Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Nintendo Kid posted:

What don't you like about Technocracy?

I'm asking a question it order to better understand people's positions. I don't really feel like arguing on the internet (as it accomplices gently caress all) but seeing why people have certain opinions is a thing I like to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Wealth is correlated to education.

The issue with education is that it correlates with success, and success correlates with seeing the world as meritocratic.

USA Gallup poll concerning the Vietnam War from January, 1971:

James Loewen posted:

[s]imilar results were registered again and again, in surveys by Harris, NORC, and others... Throughout our long involvement in Southeast Asia, on issues related to Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, or Laos, the grade school-educated were always the most dovish, the college-educated the most hawkish.

And it didn't stop there. Birchers, Reagan supporters, Iraq war supporters, and so on were more likely to be college educated.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 2, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fansy posted:

The issue with education is that it correlates with success, and success correlates with seeing the world as meritocratic.

USA Gallup poll concerning the Vietnam War from January, 1971:

That's because there was a draft. The same correlation did not hold true for Iraq:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/7699/blacks-postgraduates-among-groups-most-likely-oppose-iraq-invasion.aspx

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

That's because there was a draft. The same correlation did not hold true for Iraq:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/7699/blacks-postgraduates-among-groups-most-likely-oppose-iraq-invasion.aspx

What's a democracy called if only elderly black women can vote? That might be our best bet.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
I think in America today we have too much democracy (too much AND it doesn't work very well). If I am a good citizen, I have to vote for all of the following people:

(1) City Councilman
(1) City Mayor
(34) County Court of Common Pleas Judges
(1) County Councilman
(1) County Executive
(1) State Auditor
(1) State Attorney General
(1) State Secretary of State
(1) State Treasurer
(1) State Board of Education representative
(12) State Court of Appeals Judges
(7) State Supreme Court Judges
(1) State Senator
(1) State House Representative
(1) State Governor and Lieutenant Governor ticket
(1) Federal Congressman
(2) Federal Senators
(1) Federal Executive and VP ticket

I don't feel the list is all-inclusive, but that totals up to 69 positions I am responsible for voting for semi-regularly. The judges have longer terms, but on each election I do go to there are about a half dozen judges to vote for. Not to mention that ballots usually have a few local issues, and apparently you are supposed to vote for people in your political party committee as well. Probably also your union if you are a member of one.

I feel we could safely get rid of voting for all the judges, and get rid of at least one level of government, either County or State. Probably also get rid of all the federal Senators.

For legislative bodies I feel we should go to a more randomly selected jury duty type system, rather than our farcical current system.

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 2, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Some states HAVE gotten rid of county governments either in full or almost completely, but they're also states that are geographically small.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Some states HAVE gotten rid of county governments either in full or almost completely, but they're also states that are geographically small.

In the NE counties pretty much arn't a thing.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You're assuming that knowing 'the right thing to do' is a skill or craft. It's not, it's an opinion. An opinion that is often a result of self-interest, which is then justified after the fact. Human beings tend to do this! If you create a society governed by a technical elite, you will create a oligarchic dystopia. If you think that's an improvement, or a good society to have, then I'm sorry you're just insane. If you think technicians are somehow immune to acting from self-interest, then that is naive elitism!
You probably wouldn't make a good carpenter either, but you're missing the point. You keep thinking that politics is a craft, it's not. Inter-twinned in the political process are assumptions about what society should be, that is, opinions. You can't prove that one opinion is objectively better than another, because each ordering of political positions must itself make assumptions that certain kinds of opinions are better than others: that is, embedded into any ordering of subjective statements is a subjectivity, a morality. If you grant control over societies' morality to the rich (for example), then society (as a system) will respect the wishes of the rich over and above all others. That leads to terrible outcomes, and it stands against the ideal of a fair and equal society.

