Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
My mother in law posted this huge rant about abortion, euthanasia, the Judeo-Christian values ARE COUNTRY was based on, and today's youth relying on the government.

She also had a full paragraph about how she worked hard for everything in life and didn't depend on the government or anyone else, but she also described how her parents and her (public school & college) education helped her succeed.

boomers.txt? Or cognitivedissonance.txt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

boomers.txt? Or cognitivedissonance.txt?

...Yes?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

She also had a full paragraph about how she worked hard for everything in life and didn't depend on the government or anyone else, but she also described how her parents and her (public school & college) education helped her succeed.

Post this:

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

DarkHorse posted:

These questions always seem to use "÷" where anyone doing higher-level math will just use a division bar to separate the numerator and denominator so you don't have that ambiguity. I can't remember the last time I unironically used the division symbol. But yeah, it's all about being clickbait so people post comments, and then they sell the access all those accounts granted by posting for money.

This. Generally people think of math as concrete system of instructions, but it is possible to still write something out in an ambiguous way. This slate article discusses some of these types of division problems to a good level of detail and the general take away is that the problems are written poorly.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"48÷2(9+3)" isn't 288 or 2, it's just loving bad notation. It is literally impossible to say what the "correct" answer is. It's like trying to deduce meaning from the sentence "I hat through potato". Once you start using parentheses you have to use them to FULLY clarify the meaning. You can't just stop halfway, arbitrarily decide one interpretation is correct and laugh at anyone who gets it "wrong". And, as was mentioned above, nobody doing math seriously would ever use a division sign.

Your friend doesn't understand math. That's fine, most people don't.

e: Basically the thing is, yeah, ok, the order of operations is "FOIL", factor, over, increase, less, (that was how I was taught it in 9th grade). So if you use the idea that multiplication "comes before" division, sure, it's 2. But multiplication and division are the SAME THING. 48÷24 is just 48*(1/24). The idea of division and multiplication or addition and subtraction being in any way different from each other is a shorthand that was made up to make learning rudimentary functions easier for children. Maybe it would be better to teach fractions and negative numbers before division or subtraction.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 2, 2014

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
So what you're saying is everyone should learn Common Core.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Plom Bar posted:

So what you're saying is everyone should learn Common Core.

There's apparently a need for it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, that's the group I really meant. Doctors and nurses that I've met have been pretty decent, but the admin stuff I hear about is constantly sketchy to me.

Is there any profession where this is not the case?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The problem with PEMDAS, BEDMAS, whatever that gets those clickbait equations working so well is the implication that multiplication (or division) comes first just because they came first in the mnemonic, same with addition coming first just because it comes first in the mnemonic, when it's rather the case that multiplication/division and addition/subtraction are on the same "tier" and you're supposed to do it left-to-right.

On top of the fact that those clickbait equations use the division sign and an unsigned parenthesis/quantity sometimes just to really throw people off even if it's not really something that would ever be used regularly. It's the Facebook equivalent of starting a 0.999~ = 1 thread in a forum.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

She could be right. When you are down to only additions and subtractions, you essentially just work left to right.

No, I mean she took -3+3 to be -(3+3)=-6, rather than 0.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Always nice to get some old fashioned gold from my cousin:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mellow Seas posted:

"48÷2(9+3)" isn't 288 or 2, it's just loving bad notation. It is literally impossible to say what the "correct" answer is. It's like trying to deduce meaning from the sentence "I hat through potato". Once you start using parentheses you have to use them to FULLY clarify the meaning. You can't just stop halfway, arbitrarily decide one interpretation is correct and laugh at anyone who gets it "wrong". And, as was mentioned above, nobody doing math seriously would ever use a division sign.

Your friend doesn't understand math. That's fine, most people don't.

e: Basically the thing is, yeah, ok, the order of operations is "FOIL", factor, over, increase, less, (that was how I was taught it in 9th grade). So if you use the idea that multiplication "comes before" division, sure, it's 2. But multiplication and division are the SAME THING. 48÷24 is just 48*(1/24). The idea of division and multiplication or addition and subtraction being in any way different from each other is a shorthand that was made up to make learning rudimentary functions easier for children. Maybe it would be better to teach fractions and negative numbers before division or subtraction.

