Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

have you considered a fedora, op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
arch owns i bet this isnt hard and the OP is a noob

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
i'm still pretty sure the only difference between the linuxes is what you type to install new stuff.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i'm still pretty sure the only difference between the linuxes is what you type to install new stuff.

they have different startup scripts

at least, they used to. i think it was system v versus bsd-style?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

prefect posted:

they have different startup scripts

at least, they used to. i think it was system v versus bsd-style?

and now we got systemd as well

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol if you're not using fedora

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
YOPSPOS - Your Package System is a Piece of poo poo

rpm sucks, yum sucks

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

atomicthumbs posted:

I think Ubuntu is pretty cool. It's totally free, and did you know it means "peace" in African?

it's actually african for "unable to configure debian" :xd:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

and now we got systemd as well

good

about time that these pointless differences were swept away now that we have all been united under a benevolent strong-willed german leader

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

my stepdads beer posted:

lol if you're not using fedora

i'm afedora

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
windows is a goddamn piece of garbage operating system but it doesn't make me edit a conf file during a software upgrade to keep the UI working. this is why nobody will ever use a linux desktop.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lutha Mahtin posted:

does it support my taxi :spergin: custom encrypted lvm scheme

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

windows is a goddamn piece of garbage operating system but it doesn't make me edit a conf file during a software upgrade to keep the UI working. this is why nobody will ever use a linux desktop.

Make you? It's literally the appeal of arch.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

gently caress linux!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

no no you see this way you LEARN LINUX unlike those distros that hand-hold for you

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
Debian rules.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

ShadowHawk posted:

no no you see this way you LEARN LINUX unlike those distros that hand-hold for you

i think linux users should learn more about suicide

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

/dev/null

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
whenever i try to learn linux when a thing breaks i just end up copy pasting a bunch of poo poo i dont know what it does from some forum into the te4rminal

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
i just use a mac because my time is better spent posting

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

atomicthumbs posted:

I think Ubuntu is pretty cool. It's totally free, and did you know it means "peace" in African?
14.04 is a piece of poo poo. the first thing i did after installing was move a firefox window from one workspace to another and it crashed unity. i'd blame my hardware but 13.04 & 13.10 didn't do this poo poo.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Phoenixan posted:

14.04 is a piece of poo poo. the first thing i did after installing was move a firefox window from one workspace to another and it crashed unity. i'd blame my hardware but 13.04 & 13.10 didn't do this poo poo.

do you still have to edit xorg.conf and fstab to do really basic things?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

arch is linux for people that don't like using computers, only setting them up. i've met more than one person that got excited when they found out I use linux, only for them to become really confused when they find out I don't switch to a different disto as soon as I have a working system.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

also linux is good now, just use fedora. cunty just has to do things the hard way because if gnome point releases had a physical manifestation she'd be camped out like it's the goddamn apple store.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gnome owns p hard though

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I had been thinking of installing Gentoo on this Power Mac G3, since it looked like it had good PowerPC support and it'd be nice to be able to boot Linux to deal with all the disk formats Windows and Mac OS 9 couldn't. Then I read the documentation

quote:

To help users in deciding what to install/activate and what not, we wanted the user to specify his/her environment in an easy way. This forces the user into deciding what they really want and eases the process for Portage, our package management system, to make useful decisions.

Enter the USE flags. Such a flag is a keyword that embodies support and dependency-information for a certain concept. If you define a certain USE flag, Portage will know that you want support for the chosen keyword. Of course this also alters the dependency information for a package.

There are two types of USE flags: global and local USE flags.
  • A global USE flag is used by several packages, system-wide. This is what most people see as USE flags.
  • A local USE flag is used by a single package to make package-specific decisions.

Code Listing 2.1: Cumulative make.defaults USE variable for the 13.0 profile
(This example is the sum of the settings in base, default/linux,
default/linux/x86 and default/linux/x86/13.0/)
code:
USE="a52 aac acpi alsa branding cairo cdr dbus dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif
fam firefox flac gif gpm gtk hal jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mikmod mng mp3
mp4 mpeg ogg opengl pango pdf png ppds qt3support qt4 sdl spell
startup-notification svg tiff truetype vorbis unicode usb X xcb x264 xml xv
xvid"

Why the gently caress would they do this :shepicide:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

linux is really bad. please do not use it :ohdear:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
remember when I posted that thread about arch and I couldn't get the fonts to look remotely good

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

why is this a "poo poo post"? :ohdear:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gentoo with systemd is the best

you can have gentoo without openrc now

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tankakern posted:

gentoo with systemd is the best

you can have gentoo without openrc now

How about "gentoo without a literal list of random words as how you want things configured"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the best thing about arch is the wiki, it's a good reference

imo they should just ditch the distribution and maintain the wiki full time

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
this is a correct opinion. debian is the good linux.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

is there an angry cow linux? cos if there is that is the best one.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

do you still have to edit xorg.conf and fstab to do really basic things?
haven't had to touch fstab in a long time, but last time i did, it was because my second hdd wouldn't mount.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I like working with the Linux kernel a lot

everything else in the Linux ecosystem can go gently caress itself tho

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Internaut! posted:

I like working with the Linux kernel a lot

everything else in the Linux ecosystem can go gently caress itself tho

if your linux is running xorg you aren't using it right. it's meant to sit in a corner with no monitor and never be touched. much like its devs.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

The Portage system offers the use of "USE flags", which allows users to indicate which software features they would like to include (and exclude) while building packages. For example, there is a USE flag to include DVD support, where available, in packages compiled with the flag enabled. The USE flags affect which dependencies are required, generally affecting which optional features will be built into a given program when it is compiled. For example, in packages which use a configure script, the USE flag feature would translate to ./configure --with-feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the best part of the USE flag is that none of the packages standardize on it or use the flag in a different way, so something designed to save you from ./configure -dicks -puppies -kitten -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 requires you to add and remove them when you find out that make fails or the program doesn't do The Thing

• Locked thread