Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, at least it's probably more likely than a single woman president.

edit: How will people be able to get the important answers if she doesn't even HAVE a family?

We actually had this in Australia. Gillard was an unwed, childless woman and the Murdoch press made that onion article seem quaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Gyges posted:

I don't know, but if strippers are part of the compensation package for representatives you'd think there'd be fewer uncontested elections.

Full-nude or banana-hammocks?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

fade5 posted:

Yes. Welcome to 2014 American Politics, please enjoy the fact the US has vast amounts of influence all over the world, almost certainly including wherever you live. I would advise you to report to the chat thread for drink suggestions.

Sadly I don't drink all that much but I've found out that weed does the trick as well.

fade5 posted:

Oh wait hey, you're DarkCrawler, you're the one who gave me (and others) a crash course on the history of I/P conflict in the previous I/P threads; you're already familiar with the feeling of existential horror and sadness that comes from watching I/P literal slaughters happening in real-time. Also seriously thanks for your effortposts on I/P, I can follow the current horrors much better now.

:smith::hf::smith:

Thanks, good to know someone reads 'em.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

downout posted:

This has to be the best bullshit I heard from everyone around me. "Oh, it's to early to have a black president". "He'll never be president because .. " lovely reasons follow. (Reasons being that the person saying it was a racist rear end in a top hat.) It certainly makes me more interested in volunteering for Democratic GOTV movements. Something I've never gave much of a care about in the past.

There was plenty of a similar sentiment from Obama's own supporters, even up until election night, because so many of us expected the country was exactly racist enough to allow a black candidate to legitimately run while at no time in the near future allowing them to win. Even with how horrible McCain was as opposition! There are strains of a related sentiment after it became clear that a black president wasn't some unrealistic cure-all, so now that it's happened maybe stuff like that isn't such a big deal to get worked up over. Hopefully the Republicans can implode from insanity faster than Democrats implode from apathy. Granted, I'm probably overly pessimistic, but give me a break, I'm a Kansas liberal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I know a Cuban guy who once told me that "America needs to have a white president because too many people just refuse to work with a black president."

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

JT Jag posted:

I know a Cuban guy who once told me that "America needs to have a white president because too many people just refuse to work with a black president."

Well you can bet in the McCain / Romney alternate reality they managed to pass and sign more legislation over the past 5 years.

Edit: I'm not endorsing that it would be good legislation, I'm just saying the allegation may hold some water.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 3, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nintendo Kid posted:

it's hard to see anyone lasting until age 50 and not getting a long term relationship in that time on the way to president.

Goons?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DOOP posted:

Goons?

Senate seat at best.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DOOP posted:

Goons?

None of us are electable past like dogcatcher.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Look, all I'm saying here is that if he's gay, and I have a butt hole he might want to get in it. And I, infact, do have a butt hole.
Until a gay candidate gives me his personal assurances about my butt I don't think I can trust him.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

HootTheOwl posted:

Look, all I'm saying here is that if he's gay, and I have a butt hole he might want to get in it. And I, infact, do have a butt hole.
Until a gay candidate gives me his personal assurances about my butt I don't think I can trust him.

"I will personally make love to your rear end in a top hat" seems like sort of a strange policy plank but whatever floats your boat. :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Robviously posted:

"I will personally make love to your rear end in a top hat" seems like sort of a strange policy plank but whatever floats your boat. :v:

When you're all caught with your pants down because suddenly marriage is gay only, you'll wish you took your butt holes more seriously!

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

HootTheOwl posted:

I put a lot of effort into my body. I can't vote for a candidate who likes butts but doesn't think mine is good enough. But I can't vote for a male candidate who likes my butt. This is quite the quandary. Maybe I should just stay home this election.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Senate seat at best.

I'd be amazed if any of us got that far. I think State Senate is as good as anyone here could get before someone uncovered that they used to make a bunch of posts ironically calling people faggots or posting death to america in response to Bush getting elected or this:

And that's maybe the mildest of 911 joke edits, good luck getting over those hurdles.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
I just want a President who likes me for who I am.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

I'd be amazed if any of us got that far. I think State Senate is as good as anyone here could get before someone uncovered that they used to make a bunch of posts ironically calling people faggots or posting death to america in response to Bush getting elected or this:

And that's maybe the mildest of 911 joke edits, good luck getting over those hurdles.

That'd play nicely with the 9/11 hoax crowd though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Robviously posted:

Thai food is amazing and this is coming from a guy with a peanut recipe. My local place is one of two places near me that understand "can you make it hot?" is actually code for "I enjoy making terrible life choices."

