Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks for this thread, I'm definitely going to go back through it and give it a proper read but have a query in the meantime (that I hope hasn't been brought up a million times).

I used the Matrix link in the OP which is really awesome and using a Multi City option I found the following route to visit my girlfriend in Florida in October.

Our plan is roughly:

Leave Dublin on 22nd October and fly to RSW in Florida
Then I'll return on my own on around the 4th November probably to LHR. The total for my two tickets was $823 which seemed pretty reasonable.

As we're both in the UK at the moment I logged on to Expedia's UK site and tried to match the price it found - nowhere close. It was more like £850 (~$1300) which sucked, but my gf was using her phone at the same time on Expedia's US site... low and behold - we found pretty much the exact price that Matrix had found.

So the crux is: why was the UK site hiding the good flights from me? Am I going to have issues if I book through Expedia US?

It happens sometimes that the localized sites display fares (or don't, as the case may be) that others do. If you find a better deal on the US site, book it. I've booked tickets on Expedia's German site, Norwegian site, and UK site when better fares were offered. At the end of the day, you're still buying a ticket on an airline, and that's what counts.

That said, I'd see if you can get the airline in question to sell you the ticket directly for that fare. Takes out the middle man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cracking, cheers! There's a bunch of airlines involved in this one (2 per trip I think) so I think we'll just keep checking the route price on Expedia US until we're happy with the price and go for it. Thanks!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Note that if you have multiple airlines in a trip that don't code share, they won't hold the plane / rebook you if you miss a connection.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FrozenVent posted:

Note that if you have multiple airlines in a trip that don't code share, they won't hold the plane / rebook you if you miss a connection.

Yes indeed; be careful when booking multi-airline itineraries. Just because they're all listed on the same page doesn't mean they're on the same ticket and thus not covered by the same Contract of Carriage.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There were also instances in the early days of online travel booking - although this may be mostly resolved by now - where a multi-airline trip might include changing airports.

Which might kill whatever savings you've made, and / or make you miss your connection. Another thing to be careful about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks again for the tips! I'll try eliminate anything I can to avoid being Tom Hanks'd in an airport for the sake of a few dollars.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

830 for that flight is pretty good.

I would book that price.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
I'm in London for work until the end of August. I want to take a trip somewhere in Europe, but am flexible on location as long as it's a cheap flight. I will need to leave on a Friday afternoon/evening and return on a Sunday but have some flexibility as to which weekend, and would go pretty much anywhere cheap and fun. I tried using Kayak Explore but that doesn't let you put in any date/day restrictions. I would love to just put in my specs and scroll a map with fares and pick a great deal, rather than doing a million searches for a bunch of random cities. Is there anything like that?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

E-Money posted:

I'm in London for work until the end of August. I want to take a trip somewhere in Europe, but am flexible on location as long as it's a cheap flight. I will need to leave on a Friday afternoon/evening and return on a Sunday but have some flexibility as to which weekend, and would go pretty much anywhere cheap and fun. I tried using Kayak Explore but that doesn't let you put in any date/day restrictions. I would love to just put in my specs and scroll a map with fares and pick a great deal, rather than doing a million searches for a bunch of random cities. Is there anything like that?

I would use ITA Matrix, stick in a city as close to the centre of Europe as you can (Vienna maybe? Prague?) and then search all airports in a 500km radius or whatever. You'll probably end up with the odd flight to Africa in there, but whatever.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

E-Money posted:

Google has Flights Explore now which is a similar concept but a much better data set than what Kayak has. There's another one out there too that is supposedly based on GDS data that is much more fresh, but I can't remember where it is. If I find it I'll update this post.

Edit: Found it, https://www.hopper.com.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 28, 2014

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

HookShot posted:

I would use ITA Matrix, stick in a city as close to the centre of Europe as you can (Vienna maybe? Prague?) and then search all airports in a 500km radius or whatever. You'll probably end up with the odd flight to Africa in there, but whatever.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Must have missed that feature during my first round of searching.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm confused by all this. I am planning a vacation and trying to figure out flights. If I leave SFO to go to NRT, there is a stop in MNL. I'd like to check out MNL and want to try to find a way to make the stop over a few days. If I do SFO to MNL, now it is a more expensive fare and stops in Taiwan. Should I just call an agency and try to do this over the phone?