No, my friend thought that 3+3x3-3+3 = 6. Why? Because 3+9-(3+3). Because she doesn't know how to do arithmetic. There is nothing ambiguous there if you know the order of calculation. She is stupid, not just because she doesn't know how to do this, but because she shut down conversation when people called her out on it, then deleted the post.

seiferguy posted:

I wish God would save them from jpeg artifacts, Jesus Christ!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

If you already defeated him, why have I got to do anything?

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

seiferguy posted:

What happens when someone who doesn't believe opens the bible and laughs at it?

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

gatesealer posted:

What happens when someone who doesn't believe opens the bible and laughs at it?

The devil gets a huge boner.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sir Rolo posted:

That's hot.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The devil's been defeated, can I stay a bored atheist who thinks Jesus was a great teacher now?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

SedanChair posted:

The devil's been defeated, can I stay a bored atheist who thinks Jesus was a great teacher now?

If Jesus came back today, he'd have SO MANY tables to flip.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I hate myself. I hate them for making it, I hate you for making me do it, but most of all I hate myself. I should have walked away, just ignored this poo poo, but I can't. Its like I've got this sick psychotic urge that cannot be denied, or ignored, or put off. It just makes me do it, each time. That urge has become a part of me. It draws me back to the suffering. I hate myself for the suffering, and I think I deserve to suffer for it. So the whole wretched cycle continues.

This week in LL101!

White people whining about the police.

Or worse yet, a man getting his heart ripped out and bursting into flames. Or eating monkeys.

Generic "Strawman liberals sure do these things" #37814

More "Why can't we have a theocracy like all the other countries!!??"

"Now let me tell you how I showed everyone Obama WAS a terrorist, and everyone applauded".

WHY WON'T HE START WORLD WAR 3!!!

More Palin worship!

Not included - the part where you locked these guys in a box for decades, killed their children, wouldn't let them get any food or water, and punished any attempts to escape.

Special guest writer leJackal.

Women 10 years ago - oh, sorry, I mean "these days".

A new low in LL101's attempt to form a coherent argument.

Yes, because when you use tax money to help the poor, the only option is to use the tax money OF the poor.

"women don't know whats good for them" - a man.

"Posting on the internet is so stupid" - A thing someone posted on the internet.

Its like XKCD if Randall Munroe was absolutely clueless about everything, but still as smug.

"The Obama's are trashy and INSULTING the office. HOW DARE THEY!"

"The Obama's are living like TYRANTS! HOW DARE THEY!"

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 2, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

Special guest writer leJackal.

The resemblance is uncanny, isn't it?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Special guest writer LeJackal.

I don't understand how that works, this isn't my opinion at all. Women have the right to control their bodies and their lives, so the technology to secure both are vital to the vigorous protection of those rights.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just like how women are supposedly being made equal by using a cutsey pink gun instead of just a gun. Because, you know, there's no social connotations in that at all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just like how women are supposedly being made equal by using a cutsey pink gun instead of just a gun. Because, you know, there's no social connotations in that at all.

One with no hammer, apparently. I don't really know how guns work outside of video games, but I thought revolvers worked by hitting the bullet with the hammer?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LeJackal posted:

I don't understand how that works, this isn't my opinion at all. Women have the right to control their bodies and their lives, so the technology to secure both are vital to the vigorous protection of those rights.

That is basically the point of that yes.

Its still so dumb.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Soonmot posted:

One with no hammer, apparently. I don't really know how guns work outside of video games, but I thought revolvers worked by hitting the bullet with the hammer?

Its a shrouded hammer - still there but covered so it won't snag on clothes. Its designed for concealed carry.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is basically the point of that yes.

Its still so dumb.

I still don't get why its supposedly a guest post by me. Is it because I think its good that women can use guns to defend themselves?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LeJackal posted:

I still don't get why its supposedly a guest post by me. Is it because I think its good that women can use guns to defend themselves?

Its trying to ram guns into any issue whether or not its really that important to the issue.

Which is a thing you do.

That is the joke.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, because when you use tax money to help the poor, the only option is to use the tax money OF the poor.

But I thought the conservative line was that poor people don't pay taxes.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's not an email, but...

I've been watching a lot of Oculus Rift videos and I wanted to see if any studies had been done on whether virtual reality can cause body dissociation, so I looked it up. Third Google result was this lovely site.

