Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I liked that the movie respected the viewer enough to keep up and trust that answers were coming or that parts of the plot weren't relevant enough to devote more time to compared to the overall story and message

It treated itself like the movie it was and didn't pretend to be anything else. Yes there were weak plot points but they didn't matter to the overall story.

Star Lord dance off and "why would they put sticks up their butts?" had me in tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Goddamn I know they'll never do this, but now I want Avengers 3 to just open with like 20 minutes of Thanos going around and taking the stones by being the smartest motherfucker like he does in Thanos Quest.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Veotax posted:

My favourite part of that scene was Ronan being so utterly bewildered he drops the deep booming voice and just sounds like a normal dude when he asks "What are you doing?"

YES. It was so great, I laughed like an idiot.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

And while it is heavy handed with the whole POWER OF FRIENDSHIP stuff, up to and including how the main conflict is resolved, it feels satisfying and natural.

I think what ultimately makes their emerging friendship feel believable and not forced is that each character really is living a sad, empty life for one reason or another prior to meeting each other. The movie does a good job of showing you this even before Quill's 'losers' speech, which I thought worked well as a catalyst for their friendship actually emerging. These characters really have nothing to lose, so them deciding to stand together to try to save a shitload of lives even if they're likely to lose their own suddenly becomes believable.

Really, without this buildup the moment where they share the power of the Infinity Stone just wouldn't of worked. It could have easily been a groaner of a moment, but instead it was awesome despite how cheesy it was.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I really wish when John C Reily was coming to see his family, that it would reveal that comes from an alien race that composes of everyone looking like John C Reily

For some reason I thought he was going to be working for Thanos and he'd somehow pocketed the infinity gem and would walk in to see Thanos chilling on the sofa Darkseid style.

This might be the first Marvel movie I watch twice in the cinema, saw it the other night with some friends and might catch it again next weekend with my kid.
Every Marvel movie seems to get better. Iron Man 3,Thor 2 and Captain America 2 are the best Marvel have put out and I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy more than any of them, film is just top-notch.

Rocket was a total stand out,so surprised that I gave such a gently caress about a cartoon rodent but he was great. Managed to do the whole constant wise-crack thing without being annoying and was the most competent guy in the team and was more drawn out and three dimensional than most of the characters I've seen in the previous Marvel movies. Also Dave Batista was surprisingly great.
I'm glad the movie had a different tone than the trailer suggested,it looked like it was going lean to much on wacky humour but instead it got the balance prefect and the humour was pitched just right, the dance-off distraction could have been terrible but worked just right, Ronan's indignation in that scene had me giggling like an idiot.

I also really like the changes to the characters compared to the their comic counterparts. everyones power-levels have been taken down abit which makes them all alot more interesting.

I'm almost worried with the last batch of movies being so good that Marvel can't keep up this level of momentum.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 2, 2014

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

For some reason I thought he was going to be working for Thanos and he'd somehow pocketed the infinity gem and would walk in to see Thanos chilling on the sofa Darkseid style.

Uh that would be...well that would be high treason and...yeah that would be a crime.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw GoTG on Thursday and I really liked it. Chris Pratt is fantastic in it, but he's not nearly as omnipresent in the film as I expected him to be. They did a good job of sharing the limelight around with the cast. Batistia as Drax was also surprisingly good.

Thoughts: Who is Starlord's Dad is a good hook for the sequel. I was initially sure it was supposed to be J'Son Emperor of the Spartax. But the fact that they said his DNA isn't on file, makes me think that maybe they are going for a swerve and having his dad be some undocumented/ one of a kind alien ala Adam Warlock. According to one of my friends, and an internet search reveals Latino Review, Adam Warlock was scheduled for a cameo appearance in the script but it got changed to Howard the Duck.

My brother also made the point, that Xandar lost a whole load of Nova Centurions in the final battle. They will have to go on a mega recruitment drive. A possible way to introduce Dick Ryder or Sam? And maybe we will see them use the Power Gem to portion off a piece of power to make their Corpsmen capable of handling the new threats in the Galaxy?

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
Can someone list out a reading order to catch up? I have marvel unlimited and was going to start with the 2008 series but they are highlighting a Starlord annihilation miniseries that came out before 2008. I have tons of time so the amount. Would not be a concern. I just want to make sure that I get everything relevant.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

something clever posted:

Can someone list out a reading order to catch up? I have marvel unlimited and was going to start with the 2008 series but they are highlighting a Starlord annihilation miniseries that came out before 2008. I have tons of time so the amount. Would not be a concern. I just want to make sure that I get everything relevant.

