Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The bar exam is really just an intricate smoke screen to identify those who can see He Who Shall Not Be Named whose likeness is hidden within the test. These lucky few are driven temporarily insane and ushered to a secret location to help in the everlasting struggle. Those who don't are forced to remediate, until they too can see, by receiving a pass on the bar exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

On the other end, we've been running into examiners who are abstracting from concrete claim language in order to assert that claims cover abstract ideas. As in, "so I know you claimed x, which is a process with a concrete result, but really x is just an application of y, and y is abstract; therefore x is abstract." Truly frustrating.

1. A method comprising:
sending a query for directory contents to a remote file server;
receiving a response from the server comprising a plurality of file listings; and
displaying said file listings.

2. The method of claim 1 wherein the file listings are sorted on a parameter.

3. The method of claim 2 wherein the parameter is a count of file accesses.

Abstract?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Good luck, bar exam takers!

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/07/the-only-job-with-an-industry-devoted-to-helping-people-quit/375199/

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Roger_Mudd posted:

Back in my day we could bounce when we were done. They made you just sit there?

IIRC, on the Florida Exam you can leave any section early, but not during the last 15 minutes.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Soylent Pudding posted:

IIRC, on the Florida Exam you can leave any section early, but not during the last 15 minutes.

That's how it worked in NY today. Bounced early and avoided the clusterfuck going on with ExamSoft uploading.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Emanuel Collective posted:

all my friends taking the bar today tell me that Examsoft's servers have totally crashed-none of the exam files will upload, can't even get a call through to their help center. What the gently caress does that company do with it's obscene laptop user fees

Thank you for posting this because I had no idea. I just thought my parent's internet was super lovely.

After 1 day I'm pretty sure I'm well on my way to failing California. I was kinda expecting to though cause I definitely didn't study enough.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Fact is, bar examiners don't want to read your lovely negotiable instruments essays any more than you want to write them. Keep it short, like maybe two or three sentences, and leave early to get some tacos and beer.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

1. A method comprising:
sending a query for directory contents to a remote file server;
receiving a response from the server comprising a plurality of file listings; and
displaying said file listings.

2. The method of claim 1 wherein the file listings are sorted on a parameter.

3. The method of claim 2 wherein the parameter is a count of file accesses.

Abstract?
After the cluster that is Bilski and its aftermath, who knows? But if this is abstract, then the vast majority of currently existing software-related claims can/should be invalidated through CBM proceedings as directed toward ineligible subject matter.

The better approach would be to reject under 103 over x, y, z, because the claims are clearly obvious. But that's not the question you asked.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Alice just seems to collapse 101 into 103 anyway because the universe of what constitutes "conventional" steps will be mostly bounded by the same art. For every hypothetical 101 rejection of a Bilski-type hedging program you could issue a 103 rejection for the combination of the known hedging method and the conventional computer steps.

On an unrelated note, what's the best agency to go through to get doc review jobs? :v: Are they national or does it vary by city? And if so, how would I begin to go about figuring out which one is the best for Houston? (Serious question. Haven't technically lost my job yet, but at the point where I'm 33% of the patent department and playing bad cop in collections calls, well, it's happening one way or the other soon enough.)

Elotana fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 30, 2014

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Fact is, bar examiners don't want to read your lovely negotiable instruments essays any more than you want to write them. Keep it short, like maybe two or three sentences, and leave early to get some tacos and beer.

I answered an entire family law essay with only "The Court will act in the best interests of the child" and they somehow still let me become a lawyer. So this is probably solid advice.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

beefart posted:

Day 1 was fairly easy, MPT and Texas Procedure/Evidence exam, which account for 20% all told. Nobody had a breakdown or anything and it went off without a hitch. Except for the fact that I finished the TPE literally 10 seconds after the 15 minutes remaining mark so I got to sit there for another half hour having to piss like Seabiscuit while the administrators checked to make sure everyone turned in their booklets.

Good luck to you Bold Robot and von Metternich on New York and to any other bargoons out there.

