Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja.Bob
Mar 31, 2005
The tricky bit about bikes is not why they turn, but why they stay up, the turning bit is sorted.

Bikes go around corners because the front wheel is offset to the back wheel relative to the direction of travel. If you had a bike that couldn't steer (fixed front end) it would not be able to corner, instead the bike would just flop over if you tried to lean.

As you go around the corner the front and back wheel will take different paths with the front wheel describing a wider arc, hence the need for steering, you offset the front wheel to the outside of the turn you are taking. Once the wheels are offset to each other the bike will begin to turn. The front wheel then needs to turn into the turn until the offset is neither increasing or decreasing, this is a stable turn. This does not mean the handlebars will be pointing into the turn, but depends on the speed, lean angle, radius of turn, height of centre of mass, length of wheel base, etc.

Tightening or widening your line mid corner is changing the offset i.e. to tighten a turn you turn opposite to the direction of turn (push on the inside bar), increasing the offset of the front wheel, to widen it you turn into the turn, reducing the offset and lift your bike up.

To get the front wheel offset you can either (counter) steer the bike, or lean and let the bike steer itself, one of these is objectively more effective than the other.

In summary I think that everyone agrees that:
1. Bikes work (and are pretty great)
2. (Counter) Steering makes your bike turn
3. Leaning also makes your bike turn but not as well
4. Understanding counter steering can help you become a better rider as you understand how to get the most rapid and controlled change in direction possible.
5. This argument/discussion is dumb or at least in the wrong thread

The reverse rotating rotors were aimed at reducing the gyroscopic forces and therefore reducing the effort required to turn the bars, not at how the bike itself turns. The idea being that less effort required means greater precision in steering. (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/311/1486/motorcycle-article/reverse-rotating-rotors-update.aspx)

Edit: Top of page so a cool picture to invalidate everything I have said:

Ninja.Bob fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can we post pics or videos now

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ShaneB posted:

KLR six fiddy time

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Does SA still have word filters? If so we need a replacement anytime someone types "countersteering"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ninja.Bob posted:

Edit: Top of page so a cool picture to invalidate everything I have said:

SM racing has nothing to do with physics, clearly they follow some other, as-yet undiscovered rules.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just before I run - what the gently caress do you think counter steering actually means? You cannot countersteer with your hands off the bars, by definition.

(I suspect this might be at the heart of the argument here - people seem to think "countersteering" is any deviation of the front wheel from the axis of travel and it's not - that's just steering. It specifically means using steering input to get the bike to lean, to then allow you to steer the bike through the corner.)

Exactly. And what I'm saying is that you can accomplish this by weighting the pegs. You can make the bars move by shifting your weight on the pegs in specific ways. You can make them move in the same way that you do when you countersteer them, laying the bike over likewise. It is just that:

Z3n posted:

Jesus Christ this is the most absurd argument. It is possible to turn a bike without using the bars, just not with any measure of precision, speed, or accuracy. I value all of those things, so using body weight to turn a bike is functionally worthless to me.

^^^ That's the end of the argument as far as what I'm saying. Agree completely. But when you hear that you 'can't steer a motorcycle with the pegs, you have to countersteer(hands on bars)' said absolutely, well it's just not true.

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think anyone has claimed that steering by shifting your weight side to side is ever a good idea or a more effective or precise way of controlling the bike. The argument is just "is it possible to do so?" and the answer is absolutely yes. Motorcycles are dynamically stable in a straight line, and countersteering is a way of upsetting that balance to induce the lean that causes the turn on the frog on the log on the bottom of the sea. If you can upset the balance in another way and induce the same lean, you can cause the same turn.

It's trivial to steer a bicycle by shifting your hips side to side -- I can ride my bike indefinitely and turn steeply enough to make U-turn in two lanes without touching the bars. I bet if you analyzed it in some detail, the only difference between that situation and the one you're in on a motorycle is that the vehicle outweighs you by three or four times, instead of you outweighing it by the same amount. That's what makes me imagine that if you weighed like five hundred pounds, and could shove all that mass over to one side or the other of the vehicle, you could no-hands a motorcycle the same way an average person can a bicycle.

Hi 5, see we aren't so different :)

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 30, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Of course a Brit riding an Italian bike would bring up this load of pollux

:golfclap:

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Shimrod posted:

This arguement is so loving stupid. You can turn the bike with just shifting your body weight, I do it all the time, it's not as effective as using the bars but it works. If you don't believe it happens, you will if you go out and actually do it. Holy poo poo.

On non-stupid topics;

I got some PR4s yesterday, new chain too. They're great.

That bike needs a clean :stare:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Jesus, is this still going? It's really not hard.

Barnsy posted:

Every time I see something about countersteering the scientist inside me cringes, and I'm not even a physicist. It's very obvious that at higher speeds, there's no 'bike falling in the other direction' happening.

Then the scientist inside you apparently needs to learn that the laws of physics don't just change at different speeds or scales* :)

The bigger the bike, the higher the speed, the bigger the inertial mass meaning the greater leverage needed to make the bike lean (and thus make the front wheel turn in). The inertial mass of the bike is essentially a combination of Earth's gravity and the velocity of the bike.

