Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

W.T. Fits posted:

So... what's the distinction for those of us not fluent there? Because Google Translate with Detect Language had both come up as "How old are you?"

I guess it assumes nobody would ever ask how many anuses someone has, but that means Google needs to check its privilege (though it's interesting that it apparently tries to compensate for grammar/typo, even with one other unicode character already present in the source text)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

Fedule posted:

Hello thread. This isn't the next update, but I thought you all might like to know that the Final Year Project in whose name I derailed this thread for several pages a while back has gone through the relentless process of Academic Assessment and my supervisor and her second-opinion-haver have stamped it with a classification of First Class, which is basically the poncy academic way of saying "A". So it wasn't all a gigantic waste of time!

I still can't believe I managed to graduate based on a project based (almost entirely) on a videogame.

Better than how I graduated college, they made me kill one of my friends and have to successfully get away with it. Tech school is harsh.

In all seriousness, many congratulations to you, you are a gentleman and scholar. ... I mean we all knew that but now you have proof. Many a huzzah to you. :D

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

I guess it assumes nobody would ever ask how many anuses someone has, but that means Google needs to check its privilege (though it's interesting that it apparently tries to compensate for grammar/typo, even with one other unicode character already present in the source text)

in some universes it's important to know

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

orenronen posted:

Well, it doesn't exactly make her seem smart, but it makes more sense - if Clover is Japanese (and I assume all the 999 characters are), then "panty" is an English word she probably knows while "pantry" she most likely doesn't recognize. It's really easy to make these kind of mistakes in a language you aren't fluent in.

Which once again makes me wonder what language they're all "really" speaking. It's probably English, but if so - how can Clover communicate so well? And if we brush it up by saying she took intensive language training for her job or lived abroad for a while, then the panty joke is pretty sloppy writing.

It sure makes it hard to understand what's going on culturally when your setting is Japalifornia.

And someone seems to have bought me a very strange avatar.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

IIRC he said he was a grad student that went to school in California during a flashback.

I've been curious whether it's the same thing in the original version or if he's a Japanese grad student.

Also, during Alice's confessional she said she was a spy for the American government, but again I wonder whether that was the case in the original script.

These are all left unchanged. The VLR and 999 translations don't try to change anything in the Japanese script the way games like Phoenix Wright do. Sigma is almost certainly American, as is Alice.

The 999 characters, Clover included, are unambiguously Japanese, though, even in the translation. Whenever we learn anyone's real name it's Japanese ("Junpei", "Akane Kurashiki", "Gentarou Hongou" etc.), and whenever we see something from the outside world there are enough hints that set it in Japan.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
From what we know
American - Sigma, Alice
Japanese - Clover (, Tenmyouji? sounds japanese)
Who even knows - Everyone else but especially K
I thought Dio said something but I don't remember

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Reposted from the other VLR thread here (spoiler warning etc etc don't click this link if not 100% on both games). http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513092&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=56

Blinus posted:

The Ben Bateman interview has been completed. Went about 2 hours. Thanks to everyone who asked questions, we managed to touch on every one of them in one way or another.

Once it's posted, which shouldn't be longer than in a few days depending on my cohost's schedule, I'll link to it here. And of course it is for people who have completed both games, so there were no restrictions on spoilery stuff. Don't listen if you haven't completed them both 100%.

We hope you enjoy it. :)

Fedule, your bounty is remains uncollected, I'm afraid.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

orenronen posted:

Whenever we learn anyone's real name it's Japanese ("Junpei", "Akane Kurashiki", "Gentarou Hongou" etc.), and whenever we see something from the outside world there are enough hints that set it in Japan.

Well the game itself is evidently set in Nevada, it's just that everyone involved seems to be Japanese for some reason... which I guess is a little weird when you think about it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Well the game itself is evidently set in Nevada, it's just that everyone involved seems to be Japanese for some reason... which I guess is a little weird when you think about it.