Thanks man!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I answered an entire family law essay with only "The Court will act in the best interests of the child" and they somehow still let me become a lawyer. So this is probably solid advice.

This was more or less my strategy for one of the essays today, I just assumed that in no circumstances is the Court going to let anyone off the hook for child support.

Well, onto the thing I spent 95 percent of the bar review course practicing. MBE ahoy!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Oyak posted:

Does anybody ITT have experience working at a mental hygiene court or with a mental hygiene legal service? It always seemed like a pretty unique form of law to me, I'm curious to hear what it's like.

If you mean involuntary civil commitals, then yes. I'd be happy to talk shop if you have any particular questions, here or in PM. Definitely a lot of variance between jurisdictions, but 95% of the time the doctors get what they ask for.

The most important advice I could give is never go down the rabbit hole.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So how is that whole examsoft thing working?

That was cludgy poo poo back in 2009, apparently it is even worse now.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Yeah. Compared to stress of writing essays on random minutiae, MBE questions are delightful.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Is this the same thing as mental health court/law? I deal with it just about every day since we have a lot of mentally ill clients. I have literally no idea what it's like in the States, but generally it involves a lot of handholding, informal resolutions, discussions with doctors/health officials, and dealing with family. Pretty similar to low-tier criminal law generally, but a bit more involved and closer to being a social worker and less of a lawyer.

That's a pretty apt description of how it works here too, at least in my state, except usually there's no family or may as well be no family.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elotana posted:

Alice just seems to collapse 101 into 103 anyway because the universe of what constitutes "conventional" steps will be mostly bounded by the same art. For every hypothetical 101 rejection of a Bilski-type hedging program you could issue a 103 rejection for the combination of the known hedging method and the conventional computer steps.

Hah, try convincing the USPTO of that, though.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Elotana posted:

On an unrelated note, what's the best agency to go through to get doc review jobs? :v: Are they national or does it vary by city? And if so, how would I begin to go about figuring out which one is the best for Houston? (Serious question. Haven't technically lost my job yet, but at the point where I'm 33% of the patent department and playing bad cop in collections calls, well, it's happening one way or the other soon enough.)

It varies by city. If Counsel on Call has an office in your city, I'd recommend them. I had good experiences and their staffing jobs are sometimes full counsel jobs at corporations rather than just doc review. The director for your region, Julie Brown, is really nice and goes out of her way to help place attorneys. YMMV, I wasn't in Houston. They do use the worst billing site known to man.

nm posted:

So how is that whole examsoft thing working?

That was cludgy poo poo back in 2009, apparently it is even worse now.

It's not working as shown by the latest server outage. Everyone uses it but it's a pile of poo poo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yessss I just got assigned to draft some motions attacking a Sov Citizen's filings. This is it. This is my life's dream come true.

Maybe I can eventually go solo in a 'Defend yourself from SovCits' firm. One stop shop for all your maritime actions.

I'm also thinking I should, at the minimum, wear some boat shoes while drafting this, if not some other nautical apparel. Maybe swim trunks?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

I'm also thinking I should, at the minimum, wear some boat shoes while drafting this, if not some other nautical apparel. Maybe swim trunks?

Admiral's hat you dumb rear end.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Smoke a corncob pipe and make note of that in your filing, and assert the sov citizen did not and therefore has waived standing.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Yessss I just got assigned to draft some motions attacking a Sov Citizen's filings. This is it. This is my life's dream come true.

Maybe I can eventually go solo in a 'Defend yourself from SovCits' firm. One stop shop for all your maritime actions.

Put this in there somewhere:

2. In furtherance of our motion, we have received instruction from the United States Federal Res...........................

...........................................................................................................................

............. leaving the gold escrow of his person below the United Nations acceptable threshold.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

mastershakeman posted:

Write the names of the parties in the caption in mixed case, just to ensure that you're joining the flesh and blood person instead of his de jure corporate straw man legal fiction.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Elotana posted:

There's big ones that are all over the country like Update Legal, Special Counsel, United Lex, and a few more. Check Indeed's and Craigslist' job postings in your area for "Document Review". That's where many of them get posted.

