Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sounds like Froch-Chavez Jr. is on tap for January, rumor has it the fight is being negotiated and will probably be pay-per-view. I can't type out the word "war" enough times to properly convey my excitement for this fight so let me instead say that I think Chavez is a surprisingly live dog in the fight and has a good chance of finishing this one early if he shows up in any kind of shape. That's a pretty big if, granted, but Froch's defense isn't remarkable and Chavez has a solid enough chin to keep from getting Groves'd. I don't think the Cobra at this stage in his career can avoid the pressure Jr. brings for all twelve rounds. Maybe I'm giving the kid too much credit though, I still wouldn't bet on Chavez unless the odds were really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Sounds like Froch-Chavez Jr. is on tap for January, rumor has it the fight is being negotiated and will probably be pay-per-view. I can't type out the word "war" enough times to properly convey my excitement for this fight so let me instead say that I think Chavez is a surprisingly live dog in the fight and has a good chance of finishing this one early if he shows up in any kind of shape. That's a pretty big if, granted, but Froch's defense isn't remarkable and Chavez has a solid enough chin to keep from getting Groves'd. I don't think the Cobra at this stage in his career can avoid the pressure Jr. brings for all twelve rounds. Maybe I'm giving the kid too much credit though, I still wouldn't bet on Chavez unless the odds were really good.

He's got a good chance of sparking Froch early and also Froch can't handle the pressure he brings for 12 rounds. This Chavez Jr sounds loving brilliant.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The Ninth Layer posted:

JCC Jr also hasn't been cracked by a legit Super middleweight yet either, so we'll see how that iron chin holds up against dudes who aren't Brian Vera or Sebastian Zbik.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Ninth Layer posted:

I don't think you can assume anything about what Chavezito's chin is going to look like against Froch based on who he's fought so far. Sergio is a big puncher for an undersized middleweight (which is what he is) and everyone else Chavez has been punched by are basically blown up welters, whereas Froch is a dude that legitimately turns lights out at super-middle.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The thing is I have a hard time picturing Froch going in on Julio like he did on Bute and I think that's what it would take to send Chavez home. As you guys acknowledge we haven't seen his chin tested at 168 yet though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KidDynamite posted:

loving hell Jack Slack is one of the best boxing writers out there. Read every article he writes. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Yeah man. You can learn more about the finer details of boxing from reading his articles than from pretty much any other source.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Dan Rafael posted:

As per Kathy Duva and IBF, Hopkins-Kovalev is signed. Contingent on Kovalev not losing Saturday. #boxing

Wow, so an almost 50 year old B-Hop has bigger balls than Superman.

Get hosed Adonis. (and please win tomorrow, Mr. Kovalev)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CommonShore posted:

Yeah man. You can learn more about the finer details of boxing from reading his articles than from pretty much any other source.

Yeah thanks for bringing him up Dynamite, I wasn't familiar with him and have been working through his recent boxing stuff. I also like the historical stuff he does.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

ozymandius1024 posted:

Wow, so an almost 50 year old B-Hop has bigger balls than Superman.

Get hosed Adonis. (and please win tomorrow, Mr. Kovalev)

Can't wait Hopkins-Carparello :allears:

Kovalev-Hopkins-Stevenson seems rock paper scissors in a way. Kovalev is too relentless to fooled with the smoke and mirrors like Murat, Shumenov that I think he'll stop Hopkins or he'll try to foul out. Hopkins can probably tool Stevenson to a decision since-in the words of Curtis Stevens he doesn't seem strong enough mentally-and lacks the sheer aggressiveness that Kovalev has to force his way through. That being said Kovalev-Stevenson would be a two true outcome fight and would be a total 50-50 based on what both have shown so far.

Also, Diego Chaves-Brandon Rios got saved thanks to Harry Reid and assuming Chaves isn't totally drained from the late travel it should be a nice little war. Regardless Rios-Alvarado III is almost a certainty unless he just totally gets blown out by Chaves.

EDIT: And apropos of nothing here's my top 20 p4p

1) Floyd
2) Manny
3a) Rigondeaux
3b) Klitschko
3c) Ward (will drop off after November)
6) GGG
7) Tim Bradley
8) Miguel Cotto
9) Juan Manuel Marquez
10) Carl Froch
11) Vasyl Lomachenko
12) Roman Gonzalez
13) Canelo Alvarez
14) Terence Crawford
15) Danny Garcia
16) Mikey Garcia (also will drop in November)
17) Shawn Porter/Kell Brook winner
18) Erislandy Lara
19) Marcos Maidana
20) Nicholas Walters

Lionel Richie posted:

The gently caress's Lomachenko doing there

Projection-just like people who had GGG on their lists last year. Based on his amateur pedigree and progression I think we're looking at someone who in a year or two will be the top dog of 126/130

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 2, 2014

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lolling at the mc in the gavin fight '114-113 for the winner and still in the red corner...'