Why? It just means they were shipped to Nevada as part of the experiment. Why Nevada? Because that's where the previous group had done it and the building was already there. Probably easier to arrange a private flight than to rebuild the whole damned thing somewhere else.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Clarste posted:

Why? It just means they were shipped to Nevada as part of the experiment. Why Nevada? Because that's where the previous group had done it and the building was already there. Probably easier to arrange a private flight than to rebuild the whole damned thing somewhere else.

Well there was that weird diagram we found that had "Nevada Test Site" on it when we escaped from the Garden.

Fedule posted:

It looks like a piece of paper...

Some kind of... diagram...?

It doesn't make any sense.
I wonder what it is...

Oh well. Just forget about it for now. We can always come back to it later.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Just that if I remember right, Cradle Pharmaceutical is supposed to be an American company and presumably has services in the United States - yet the higher-ups are all Japanese and all the kids they kidnapped for the first Nonary Project were from Japan? I mean, I get why the authors would do that, it just seems like a weird coincidence in-game.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Just that if I remember right, Cradle Pharmaceutical is supposed to be an American company and presumably has services in the United States - yet the higher-ups are all Japanese and all the kids they kidnapped for the first Nonary Project were from Japan? I mean, I get why the authors would do that, it just seems like a weird coincidence in-game.

Uchikoshi seems to have a thing for pharmaceutical companies with joint Japanese/foreign management. The Infinity series games he wrote also had one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Look, if 9 sets of twins go missing from Japan, do you think "middle of the Nevada desert" is high on the list of places they'll look for them? Even Seven, a renegade cop with Justice on his side, would have had some hoops to go through if that ship had already left port when he got his tip.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Last time I have to do this! Interview with BenB is up. From the main VLR thread:

Blinus posted:

:siren:Remember, it's not spoiler-free, only listen if you've 100%ed both games.:siren:

I apologize that late in the interview I start sounding low or disinterested, but that was just me getting tired, 20 or so hours awake by that point.

Some questions were paraphrased or reworded just to make them work better as a question, but the question being asked never changed. I'm sure nobody cares, but just in case you hear your question but it's not verbatim, that's why.

Also, try and not get confused by the fact that there are 2 Bens. Me and Ben B. :P

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-bn8elaDg8

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7od678CIKc

:siren:Seriously, we talk about most of the biggest twists in both games, so for some in this thread, that spoiler warning is very important.:siren:

Blinus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 4, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Blinus posted:

Last time I have to do this! Interview with BenB is up. From the main VLR thread:

Seriously, we talk about most of the biggest twists in both game, so for some in this this thread, that spoiler warning is very important.

This is cool, and holy poo poo am I backing up that spoiler warning.

Could you be a bro and and add some bold tags and :siren:s to your spoiler warning? Many goons have tried stating spoiler warnings in plain text, and it never ends well.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

Fedule posted:

This is cool, and holy poo poo am I backing up that spoiler warning.

Could you be a bro and and add some bold tags and :siren:s to your spoiler warning? Many goons have tried stating spoiler warnings in plain text, and it never ends well.

Done and done. I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
I haven't played this game at all, so this is all speculation, but something makes me suspicious of Sigma. He has this dumb gimmick where he makes cat-based puns uncontrollably.

And Zero makes rabbit-based puns uncontrollably.

I really hope this doesn't become a plot point in the future...

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Nagna Zul posted:

I haven't played this game at all, so this is all speculation, but something makes me suspicious of Sigma. He has this dumb gimmick where he makes cat-based puns uncontrollably.

And Zero makes rabbit-based puns uncontrollably.

I really hope this doesn't become a plot point in the future...

I don't really see the correlation, personally. For Sigma it's just a tic that happens under very specific circumstances; for Zero it seems to be part of a concerted effort to annoy the gently caress out of everyone.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Okay, I marathoned 999 yesterday, and this today, so I have a few speculatory things to go for, since I missed so much.

First of all, this takes place years in the future.

Tenmyouji and Quark are both denizens of a world that has already been ruined by Radical-6. That's why there is a 'ruin full of valuable ore' or whatever Tenmy talks about early on, when offering to buy Quark a rootbeer, why Tenmyouji seems to know about Radical-6, etc. Luna and K are also from that future, in my opinion. Luna clearly knows something about Radical-6, it keeps getting brought up whenever she comments on it, everyone asks 'do you know something'. Meanwhile, K's in some kind of environment suit or something, maybe to protect from exposure. Or maybe he's a GAELUM?