So while the activities of the surgeon general often do require specific medical knowledge, the political side of his tasks do not. But, here's the catch: the surgeon general gets their position through nomination and confirmation. They may be a political creature, but the kind of political creature they are is under the direct control of politicians. The surgeon general is a member of the bureaucracy, people chosen to fulfill someone else's political goals (in this case, the president and the senate).

rudatron fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 2, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

rudatron posted:

You probably wouldn't make a good carpenter either, but you're missing the point. You keep thinking that politics is a craft, it's not. Inter-twinned in the political process are assumptions about what society should be, that is, opinions. You can't prove that one opinion is objectively better than another, because each ordering of political positions must itself make assumptions that certain kinds of opinions are better than others: that is, embedded into any ordering of subjective statements is a subjectivity, a morality.
I would assert that a policy of spending money on creating and maintaining transportation infrastructure is better in a non-subjective sense than a policy of burning that same amount of money in a big pit.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Eh, while there's certainly lots of uninformed politicians around, they're certainly more knowledgeable than the general population on most issues. Taking the example of Norway, it's clear that politicians are gradually becoming more professionalized and distant from the public. They're more highly educated, wealthier, and an ever increasing percentage of them haven't had any other job than politician in their adult lives. Without having references to other countries, I'm guessing this isn't only a Norwegian phenomena.

This can be viewed in two ways. In one sense, the politicians are becoming ever more distanced from the people they actually govern, and are thus less likely to understand the public's interests. In the vein of rudatron's thinking that politicians exists to make value judgments, their values are likely to be different than the public's.

On the other hand, there's certainly a benefit to MPs having better qualifications than the general public. Politics is certainly a craft, and thinking about policy as primarily value judgments is wishful thinking. There are plenty of political decisions that aren't ideological, and in these cases there can certainly be a benefit to having educated, smart people making these decisions.

In my view, the differences between politicians and the public only become problematic when income and class differences create large barriers of entry to politics, so that all the politicians come from the same class background. At that point they will, intentionally or not, defend their own interests. In this it seems that the key to a healthy democracy is being able to draw on the best people from all classes. This requires a certain degree of egalitarianism in opportunities for both education and political participation that sadly seems to be gradually vanishing in many countries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Erland posted:

On the other hand, there's certainly a benefit to MPs having better qualifications than the general public. Politics is certainly a craft, and thinking about policy as primarily value judgments is wishful thinking. There are plenty of political decisions that aren't ideological, and in these cases there can certainly be a benefit to having educated, smart people making these decisions.
Can you give us examples of these political decisions that aren't ideological? Do they outweigh the ideological decisions in aggregate, or is the majority of politics in terms of actual impact on people's lives determined by the goals set by policy makers?

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 2, 2014

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can you give us examples of these political decisions that aren't ideological?

Sure. Not to instantly backpedal, but I should probably have written "that aren't purely ideological". It will obviously be the ideological issues that receive the most attention and controversies, and as such the work of politicians on non-ideological issues will not be noticed as much.

As an example, let us take the localization of the Norwegian main airport, Oslo Gardermoen. Prior to it being built, there was a huge debate about where it should be placed. As the project went on, the politicians had to consider, among other things, weather conditions, economic developments of different regions, possibilities for other transport connections and so on. This was a huge decision that mattered to a lot of people, but at the same time, it's difficult to ascertain ideological slants to any of the alternatives proposed. The main job for the politicians was aggregating the available data and coming to a conclusion. While much of the grunt work is left to to bureaucrats, the decisions fall to the politicians.

Which kinds of weapon systems should be bought for the military, city planning issues and many legal issues fall under the category "things that are really important but may not be possible to assign an ideological side to." They certainly have ideological elements as well, but that isn't the only thing that needs to be considered.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

rudatron posted:

But my point wasn't just about mistakes of judgement or whatever, it was about what they want. The general public and the ruling class want very different things from society. They desire different outcomes because they are their own group, separate from society as a whole. When you give them power, you give them the opportunity to deny the outcomes the public wants, in favor of the ones they want. A rule-by-experts is not an objective system, because there is no such thing as an objective governing system. It's an oligarchy, and it inherits the same kind of problems you see in oligarchies everywhere.

Representative democracy as we know it is an improvement, but incomplete. The people making decisions in a representative democracy are not the same kind of people as the public in general, they have different goals. The system remains undemocratic until those goals align with those of the public. In most countries today, it is the rich whose interests are over-represented, simply by the expense of running an election campaign.

