Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
:negative:

gently caress it I'll take Samwise Gagner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
The Nashville Perds will take Karl Alzner because he is a good defender who plays big minutes, but mostly because he has really rad facial hair.

Parise-Carter-
Marchand-Scheifele-
- -
- -

Alzner-Subban
Fowler-
-

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wondering when a certain young defenseman is taken. Real underrated, slipped just a little in his sophomore year but he is solid.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's definitely a more viable partner for Subban than he would've been for Green.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Laderhan posted:

The Nashville Perds will take Karl Alzner because he is a good defender who plays big minutes, but mostly because he has really rad facial hair.

Parise-Carter-
Marchand-Scheifele-
- -
- -

Alzner-Subban
Fowler-
-

Putting Marchy with ZP and Carter would make it the most annoying line in the league.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Wondering when a certain young defenseman is taken. Real underrated, slipped just a little in his sophomore year but he is solid.

If this is who I think, I didn't take him because he is unsigned.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Screw it, I'll take Jack Johnson because I have no time to properly research anything tonight.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jack Johnson is worse than Tyler Myers, and Tyler Myers is not very good.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

If this is who I think, I didn't take him because he is unsigned.

Oh wow. Hmm.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Putting Marchy with ZP and Carter would make it the most annoying line in the league.

I might do this depending on who I draft later.

Also, even with two players eating up a combined nearly 17 million of my payroll, my cap situation isn't completely hosed, which actually even kinda suprises me because I thought it was going to be a nightmare when I made my first two picks.

also, JMFJ is a terrible pick. your defense is real bad, sorry.

Laderhan fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 3, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

Screw it, I'll take Jack Johnson because I have no time to properly research anything tonight.

hahahaha

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

del zotto isnt wanted anywhere, john carlson is overrated, uh...

oh carlson was taken. in the FOURTH? holy poo poo

there are a lot of typical 3-4 dmen i assume are going to go in this round or next and you picked jack johnson eheheheh

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 3, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Verviticus posted:

del zotto isnt wanted anywhere, john carlson is overrated, uh...

oh carlson was taken. in the FOURTH? holy poo poo

there are a lot of typical 3-4 dmen i assume are going to go in this round or next and you picked jack johnson eheheheh

Neither

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

should i keep guessing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jack Johnson actually had a decent season. He couldn't score to save his life early on but he put up points later and wasn't a complete tire fire in his own end (also decent in the playoffs).

I still would not have picked him though, even if I needed D.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Verviticus posted:

should i keep guessing

Look up RFA defensemen. I guess he means the one who is even more poo poo at defense than Jack Johnson.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Look up RFA defensemen. I guess he means the one who is even more poo poo at defense than Jack Johnson.

He is much better defensively than JJ

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jack Johnson is such a weird player. His fancy stats AND the eye test tell us that he's not very good, but he's always been played heavy minutes.

He played close to 30 minutes a night in the playoffs series against Pittsburgh. To me, that's reason enough to not completely poo-poo the pick.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Jordan7hm posted:

Jack Johnson is such a weird player. His fancy stats AND the eye test tell us that he's not very good, but he's always been played heavy minutes.

He played close to 30 minutes a night in the playoffs series against Pittsburgh. To me, that's reason enough to not completely poo-poo the pick.

It's almost as if he was a really high draft pick and has been riding that for a while

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mennoknight posted:

It's almost as if he was a really high draft pick and has been riding that for a while

That doesn't explain getting 30 minutes a night in a playoff series Columbus almost won. (I know that OT skews the numbers there, but it's still a ton of ice time.)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

I thought he actually looked decent in the playoffs, especially considering that he put up a whopping 11 points through his first 44 games and was well on track to being an exceptionally rich laughingstock.

e: On the subject of Johnsons, Erik was a good pick. Seems to have finally turned into a top pairing D. Also his possession stats are way better without a certain anchor Jan Hejda who has some utterly brutal wowy's (and usage).

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 3, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

hes perpetuating his own success by getting lots of minutes and nobody wants to be the guy to really call him out and put him as the 5th or 6th with some PP time so he just kinda.. eats up minutes to no success

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

eXXon posted:

I thought he actually looked decent in the playoffs, especially considering that he put up a whopping 11 points through his first 44 games and was well on track to being an exceptionally rich laughingstock.

e: On the subject of Johnsons, Erik was a good pick. Seems to have finally turned into a top pairing D. Also his possession stats are way better without a certain anchor Jan Hejda who has some utterly brutal wowy's (and usage).

Yeah Erik Johnson was on my list. He's not first overall good but he's still good.

