Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The New York Young'ns featuring Henrik Lundqvist are proud to select, from Massachusetts...
Chris "Playoffs" Kreider

He's young, he's damned good (and better in the post-season). He's big, his Corsi and QoC show that he'd be a valuable asset on any line, and his grit and sandpaper style of play will make him the consummate winger for Zibanejad as they both grow into superstar players.

Sure he takes some lovely penalties (when he takes any at all), but he's got plenty of time to iron that poo poo out of his game as he spends the next two years on an absolute sweetheart of a deal.

Palat - Stepan -
Kreider - Zibanejad -
---
---
- Green
-
-
King Henry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
You're missing a defense

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

tofes posted:

You're missing a defense

And a legitimate first line player

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

You're missing a defense

It's coming. Next pick is a defenseman for sure, really Mike Green was next to Alzner for most of the last season, so anyone relatively solid in his own end can hold the fort while he's off roving. The rest of the top 9 I can fill out with poor (short) contracts.

e: Also, to my credit, I didn't take Stepan, Palat, or Lundqvist. It was a rough start and with what was left on the board I figured building a run and gun potential team would be fun. Kind of like a bizarro Rangers that Hank will drag to the playoffs sometimes.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Well, if Jordan7hm comes back, he can fix that tonight. I'm ready to go when he is.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's coming. Next pick is a defenseman for sure, really Mike Green was next to Alzner for most of the last season, so anyone relatively solid in his own end can hold the fort while he's off roving. The rest of the top 9 I can fill out with poor (short) contracts.

e: Also, to my credit, I didn't take Stepan, Palat, or Lundqvist. It was a rough start and with what was left on the board I figured building a run and gun potential team would be fun. Kind of like an bizarro Rangers that Hank will drag to the playoffs sometimes.

Man, Zodjacky really hosed you over with those first three picks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mennoknight posted:

Someone do that biggest risers in the two drafts thing again plz. Pretty sure I was mocked for picking Brodie in the 8th or 9th last year then he was all like oh gently caress dudes i am great

I'm pretty sure that didn't actually happen (the mocking) and I wanted to take Brodie last time around but didn't get to him in time.

Oh and lol at thinking a 24 year old defenseman who put up 31 points and good possession stats on a lousy team would keep falling.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Alrighty, I'll catch you dudes in the morning (it's been a long week and I intend to sleep like I've earned it).

(Please don't consensus pick me before like 10AM EST if it gets to that point) Dunno if you folks do that or if sleeping is accounted for after the shift to 4 hour pick windows.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Is he asleep? Quick, give him Engelland.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stickarts posted:

Is he asleep? Quick, give him Engelland.

I'll wake up tomorrow with Chris Pronger and Marc Savard

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm taking Toffoli more in an hour

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Colorado takes Torey Krug and Cam Atkinson.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm taking Toffoli more in an hour

Noooooo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Colorado takes Torey Krug and Cam Atkinson.

Krug's a solid player. I was considering taking him with my next pick if he fell back down to me. He gets a ton of offensive zone starts so I dunno how reliable a two-way guy he is but he's definitely a guy that can put up a lot of points for a team and QB a powerplay, and that has definite value.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

He's a good partner for Jones.

ones

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress defense get forwards. I was hoping to take Brodie here. :(

Chicago needs more bling. We take Justin Williams to round out the top 2 lines. He's only 32 on a good contract, he scores at a good rate although 2013/14 was a down year, and he's been healthy the last three seasons so that concern is gone. And he won a Conn Smythe for being awesome so maybe he can do it again. (e: it's the last year of his deal, I expect he'll get a salary bump, but it gives us flexibility either way)

LA has one great defenseman and 5 good guys. I'm gonna have to go with that model. I don't have a goalie that's better than your goalie though. Hopefully one falls to me next round.

About Toffoli: third highest P/60 on LA (1.91). Great possession numbers. Really solid pedigree going back to junior and some strong minor pro results in his time with Manchester. Has been sheltered in LA. Though he's a natural center for Chicago he'll probably play on the wing, shifting into the center spot if needed due to injury or future picks I make. And he's a former 67 so I like him automatically. Gonna draft Shane Prince too just you wait.

e: Projected Lines

Hossa - Crosby - Toffoli (at least to start the year)
Ladd - Koivu - Williams

Chara

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 2, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hjalmersson.
Will do details in the morning

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hjalmersson.
Will do details in the morning

fu

Not that I expected him to keep dropping much longer, but I don't see any reason why he dropped other than penalizing good players for being on a good team, which is dumb and also the opposite of what some people are doing.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

gently caress defense get forwards. I was hoping to take Brodie here. :(

Chicago needs more bling. We take Justin Williams to round out the top 2 lines. He's only 32 on a good contract, he scores at a good rate although 2013/14 was a down year, and he's been healthy the last three seasons so that concern is gone. And he won a Conn Smythe for being awesome so maybe he can do it again. (e: it's the last year of his deal, I expect he'll get a salary bump, but it gives us flexibility either way)

LA has one great defenseman and 5 good guys. I'm gonna have to go with that model. I don't have a goalie that's better than your goalie though. Hopefully one falls to me next round.