Edit: Ideally I would go SFO > Oahu for a couple days. Then to MNL for a couple days. Then NRT for a couple weeks. Then back to SFO. The amount this bumps up the price is craziness. Especially for really only one extra flight. Oahu > NRT also stops in MNL.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 29, 2014

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm confused by all this. I am planning a vacation and trying to figure out flights. If I leave SFO to go to NRT, there is a stop in MNL. I'd like to check out MNL and want to try to find a way to make the stop over a few days. If I do SFO to MNL, now it is a more expensive fare and stops in Taiwan. Should I just call an agency and try to do this over the phone?

Similar question. I'm looking at Cathay Pacific flights from ORD->HKG->HND/NRT and back and I'd like to have a day in HKG (ideally on the return trip). But I can't make it happen with my normal search tools.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Waltzing Along posted:

pig slut lisa posted:

Similar question. I'm looking at Cathay Pacific flights from ORD->HKG->HND/NRT and back and I'd like to have a day in HKG (ideally on the return trip). But I can't make it happen with my normal search tools.

What you guys are describing is a stopover. It's flying AAA-XXX-BBB with a stop of more than 24 hours in XXX. Generally, to find these sorts of fares, you need to do a multi-city search. In Waltzing's case, that would be SFO-MNL for the first segment, and then MNL-NRT for the second. On the way back, you can do the reverse or just search for NRT-SFO, making the search three segments.

The catch here is pricing. Some fares offer a free stopover; others don't. For those that don't, you'll have results returned but they will price as three one-ways, SFO-MNL, MNL-NRT, and NRT-SFO. If that happens, the ticket will be drastically more expensive than if a stopover is allowed (usually). Again, it all depends on the routing rules and what is available for the particular fare in question. If you both care to post the dates you're looking at, I'm happy to take a look. Also let me know if you're interested in learning about how to find the fare rules and interpret them.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mackieman posted:

What you guys are describing is a stopover. It's flying AAA-XXX-BBB with a stop of more than 24 hours in XXX. Generally, to find these sorts of fares, you need to do a multi-city search. In Waltzing's case, that would be SFO-MNL for the first segment, and then MNL-NRT for the second. On the way back, you can do the reverse or just search for NRT-SFO, making the search three segments.

The catch here is pricing. Some fares offer a free stopover; others don't. For those that don't, you'll have results returned but they will price as three one-ways, SFO-MNL, MNL-NRT, and NRT-SFO. If that happens, the ticket will be drastically more expensive than if a stopover is allowed (usually). Again, it all depends on the routing rules and what is available for the particular fare in question. If you both care to post the dates you're looking at, I'm happy to take a look. Also let me know if you're interested in learning about how to find the fare rules and interpret them.

Thanks. I've all of a sudden started to see some success with Kayak's multicity tool for this. But I'll pose my situation to the thread and hopefully get some good info.

My fiancee and I are taking our honeymoon to Japan in 2015. Our target dates are Fri 5/22 to Thu 6/4, though we could also do Fri 5/22 to Wed 6/3, Fri 5/22 to Fri 6/5, Sat 5/23 to Thu 6/4, or Sat 5/23 to Fri 6/5. Our most probable departure airport is ORD, though could also do MDW, STL, or IND if they were cheaper and routed us through LAX or SFO or something.

We are not tied to the "one day in Hong Kong" (though we would consider it if it didn't significantly add to our price). We are also not tied to a particular airport in Japan; we can enter/leave through Osaka, Tokyo, one of each, whatever.

Low fare on a non-US airline is our primary goal. I've been doing a lot of searching over the past few months are it looks like there are two main ORD->TYO competitors at the low end: a Virgin America/Singapore combo that goes ORD->LAX->NRT and various Cathay itineraries that go ORD->HKG->HND/NRT. The Virgin/Singapore had been selling at ~$1,300 for awhile, but recently popped up to $1,500 and has stayed there. The Cathay has been steadier.

That's probably enough for now, though I'm happy to give more info. Thanks for any help!

P.S. We're not doing that bullshit Turkish Airlines nonsense or anything else that routes us through Europe.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's very kind of you.

I want to fly out of SFO or nearby or possibly Sacramento around 8/29 in the evening or the next two days. It would be great to stop in Hawaii on Oahu for a couple days but this is not a necessity. The goal is to get to Japan by 9/4 or 9/5. 9/5 if I can get to Fukuoka earlier in the day or 9/4 anywhere. And then fly back on 9/27 or 9/28. I just like the idea of checking on Manila for a day or two so seeing that the flights tend to connect there put the idea in my head.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you can find a cheap fare to Korea, Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Taiwan, then you can get a separate ticket to Japan using LCC carriers like Peach, Vanilla, Spring, Scoot etc.

