Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I was trying to remember the stupid name my middle school gave for the class instead of home ec. and couldn't, but remembered this was 15-16 years ago for me. I do remember the class was mostly boys and we were in it for the mid-morning food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
reserve the vodka to sterilize the cuts on your lips, wait for the alcohol to go directly into your bloodstream, and pass out as your house burns down in a string-related fire #lifehack

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Meatwave posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy some fine glass shards with my vodka. Delicious.

There are safe ways to make glasses out of bottles, I'm just not sure that's one of them. My main objection would be that if you're going to go through the hassle of making a glass out of a bottle, it's usually because it's a really nice bottle. Those glasses just look like poo poo.

im pooping! posted:

I was trying to remember the stupid name my middle school gave for the class instead of home ec. and couldn't, but remembered this was 15-16 years ago for me. I do remember the class was mostly boys and we were in it for the mid-morning food.

You know, I could see some teacher now trying to be all "hip to what the kids are into" and naming their class "Life Hacks 101." Complete with I Can Haz Cheeseburger jokes.

Karma Monkey has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Aug 2, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Karma Monkey posted:

I like that name a lot better than Home Ec. Speaking of cooking and making stuff...

Ok, who's done this one and how did it turn out?

Isn't this just cake?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Leper Residue posted:

Isn't this just cake?

From what I've learned Americans love their bread extremely sweet and sugary.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

There are safe ways to make glasses out of bottles, I'm just not sure that's one of them. My main objection would be that if you're going to go through the hassle of making a glass out of a bottle, it's usually because it's a really nice bottle. Those glasses just look like poo poo.

You know, I could see some teacher now trying to be all "hip to what the kids are into" and naming their class "Life Hacks 101." Complete with I Can Haz Cheeseburger jokes.

What thread was it where a goon took some kind of media communications class? It turned out to have a section on memes and the teacher would put MLP references in the module booklet :cripes:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just today a few people on my Facebook are posting a "little-known lifehack" of punching in your ATM PIN backwards, which "dispatches police to the banking machine if you're being robbed." I have visions of robbery victims giving snarky remarks to a robber while they punch in their PIN backwards with a :smug: look on their face then getting shot.

Gaunab posted:

If you're losing an argument online, just say you're trolling.

As a corollary- if you disagree with something that someone says online just tell them that they're trolling!

melon cat has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Aug 2, 2014

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

melon cat posted:

Just today a few people on my Facebook are posting a "little-known lifehack" of punching in your ATM PIN backwards, which "dispatches police to the banking machine if you're being robbed." I have visions of robbery victims giving snarky remarks to a robber while they punch in their PIN backwards with a :smug: look on their face then getting shot.

What if my pin is palindromic? :ohdear:

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.
If your pin number is inspired by writing BOOB on a calculator then chances are good that you're not worth robbing to begin with.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

This is probably some misunderstanding due to some cursory knowledge of security systems with built in duress codes. However, they are specifically programmed for this and why the gently caress would anyone keep this "little-known" or not charge their customers a separate charge for the service? The bank would need to pay for alarm monitoring to have somewhere to send the duress codes and be monitored. Do people think police just automatically monitor thousands of alarm points (ATMs) for no charge or that a company like ADT will do it out of the kindness of their hearts? poo poo's costly, man.

Of course, this is the same facebook where grandma is convinced Obama is literally a muslim sleeper-agent bent on destroying america, taking out guns, and is either the smartest most evil man in existence or the dumbest mother fucker ever depending on the events that require it. Also chem-trails.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
Lifehack: Let the bar close your tab for you so you can just walk out. Then get mad when they give themselves a 50% tip because you were a lazy gently caress.

My friends are idiots. Prob why we're all friends.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Isn't this just cake?

Ice cream (proper ice cream, anyway) is made with milk and cream, eggs, sugar and whatever flavoring, and if you add flour to it, yes, I'd say you have cake batter.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Karma Monkey posted:

This does not seem like a good idea...

It is a simple but remember safety's number one priority:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7vT8kdpfNI

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sagebrush posted:

Ice cream (proper ice cream, anyway) is made with milk and cream, eggs, sugar and whatever flavoring, and if you add flour to it, yes, I'd say you have cake batter.

Yes, and self-rising flour has baking powder in it, not yeast, so you'd definitely get cake rather than bread. Or maybe they were thinking of tea breads like banana bread or pumpkin bread?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Desperado Bones posted:

From what I've learned Americans love their bread extremely sweet and sugary.

It's a bitch to find regular sliced sandwich bread at the supermarket that isn't both those things. It's kind of awful. You check the ingredients list and HFCS is number 1 or 2.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Pneub posted:

If you get a bottle cutter, you can actually get really clean cuts with just boiling water and cold tap water.

Amazon lists bottle cutters for under $20.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ Wasn't Ron Popeil selling something like this on TV in the 70s? Edit: YES! "THE GREATEST GIFT YOU WILL EVER GIVE!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhrHnhMGWEc

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, and self-rising flour has baking powder in it, not yeast, so you'd definitely get cake rather than bread. Or maybe they were thinking of tea breads like banana bread or pumpkin bread?
Yea, that's all I can figure. IMO, it's a dumb waste of ice cream though.

Pneub posted:

That guy annoys me so much I can never watch the whole video. You guys do know that hippies were making glasses out of bottles a few decades ago, right? Bottle glasses = stoner. Well, alcoholic stoner, in some cases, I guess.

Ooh, I love this one. Are you OCD about static? STAB YOURSELF.

