Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I would say that is completely untrue since you know Guardians of the Galaxy came out.

I wasn't saying it was the only good Marvel movie - if anything, I think Cap 2 is even better - but that it had a certain loose, semi-improvisational, lived-in feel that many of the others have tried for but none have captured.

I also haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah Shane Black is a really good director, I dunno how you could watch IM3 and not like it to some degree. It mixed just the right amount of humor and action.

I thought it was better than the previous 2.

I'm just glad we got a true to it's core genuine Space Opera.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't enjoy the Marvel movies much at all but I watched Winter Soldier last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wasn't saying it was the only good Marvel movie - if anything, I think Cap 2 is even better - but that it had a certain loose, semi-improvisational, lived-in feel that many of the others have tried for but none have captured.

This is a great summary of why.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Box Office Mojo has GotG at $91mil for its 3 day total. It will surpass Iron Man and Cap 2 today to be at least the 4th highest weekend for a Marvel film. With a strong Sunday, it could easily slip into the top 15 of all time for an opening weekend.

edit: I still don't understand box office numbers. So that $91mil includes an estimated 20% drop for Sunday (and doesn't include Thursday's numbers?). Thursday numbers are apparently rolled into Friday... because...

edit2: I accidentally removed my criticism of WB: "Meanwhile, over at Warner Brothers..."

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 3, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Box Office Mojo has GotG at $91mil for its 3 day total. It will surpass Iron Man and Cap 2 today to be at least the 4th highest weekend for a Marvel film. With a strong Sunday, it could easily slip into the top 15 of all time for an opening weekend.

Meanwhile, over at Warner Brothers...

Posts like this are why people think any criticism of Marvel films are "Marvel v DC" nonsense.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Meanwhile, over at Warner Brothers...

It's really unfair to compare a small upstart company like Warner Brothers to Marvel studies. Especially since they only have the rights to a few obscure comic proprieties.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

computer parts posted:

Posts like this are why people think any criticism of Marvel films are "Marvel v DC" nonsense.

I think it's a fair point, Marvel made a relatively unknown property a huge hit, whereas DC has failed with some of their more well known faces, (GL), and is afraid to give a standalone film to some of their other characters at all. It's a fair point to be made, in this case, I think.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

DNS posted:

Guardians is all but guaranteed to do well at this point, IMO. Audiences are responding to the trailer and they're going to be thirsty for More Marvel by the end of the summer. The main question is how well it does - it could be anywhere from a modest, well liked success with room for growth (a Batman Begins) to a runaway hit like The Winter Soldier.

:freakfuta:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think it's a fair point, Marvel made a relatively unknown property a huge hit, whereas DC has failed with some of their more well known faces, (GL), and is afraid to give a standalone film to some of their other characters at all. It's a fair point to be made, in this case, I think.

Marvel films crush the box office like this.

DC films...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rhyno posted:

Marvel films crush the box office like this.

DC films...

DC's had basically one flop, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

morestuff posted:

DC's had basically one flop, right?

DC's had what, six films in the last decade? How many Marvel properties have been on screen this year, three?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rhyno posted:

DC's had what, six films in the last decade? How many Marvel properties have been on screen this year, three?

That wasn't really the point you were making, though. All these movies are killing the box office, with one or two exceptions.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Marvel are the Beatles, DC is a hamburger.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

To be fair to WB, Batman is the only one of DC's well-known characters that has an interesting hook. Marvel's style of more human characters makes it a much better fit for goofy, crowd-pleasing blockbusters. Man of Steel being up there with Hulk in quality is impressive given how much lousier a character Superman is to start with.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

It's really unfair to compare a small upstart company like Warner Brothers to Marvel studies. Especially since they only have the rights to a few obscure comic proprieties.

You've pointed out a major issue. Marvel is a studio set up to make superhero movies. Warner Brothers is a huge studio and really doesn't need DC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

morestuff posted:

That wasn't really the point you were making, though. All these movies are killing the box office, with one or two exceptions.