Also Asia - Hawaii is always expensive. Give up on that if cost is more important than location.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

pig slut lisa posted:

Thanks. I've all of a sudden started to see some success with Kayak's multicity tool for this. But I'll pose my situation to the thread and hopefully get some good info.

My fiancee and I are taking our honeymoon to Japan in 2015. Our target dates are Fri 5/22 to Thu 6/4, though we could also do Fri 5/22 to Wed 6/3, Fri 5/22 to Fri 6/5, Sat 5/23 to Thu 6/4, or Sat 5/23 to Fri 6/5. Our most probable departure airport is ORD, though could also do MDW, STL, or IND if they were cheaper and routed us through LAX or SFO or something.

We are not tied to the "one day in Hong Kong" (though we would consider it if it didn't significantly add to our price). We are also not tied to a particular airport in Japan; we can enter/leave through Osaka, Tokyo, one of each, whatever.

Low fare on a non-US airline is our primary goal. I've been doing a lot of searching over the past few months are it looks like there are two main ORD->TYO competitors at the low end: a Virgin America/Singapore combo that goes ORD->LAX->NRT and various Cathay itineraries that go ORD->HKG->HND/NRT. The Virgin/Singapore had been selling at ~$1,300 for awhile, but recently popped up to $1,500 and has stayed there. The Cathay has been steadier.

That's probably enough for now, though I'm happy to give more info. Thanks for any help!

P.S. We're not doing that bullshit Turkish Airlines nonsense or anything else that routes us through Europe.

Firstly, congratulations and good on you for trying to get this out of the way early as there is plenty of other bullshit to deal with when you're getting married. Thankfully my wife took care of most things but still, this is the categorical definition of a team sport. :)

Secondly, airfare is generally only priced 330 days out, so I'd advise putting some fare alerts on these routings and watch them for a while. I see pricing similar to or higher than what you found, and many of those are code-shares on flights operated by US carriers so that doesn't really accomplish anything insofar as not getting stuck on AA or UA goes.

I'd also take peanut's advice and check the other major Asian gateways like ICN, TPE, PEK, and SIN.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Waltzing Along posted:

That's very kind of you.

I want to fly out of SFO or nearby or possibly Sacramento around 8/29 in the evening or the next two days. It would be great to stop in Hawaii on Oahu for a couple days but this is not a necessity. The goal is to get to Japan by 9/4 or 9/5. 9/5 if I can get to Fukuoka earlier in the day or 9/4 anywhere. And then fly back on 9/27 or 9/28. I just like the idea of checking on Manila for a day or two so seeing that the flights tend to connect there put the idea in my head.

That's what the thread is here for. :) But one thing I want to caution you on is making assumptions about connecting points. In this case, MNL is not a natural connecting point for most flights; the flights you're seeing are likely served by Philippine Airlines and thus connect in MNL because that is their hub. Other airlines will connect in other places, and the availability of stopovers in any of those locations will depend upon the fare in question. If you specifically want to visit Manila, we can run that search, but it will not include any other opportunities in other cities.

Just as an example, I priced out OAK-KIX with a plane change in HNL on the way out and then a return of NRT-SFO non-stop on the return and it was $1125. If you tried to make the HNL stop be a 48 hour stopover, it prices at $2580 because stopovers are not allowed on the OAK-KIX fare.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mackieman posted:

That's what the thread is here for. :) But one thing I want to caution you on is making assumptions about connecting points. In this case, MNL is not a natural connecting point for most flights; the flights you're seeing are likely served by Philippine Airlines and thus connect in MNL because that is their hub. Other airlines will connect in other places, and the availability of stopovers in any of those locations will depend upon the fare in question. If you specifically want to visit Manila, we can run that search, but it will not include any other opportunities in other cities.

Just as an example, I priced out OAK-KIX with a plane change in HNL on the way out and then a return of NRT-SFO non-stop on the return and it was $1125. If you tried to make the HNL stop be a 48 hour stopover, it prices at $2580 because stopovers are not allowed on the OAK-KIX fare.

I'm about ready to give up on Hawaii. The best price I've found..at cheapoair, was around $1050. Is there a way to do a longer stopover in MNL?

E: well, that one seems to be gone. But now non-stops to Japan are avaialble at only a little bit more. I will probably buy my ticket this evening.

E2: and just a few hours later the prices have gone up by $300. This is so lame. I guess I will wait a little longer to purchse. A 10 hour non-stop is a lot more appealing than the other ones where I skip a day into the future.

E3: and now there are sub $1,000 flights. Bizarre. Is Priceline worth trying? I was thinking of trying to get a flight for $800.