Karma Monkey has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Aug 2, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Some of those are actually pretty useful.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
my mom tried that soda bottle sprinkler and it was hilarious but because she's a tight cow and it was free she refused to stop using it

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Is the point of some of those to just make you appear as white trash as possible because if so mission accomplished.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
I'm gonna legit do the $5 thing. If only I hadn't spent my last fiver on slippers for the couch...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Lotish posted:

It's a bitch to find regular sliced sandwich bread at the supermarket that isn't both those things. It's kind of awful. You check the ingredients list and HFCS is number 1 or 2.

My American cousins say this is because of the big corn lobby, but I find this unbelievable. Is big corn a real thing?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lenoon posted:

My American cousins say this is because of the big corn lobby, but I find this unbelievable. Is big corn a real thing?

Pretty much, yeah. The main lobby is called the Corn Refiners Association, and they do poo poo like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ-ByUx552s

The lobbying is mostly about HFCF and corn ethanol. The industry gets some crazy super loving good subsidies, but this really isn't the thread for that discussion.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

lenoon posted:

It is, but manufacturers also get a tax break if they include a certain percentage of HFCS in their products. Basically, the US government wants everything to have corn in it for some unfathomable reason.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If you don't interrupt people, they will continue to talk! Amazing!

Also, any "hack" involving turning alcoholic drink containers into other things just makes you look more and more like and alcoholic.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

C.P.A.N. posted:

I'm gonna legit do the $5 thing. If only I hadn't spent my last fiver on slippers for the couch...
I did try the $5 thing. It didn't take too long before I'd saved up enough to buy a decent DSLR. I'm not great at setting them aside now, but I use my stash as vacation mad money, for tips and sundries.

The worst was when I'd get cash back on my debit card and the checkout machine spat out my $30 in fives. :doh:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

kazil posted:

Also, any "hack" involving turning alcoholic drink containers into other things just makes you look more and more like and alcoholic.

Well anytime something is described as both "unique" and "classy," it's a red flag. Unique is fine, but it's pretty rare these days that "classy" is used accurately or un-ironically.

Some examples I have after searching "classy life hack"...

Classy bug control:

Classy flipflop storage:

Classy I don't know wtf flipflops:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

There's a nice hack for you:

Haven't had a headache all week? Click this video and let the droning hum in the background give you a loving instant migraine!

lenoon posted:

Yes. Corn is in nearly every food product we buy over here. Corn subsidies are big loving business, especially in the Midwest. Good luck finding a loaf of bread in a regular supermarket that doesn't have HFCS in it.

Corn is in our motor vehicle fuel.

gently caress the Illuminati, Lizard Men, or whatever giant fuckoff conspiracy theory you might believe in--Big Corn is real and it's literally found its way into 99% of American homes.

edit: grammar

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Aug 3, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

lenoon posted:

You'll find that sugar cane and sugar beets are not big crops in the US. And who wants to pay a foreigner for their sugar?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There's a nice hack for you:

Haven't had a headache all week? Click this video and let the droning hum in the background give you a loving instant migraine!

Yes. Corn is in nearly every food product we buy over here. Corn subsidies are big loving business, especially in the Midwest. Good luck finding a loaf of bread in a regular supermarket that doesn't have HFCS in it.

Corn is in our motor vehicle fuel.

gently caress the Illuminati, Lizard Men, or whatever giant fuckoff conspiracy theory you might believe in--Big Corn is real and it's literally found its way into 99% of American homes.

edit: grammar

I like popcorn and corn on the cob and corn bread and oh God I'm indoctrinated

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is the loaf of bread I bought at a regular grocery store last night. None of the supermarkets I've ever been in don't have this brand that I've noticed. :confused:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Squallege posted:

I like popcorn and corn on the cob and corn bread and oh God I'm indoctrinated

Put the foil from the Jiffy Pop container on your head to shield you from CORN RAYS and pray they don't find you!

edit:

Jaramin posted:

This is the loaf of bread I bought at a regular grocery store last night. None of the supermarkets I've ever been in don't have this brand that I've noticed. :confused:

Sara Lee makes a "45 Calories and Wonderful!" or somesuch line that I can find if I do some driving, but most places around here don't have the one you linked. It's really tough to get away from HFCS in the Corn Belt.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 00:33 on Aug 3, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Lifehack: Don't want bread with HFCS in it? Buy a brand of bread that doesn't have HFCS in it!

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Karma Monkey posted:

This is the world we live in now that high schools don't make everyone take Home Ec. :colbert:

You mean Family & Consumer Science! :eng101:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jaramin posted:

The fact that the bread has to specify it doesn't have any HFCS in it is kind of telling though

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

You'll find that sugar cane and sugar beets are not big crops in the US. And who wants to pay a foreigner for their sugar?

They're not big crops anymore precisely because of the big corn subsidies. Sugar cane used to be a huge cash crop locally in the early 20th century, but they couldn't compete with federally subsidized corn.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Man, now I want some sugar cane to chew on.

Lifehack: tired of HFC? destroy the corn lobby and bring back sugar cane and sugar beets

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Gonna try this the next time I find myself going to a zoo, if it works that's :3: as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Man, now I want some sugar cane to chew on.

Lifehack: tired of HFC? destroy the corn lobby and bring back sugar cane and sugar beets

NIMBY. Sugar beet factories smell like a charming combination of roasted peanut butter and dog poo poo. Also the truckers never tarp, so those fuckers are falling out all over the place. Sugar beet the size of a softball bombing down the freeway into my window? gently caress that.