Direct democracy involving everyone, on every issue, undermines the point of having a government that takes care of its issues for the people. Only a very small number of people want to be politically motivated all the time, most (rightly) see politics as something that gets in the way of them living their lives. So that's not feasible, people aren't going to get on board with that. You have select a subset, and we know from statistics that a simple, random sample is likely to be representative of a population. This, I claim, is the more democratic system, the one were representatives are chosen by lottery.

If your immediate reaction to that is 'they're too stupid', then you reveal your elitism. Political representatives today are morons, they rely on a bureaucracy below them to actually do work, they themselves aren't that clever. The average person is more than capable of fulfilling that role.

First no, I don't think people are stupid. Not thinking people are stupid is a prerequisite to supporting democracy in my opinion. And more broadly, society in general is dependent on on it's members similar to how a recipe is dependent on the quality of its ingredients. Both can be greater than the sum of their parts, but can't make up entirely for spoiled ingredients.

I'm someone who also argues that money isn't a controlling factor in our current system for the same reason: people aren't entirely stupid and marketing can't convince them of anything. This relates to our current debate in the sense that you think the political class, despite being accountable to the populace via elections is essentially able to deceive/ignore them. I don't think this happens to the extent you do, and I think my belief is also consistent with people not being stupid.

In general I just want to make it clear that this is something of a sliding scale. What you're proposing isn't government directly by the people, it sounds like you're suggesting that our current legislative systems get replaced by a body of random appointments. These random appointments will presumably have a similar dependence on experts to advise them and many layers of management to execute those goals. This is like our current system, with with one significant layer removed, though one layer of many.

I think the realistic goal is to change the type of influence that the experts have, perhaps change their incentive structure and hold them more accountable. But there isn't much room to realistically diminish the role of experts in actually guiding and executing policy.

Who here understands the electric grid and the reliability, security and efficiency problems facing it? Clearly good energy policy requires being informed on this. Not only does good execution depend on it, but even setting the goals to begin with depends on it. So I'd also be careful trying to draw a line between the experts and the goal setters, I don't think there is a clear one there. Good goals also requires good information, and the more the better.

So if I'm right I think you're outlining a different point on the scale where the people have "more" direct control, but I don't necessarily see this as being drastically different.

The next question would be whether your randomly selected body would actually function well (challenges that come to mind: getting people to show up - it seems like burden 1000X worse than Jury duty today, and not letting the random appointments get manipulated by the permanent class of advisors that will roughly mimic lobbyists today). This is a somewhat seperate debate.

rudatron posted:

You're assuming that knowing 'the right thing to do' is a skill or craft. It's not, it's an opinion. An opinion that is often a result of self-interest, which is then justified after the fact. Human beings tend to do this! If you create a society governed by a technical elite, you will create a oligarchic dystopia. If you think that's an improvement, or a good society to have, then I'm sorry you're just insane. If you think technicians are somehow immune to acting from self-interest, then that is naive elitism!

You probably wouldn't make a good carpenter either, but you're missing the point. You keep thinking that politics is a craft, it's not. Inter-twinned in the political process are assumptions about what society should be, that is, opinions. You can't prove that one opinion is objectively better than another, because each ordering of political positions must itself make assumptions that certain kinds of opinions are better than others: that is, embedded into any ordering of subjective statements is a subjectivity, a morality. If you grant control over societies' morality to the rich (for example), then society (as a system) will respect the wishes of the rich over and above all others. That leads to terrible outcomes, and it stands against the ideal of a fair and equal society.

So while the activities of the surgeon general often do require specific medical knowledge, the political side of his tasks do not. But, here's the catch: the surgeon general gets their position through nomination and confirmation. They may be a political creature, but the kind of political creature they are is under the direct control of politicians. The surgeon general is a member of the bureaucracy, people chosen to fulfill someone else's political goals (in this case, the president and the senate).

Politics is the process of making group decisions. There are ways to be good at this. Knowing how to prioritize conflicting and competing goals, being good at generating consensus and crafting compromises that get the most for everyone involved. It's not a scientific process where we can look at polls and know what the best policy is. Being attune to those goals and knowing how to set out to achieve them is certainly a craft. Again, there is no bright line between the experts and the goal setters, part of what makes a good politician is the ability to bridge that gap.