Final edit: Booked my flight. Flights are crazy. I ended up paying under $1200 for non-stop flights, including a week in Thailand. Earlier today it was $1150 just to go to Japan. Now I am going to Japan and Thailand and don't have a layover or anything. And other than one flight, all of them are convenient afternoon departures.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 30, 2014

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's absolutely perfect.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What did you book through?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sellouts posted:

What did you book through?

United via Kayak.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if this is the place for it but would it be appropriate for this thread to have descriptions of the major airlines?

It doesn't have to be super-detailed and can even group incredibly similar airlines into groups (Legacy, Low-Cost, Ultra-low-cost, International, etc).

I only ask as I was doing some price searching and came across Frontier for the first time. I was intrigued but a lot of the ultra-low cost-cutting made me look elsewhere.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thwomp posted:

I'm wondering if this is the place for it but would it be appropriate for this thread to have descriptions of the major airlines?

It doesn't have to be super-detailed and can even group incredibly similar airlines into groups (Legacy, Low-Cost, Ultra-low-cost, International, etc).

I only ask as I was doing some price searching and came across Frontier for the first time. I was intrigued but a lot of the ultra-low cost-cutting made me look elsewhere.

I've thought about that, but I'm torn about the level of detail to present as so much of the value of a particular airline depends on one's personal circumstances. What may be dogshit for one person is great for another. Frontier, for example, is pretty terrible for me, especially if I want to go somewhere other than Denver. Now that they've unbundled everything and added fees for everything, the total price you pay is equivalent to a fare on a regular airline for the most part. It's a marketing tactic to get an unsuspecting public to buy their fares and then they get hit with all sorts of fees down the road. I find that method of doing business to be quite lovely, but that system may work well for others who are barebones occasional travelers.

That said, everyone should feel free to ask as many detailed questions about a particular airline as you like. :)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is Frontier as bad as Spirit? (420 fly Spirit everyday)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FISHMANPET posted:

Is Frontier as bad as Spirit? (420 fly Spirit everyday)

I haven't personally flown Spirit but I have friends who have and they say that they're about on par. The only way to do Spirit is in their bigger seat up front.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

United via Kayak.

I only say this as it seems like you don't travel too much. Take all contact numbers for kayak with you on your trip. Not that there will be problems but if you have any you'll likely have to make any changes with kayak and not united.

Again not to scare you as direct flights are likely to have less problems but good to have a way to contact the people who booked the ticket.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sellouts posted:

830 for that flight is pretty good.

I would book that price.

Just to feed back, booked the flight this morning for $786. Wasn't even the cheapest but saved me 4 hours of waiting on each direction so no complaints! Thanks for the help again.

Now to not get stranded anywhere...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

I've thought about that, but I'm torn about the level of detail to present as so much of the value of a particular airline depends on one's personal circumstances. What may be dogshit for one person is great for another. Frontier, for example, is pretty terrible for me, especially if I want to go somewhere other than Denver. Now that they've unbundled everything and added fees for everything, the total price you pay is equivalent to a fare on a regular airline for the most part. It's a marketing tactic to get an unsuspecting public to buy their fares and then they get hit with all sorts of fees down the road. I find that method of doing business to be quite lovely, but that system may work well for others who are barebones occasional travelers.

That said, everyone should feel free to ask as many detailed questions about a particular airline as you like. :)

I think a basic description would be appropriate but if anyone has tips (like you said about bigger seats on Spirit) would add a bit of flavor and differentiation to the descriptions.

Ex:
Frontier and Spirit are ultra-low cost carriers. You'll get nickel and dimed on everything (including but not limited to seat selection and carry-on items on top of bag fees and bigger seats). However, if barebones flying is your thing, you can get the absolute lowest fare here.
  • Spirit Note: Definitely go for the bigger seats up front.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
If I have a question about trying to figure out baggage allowances for a codeshare flight, is this the right thread to ask in? I'm so confused!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

erobadapazzi posted:

If I have a question about trying to figure out baggage allowances for a codeshare flight, is this the right thread to ask in? I'm so confused!

Sure, we can handle that. :) For international trips, the concept of, "most significant carrier" applies. This means that the carrier of the longest geographic segment determines the baggage policy for the trip. Wherein if you have a ticket that has a short segment from China to Hong Kong on Air China, then Lufthansa to Frankfurt, then LOT to Warsaw, LH is the most significant carrier and their baggage policies would apply to the whole ticket.

The notable exception to this is tickets that contain a segment in the US. In that case, the airline for the first segment on the ticket has their baggage rules applied. And, of course, there are exceptions to those rules as well.