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

lol he made it so obvious too by his disappointed demeanour. At least try to be professional ffs

Gavin is a waster. Shouldn't even be a welterweight but he's just pudgy and idle. Billy Joe Saunders is the same, struggling to make middleweight when he should be at light middle. Warren is gonna need some new fighters soon.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

1) Floyd
2) Manny
3a) Rigondeaux
3b) Klitschko
3c) Ward (will drop off after November)
6) GGG
7) Tim Bradley
8) Miguel Cotto
9) Juan Manuel Marquez
10) Carl Froch
11) Vasyl Lomachenko
12) Roman Gonzalez
13) Canelo Alvarez
14) Terence Crawford
15) Danny Garcia
16) Mikey Garcia (also will drop in November)
17) Shawn Porter/Kell Brook winner
18) Erislandy Lara
19) Marcos Maidana
20) Nicholas Walters

The gently caress's Lomachenko doing there

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Lionel Richie posted:

lol he made it so obvious too by his disappointed demeanour. At least try to be professional ffs

Gavin is a waster. Shouldn't even be a welterweight but he's just pudgy and idle. Billy Joe Saunders is the same, struggling to make middleweight when he should be at light middle. Warren is gonna need some new fighters soon.

i wonder if passing out at the olympics or whenever it was has put gavin off wanting to boil down to make weight again. saunders has no excuse though. he was a welterweight at the olympics then turned pro at middle.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I can't even really explain how pumped I am for tonight. This is gonna be really good. And I guarantee Bernard loving Hopkins will steal the show somehow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Vargas Novikov is a pretty nice little fight so far.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I kind of really like how little output there is from Larry Merchant and the Colonel or whatever in contrast to this really well paced fight.

And the nutshot wakes everynbody up.

Merchant just sold Viktor Postol and he didn't even know his name. Neither did I apparently.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 3, 2014

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Grittybeard posted:

Vargas Novikov is a pretty nice little fight so far.

I understand that Novikov is not necessarily a power puncher, but that doesn't mean Vargas should be this sloppy. What the hell...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

balancedbias posted:

I understand that Novikov is not necessarily a power puncher, but that doesn't mean Vargas should be this sloppy. What the hell...

Yeah I'm guessing Novikov has no chance of winning but I kind of like what he's doing more tonight. If anyone's been hurt it's him though.

Uh...could they really not find the doctor?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
is daniel jacobs / jarrod fletcher being televised? if so is anyone watching it?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

:lol: as always with scores :allears:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha those scores. Whatever, a Vargas decision is fine even if it was decided beforehand.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think I've seen her ref before but Sparkle Lee always kind of surprises me. More power to her if she can do the job.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Mosely/Jones right out of my create a character.

That is a Legacy win.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

:laffo: already more interesting than expected.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
That jab to the body again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
loving ouch. Over already?

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
That dude is like a child.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wonder what it is BHop sees in Kovalev that he went for the fight? Because he seems loving terrifying every time I see him.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
HBO is on the loving ball tonight.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder what it is BHop sees in Kovalev that he went for the fight? Because he seems loving terrifying every time I see him.

Because he is unrefined. Of course that could backfire badly because Kovalev may walk through everything and land the type of punches to end it quickly without regard to strategy. I'm actually excited about it.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

balancedbias posted:

Because he is unrefined. Of course that could backfire badly because Kovalev may walk through everything and land the type of punches to end it quickly without regard to strategy. I'm actually excited about it.

I'm really excited to see it too. Kovalev may be unrefined, but he's a gently caress of a lot better than Karo Murat or Beibut Shumenov.

The best part of this is Adonis Stevenson getting pushed to the side.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
What are the odds on Blake C?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What is Rios's connection with KC? Or what does KC stand for if it isn't Kansas City?

e: Ok Lampley answered, I had no idea he was from Garden City.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Rios-Chaves already owns as expected.

Also, that chick in the black in Chaves's corner :pervert:

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I don't know who will win this fight, but I do know the loser will get knocked the gently caress out, if this continues.

This is great.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Did I just hear an "AYYYYYYYYYYY PUUUUTOOOOO!" come from the crowd in this Rios/Chaves fight, like it was a Mexican football match?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wow that seems a little quick.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Wow that seems a little quick.

Rios just got a final warning for hitting after the ref called to break, so it seems a make-up call might be in the offing.

e: And there it is for the takedown.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 3, 2014

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Troy Queef posted:

Rios just got a final warning for hitting after the ref called to break, so it seems a make-up call might be in the offing.

There it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

Troy Queef posted:

like it was a Mexican football match?

• Locked thread