Also sign up for The Posse List's email newsletter.
http://www.theposselist.com

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also sign up for The Posse List's email newsletter.
http://www.theposselist.com
This looks really promising, thanks. I was drafted into an e-discovery administrator position for two years, I'm hoping I could parlay that experience into a legal support job or at least something above "tier 1" doc review.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

echopapa posted:

Write the names of the parties in the caption in mixed case, just to ensure that you're joining the flesh and blood person instead of his de jure corporate straw man legal fiction.

I've always been curious how they would respond to that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Elotana posted:

This looks really promising, thanks. I was drafted into an e-discovery administrator position for two years, I'm hoping I could parlay that experience into a legal support job or at least something above "tier 1" doc review.

With that experience you could almost certainly be a project manager. I would apply to any permanent project manager positions posted in the US if I were you.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Elotana posted:

If you ever want to be a scraggly PoS family law attorney, I'll help you however I can.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Unamuno posted:

Started doing legal work today. On a completely unrelated note, suicide hotlines are anonymous and won't result in the authorities being notified, right? Asking for a friend.

"what's something I can do for a living that's even more soul-crushing than tournament poker? ah, of course"

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
April 7, 2008

quote:

Also, the "T14" isn't always a sharp demarcation, especially if you're in a market that doesn't have a T14 (SoCal, Texas, Georgia, Florida). My grades at Texas are above the mean but not otherwise stellar by any stretch of the imagination, and I didn't have much trouble getting a job. You'll need great grades for the biglaw firms, but there's plenty of smaller firms and government jobs. I don't think you'll be living on Hot Pockets if you pay full price at UCLA or Emory.

April 14, 2008

quote:

My grades aren't law review caliber but they're above average. If I can get a decent job doing patent law I'll be fine, and I'll probably be able to do that.

July 30, 2014

Elotana posted:

On an unrelated note, what's the best agency to go through to get doc review jobs? :v:

to the lurkers: you still have a month not to go

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
So, that MBE today...

I get that they're trying to separate wheat from chaff and all, but holy gently caress they got pretty esoteric.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

scribe jones posted:

"what's something I can do for a living that's even more soul-crushing than tournament poker? ah, of course"

tbh they're a lot less soul crushing when you win a few

I'd say the same for winning cases but then you're still a lawyer :(

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
But then you're still a lawyer! :heysexy:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Adar posted:

April 7, 2008

April 14, 2008

July 30, 2014

to the lurkers: you still have a month not to go

We were all so young once

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
You guys all finished the bar and are drunk right?

Congratulations.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

mikeraskol posted:

Congratulations.

Texas essays tomorrow... the gatekeeper to a week-long bender. I'd be more excited if I wasn't completely hosed on non-oil/gas real property and commercial paper.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

Congratulations.

Or just stumble home and sleep for two days.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

beefart posted:

Texas essays tomorrow... the gatekeeper to a week-long bender. I'd be more excited if I wasn't completely hosed on non-oil/gas real property and commercial paper.

I definitely bullshited half my essays when I took it and I was fine. Bar prep scares you into thinking they are graded much more harshly than they actually are. If you get commercial paper just identify the issues, claim someone is a holder in due course (or isn't), and run with it. You'll get at least half the points so unless you totally cocked up the multiple choice you'll be fine.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

seymore posted:

Or just stumble home and sleep for two days.

That's not thinking like a lawyer, you're going to fail the bar that way.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

beefart posted:

I ignored oil and gas and negotiable but passed by a wide margin. I literally didn't recognize most of the terms in the oil and gas question.

It probably helped that the family law question was exactly what i had studied, though.

Wait, you're already in testing room. Never mind.

You probably passed, beef art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

scribe jones posted:

Specifically appellate criminal defense. At least in poker you can fold and play another hand when you're drawing stone dead.

Didn't even take 4 days of trying to write a brief for an unwinnable case before I had a legit nervous breakdown. Maybe I am not so cut out for litigation?