Though note that the above doesn't automatically mean we need a professional political class because it's possible for the negatives to outweigh the positives. But I think it's wrong to pretend that there isn't a craft to good politics.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 2, 2014

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

The Erland posted:

Which kinds of weapon systems should be bought for the military, city planning issues and many legal issues fall under the category "things that are really important but may not be possible to assign an ideological side to." They certainly have ideological elements as well, but that isn't the only thing that needs to be considered.

There may be some purely non-ideological political items out there, but I am not sure what they are.

Military weapon systems are very ideological, as well as city planning.

Heck, we have a situation in the US where the military wants to scrap certain weapon systems but the legislative branch will not allow it due to manufacturing interests in their districts (A-10 is the first that comes to mind). The ideological thrust is that any cut will make us weak and allow the Chinese to take over, along with slavishly serving the interests of the military-industrial lobby.

The decision to support the federal highway system with what, 200 billion dollars of spending or more each year is ideologically based around the car and single family suburban home ownership. Those resources could be committed very differently towards other infrastructure development - say, a better light rail or high speed rail system. Everybody used to get around perfectly fine on trains and streetcars but it was a very conscious ideological series of decisions which ended up where we are today. Cars are pretty awesome but they are drat expensive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gfarrell80 posted:

Everybody used to get around perfectly fine on trains and streetcars

Unless moving between cities was a goal you had.

(Also streetcars were demonstrably worse than what replaced them)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

gfarrell80 posted:

(A-10 is the first that comes to mind).

Isn't the A-10 a case of air force(not wanting it) vs army(wanting it), because we don't manufacture them anymore. I think the M-1 is the example you seek.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Erland posted:

City planning has a ton to do with ideology. To give an example, one of the big issues here in Denmark is that the student population in the major towns is (and has been) growing, without a similar increase in housing. The decision not to built more housing is directly related to the fact that this will cut down on the profits of developers that own existing housing. I'm certain similar choices are made constantly all over the world.

gfarrell80 posted:

Those resources could be committed very differently towards other infrastructure development
This is something that's going to be true for a lot of political decisions. Maybe the exact way you design a new airport is largely technical (maybe), but the decision to built a new airport is itself a choice that's going to prevent you from doing other things.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

A Buttery Pastry posted:

City planning has a ton to do with ideology. To give an example, one of the big issues here in Denmark is that the student population in the major towns is (and has been) growing, without a similar increase in housing. The decision not to built more housing is directly related to the fact that this will cut down on the profits of developers that own existing housing. I'm certain similar choices are made constantly all over the world.

This is something that's going to be true for a lot of political decisions. Maybe the exact way you design a new airport is largely technical (maybe), but the decision to built a new airport is itself a choice that's going to prevent you from doing other things.

I agree with you, city planning was a bad example. I see that I've formulated myself rather badly. There will always be ideological sides to pretty much everything. I guess to put my point more succinctly: No matter what ideologically based goals the politicians chooses to prioritize, there will be effective and ineffective ways of achieving those goals. Choosing which tools to use is also a large part of politics, and can't necessarily be reduced to ideology.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gfarrell80 posted:

The decision to support the federal highway system with what, 200 billion dollars of spending or more each year is ideologically based around the car and single family suburban home ownership. Those resources could be committed very differently towards other infrastructure development - say, a better light rail or high speed rail system. Everybody used to get around perfectly fine on trains and streetcars but it was a very conscious ideological series of decisions which ended up where we are today. Cars are pretty awesome but they are drat expensive.

This is just wrong. In the heyday of rail travel, passenger travel was rather expensive for anything other than select commuter services. The common man simply didn't travel at all, and if he did do it regularly it would be by stagecoach which while still somewhat pricy would tend to cost a lot less than rail fares. Even the cheaper commuter and intraurban lines didn't have allt hat many people using them, because in their day the country was way more rural than it is now.

Also spending billions on the federal highway system has little to do with suburban home ownership, it's about making sure it 's possible to get between places. Pining for high speed rail is a silly dream, as it's only viable for certain distances of travel.