About Toffoli: third highest P/60 on LA (1.91). Great possession numbers. Really solid pedigree going back to junior and some strong minor pro results in his time with Manchester. Has been sheltered in LA. Though he's a natural center for Chicago he'll probably play on the wing, shifting into the center spot if needed due to injury or future picks I make. And he's a former 67 so I like him automatically. Gonna draft Shane Prince too just you wait.

Toffoli was on my list, great player. Glad I took Brodie when I did, I almost decided to wait until next round for him.

edit: Because I'm crazy about centers I'm going to take Grabovski

tofes fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 2, 2014

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tofes posted:

Toffoli was on my list, great player. Glad I took Brodie when I did, I almost decided to wait until next round for him.

Cool but make your pick.

Toffoli is poo poo sorry behind the net told you otherwise.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Danny LaFever posted:

Cool but make your pick.

Toffoli is poo poo sorry behind the net told you otherwise.

Sorry I was thinking but I picked now stop being mean to me :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tofes posted:

edit: Because I'm crazy about centers I'm going to take Grabovski

Sigh yeah that's whom I would have chosen over Plex if I didn't brainfart

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Habibi posted:

Sigh yeah that's whom I would have chosen over Plex if I didn't brainfart

Yeah, I like the kind of flexibility having Stamkos, Backes, and Grabo gives me because they can all play wing if need be.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Grabo is a good pick. (i actually thought he was taken)

I'm going back to defense. I feel I need to have an Oiler and I think this dude is underrated. Jeff Petry

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Danny LaFever posted:

Grabo is a good pick. (i actually thought he was taken)

I'm going back to defense. I feel I need to have an Oiler and I think this dude is underrated. Jeff Petry

jeff petry is probably really good but no one is gonna know for sure until he gets the gently caress off the oilers

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the talent deficit posted:

jeff petry is probably really good but no one is gonna know for sure until he gets the gently caress off the oilers

Well this Oilers is a bit better then the real one.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So:

JvR - Tavares - Atkinson
- Filppula -

Krug - Jones

Bishop

I feel good about this, so far.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Is it just me, or is this going faster this year? Maybe I only feel that because I am picking 20th, rather than 2nd, so my picks aren't two quick back-to-back picks before waiting another five days.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I should be editing my paper that's due at noon, but instead, I want to look at the teams from the first six rounds.

Tavares/JVR/Jones/Filppula/Bishop/Krug
Crosby/Chara/M. Koivu/Hossa/Ladd/Toffoli
Lundqvist/Palat/Stepan/Green/Zibanejad/Kreider
Stamkos/Yandle/Backes/Kronwall/Zuccarello/Brodie
Karlsson/Spezza/Shattenkirk/Nielson/Ehrhoff/B. Richards
Malkin/Voracek/Giordano/Stralman/Hagelin/Jagr
Ovechkin/Zetterberg/Kesler/Campbell/Hamhuis/MacArthur
Giroux/Datsyuk/Little/Perron/Trouba/Hamonic
Toews/Bobrovsky/Byfuglien/Barrie/Eriksson/Myers
Subban/Parise/Carter/Fowler/Marchand/Scheifele
Seguin/Schneider/Josi/Steen/Gallagher/M. Staal
Kopitar/Neal/J. Staal/Gologoski/Saad/Braun
Hall/Krejci/Hamilton/Henrique/Maata/ C. Smith
Kane/Price/Sharp/Okposo/Wisniewski/E. Johnson
Doughty/E. Staal/Skinner/Nisknanen/Dubinsky/R. Smith
Suter/Stastny/Hanzal/Pominville/Gormley/Seidenberg
MacKinnon/O'Reilly/Turris/Faulk/Enstrom/Niederreiter
Rask/Eberle/Vanek/Galchenyuk/Gaborik/Bouwmeester
Getzlaf/Pavelski/Oshie/Hertl/Markov/Ekblad
Weber/Nugent-Hopkins/Vlasic/Nash/Semin/Huberdeau
Backstrom/Ekman-Larsson/Simmonds/Carlson/Iginla/Hodgson
Pietrangelo/McDonagh/Tarasenko/Kadri/Hornqvist/Kuznetsov
Keith/Thornton/Voynov/Burns/Yakupov/D. Sedin
Kessel/Hedman/Lindholm/Wheeler/Drouin/Plekanec
Bergeron/Pacioretty/Seabrook/Muzzin/Nichushkin/Tatar
Couture/Letang/St. Louis/Granlund/Brodin/Moulson
Marleau/Schwartz/Kunitz/Murray/B. Schenn/Hartnell
Benn/Landeskog/E. Kane/Ryan/Barkov/Couturier
Perry/H. Sedin/Quick/Phaneuf/Gardiner/Zajac
Duchene/Johansen/Lucic/Nyquist/Spurgeon/Greene

I was going to pick my favourite five teams (myself not included), but I have like seven or eight that I really like.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Grabo is a great pickup at this point. Also, gently caress Nonis forever.