Depends on what you want really. The 2008 run is pretty well tied into a lot of larger cosmic stories around that era. It wouldn't hurt just to read that but you won't get the full picture that way.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
Check out the Annihilation Event and the individual character mini series.

It sets up most of the current runs of Cosmic Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dogeatdog posted:

Check out the Annihilation Event and the individual character mini series.

It sets up most of the current runs of Cosmic Marvel.

Yeah, if you really want to go all in on it I would suggest the following:

Thanos 1-12 (Not totally necessary, especially the first six, but I think it's a good read)
Drax Mini Series 1-4
Annihilation Prologue
Annihilation Nova 1-4
Annihilation Ronan 1-4
Annihilation Silver Surfer 1-4
Annihilation 1-6
Annihilation Heralds of Galactus 1-2

Nova Series (Starts before and runs through Annihilation Conquest)

Annihilation Conquest Prologue
Annihilation Conquest Star-Lord 1-4
Annihilation Conquest Quasar 1-4
Annihilation Conquest 1-6

Guardians of the Galaxy Series (Starts after Annihilation Conquest)

Then you've got War of Kings and Realm of Kings which are a lot less necessary and not really that good but you'll see some crossovers there in Nova and Guardians. Then the finale is The Thanos Imperative

Thanos Imperative Ignition
Thanos Imperative 1-6
Thanos Imperative Devastation

After that are the two Annihilators minis, I wouldn't really bother with those though unless you really want to continue with the story. They're decent reads but not really essential.

I think there's a couple minis I may have left out like Super Skrull or Wrath but those aren't really worth reading.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 2, 2014

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
I'm so happy GotG is doing well because the cosmic side of Marvel has always been my favorite. I can't wait to see all the silly marvel space races on screen.

Is the Shi'ar with Fox X-men movie properies or Marvel? Oh, man think how cool the Brood would look.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just want to watch the intro over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvqMvxdZTVE

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

That said, man there was a lot of swearing in this movie.

On a side note related to this: Man I'm so glad they just used normal swearing. Like, I only just recently started reading Guardians but they use the common sci-fi trope of having people (mostly Rocket) use made up space words just to drive home how in space they are way too much. Normal curses are just fine and I laughed my rear end off at Rocket yelling at Drax in the bar "that's the first thing you've said that wasn't totally batshit insane"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This is in regards to Guardian of the Galaxy but What if it's not Adam Warlock, but instead an Eternal that is Quills father because that would make sense.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I can't recommend enough Bendis's current run on Guardians. Really captures a lot of the same feel of the movie.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, apparently (GOTG) the infinity gem was the power gem, according to some artbook?

I am disappointed that the gem that they ended up guarding wasn't actually the galaxy gem, if we go by color

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unlucky7 posted:

So, apparently (GOTG) the infinity gem was the power gem, according to some artbook?

I am disappointed that the gem that they ended up guarding wasn't actually the galaxy gem, if we go by color

There is no gem by that name. The gems are Mind, Soul, Time, Space, Power, and Reality.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Deadpool posted:

There is no gem by that name. The gems are Mind, Soul, Time, Space, Power, and Reality.

oh. must have got space and galaxy mixed up. i feel dumb.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hollismason posted:

This is in regards to Guardian of the Galaxy but What if it's not Adam Warlock, but instead an Eternal that is Quills father because that would make sense.

If it was that why would he hide it and kidnap his son, and also the guys are basically human genetically speaking. They certainly aren't any more 'ancient' than we are. That's one of the hilarious things about Thanos, another Eternal, he is functionally another rear end in a top hat from Sol Sector being a massive loving nuisance to the galaxy, just like the rest of us. Although I suppose they'll probably just make him a generic 'alien' in this one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Isn't it just more likely that Quill's dad will simply be his dad from the comics, but with a slightly different interpretation?

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, if you really want to go all in on it I would suggest the following:

Thanos 1-12 (Not totally necessary, especially the first six, but I think it's a good read)
Drax Mini Series 1-4
Annihilation Prologue
Annihilation Nova 1-4
Annihilation Ronan 1-4
Annihilation Silver Surfer 1-4
Annihilation 1-6
Annihilation Heralds of Galactus 1-2

Nova Series (Starts before and runs through Annihilation Conquest)

Annihilation Conquest Prologue
Annihilation Conquest Star-Lord 1-4
Annihilation Conquest Quasar 1-4
Annihilation Conquest 1-6

Guardians of the Galaxy Series (Starts after Annihilation Conquest)

Then you've got War of Kings and Realm of Kings which are a lot less necessary and not really that good but you'll see some crossovers there in Nova and Guardians. Then the finale is The Thanos Imperative

Thanos Imperative Ignition
Thanos Imperative 1-6
Thanos Imperative Devastation

After that are the two Annihilators minis, I wouldn't really bother with those though unless you really want to continue with the story. They're decent reads but not really essential.