But there's only three beds with cryogenic freezing. We know Sigma, Clover, and Alice are the ones who have to be from the past, because for Sigma we know the protagonist's background for sure, and for Clover and Alice because they're in 999.

That leaves... Dio and Phi? Dio claims to be a circus ringleader, and Phi... hasn't really offered up much about herself. I think Phi is also sort of from the Radical Future - specifically, I think she's the end result of a combination of research between Clay Doll/Cradle/Myrmidon's many branches. She's a clone bred to take advantage of morphogenic fields and stuff, thus her ability to see through time.

Dio I don't loving know. He's a jerk. Maybe a Myrmidon plant, to specifically try and be as big of an rear end in a top hat as possible?

Alternatively, Phi is a clone - a female clone of Sigma. Instead of Clay Doll/Myrmidon making her though, she was made by whoever Zero Sr. is (if it's not myrmidon), and the entire thing is a test to enforce the growth of their powers. The ultimate goal is to encourage Sigma to be able to make active use of his powers, and send back memories to before the Radical Apocalypse, thus changing the future.

In this situation, Dio would be a plant meant to specifically sabotage any attempt for that to happen, to make sure Radical Time happens.

Oh and Akane and Santa are going to turn up at the end and reveal that Zero was them all along, and that they had to use [Epiphany] and [Danger] to encourage Sigma into saving the world, thus the nonary game (ambidex edition). :v: It's for a good cause! So no one can blame them! Why do you think Akane is a horrible person no! She's clearly an angel and everything she did had to be done, so no one can be mad.

Quickedit: Oh and the Rabbit is actually Junpei's morphogenic fields coalescing into a semi sentient organism. Wanting to please Akane and win her back drove him a little nuts, so now he's a bit psychotic, just like the woman he loves!

Edit2: Sigma could possibly be a clone too, now that I think about it, explaining how Dio could come from the past with Clover and Alice. Fake memories, implanted via a morphogenic connection between him and his original that he was cloned from? :v: crack theory.

Edit3: The cat puns are the best part of Sigma.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 8, 2014

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Cross-post again, Karen Strassman (Phi) interview happening.

Blinus posted:

So, I not-so-subtly hinted at this before, but there's also an interview with Karen Strassman scheduled, English voice actress for Phi (As well as a fuckton of other work, seriously, if you don't know her look her up or just use her website, karenstrassman.com, it's pretty cool). If you'd like to submit questions for her on this thread, (unless TBTB here wouldn't want you to this time for any reason) go right ahead. Ask about her work in general, or specifically about Phi, the world is your clammy mussel.

This interview will be tighter than the last one, which had its issues here and there, both technically and structurally. It'll probably also be shorter I imagine, as I believe she won't have as much time, so depending on the number of questions received, may not get to them all. The questions will also be spread out through the interview in appropriate sections as opposed to lumped together, which was one of the iffy things about the last one's structure.

That's all. Go on then.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

...Wrong thread, person?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Llab posted:

...Wrong thread, person?

Don't worry, they're just speculating.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Llab posted:

...Wrong thread, person?

KittyEmpress posted:

Okay, I marathoned 999 yesterday, and this today, so I have a few speculatory things to go for, since I missed so much.

Emphasis mine

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

KittyEmpress posted:

Admittedly, I also got worried at first, but luckily the games have completely different names.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Ah, I thought that they had said they marathoned the games, not the threads. Carry on.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Llab posted:

Ah, I thought that they had said they marathoned the games, not the threads. Carry on.

Oh, no. I can see how that mistake could be made. I just read 999 on the archive, and asked in the recommendations thread if there was a VLR LP and then read through all of that in the next day.

I have no idea anything that will go on that we haven't seen, I just was speculating from a point of remembering most of the updates and dialogue.