E: there are some nice win now and win later teams, but it's hard to argue with that Crosby, Chara and Co. team right now.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JoelJoel posted:

Grabo is a great pickup at this point. Also, gently caress Nonis forever.

E: there are some nice win now and win later teams, but it's hard to argue with that Crosby, Chara and Co. team right now.

It was great until he picked Tyler Toffoli

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Let's talk about Hjalmarsson.
So hey, he's a young (in defence years) guy who can slot in next to Green for the time being and eat up some tough minutes. Also he's on a nice long contract.
Crazy good Corsi (QoC saying he's eating minutes against the best other teams can offer), he does a good job being a shutdown D who can keep the puck out of his own end. Just the kind of guy I want rolling around behind Mike Green (or as a 2nd pair anchor if a better option comes around).

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm bored but refuse to get out of bed so:

Worst teams IMO

Giroux/Datsyuk/Little/Perron/Trouba/Hamonic - no wingers besides Perron, Trouba is in for a sophomore slump, Hamonic sucks.
Seguin/Schneider/Josi/Steen/Gallagher/M. Staal - Seguin will never be the #1 guy on a good team, Steen won't have that season again and Staal is consistently getting worse.
MacKinnon/O'Reilly/Turris/Faulk/Enstrom/Niederreiter - young and small, may be good one day but would get treated like garbage immediately
Pietrangelo/McDonagh/Tarasenko/Kadri/Hornqvist/Kuznetsov - amazing top d pair but those forwards are so enigmatic, streaky and offensive. Could be great, probably would be a disaster.

Best teams

Getzlaf/Pavelski/Oshie/Hertl/Markov/Ekblad - great two way forwards, PP quarterback and getting Ekblad in the 6th is gross. He'll be the next Pronger and soon.
Rask/Eberle/Vanek/Galchenyuk/Gaborik/Bouwmeester - Rask in the first is laughable, but you really made up for it with good picks the rest of the way
Kane/Price/Sharp/Okposo/Wisniewski/E. Johnson - a lot of firepower on this team and there's no better goalie than Price to bail them out when needed
Subban/Parise/Carter/Fowler/Marchand/Scheifele - every pick you made was good. Kudos.
Ovechkin/Zetterberg/Kesler/Campbell/Hamhuis/MacArthur - verv stinks and so does picking Ovie over some guys that were left but he got great value out of those last three picks
Crosby/Chara/M. Koivu/Hossa/Ladd/Toffoli - this team's window for winning is maybe a year or two if they're lucky but they'll be pretty god damned tough to beat in that time.

Seems like there's a lot more parity, maybe because we haven't gone that far, because I'm sure some of the teams I think are good are probably on people's shitlists and vice versa.

As for my team, (Perry/H. Sedin/Quick/Phaneuf/Gardiner/Zajac) I got burned a bit by picking Henrik too early (although he wouldn't have fallen to me at #89) in an attempt to get Daniel in the 7th round, but I'm not too worried about one of the best passers in the game feeding one of the best scorers in the game in Perry. Gardiner is already great and poised to bust out, Quick is Quick, and Zajac in the 6th seems like good value to me. I think I have a team that's a playoff lock but I'll have to do some good work in later rounds to make it a contender.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 2, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drat it, Grabo would have maximized my enigma quotient. I guess I can still pick up Radulov in the 25th round or something.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

eXXon posted:

drat it, Grabo would have maximized my enigma quotient. I guess I can still pick up Radulov in the 25th round or something.

Um, I don't think you can.

e: and if you can I retroactively change my last pick to Ilya.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure Radulov is still under contract with Nashville, Kovalchuk's contract was voided by the Devils.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JoelJoel posted:

Um, I don't think you can.

e: and if you can I retroactively change my last pick to Ilya.

I'm not exactly clear on whether Radulov burning the last year of his ELC made him a UFA or not. But either way, his situation is completely different from Kovalchuk's.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

wiki posted:

On June 6, 2012, the Nashville Predators announced that they would not be extending Radulov's contract, thus making him an unrestricted free agent.

I was under the impression that his rights were no longer owned. Someone correct me and fix the wiki.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Radulov's rights are not owned by Nashville anymore. He fulfilled the terms of his RFA contract when he came back and that was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

o ok

• Locked thread