The bike has a lot of inertial mass at high speeds and that mass will want to carry on going straight on whatever course it's on. Pointing the front wheel in a given direction will make the bike rotate around the centre of gravity, leaning it in the opposite direction.

Certainly, on a two-wheeled vehicle gyroscopic forces do increase with speed, and have a greater effect, including helping to lean the bike over but it is not the main mechanism of leaning the bike, nor even a major contributor as the axis of rotation is not in line with the bikes CoG. As Sage has pointed out, you can have a bike with no gyroscopic forces whatsoever, and it works just fine.

Both weight shifting and counter steering work, at all speeds, at all weights of bike and rider, to varying degrees. As some have pointed out, with motorcycles as speed increases to track speeds, the body weight of the rider is inconsequential next to the inertial mass of the bike, and has little effect. Counter steering works at all speeds because even when the bike is nearly stationary, the inertial mass of the bike still includes the force of gravity acting on both rider and bike.

EDIT: For reference, the speed required to stop gravity being a factor in motorcycle handling is roughly 40,320 km/h. KTM has yet to confirm whether the next generation Super Duke will be capable.

*quantum scales be damned :colbert:

Ninja.Bob posted:

The tricky bit about bikes is not why they turn, but why they stay up

It becomes easier when you realise that a bike is never going "straight". It's always describing an arc.

Anyone wants to argue with me needs to post a picture or video:

This is an adventure badge, it proves I went on an adventure this week.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 30, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Eh, it'll rain soon. I ride it as my only transport, I gave up on keeping it shiny a long time ago.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
GARSH ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS??? *add a few paragraphs*

At least this might mean you are finally on my level of never talking about counter steering ever again.

hot sauce posted:

Youtube's angriest motorcycle vlogger is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKi3KOntM1I

America's roads are so... wide and undefined.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KARMA! posted:

Much like Americans! Ha... Ha... Ha...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KARMA! posted:

Roads actually differ a lot state by state. :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That dude lives in Alberta :colbert:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Which is technically part of America.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Safety Dance posted:

Which is technically part of America.

:argh:

I think we all knew what was going on there

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Buddy's been having some fun shooting promo videos for Brammo:
Edit: Smugmug album:
http://www.seppes.com/Motorcycles/OtherMoto/Brammo-San-Francisco/

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 30, 2014

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KARMA! posted:

Most of the country expanded with cars, so urban sprawl turns everything into a giant stripmall outside of metro areas.

Seattle still managed to gently caress up their street building, though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.662931,-122.362875,3a,75y,263.41h,58.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUjLzukGrgxZUKn2h_3069g!2e0

Every residential street is a game of 'pull into an unoccupied spot so people can pass'.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I find Seattle interesting because, based on gmaps, the non-rural area is roughly the same as Auckland, it's built on a hilly isthmus, and it only has one highway which runs north-south and, I imagine, is always bottlenecked to gently caress during the day.

I don't know if the zoom level is retained in links but I have them both on 5km zoom and they seem roughly identical in size, if you ignore the 'greater Auckland region' which is just rural and semi-rural areas west of Henderson and south-east of flat bush.

Seattle.

Auckland.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I live in Seattle and have spent time in Auckland, they're not dissimilar in feel.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Spiffness posted:

I live in Seattle and have spent time in Auckland, they're not dissimilar in feel.

Is Southern Seattle a place that nobody wants to go? :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah the south end is like a 3rd world country.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I honestly think Southern Everycity is a place nobody wants to go.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Especially south Detroit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I honestly think Southern Everycity is a place nobody wants to go.

A lot of Canadian cities are the reverse.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

A lot of Canadian cities are the reverse.

As is the UK.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Don't know if this was here already, but this bike is sort of crazy and genius at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfguM8Og-1A

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCAnDmDQgsc

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK2xzWFF_RM

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

adary posted:

Don't know if this was here already, but this bike is sort of crazy and genius at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfguM8Og-1A

Genius, terrifying genius. I love the aircraft inspired body and dash.

EDIT: I'd have done it OD green and fitted a free spinning aerial bomb fuse on the nose:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 31, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I can't believe all you scrubs just scrolled past this like it isn't amazing.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That your roommate, or do you know more than one person with a brammo? Them's some :krad: pics

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

dictionar.com posted:

Especially south Detroit

Yust a city boy!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

I can't believe all you scrubs just scrolled past this like it isn't amazing.

Yeah, cause that's the most impressive jump to have happened on the streets of California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

:cmon:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A 20K dollar 460 lb electric bike jumping is bitchin', even when stacked with a $200 dirt bike from the 80's goin' huge.

(though that DRZ jump will always be rad as poo poo)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh it's urban jumping you're after, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKlbrx79TDE&t=34s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Meh, not the same when a pro does it in a sterile laboratory environment

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Exactly, it isn't the jump that matters. It's the risk of injury/lawsuits that matters.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

That your roommate, or do you know more than one person with a brammo? Them's some :krad: pics

Roommate, yeah.

Better cause he's never jumped a bike before in his life, literally just "Yeah, hit it about 30mph with steady throttle". :v:

Video to come when it gets made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

How should you handle the bike if you catch air like that? Loose on the handlebars when you come down right? Obviously keep it straight. Pretty sure I jumped over a railroad once going like 80, but didn't catch much air because it was uphill.