Sorry.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Still short on questions for Karen Strassman (Phi), so here's a reminder. Remember, submit your questions on the thread linked at the end of this sentence, but beware of spoilers. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513092&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=56

Original Text posted:

So, I not-so-subtly hinted at this before, but there's also an interview with Karen Strassman scheduled, English voice actress for Phi (As well as a fuckton of other work, seriously, if you don't know her look her up or just use her website, karenstrassman.com, it's pretty cool). If you'd like to submit questions for her on this thread, (unless TBTB here wouldn't want you to this time for any reason) go right ahead. Ask about her work in general, or specifically about Phi, the world is your clammy mussel.

This interview will be tighter than the last one, which had its issues here and there, both technically and structurally. It'll probably also be shorter I imagine, as I believe she won't have as much time, so depending on the number of questions received, may not get to them all. The questions will also be spread out through the interview in appropriate sections as opposed to lumped together, which was one of the iffy things about the last one's structure.

That's all. Go on then.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In related news, job hunting continues at the expense of VLR. It's hard :ohdear:

At least it's better than that time I let the POR thread die for like two months because I went to Ireland and couldn't be arsed to come back.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

Fedule posted:

In related news, job hunting continues at the expense of VLR. It's hard :ohdear:

At least it's better than that time I let the POR thread die for like two months because I went to Ireland and couldn't be arsed to come back.

I empathize with that, I've been without steady work for... too long. Anyone who criticizes you for delaying the LP because of that has no real grounds to complain. Just go at your own pace, friend.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I made some kind of fanart for this wonderful LP. It's absofuckinglutely lovely, but here you go: Gangnam Root
Some draw things, I mash things, for the better or the worse.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

legendsuper posted:

I made some kind of fanart for this wonderful LP. It's absofuckinglutely lovely, but here you go: Gangnam Root

Magical.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

legendsuper posted:

I lost it at the first "sexy lady", that was perfect

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

That is beautiful.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

legendsuper posted:

Never stop.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

9shields 9heatknives 1raiden

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Bought the game and I'm on the yellow path to start. I didn't realize that you can pick the language every time you load, which is awesome. Zero's English voice is having a blast but I like the ability to switch. Is getting all the files just a matter of hopping back to the escape puzzle and entering the same code you used in the other difficulty? I'm trying not to use the LP as a walkthrough so most of my escapes are likely to be done on Easy first.

ETA: Well, that was a hell of an ending to get my first time through.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 3, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There are a couple rooms where you have to trigger a plot scene before you can just beeline to the safe, but generally, yes.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

LivesInGrey posted:

Bought the game and I'm on the yellow path to start. I didn't realize that you can pick the language every time you load, which is awesome. Zero's English voice is having a blast but I like the ability to switch. Is getting all the files just a matter of hopping back to the escape puzzle and entering the same code you used in the other difficulty? I'm trying not to use the LP as a walkthrough so most of my escapes are likely to be done on Easy first.

Yeah, the codes don't change when you replay the room, so if you get both codes on Easy there's nothing to stop you from coming back on Hard and just going straight to the safe. In fact, all the codes are generated when you create your savefile so technically there's nothing to stop you from outright cheating. I don't know why you'd bother (since you'd have to beat the puzzles anyway) but you can totally do it.

In LP related news, my situation is stablized (Only a signature stands between me and employment!) and I've got the Pantry footage recorded, so I'll be writing it up soon.

It concerns me that I have, historically, always had an easier time maintaining a consistent LP update rate during termtime and exams than during holidays (funfact: All three of my LPs have started up during exam season). Is that weird? I think that's weird.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

There are a couple rooms where you have to trigger a plot scene before you can just beeline to the safe, but generally, yes.

No, it'll automatically do the plot stuff when you open the exit door; there's only one room I can think of where the safe isn't accessible right away and it's because a puzzle blocks it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fedule posted:

It concerns me that I have, historically, always had an easier time maintaining a consistent LP update rate during termtime and exams than during holidays (funfact: All three of my LPs have started up during exam season). Is that weird? I think that's weird.

I'm the same way with side projects. I guess I make more progress when I have a limited time during the day in which to do things than when I can just do it whenever.

• Locked thread