Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The numbers are bad, but the last few things here make me feel like they're going the "stay the course, make it better, don't cut poo poo" route at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Daniel Bryan posted:

Daniel Bryan gets WWE 667K subscribers. Then they lose 128K of them once he leaves. Coincidence???????????????

John Cena and Rock PPV gets 1.7 million and Bryan Mania loses 670K and doesn't make Network numbers. Bryan and Indies = WWE Death.

Kevin Dunn inherits WWE. All models and bodybuilders from now on and WWE officially becomes Talent Seach...outsourcing to American Idol.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bettik posted:

What does "on an over-the-top basis" mean? Is that marketing speak for something?

I'm basically curious if us filthy outlanders will be able to pay our funnymoney rubles for this Fine American Product soon, preferably without needing some weird archaic system like cable TV or whatever.

Its a reference to cable/satellite boxes being called Set-top boxes back in the day.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

coconono posted:

Its a reference to cable/satellite boxes being called Set-top boxes back in the day.

See that's what I figured when I read it, but I took it to mean you'd need one to get onto this thing. Apparently it means precisely the opposite.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bettik posted:

See that's what I figured when I read it, but I took it to mean you'd need one to get onto this thing. Apparently it means precisely the opposite.

Its wonky advertising created by people who absolutely no idea what they're dealing with.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
There's no reason for me to subscribe to the Network after Summerslam as the PPV's will be most likely poo poo

Unless they add all Nitro's and attitude era raw, then I ain't interested anymore

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Evil Canadian posted:

As a Canadian I am really, really disappointed about this Rogers thing, why can't we just get the same product as everyone else? :(

As time goes by, I'm more and more convinced Vince hates Canada

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Ryback bought Hell In A Cell and Payback numbers up, push him to the moon.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

There's no reason for me to subscribe to the Network after Summerslam as the PPV's will be most likely poo poo

Unless they add all Nitro's and attitude era raw, then I ain't interested anymore

The most likely scenario right now is that nitros start going up when they hit the September Raw episodes from 1995, which, at this pace, will be next month.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

NOC at least will probably be good because they're anticipating this mentality. I just hope they don't Tuesday in Texas Summerslam for it, because that card is looking so great right now. Best since Mania.

e: honestly, maybe better than Mania. I was only really invested in the two Bryan matches and Bray/Cena for that. Really loving invested, though!

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 31, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Interesting note from Big Dave

quote:

The cutbacks are so significant that they now feel they can break even on 500,000 subscribers in 2015 as opposed to 1.4 million subscribers and at 1.5 million subscribers they will have OIBDA of $100 million to $120 million, which is more than they had pre-network.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Deadpool posted:

Okay, that's very significant news that changes the whole conversation.

I knew I should have just waited for Dave's analysis before trying to parse all this news.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

NOC at least will probably be good because they're anticipating this mentality. I just hope they don't Tuesday in Texas Summerslam for it, because that card is looking so great right now. Best since Mania.

They already pulled a Tuesday In Texas with Battlegrounds, if they pull it with Summerslam for freaking Night of Champions I'll laugh heartily.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

triplexpac posted:

As time goes by, I'm more and more convinced Vince hates Canada

Rogers and Bell are in an all-out loving war to buy up exclusive contracts to all live sports they possibly can in Canada, because it's one of the few thing that keeps people subscribed to Cable. Bell has the CFL on TSN, Rogers has the NHL and Blue Jays on its networks. Bell is planning on expanding TSN from one channel to five channels this fall. There's no way Rogers didn't throw a ton of cash at WWE for that deal.

