uh

Are you defending Asiina's vote on you?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

merk posted:

He puts it out there and then moves off of it a page later when no one comments on it.

This is untrue. He posts it, and makes a second joke vote, on the same page, five posts and five hours later.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Quidnose posted:

This is untrue. He posts it, and makes a second joke vote, on the same page, five posts and five hours later.

Ok, replace a page later with five hours later. It's still the same explanation.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

merk posted:

He puts it out there and then moves off of it a page later when no one comments on it. He doesn't push it, he doesn't follow up on it, he doesn't try to persuade anyone to vote with it, he doesn't even give it the time of day after that post. In fact, he completely forgets about it.

If you legitimately think you found a scum slip, especially one against a veteran player, you ride that poo poo. Or, at least, you ask other people if they think it's a slip. He just pooped it out and walked away... because he knows I'm Town.

I don't know if you're a LEGO or a megablox, that's what throwing votes around is supposed to help accomplish, by generating reactions. I'm getting better at generating them, but I'm still not so strong reading them. I think there's something to be said for how people jump on or off bandwagons, and now we have a lot of info re: that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Are you defending Asiina's vote on you?

I'm fully aware my reaction was idiotic, that's all

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Uh

ME: fake claim

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Captain Foo posted:

I don't know if you're a LEGO or a megablox, that's what throwing votes around is supposed to help accomplish, by generating reactions. I'm getting better at generating them, but I'm still not so strong reading them. I think there's something to be said for how people jump on or off bandwagons, and now we have a lot of info re: that

Hi Foo, since you are here, you are still at -1.

Sell me on not voting for you, or even who should I vote for instead and why? Obviously, you won't be able to sell me on your current vote choice, try again?

To everyone else, right now it looks like the only choices on the table are Foo or No Lynch. Anyone else that people want to think about lynching and rally around? It feels like most of the votes out there right now are joke votes and/or people aren't really trying to sell them. (notable exceptions: Quidnose seems serious about Opop, kaschei seems serious about Hal)

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Merk, you seem really tunnel visioned on getting Foo lynched and haven't talked about any other cases so far. I haven't known you to be a "this is the only scum" kind of guy. Is Foo's pushing and subsequent drop of your "scumslip" the only scummy thing that has happened today? Can you comment on some of the other cases?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidnose posted:

Merk, you seem really tunnel visioned on getting Foo lynched and haven't talked about any other cases so far. I haven't known you to be a "this is the only scum" kind of guy. Is Foo's pushing and subsequent drop of your "scumslip" the only scummy thing that has happened today? Can you comment on some of the other cases?

Really? You haven't know merk, Mr."Lynch me or this guy I am not moving on from here until this is done", the bulldog himself, as a "this is the only scum" kind of guy?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Usually he has a few people he at least talks about surrounding his obstinance?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quidnose posted:

Hilarious.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quidnose posted:

Usually he has a few people he at least talks about surrounding his obstinance?

Nah, if it's early on he'll stay focused on one person

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Quidnose - defending others instead of casing people. The Opo case is gotcha scum hunting.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Yes merk, my modus operandi was to claim miller out the gate in hopes I could ride it as scum. Good work.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I've won like four games doing that.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

And you drop your foo case immediately. What the hell are you doing? And why are you ignoring my question?

Also, please provide solid evidence of my defending other people instead of scum hunting. I have said I dislike the foo vote. I have made a case on Opop and disliked his responses, which I find disingenuous. Case me, you lazy fucker.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok, here is my case.

merk posted:

##vote Quidnose - defending others instead of casing people. The Opo case is gotcha scum hunting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'd be happy to vote Foo again by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

This is the extent of my defending Foo:

Quidnose posted:

Merk points out something that could easily be Foo shooting for whatever sticks, but that's easily a D1 town strategy as much as it is a D1 scum strategy. Most of us have been making joke votes all over the place D1, everyone has been saying that.

You got another post you want to reference, bucko? Or is this the post you have decided I am scum for?

• Locked thread