I don't understand why people want food so spicy. It's nice to have a bit of spice but past a point it just overpowers the rest of the food and you might as well just be eating pure peppers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Some people just like hot for the sake of dick-waving hot, but Thai cuisine knows how to make stuff super hot with flavor.

Your palate must be trained like this horse is training :horse:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

SedanChair posted:

Some people just like hot for the sake of dick-waving hot, but Thai cuisine knows how to make stuff super hot with flavor.

Your palate must be trained like this horse is training :horse:

Not to GWS :spergin: but hot food done right, which isn't done often, makes your mouth explode with flavors you didn't know existed. It's not just about heat, that's a portion of it, but this guy gets that spicy is just another layer that needs to be explored in food to get a well rounded meal.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

A pretty fair chunk of these forums didn't actually post 9/11 jokes...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jackson Taus posted:

A pretty fair chunk of these forums didn't actually post 9/11 jokes...

Are you trying to argue that Goons aren't gross and unelectable?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Wubbles posted:

I just want a President who likes me for who I am.

Me too

http://i.imgur.com/eBK8ZQG.gif

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I don't know what you're all worried about, it's not like search is ever going to work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don't know what you're all worried about, it's not like search is ever going to work.

The Library of Congress is archiving all of SA, including the actual archives, and it'll all be searchable there.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeroisanumber posted:

Are you trying to argue that Goons aren't gross and unelectable?

Some of us have been elected before.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Library of Congress is archiving all of SA, including the actual archives, and it'll all be searchable there.

Now I know you're lying.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Some of us have been elected before.

Insert "Arkane-is-Jon-Huntsman" joke here.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Now I know you're lying.

http://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2014/06/getting-serious-about-collecting-and-preserving-digital-culture/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Making SA searchable and they're crawling a site for bronies? Clearly a late April Fools joke.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

effectual posted:

I don't understand why people want food so spicy. It's nice to have a bit of spice but past a point it just overpowers the rest of the food and you might as well just be eating pure peppers.

I don't know if it's my chronically stuffy nasal passages or what but food that's practically inedible for most people just tastes like it has a mild kick to me, so I have to order my thai food "extra extra extra hot!" and then it will be just sort of spicy. That and I live in MN where many people like their food as bland as humanly possible.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 3, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Making SA searchable and they're crawling a site for bronies? Clearly a late April Fools joke.

Oh SA won't be searchable here. Just at LOC facilities.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Goddamnit.

At least the Star Wars 9/11 thread will be preserved for future generations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Goddamnit.

At least the Star Wars 9/11 thread will be preserved for future generations.

And they say government can't do anything right. :911:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mo_Steel posted:

It's going to be so great in 20 years when there isn't a single candidate in any race anywhere who doesn't have a trail of dumb forum/social media poo poo following them around.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

It's going to be so great in 20 years when there isn't a single candidate in any race anywhere who doesn't have a trail of dumb forum/social media poo poo following them around.

*concerned mom voiceover*

"Sarah Williamson says she wants to help the poor, but if she were really concerned about the poor why did she spend so much time in college... twerking!

*smash cuts of twerking vines*

"West Virginians can't afford a Senator who spends all her time twerking instead of working."

GET YOUR 'WORKING, NOT TWERKING' BUMPER STICKER FOR $9.95

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Aren't forums somewhat down in activity since the 90s?

Of course, fandom poo poo is still alive and kicking, but general chat.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fortunately, though most of us here have probably left enough of a crumb trail over the years to lead back to our real identities if someone really wanted to go full detective, the reverse isn't necessarily true. So future electoral prospects might be safe as long as your horrible, easily misconstrued posts were limited to a place like this, and not, say, all over facebook under your real identity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ReidRansom posted:

Fortunately, though most of us here have probably left enough of a crumb trail over the years to lead back to our real identities if someone really wanted to go full detective, the reverse isn't necessarily true. So future electoral prospects might be safe as long as your horrible, easily misconstrued posts were limited to a place like this, and not, say, all over facebook under your real identity.
I go by JT Jag literally everywhere online, so I'm hosed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I share a real name with a prominent right-wing shithead, so I couldn't get into politics even if I wanted to (but at least the real me is really hard to google).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I go by JT Jag literally everywhere online, so I'm hosed.

If you have a lot of friends and acquaintances that know your real identity and your online one, then yes, yes you probably are. Still, it's far easier for someone outside your immediate circle to work their way from JT Jag -> you than it is from you -> JT Jag, generally.

• Locked thread