When you have six films in 10 years a single flop is a big deal. Especially when compared to the what, Twenty+ Marvel films across the various studios.

Maybe DC should farm out some of their properties to studios who actually want to make decent films.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Maybe DC should farm out some of their properties to studios who actually want to make decent films.

This doesn't make a lot of sense in a world in which Disney/Marvel made Iron Man 2, Sony made The Amazing Spider-Man, and WB/DC made The Dark Knight.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It also wouldn't make sense because then how would you get them all back for your huge team-up movie?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

This doesn't make a lot of sense in a world in which Disney/Marvel made Iron Man 2, Sony made The Amazing Spider-Man, and WB/DC made The Dark Knight.

DC's library is every bit as vast as Marvel's and they are dragging their feet. I'd love to see what would happen if they tossed some of their horror characters to the guys making the PA films. Or pull Sgt Rock out and let somebody take a crack at a period piece film. With Marvel we've seen some pretty great stuff come along outside of Marvel's direct control.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DC seems to be more interested in TV for their smaller characters (anyone not named Superman or Batman). Which leads me to what I've been saying forever. Doctor Who is the most popular scifi show out there right now. DC needs to get off their asses and make a Booster Gold TV show already.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

With Marvel we've seen some pretty great stuff come along outside of Marvel's direct control.

Sure, we've seen better stuff come along outside of Marvel's direct control. I was responding to the nonsensical "actually want to make decent films" bit. That said, are there any DC characters that aren't likely to show up in the new DC film universe that are also prominent enough that there'd be a point in licensing them?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

In this Car Avengers Shot of the Day, the heroic Acura Rox stays back to guard the perimeter while Cap and the assassins race for Stark Tower.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, we've seen better stuff come along outside of Marvel's direct control. I was responding to the nonsensical "actually want to make decent films" bit. That said, are there any DC characters that aren't likely to show up in the new DC film universe that are also prominent enough that there'd be a point in licensing them?

Swamp Thing, the Spectre and Animal Man would make amazing horror films and I doubt any will ever show up in the new DCCU.

I'd actually forgotten about Jonah Hex (so seven films I guess) but that just shows how capable they are of mishandling their own properties.

I would love to see a Sgt Rock and Easy Company film complete with cameos by Enemy Ace, the Haunted Tank and GI Robot.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

DC seems to be more interested in TV for their smaller characters (anyone not named Superman or Batman). Which leads me to what I've been saying forever. Doctor Who is the most popular scifi show out there right now. DC needs to get off their asses and make a Booster Gold TV show already.

There was one being considered for the Sci Fi (is it SyFy now?) Channel. Don't know what happened to that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In this Car Avengers Shot of the Day, the heroic Acura Rox stays back to guard the perimeter while Cap and the assassins race for Stark Tower.

To be fair, with the Acura RDX's patented All-Wheel Drive with Intelligent Control and AcuraLink Navigation Functionality, Jarvis may well have taken control of that vehicle.

Rhyno posted:

Swamp Thing, the Spectre and Animal Man would make amazing horror films and I doubt any will ever show up in the new DCCU.

I'm not familiar with the latter two, but I'd forgotten about Swamp Thing. They might want to keep him around for the Constantine TV show, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is a good point - Marvel's TV output has been pretty bad, and DC seems to think that the TV style is much more natural for a comic book character.

To be fair this could just be paid advertising.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'd actually forgotten about Jonah Hex (so seven films I guess) but that just shows how capable they are of mishandling their own properties.

I would love to see a Sgt Rock and Easy Company film complete with cameos by Enemy Ace, the Haunted Tank and GI Robot.

Guillermo del Toro has dibs on Swamp Thing if he ever gets around to making his Dark Universe movie. Spectre is showing up in Constantine.

Jonah Hex was such a baffling dissappointment. All they had to do was make a gritty Western and they couldn't even manage that.

Knight Boat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 3, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

computer parts posted:

This is a good point - Marvel's TV output has been pretty bad, and DC seems to think that the TV style is much more natural for a comic book character.