Remember that America is in the top 5 countries for proportion of domestic freight carried by rail too, sometimes it's considered to be straight up #2 behind China. Unlike Europe, our freight system is massive, and keeps tons and tons of trucks off the road, and restricts many more trucks to just doing short shuttle hauls between freight terminals and final customers.

PS: replacing trolleys with buses in the early 20th century was for the most part the exact right decision, they were vastly cheaper to use and you have to remember that just about all mass transit then was provided by private companies that had to maintain profits.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I'd reckon that there's indeed a great value to having bureaucracy be specialized to a large extent, but I also agree with the notion that our elected officials, who vote on many pieces of legislation of various different types are not necessarily better fit for the job than most. They are not trained to be a politician in the same way an electrician is trained, for instance, and in many occasions those representatives who are seated on various committees are there not because they have expertise in that subject, it's sometimes just politics.

I mostly reject the idea, in general, that some people in this topic have espoused, about the necessity of the "smart people" to be in positions of power because it is those same "smart people" that define what "smart" means. It's totally incestuous. Why does a guy who graduated from Harvard Law have more authority on, say, raising the Medicare retirement age than an ironworker? Especially when in most cases politicians don't exactly come to their own conclusions on a ton of subjects and instead rely on the "common wisdom" of the "smart people".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If it's advantageous for politicians to be experts at being politicians, making policy, and so on, why not make politics a branch of the civil service, funded by the state, with classes and technical training in publicly-funded technical schools or academies, rather than a pricey career, half of which must be spent on campaigning? It seems that the current system will obviously predispose the political class towards wealthy, highly-educated individuals with connections, because one has to start from a relatively wealthy base in order to have "time off" to get elected.

I guess public funding of political campaigns would be a really good start towards implementing something like a "professionalization" of politics.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

computer parts posted:

Unless moving between cities was a goal you had.

(Also streetcars were demonstrably worse than what replaced them)

Maybe I'm painting a picture of roses in the past, but have you ever tried to ride a bus anywhere? The few times in my life I've done bus commuting it is annoying as hell. Of course I have never tried using a streetcar either.

And I would say that while highways do stretch between cities, they are not a primary means of moving people and freight between cities. Very few people use highways to commute between major metropolitan areas. I maintain that highways are mostly about allowing easy decentralized growth around a city (suburbia).

I'll concede all the other criticisms. But stagecoach a method of travel for the common man? Really? I suppose maybe.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/humanity-surprised-it-still-hasnt-figured-out-bett,36361/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gfarrell80 posted:

Maybe I'm painting a picture of roses in the past, but have you ever tried to ride a bus anywhere? The few times in my life I've done bus commuting it is annoying as hell. Of course I have never tried using a streetcar either.

A streetcar is just a bus that can't change its lane when it's in traffic.

quote:

And I would say that while highways do stretch between cities, they are not a primary means of moving people and freight between cities. Very few people use highways to commute between major metropolitan areas. I maintain that highways are mostly about allowing easy decentralized growth around a city (suburbia).

Tons of people use highways to commute and travel (non constant, i.e. vacations and the like), unless you're differentiating between the interstates and "actual highways" for some reason.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gfarrell80 posted:

I'll concede all the other criticisms. But stagecoach a method of travel for the common man? Really? I suppose maybe.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/humanity-surprised-it-still-hasnt-figured-out-bett,36361/

Streetcars weren't any faster when they were around. In many cases, a bus line today will follow the replaced streetcar route almost exactly.

But most of the federal highway infrastructure is built precisely for long distance travel. You can maintain that belief all you want, it doesn't apply to the federal highway system.