I think there's a couple minis I may have left out like Super Skrull or Wrath but those aren't really worth reading.

This is what I am going to do. Thank you!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Unlucky7 posted:

oh. must have got space and galaxy mixed up. i feel dumb.

"Guardians of the Space" sounds nice if kind of mundane, as if they were guarding an empty parking lot.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Hollismason posted:

You heard it here, folks, Star-Lord's dad is Starfox.

James McCloud.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Raserys posted:

You heard it here, folks, Star-Lord's dad is Starfox.

James McCloud.

Star-Lord's dad is just Chris Pratt in sunglasses.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Star-Lords dad is Bert Macklin. He's with the loving FBI.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This movie had some really funny dialog.

"He said, and I quote, 'I'm not 100% a dick.'"

"What do you think?"

"I don't know, I don't think anyone is 100 percent a dick."

And then later

"THEY GOT MY DICK MESSAGE!"

Also, I went to see it in Imax 3D and it was worth the extra as they did a really good job with the 3D.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

they did a really good job with the 3D.

Wanna reiterate this. Probably the first Marvel movie I'm really glad I shelled out the extra cash to see in 3D. (I mean, the rest were good, but I could've just as easily watched them in 2D with the same enjoyment, y'know?)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cap 1 had the part where Skull's car drives up at the beginning, and then a shield bounce right at the screen.

Those are the only 3D moments I remember.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I thought the Power of Friendship scene at the end might've been a bit neater if John C. Reilly and random Xandarians had come and joined in the power-sharing as well (which I was vaguely expecting as a Nova tease), but ultimately it was fine

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I need the visual of Glenn Close rocketing around and tearing a bad guys spine out in the climax of a movie. That would own.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just can't believe that there is an actual possibility that in 4 to 6 years we will in fact see an Adaptation of the loving Infinity Gauntlet on screen.

It'd be like DC and Warner Bros. doing Crisis.

It's going to be amazeballs.

My theory is they'll do the Infinity Gauntlet as it's own movie.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Guardians of the Galaxy is so good.

And if this is an example if what to expect from Disney for "action adventure space opera" Star Wars 7 is going to own

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

MrFlibble posted:

Uh that would be...well that would be high treason and...yeah that would be a crime.

:golfclap:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My brother texted me asking if I wanted to see Guardians of the Galaxy. I told him "Hell yeah, I'll see it again!"

Some stuff I noticed upon second viewing:

In the prison, one of the inmates is shown hanging around Gamora's cell and makes the cutthroat gesture. It's the very same guy who agrees with Star-Lord during the Drax bit.

During the Collector scene, you can clearly see Howard the Duck in the background at one point for a second or two before he becomes out of focus, so he isn't completely out of nowhere.

The bit where Groot sacrifices himself is a bit sadder on the second watch because you actually notice Groot coming to the decision beforehand.

The bit with the Groot sapling is actually something that comes as a surprise to Rocket. Initially, he carries the pot for sentimental value, but once Baby Groot wakes up and yawns in front of him, Rocket suddenly gets shocked and emotional.

At the end of the credits it says, "No raccoons or tree creatures were harmed in the making of this movie."

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Chicken posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is so good.

And if this is an example if what to expect from Disney for "action adventure space opera" Star Wars 7 is going to own

Yeah, James Gunn set a very high bar for Abrams. Sure, Guardians was way faster paced and didn't world build as much as the original Star Wars trilogy, but it was just about as good as a modern space opera could be.

That said, Abram's Star Trek was basically a Star Wars film anyway so I'm still pretty optimistic.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Gavok posted:

The bit with the Groot sapling is actually something that comes as a surprise to Rocket. Initially, he carries the pot for sentimental value, but once Baby Groot wakes up and yawns in front of him, Rocket suddenly gets shocked and emotional.

That :unsmith: was my favorite thing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I've heard people complain how all the aliens were just humans in different colors, but I didn't get that feeling at all; unless you really want to be a stick in a mud and can't just accept some convergent evolution bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doesn't Marvel have like 9 super intelligent ancient alien races who seeded planets anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Celestials started it off and then the Kree messed with a bunch of other planets.

• Locked thread