To explain this to those in the US, all the major sports channels in Canada are owned by two of the biggest Cable companies, Bell and Rogers. Bell pays to have Rogers' sports channels in their lineup and vice versa. What they're both trying to do is get exclusive content on their sports channels so they can put the cock to each other during negotiations over carriage fees and sports fans in Canada are the ones who get the short end of the stick. Basically, WWE Network just became another channel that Rogers is going to sell to Bell along with its Sportsnet channels. Just imagine if Comcast owned ESPN and Dish network owned Fox Sports One and Two, and they were constantly trying to one up each other in terms of content. They still sell the channels to each other, because you don't want to lose a huge chunk of your potential audience and thus ad revenue, so they could charge each other huge carriage fees. It's way more complicated than that, but that's the cliffs notes version of why Rogers wanted WWE Network so bad.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 31, 2014

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
This just got posted on their youtube channel

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Bettik posted:

What does "on an over-the-top basis" mean? Is that marketing speak for something?

I was hoping that it meant people in the international market had to win an over-the-top battle royale to earn a Network subscription

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is wonderful. I posted it earlier in the thread but of course it got lost due to Network chat. People really need to see it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deadpool posted:

Good lord, how many people are they firing?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

Please fire Kevin Dunn, please fire Kevin Dunn, please fire Kevin Dunn...

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I was surprised to see such an insanely paint-by-numbers PPV build as Battleground at a time when the announcers were straight up begging people to subscribe to the Network and the company was waiting on the big subscriber number. Still, there hasn't been any panic with the stock price today so maybe it's all okay?

The international market's a big deal, I can't imagine that many people are actually using VPN.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

TheJoker138 posted:

Please fire Kevin Dunn, please fire Kevin Dunn, please fire Kevin Dunn...

Turns out Kevin Dunn's salary was 60% of annual revenue, he bought WWE and fired Trips.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Put it this way: that one poster from earlier in the thread was eerily prescient when they said that all shows would be just Cena vs. Reigns going forward. :v:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Big guy, big buy.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Deadpool posted:

"We'll make this Network thing work or by god burn the company to the ground trying!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

This but unironically.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Codependent Poster posted:

Big guy, big buy.
Big necks, cashin' in all the cheques

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Holy christ what do they have to cut to make 500K the break-even point?? Does all of NXT get flushed? IS BAYLEY SAFE??

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Chokes McGee posted:

This but unironically.

I love Ryback and I'm glad his buyrates reflect his greatness

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jesus christ they must be cutting poo poo down to the bone if the new projection is 500,000.

RIP Zeb Colter.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

flashy_mcflash posted:

Holy christ what do they have to cut to make 500K the break-even point?? Does all of NXT get flushed? IS BAYLEY SAFE??
Well, they said 7% of their staff in Stamford.

Bayley's safe. :3

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

They can't afford the stage crew anymore, so everyone just gets the Gillberg entrance.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

This got an actual laugh from me. It freezing on Bo Dallas at the end was the best.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Daniel Bryan posted:

Daniel Bryan gets WWE 667K subscribers. Then they lose 128K of them once he leaves. Coincidence???????????????

The lack of Daniel Bryan is seriously making me consider not re-upping so......

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yes, but wacky waving inflatable tube man #2 got cut though, sorry

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it entirely possible that among the cuts included some .com writers and poo poo? I swear there's like ten of them.

And yes I pray to god they shitcanned Dunn and he's worth like 400K off the breakeven point (neither of these things are true but a guy can fantasize). In all seriousness though I feel terrible for the lost jobs and that's terrible. I'm not even happy about the change of the Network's prospects given how many people are probably out of jobs now. :smith:

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

flashy_mcflash posted:

It helps that they don't have to pay 3MB's 250k per appearance fee

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

This but unironically.

Why would I ever be ironic about THE BIG GUY!?

Out of interest how much was Punk making before his contract ran out?

Blasmeister posted:

Yes, but wacky waving inflatable tube man #2 got cut though, sorry

Good, no one liked Mojo Rawley.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Guys, it's the break even for 2015 which was lower to begin with because of the lack of startup costs.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

oldpainless posted:

Between his age/lifestyle, the complete and utter failure of the Network and its unquestionable cancellation and losing 340 million dollars in cash recently, I am sincerely concerned for Vince McMahon.

stocks arent cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Out of interest how much was Punk making before his contract ran out?

Punk sacrificed his career to ensure that wrestling would survive

• Locked thread