Baggage can be a pain in the rear end to decipher. If you've got specific carriers in mind, post them and we'll delve into it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thwomp posted:

I think a basic description would be appropriate but if anyone has tips (like you said about bigger seats on Spirit) would add a bit of flavor and differentiation to the descriptions.

Ex:
Frontier and Spirit are ultra-low cost carriers. You'll get nickel and dimed on everything (including but not limited to seat selection and carry-on items on top of bag fees and bigger seats). However, if barebones flying is your thing, you can get the absolute lowest fare here.
  • Spirit Note: Definitely go for the bigger seats up front.

Ok, I'll think about that and see what we can come up with. Times like these I wish we had a wiki function.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Okay, my baggage question:

Tickets are all issued by Korean Air, but the flights are all operated by Delta. First flight is ULN to ICN. Then there is a just under 24-hour layover. Second flight is ICN to DTW.

Essentially, my brother is coming through Korea on his way home from vacation, and I want him to carry my bicycle back to America for me. Korean Air will just count it as a piece of luggage. Delta will charge $150 to take it. I figured I was just out of luck, but then I kept finding stuff talking about the "marketing" carrier's policies applying. I've confused myself.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

When you print out that dozen-page-long email they send you to confirm your ticket purchase, there's usually a page of verbiage about luggage in there.

Read that.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

erobadapazzi posted:

Okay, my baggage question:

Tickets are all issued by Korean Air, but the flights are all operated by Delta. First flight is ULN to ICN. Then there is a just under 24-hour layover. Second flight is ICN to DTW.

Essentially, my brother is coming through Korea on his way home from vacation, and I want him to carry my bicycle back to America for me. Korean Air will just count it as a piece of luggage. Delta will charge $150 to take it. I figured I was just out of luck, but then I kept finding stuff talking about the "marketing" carrier's policies applying. I've confused myself.

I'm pretty sure Delta isn't flying ULN-ICN; that's probably a KE flight which connects to the DL flight in ICN. Assuming that's true, the question becomes who's ticket stock is it on? Delta's starts with 006 and Korean's is 180. And are the flights booked as code shares on the other's ticket stock? All of those things will have an impact on the baggage rules. To my understanding, if it's a KE ticket on KE stock and KE is flying the first segment with a KE codeshare flight number on DL metal for the second segment, they will probably check the bike all the way through. If not, YMMV.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

150 is still cheaper than international post so suck it up. Can you dismantle the bike and stuff it in a more standard size box or suitcase?

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Mackieman posted:

I'm pretty sure Delta isn't flying ULN-ICN; that's probably a KE flight which connects to the DL flight in ICN. Assuming that's true, the question becomes who's ticket stock is it on? Delta's starts with 006 and Korean's is 180. And are the flights booked as code shares on the other's ticket stock? All of those things will have an impact on the baggage rules. To my understanding, if it's a KE ticket on KE stock and KE is flying the first segment with a KE codeshare flight number on DL metal for the second segment, they will probably check the bike all the way through. If not, YMMV.

You're right. I wasn't paying attention. I think the original flight might actually be operated by Mongolian Airlines. The bike wouldn't be checked in until the second leg, though, which is the Delta one. The flight numbers as booked are KE5866 and KE7273. Regardless, my brother is going to take the bike for me (the box will be too big for EMS, and I will be too loaded down with other stuff to deal with it when I fly home myself next month), I was just curious if I could expect to be paying the $150 or not. I appreciate the input.

As to the question about dismantling the bike even more, that might be something I would look into if I had a bike guy here that I trusted enough. As it is, it's not worth the potential headache for me.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

erobadapazzi posted:

You're right. I wasn't paying attention. I think the original flight might actually be operated by Mongolian Airlines. The bike wouldn't be checked in until the second leg, though, which is the Delta one. The flight numbers as booked are KE5866 and KE7273. Regardless, my brother is going to take the bike for me (the box will be too big for EMS, and I will be too loaded down with other stuff to deal with it when I fly home myself next month), I was just curious if I could expect to be paying the $150 or not. I appreciate the input.

As to the question about dismantling the bike even more, that might be something I would look into if I had a bike guy here that I trusted enough. As it is, it's not worth the potential headache for me.

Yeah, if it's DL metal you'll check in with DL and their baggage policies will apply so you'd be charged the fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wasn't sure where to put this so I will put it here.

I fly out of Bangkok at 6:30 AM. This means I need to get to the airport in the middle of the night. What should I do with my luggage? Should I just book an extra night and leave my luggage in the room or is there a way to deal with luggage and not having to get the extra night.

I have googled it and can't find an answer. It seems this sort of thing would pop up.