EducateYourself/Chemtrails posted:

Air elemental beings identified by the ancient Greeks (& Paracelsus) as Sylphs are stimulated and energized by orgone generators and will literally vacumn up and transmute chemtrails into harmless substances. I realize this is hard to believe by the average person who is unaware of these etheric beings, but the evidence can be seen right over your head if you know what to look for

EducateYourself/Mind Control posted:

The plans to create a mind controlled workers society have been in place for a long time. The current technology grew out of experiments that the Nazis started before World War II and intensified during the time of the Nazi concentration camps when an unlimited supply of children and adults were available for experimentation. We've heard about the inhumane medical experiments performed on concentration camp prisoners, but no word was ever mentioned by the media and the TV documentaries of the mind control experiments. That was not to be divulged to the American public.

EducateYourself/Prevent Alien/Demonic Attacks posted:

We, Michael and Stephanie Relfe, discovered the following through our own experience. For background information, please read "The Mars Records", Books 1 and 2 which are free to download from https://www.themarsrecords.com. In those books you will learn how Michael was abducted once a month for a number of years. Later, in July 2001 Stephanie was abducted by reptilians when she was pregnant. They stole our two month old pre-term daughter.

EducateYourself/U.S. Concentration Camps posted:

It was a well kept secret but I had been chosen as mediator between sides between our country and the Overtakers. The schools were being organized at this moment to march the children to government camps and take them away from their parents. I managed to sneak up to the 20th street school where my youngest son was in 1st grade. I spotted him and grabbed him by the arm and we rushed down the street together. He said, "I've been calling you all day, hoping you'd come and get me."

EducateYourself/Forbidden Cures posted:

Not surprisingly, Flexner 'found' that any discipline that didn't use drugs to help cure the patient was tantamount to quackery and charlatanism. Medical schools that offered courses in bioelectric Medicine, Homeopathy or Eastern Medicine, for example, were told to either drop these courses from their curriculum or lose their accreditation and underwriting support. A few schools resisted for a time, but eventually most schools cooperated (or were closed down). A similar scenario was played out in Canada. It was attempted in England against Homeopathy, but it failed due to the personal intervention of the Royal Family who had received much relief and healing at the hands of Homeopathic healers in the 19th century. By the way, the AMA was found guilty of conspiracy against chiropractors in 1987 by a federal judge and fined a couple of million dollars. Here in America, a relentless campaign of misinformation, fraud, deception, and suppression of alternative therapies and healers has been in place for the better part of this century in order to keep highly effective alternative therapies from reaching any significant plateau of public awareness. Control is exerted through "news items" and propaganda from pro-establishment organizations like The American Medical Association, The American Cancer Society, The Diabetes Foundation, etc.; local medical boards; and government agencies like the FDA, The National Institute of Health (NIH), and The National Cancer Institute (NCI), The National Academy of Science, etc. with the full cooperation of main-stream media of course .

It's a loving hotbed of conspiracy insanity.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

I hope that crazily true things are acceptable!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

I hope that crazily true things are acceptable!

Seeing Sullivan on 'quotable liberals' is pretty cute.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Fulchrum posted:

Not included - the part where you locked these guys in a box for decades, killed their children, wouldn't let them get any food or water, and punished any attempts to escape.

Also not included - the "lunatics" are teenagers with bb guns and you have that belt-fed minigun Jesse Ventura used in Predator.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Also not included - the "lunatics" are teenagers with bb guns and you have that belt-fed minigun Jesse Ventura used in Predator.

Also you're living in their yard.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That isn't even true as far as I am aware. Kings didn't mandate how long a subject worked.

Because it didn't really matter how long they worked.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
Finally I have something worth sharing:

What are these people smoking?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Pseudo-God posted:

Finally I have something worth sharing:

What are these people smoking?

Ignoring the fact that, you know, Europeans brought about chattel slavery as cheap labor for their plantations.

But of course the people who created that macro are called Political Correctness Must Die, so it's an almost guaranteed that they're angry they can't call people racial slurs in public anymore. :C

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Blarghalt posted:

But of course the people who created that macro are called Political Correctness Must Die, so it's an almost guaranteed that they're angry they can't call people racial slurs in public anymore. :C

Except you can. There's just going to be social and sometimes economic backlash. The First Amendment protects your right to express your racist views in public without government interference, doesn't it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Except you can. There's just going to be social and sometimes economic backlash. The First Amendment protects your right to express your racist views in public without government interference, doesn't it?

Basically yeah, but American's really, really do not understand what the first actually means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sir Rolo posted: