Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Also note that you people looking for villain exposition...the real villain had a whole scene of exposition/explanation. Again, the gem.

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:psyduck:

The orb is not the villain of this movie, and if it was, it was an even worse villain than Ronan.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

:psyduck:

The orb is not the villain of this movie, and if it was, it was an even worse villain than Ronan.

Hah, it is though. Ronan is just a dude trying to harness it. ANYONE using it would have been "the villain."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Please make note. When Thanos has all the gems the gems are the villain. When Cap has all the gems they will be the hero.

This is an interesting piece of buttsex where the tool and object are the protagonist and antagonist and the characters are just sort of there. Like the mac guff ins in like Indy Jones.

Also if anyone could have been...then the villain is not memorable. That is bad.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Hah, it is though. Ronan is just a dude trying to harness it. ANYONE using it would have been "the villain."

I think that's the complaint.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
When they talked about a group of people trying to utilize the gems, is that a reference to something?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Death Star is not the villain of Star Wars.

You're right...it's almost like...these are two different movies! And use things in functionally different ways!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

Please make note. When Thanos has all the gems the gems are the villain. When Cap has all the gems they will be the hero.

This is an interesting piece of buttsex where the tool and object are the protagonist and antagonist and the characters are just sort of there. Like the mac guff ins in like Indy Jones.

Also if anyone could have been...then the villain is not memorable. That is bad.

Eh. Not really. I don't buy the whole "The Hero is only as good as his villain!" nonsense people use. Sometimes the hero just drat good and awesome and the villain is just an rear end in a top hat. And that's OK. Ronan was 100% dick. And the heroes were not.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

1) Ronan and his followers do dress in black. Ronan dresses almost the same as a Sith, and his followers are necro. loving undead. Pretty universal sign of evil.

2) They are not called an empire because they are not. Ronan represents a sect of fanatics. It's not the same as the Empire, and that's OK. It doesn't mean it's necessarily less evil. This is a fanatic so dangerous he'll gently caress with his own people as well as others. Pretty scary.
I'm not saying they need to be the same as the Empire from Star Wars. I'm saying that Star Wars uses a lot of shortcuts to get you to understand the Empire's deal while not really showing a large scope of the Empire and that universe. I don't think that they accomplished this with Ronan. I don't get a sense of who he is beyond being a bad guy. And they say he's a religious fanatic, but I don't even know what that means in this context.

quote:

3) His ship is bigger, too. Remember when a whole army had to band together to blockade it then he loving murdered all of them by breaking through it and incinerating them? Yeah, remember when all those soldiers died and a cities attempt to stop a single ship was wiped away while the city below fled in terror? Probably something their grandkids will talk about for a long time.
The ship in Star Wars makes a statement about the power of the Empire. It's not just about having a bigger ship, it's about the implication that they have more than the rebels. Ronan's ship is powerful, that's cool, but that also confuses things. Ronan as presented, shouldn't have a ship that can easily dispose of the Novas. The whole reason he was asking Thanos for help is because he couldn't reach his goals on his own. That's why it should be a big deal when he decided to take the gem for himself. He's a violent fanatic who now has godlike powers. I really don't get the scale he is operating on.

Either way, you don't set up stakes in act 3. You pay them off.

quote:

5) Wether you can be self aware enough to admit it or not, you have decades of Star Wars backstory and 2+ other movies +EU stuff to kind of flesh out your knowledge. It's impossible to separate.
I don't even know what you're arguing. Is GotG excused for some storytelling issues because I've only seen it once or are you arguing that my Star Wars examples are ineffective? For reference, I don't read EU stuff.

quote:

6) Feel free to ask any 8 year old who has seen the movie. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to tell you who the bad guy is.
It's not a matter of comprehension, it's a matter of engagement and deeper understanding.

quote:

Ronan does not have the reach that the Empire has. He doesn't have to, he's a different kind of danger and evil. He's not a government/systematic force, he's a chaotic zealot.
You're misreading my points. I'm not saying that he needs to be the same as the Emperor. I'm saying you can economically establish your villains. Ronan is a bit boring as is.

quote:

Thanos doesn't need to be more fleshed out. See the Emperor in A New Hope/OT. He's a loving mean dude who sits in a chair. Seems pretty similar to Thanos, actually.
Once again, not saying he needs to be. I am saying that everything in your film should be very purposeful. You're right about the Emperor in the OT. You never learn more than you need to do about that character which is awesome.

The problem I'm having is that Thanos only really exists in this film to tease his appearances in other films. This easily could have been a movie about Ronan stealing the gem and any references to Thanos could be limited to Gamora's backstory. He seems superfluous.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 3, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

You're right...it's almost like...these are two different movies! And use things in functionally different ways!

The GotG final confrontation is much more directly against Ronan (they actually kill him and his defeat is the moment of triumph) than the Star Wars finale is against Vader or the Emperor. So, yes, they're different movies in that it's even more ridiculous to call the gem the villain of GotG than the Death Star the villain of Star Wars. It's transparently a dodge to avoid addressing Ronan being a bit dull.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Ronan was awesome.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Gatts posted:

The gem is the villain and it is very memorable. Ronan is not some iconic villain and he didn't HAVE to be. It's not what the movie was trying to show. The movie wasn't like "Hey check out this villain Ronan we want him to haunt your dreams and be some iconic Vadery dude!"

What it said, and very successfully, if you could see the forest through the trees, was "Hey, check out this gem. It's loving powerful and if anyone uses it they'll loving kill poo poo, especially if they have bad intentions."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Eh. Not really. I don't buy the whole "The Hero is only as good as his villain!" nonsense people use. Sometimes the hero just drat good and awesome and the villain is just an rear end in a top hat. And that's OK. Ronan was 100% dick. And the heroes were not.