Yes, stagecoach is what people took if they weren't well off and needed to travel long distances. They were slow and they were uncomfortable, but they were significantly cheaper than rail travel. This stuff is all straight up history, man!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

rudatron posted:

I already answered this point in a follow-up post. I do not believe in technocracy, nor that you can determine scientifically the "right" thing to do in every situation. What I DO believe is that all policy must be grounded in a concrete understanding of the human brain and its interaction with the outside world. So much of modern day policy is built around warped interoretations of how humans think, act and feel, which are not borne out by evidence, and the social harm it causes is an inevitable consequence. So much suffering has been caused by the simplest of misunderstandings. The most serious problem with human government is that people are alienated from one another and make decisions about other people's lives based on their own personal cognitive biases. My ideal form of government is one that has a complete understanding of each individual mind.and that carries out decisions not with a vague idea of what people want, but with a personal, individual understanding of what people want. Now, note that I say "ideal" and that I have no pretensions about how such a society would arise. Your lottery democracy fails because it assumes majoritarianism is sufficient to deal with alienation, which is total bs that ignores millennia of racial, ethnic, and religious persecution carried out by majorities against the Other.And experts sometimes have more utility than even thousands of people combined because they possess knowledge which lies outside the scope of most individual experience.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 3, 2014

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

A streetcar is just a bus that can't change its lane when it's in traffic.

Tons of people use highways to commute and travel (non constant, i.e. vacations and the like), unless you're differentiating between the interstates and "actual highways" for some reason.
Also trams are more comfortable to ride and quieter, but not being able to change lane isn't the problem. In aggregate, changing lanes just to speed you up actually slows down the entire system. You trade personal improvement for collective pain. The problem are cars will keep doing that, because individual drivers are selfish. If you had just transit, no cars, they'd be fine.

Trams are electric, so they're cheaper to run, but you obviously need the infrastructure. Ultra-capacitor buses seem really interesting to me, but transit-chat is for another thread.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Many of the differences between trams and buses come down to the willingness of a city to invest in one or the other (which is itself a political issue, naturally).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mischitary posted:

I'd reckon that there's indeed a great value to having bureaucracy be specialized to a large extent, but I also agree with the notion that our elected officials, who vote on many pieces of legislation of various different types are not necessarily better fit for the job than most. They are not trained to be a politician in the same way an electrician is trained, for instance, and in many occasions those representatives who are seated on various committees are there not because they have expertise in that subject, it's sometimes just politics.

I mostly reject the idea, in general, that some people in this topic have espoused, about the necessity of the "smart people" to be in positions of power because it is those same "smart people" that define what "smart" means. It's totally incestuous. Why does a guy who graduated from Harvard Law have more authority on, say, raising the Medicare retirement age than an ironworker? Especially when in most cases politicians don't exactly come to their own conclusions on a ton of subjects and instead rely on the "common wisdom" of the "smart people".

Expertise is a real thing and some problems are non-trivial.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I also think there is an important distinction between believing that some people are better qualified for being politicians than others, and thinking that the politicians we have are necessarily the best qualified for the role.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rudatron posted:

Also trams are more comfortable to ride and quieter, but not being able to change lane isn't the problem. In aggregate, changing lanes just to speed you up actually slows down the entire system. You trade personal improvement for collective pain. The problem are cars will keep doing that, because individual drivers are selfish. If you had just transit, no cars, they'd be fine.

Trams are electric, so they're cheaper to run, but you obviously need the infrastructure. Ultra-capacitor buses seem really interesting to me, but transit-chat is for another thread.

Trams being "more comfortable" and "cheaper to run" are things that weren't true back in the 1910s-1930s when trolleys and trams were being replaced with buses wholesale. It was basically the opposite with them, in part due to many of the streetcars in use being fairly old models and the new models on offer from the same companies that were already making buses weren't very appealing. Particularly in the US, gas and diesel were dirt cheap compared to getting an electricity supply; and no longer having to maintain your own private rails and power distribution was a real cost saver.

And trams back then would get into conflict with remaining horse drawn vehicles as well as actual cars back in their day, it's not a problem cars caused to them.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Mischitary posted:

This is kind of a major hole in the society needs to be run by experts idea,note it has the same problems with racism,sexism,etc. On that note racism and all that might need to be addressed in some way. Both from the more democracy side and the technocracy side.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

computer parts posted:

By and large they come from wealthier, more stable backgrounds than the public at large. Wealth is correlated to education.

So did nobles and aristocrats; in fact, the correlation is even stronger with nobility, since actors and athletes and small businessmen drag the average education level of modern politicians down.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004
A fine example of too much democracy: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/02/us/california-asks-should-doctors-face-drug-tests.html

Proposition 46 is on the ballot this fall in California, and does two things: (1) raises the maximum cap for malpractice damages, and (2) requires alcohol/drug testing of doctors, with required reporting positive tests to the medical board.