This is teeball-level setting up the joke.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Knight Boat posted:

Guillermo del Toro has dibs on Swamp Thing if he ever gets around to making his Dark Universe movie. Spectre is showing up in Constantine.

Jonah Hex was such a baffling dissappointment. All they had to do was make a gritty Western and they couldn't even manage that.

My favorite part of Jonah Hex was that the plot revolved around dragon balls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Knight Boat posted:

Didn't DC say the JLD movie was not happening and never really was? And DC just confirmed a week or so ago that the film and tv universes will not crossover and we'll no doubt have a tv and film Flash running around at the same time unless the show is a turd.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Didn't DC say the JLD movie was not happening and never really was? And DC just confirmed a week or so ago that the film and tv universes will not crossover and we'll no doubt have a tv and film Flash running around at the same time unless the show is a turd.

Last week del Toro said he is still working on it and was told not to worry about the TV shows since they don't crossover. He is still "working" on a lot of things so who knows what will happen there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Knight Boat posted:

Last week del Toro said he is still working on it and was told not to worry about the TV shows since they don't crossover. He is still "working" on a lot of things so who knows what will happen there.

Yeah DT's said a lot of things though. Like Hellboy 3 and Pacific Rim 2 are totally happening and junk.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

There is something going on in this shot actually - the very prominent MetLife building logo is gone and in its place, high above it is Stark Tower. The placement isn't accidental (this is where the Marvel HQ office is in real life, roughly), nothing should lead your eye away from Stark Tower. Well other than the Acura logo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is something going on in this shot actually - the very prominent MetLife building logo is gone and in its place, high above it is Stark Tower. The placement isn't accidental (this is where the Marvel HQ office is in real life, roughly), nothing should lead your eye away from Stark Tower. Well other than the Acura logo.

In the MCU Stark probably bought Honda Motor Corps and renamed the Acura brand Avengers Motor Cars so the placement of that A gets a pass.

Or it's just a bad shot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

computer parts posted:

To be fair this could just be paid advertising.

It undoubtedly is, but that's no excuse.

Going back to Man Of Steel, SEARS appears in the background most prominently when Superman's getting the tar beat out of him - especially prominent in a close-up of the evil Faora. At this point, it functions as a pun: to scorch and burn. (Hell, IHOP works as a pun as well. Dorky Pete isn't going to leap any tall buildings, yet he inspires Kal's bumbling Clark Kent persona).

I designated that a Car Avengers Shot of the Day because it's actually a pretty good shot of a car, with some screaming people in the background. It'd fit right in as a gag shot in Transformers 3. It's arguably the best shot in the film!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Are they not in the car? I see Hawkeye on the left there - is that Cap ahead of him?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It undoubtedly is, but that's no excuse.

Going back to Man Of Steel, SEARS appears in the background most prominently when Superman's getting the tar beat out of him - especially prominent in a close-up of the evil Faora. At this point, it functions as a pun: to scorch and burn. (Hell, IHOP works as a pun as well. Dorky Pete isn't going to leap any tall buildings, yet he inspires Kal's bumbling Clark Kent persona).

Acura was already the official vehicle of the MCU so it's not shocking to see them prominently in a shot.

SEARS fronted a ton of cash to be in MoS and there was even a Superman comic available only at your local SEARS better run out and get it kids!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

SEARS fronted a ton of cash to be in MoS and there was even a Superman comic available only at your local SEARS better run out and get it kids!

It's even better, it's a traced All Star Superman panel that relocates the action from flying in the sun's orbit to flying over Sears.

Sears and IHOP are like a sick joke, Sears is the most pathetic of commercial institutions, a brand that doesn't know it's dead, and IHOP is a cheesy faux diner that demarcates cookie-cutter exurbia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 3, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's even better, it's a traced All Star Superman panel that relocates the action from flying in the sun's orbit to flying over Sears.

Oh I know. I own several copies.

Don't you loving judge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Are they not in the car?

Haha, of course not! The car is set dressing. The heroes run past and around it on their way to the tower.

• Locked thread