Jack Johnson just loving sucks, I wish he was still on the Kings.

mennoknight posted:

Getzlaf - 31
Pavelski - 41
Oshie - 21
Hertl - 15 (in a half season)
Markov - 7
Ekblad - 0 obvs

I expect getzlaf to fo down to 25, pavelski to 30, but Oshie/Hertl make up that deficit no problem next year. Ekblad scores 5 goals tops, but i picked him to bust heads.

You don't have Hertl playing on Thornton's wing so I doubt he gets any higher than 20

tofes fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 3, 2014

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Buffalo Sabres select D Calvin de Haan from the New York Islanders

This is probably another controversial selection as de Haan was a first year player in 2013-14 and didn't get a lot of publicity. He started setting of the sirens and red lights on my spreadsheets a couple rounds ago, as a guy that stood out with amazing possession numbers - especially when you consider his age. Pretty much every player who spent any time with de Haan at all last season did significantly better with him than without, including his regular defensive partner Travis Hamonic. That being said 51 games isn't a huge sample size, but I took confidence from the trust that the Islanders placed in de Haan - especially at the end of the year when he was playing the top pairing minutes - and his formerly high draft position.

I was looking for right wings and a goaltender, but I just wasn't too happy with any of the options right at this point in the draft. To me picking up a 22 year old defenseman who has shown the ability to play 1st pairing minutes is a strong bet at this point.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Not enough data to say either way. Other, more experienced defencemen are still available so I'm going to label it a bad pick.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Going with any of the middling rookies is gonna be a high-risk high-reward kind of move at this point, but I think you've got a solid chance that there will be some damned ancient vets when the snake swings back around that you can supplement with. De Haan - Braun though, yeesh. Your forward core is better suited to play defense at this point, which is distressing. I don't know what that team would look like.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Going with any of the middling rookies is gonna be a high-risk high-reward kind of move at this point, but I think you've got a solid chance that there will be some damned ancient vets when the snake swings back around that you can supplement with. De Haan - Braun though, yeesh. Your forward core is better suited to play defense at this point, which is distressing. I don't know what that team would look like.

Neal - Kopitar - UFA
Saad - Staal - UFA

Braun - Goligoski
de Haan - UFA

To be clear my plan was to use my first bunch of picks on young players to build a core, and then supplement it with veterans after that. Probably from this point on I'll be picking from the entire field, and I have no problem knocking some of my young players down the lineup.

I'd also encourage you guys to do your research into de Haan's useage with the Islanders and the statistical results. There's a real argument he was the better half of his pairing with Hamonic.

I think the results from the upcoming season will vindicate my decisions, as it did last year when several of my picks had massive breakout seasons :)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

What up. I've got really spotty wifi and am pretty deep into my cups. I'll try for the next hour or so but I likely won't pick until morning.

(realistically I'll Homer hard and regret it in the morning)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
So, the pick order is:

JoelJoel
stab
lazerwolf
Rutkowski
the talent deficit

Last pick was at 7PM EST last night.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Autopick happens at noon est. Top NHL scorer from last year.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

Autopick happens at noon est. Top NHL scorer from last year.

Probably would have been a better pick than mine, but Ottawa go for Morgan Rielly.

I'll effort post later, but he's big, good, left shot, has the second best face mole on the mapleleafs and is young. Probably a risk with all these young d-men, but I'm sure I can pick up some wiley vets in the later rounds to round it out.

Hall - Krejci - ???
??? - Henrique - ???
??? - Smith - ???

Rielly - Hamilton
Maatta - ???

????

I'll grab a good young goaltender (which I almost did just now) and after grabbing a young RW I'll fill the lineup with older guys that have 2-4 years left in em to mentor the kids.

E: Hmm, let's look at the good, you RWs still on the board...

:negative:

E2: I guess I can always just let Smith play on the right. We'll see.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 3, 2014

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rielly is really really good.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yes, he is, but you need a veteran defenseman in your top four.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stab selects SEAN MONOHAN

Terrible possession numbers on a terrible team but he's a good 'un. Former 67s are the best.

lazerwolf is up

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I like Monahan a lot. I think he puts up 25 goals and has a better defensive game this year.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i like both monahan and morgan reilly but both are raw as hell

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also p sure that's Jake Gardiner dancing in that gif unless you wanted to post a gif of out of focus Rielly tying his skates

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

the talent deficit posted:

Rielly isn't raw at all. He has lots of room to develop sure, but he's got so much poise for his age and is as surefire a D prospect as it gets.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

Rielly isn't raw at all. He has lots of room to develop sure, but he's got so much poise for his age and is as surefire a D prospect as it gets.

Right but he is still raw in terms of not having reached his potential yet and being super young. Anything can happen with the development of a player from this stage.

But yes, he is close to a sure bet to be very very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

the talent deficit posted:

I'd been sort of glancing at Monahan, but yeah that rawness keeps driving me away.

And I picked a guy who hasn't even played a [regular season] game.

• Locked thread