Is this a good law, or a bad one? Well, you could argue it either way, but it is supported by trial lawyers/consumer groups who are using their ability to appeal to the public to pass controversial legislation.

This is the end-result of a lot of democracy -- lowest common denominator crap. Legalize weed. Ban gay marriage. Drug test docs. Big, flashy ideas that are easy to grasp with little education or interest.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you despise the common person, as you clearly do, then democracy is not favorable to you. For myself, it's unfair to deprive the common person of political power, or create a system where their interests are not recognized.

The proposition system has problems, that are not a result of being 'too democratic' or whatever. It's direct voting, but it's not compulsory. It has the same issues as representative voting, such as the need for advertising just for exposure and to get the signatures necessary. Because of that expense, they're usually a case of one rich group vs. another rich group. If anything, it's not democratic enough.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

rudatron posted:

If you despise the common person, as you clearly do, then democracy is not favorable to you. For myself, it's unfair to deprive the common person of political power, or create a system where their interests are not recognized.

The proposition system has problems, that are not a result of being 'too democratic' or whatever. It's direct voting, but it's not compulsory. It has the same issues as representative voting, such as the need for advertising just for exposure and to get the signatures necessary. Because of that expense, they're usually a case of one rich group vs. another rich group. If anything, it's not democratic enough.

What are the benefits of direct democracy? Do you voters actually enable better social outcomes? Is California better for a cap on property tax, the three strikes law, or recalling Grey Davis and installing Arnold Schwarzenegger for no discernible reason?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That assumes that "direct democracy" and "voting on taxes" are one and the same.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

SedanChair posted:

That assumes that "direct democracy" and "voting on taxes" are one and the same.

Why would they not be?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Why would they not be?

Because citizens could use direct democracy to empanel a committee of randomly selected citizens to determine the appropriate rate of tax for the length of their appointed terms :colbert:

During their terms of office, appointees would enjoy the privilege of sage repose in America's Prytaneion, HoJo.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Slobjob Zizek posted:

What are the benefits of direct democracy? Do you voters actually enable better social outcomes? Is California better for a cap on property tax, the three strikes law, or recalling Grey Davis and installing Arnold Schwarzenegger for no discernible reason?

The winner in direct democracy is the side most able to boil their position down to the simplest and catchiest soundbite. See "death tax" for one of the most successful of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I think the common western notion that democracy is an inherently good thing is flawed at best. Most citizens of most nations, myself included, should not be trusted to run a Chipotle, much less a government. The average voter is just plain wrong (note that I'm not saying they disagree with positions I have, but are literally incorrect about material facts)on a factual level about a lot of issues and is easily swayed. I would rather have professionals who have made the law and governance their life study running things than the general public. This obviously can't swing too far in that direction or you risk oppression and disenfranchisement but electing career politicians and using them as representatives is a much better way of doing things than direct democracy. There's a big push right now in my state to allow the public to vote on various propositions that right now the legislature has control over and I think it's frankly a rotten idea. This isn't to say that the ideals of egalitarianism, equal representation and equality before the law should be thrown out the window--there need to be extensive protections in place for each citizen and group of citizens, but actual public influence on stuff is in a pretty good spot right now in the US.

Democracy is good to an extent but there need to be checks on its power like anything else. A recent good example of "too much democracy" would be the Iranian Revolution--a largely populist revolt that arguably left the Iranians worse off. That's a controversial, tangential opinion though so I'll leave it at that.

I wish I could edit in quotes easily but I would like to echo some of the pro democracy sentiments above me--what I said is all well and good in the theoretical realm but total representative situations can lead to corruption (see 17th amendment to the US constitution) and I think the best solution would be sort of flexible in apportioning power in different situations. Theoretically elected representatives are elected representatives because they're good at what they do but they are often elected because of their access to funds. A system where people democratically decide who will undemocratically rule them is sort of what I'm saying although that phrasing is awful.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 5, 2014

• Locked thread