The point is to have great and strong characters and a memorable experience. The hero being more complex and interesting and explored can make sense but let's make effort all the way around. poo poo look at how nerds spooge all over Batman and his retarded rear end rogues gallery.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

The problem I'm having is that Thanos only really exists in this film to tease his appearances in other films. This easily could have been a movie about Ronan stealing the gem and any references to Thanos could be limited to Gamora's backstory. He seems superfluous.

Once again, your problem is thinking of any of these films as a stand alone thing. They aren't that, and are never going to be that. You HAVE to think of the broader context of what they are doing here, and that includes the fact that setting up Thanos is important to the series as a whole, even if he isn't a critical part of this film alone.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Death Star is not the villain of Star Wars.

I'm sure there's an essay about how the Death Star is actually the capitalist system perfected, and the Empire merely exists in its framework.

e: VVV :v:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 3, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm sure there's an essay about how the Death Star is actually the capitalist system which functions as a framework for the Empire.

It's a highly meaningful object, but it's just an object. It can't be a villain anymore than the Ark of the Covenant can be the hero of Raiders of the Lost Ark, despite defeating the villains at the end.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bigperm posted:

Ronan was awesome.
I do love the part where he decides to take the gem and starts talking smack against Thanos because it reminded me of an old wrestling promo.

TheJoker138 posted:

Once again, your problem is thinking of any of these films as a stand alone thing. They aren't that, and are never going to be that. You HAVE to think of the broader context of what they are doing here, and that includes the fact that setting up Thanos is important to the series as a whole, even if he isn't a critical part of this film alone.
I just don't understand what he's setting up. Having the gem wreck poo poo is setting things up. It's telling the audience how powerful the gems are. It can now act as a good reference point for future films. Thanos's presence in this movie doesn't set anything up, it just teases that there's eventually going to be a Thanos movie.

I think it's a safe bet that in GotG 2 or Avengers 3 or Infinity Gauntlet or whenever they pay this stuff off, they are going to reestablish that Thanos wants to do something with the infinity gems. So, what does his existence in this film accomplish?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't think that they accomplished this with Ronan. I don't get a sense of who he is beyond being a bad guy.

And, I guess we just disagree fundamentally, because my point is, that's all you the sense you needed to get. He's a bad guy. Any more fleshing out would have been wasted because he was just a conduit for the Real Evil in the movie, the gem.

Upon re-watching, I'm almost positive they flat out tell you everything about Ronan in his opening line, that's all the backstory you get and, in my opinion, all the backstory you need for the role he serves in this film. I don't remember it verbatim but it's something like, "This is a religious fanatic who has betrayed a treaty and now he's going to murder someone in cold blood."

I mean, I'm sorry if you liked Ronan a lot and wished you got to found out more about this cool character you liked, but it just...wasn't needed for the movie. It wasn't necessary for his role/part in the plot. He was just used to show what would happen if the gem was put in the wrong hands (and almost ANY hands, as the slave girl shows).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think it's a safe bet that in GotG 2 or Avengers 3 or Infinity Gauntlet or whenever they pay this stuff off, they are going to reestablish that Thanos wants to do something with the infinity gems. So, what does his existence in this film accomplish?

It establishes him now. Even if they do reestablish him later putting him in this gets people talking and thinking about him. It's the same reason that any of the interconnected small things happen. It's the same reason he was at the end of Avengers or that Fury was at the end of Iron Man. It not only hints at events to come, but gets people asking "who was that guy?" and then all their nerdy friends answer, and it puts him into the public awareness.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

gohmak posted:

Nothing goes over your head, your reflexes must be really quick. I missed the Rocket follow up line due to laughter. If he did in fact say that then I will admit I could have misinterpreted.

I like your approach, keep on it. If he did in fact say that (he did), I could have misinterpreted it (you did). Lets not mention that even without Rockets follow-up line it is so incredibly obvious that the 4 year old sitting next to me understood Rocket was making fun of Drax and being insensitive, and Groot was shocked.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I actually thought Thanos was fine. He comes across as a weirdo space power, which sure enough is what he is.

I mean, I'm sorry if you liked Ronan a lot and wished you got to found out more about this cool character you liked, but it just...wasn't needed for the movie. It wasn't necessary for his role/part in the plot. He was just used to show what would happen if the gem was put in the wrong hands (and almost ANY hands, as the slave girl shows).

There's nothing that's "needed" in a movie, nothing that's "necessary." It's not a functional product. We're talking about a failure to reach maximum potential, not whether or not the character was baseline acceptable for the meager role that was asked of it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What purpose did seeing the Emperor serve? It's just a loving foreboding creepy dude people seem to fear. It's not a standalone movie, it gets you asking questions and wets your curiostiy for the many, many movies that are coming down the pipeline. Just like how we knew there was an episode V coming, we know we haven't seen the last of Thanos and he was just there to get us wondering.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think its supposed to show that there are larger forces at work in the universe, and Ronan and he gems are just part of a much bigger game.

I don't think it does that particularly well, but I think it works.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

It establishes him now. Even if they do reestablish him later putting him in this gets people talking and thinking about him. It's the same reason that any of the interconnected small things happen. It's the same reason he was at the end of Avengers or that Fury was at the end of Iron Man. It not only hints at events to come, but gets people asking "who was that guy?" and then all their nerdy friends answer, and it puts him into the public awareness.
Yes, but there was a reason those two examples you gave don't happen in the films proper and are left for the credits. They're not really a part of the story. If something isn't actively serving your story in some meaningful way then it shouldn't be in your story.

And, I guess we just disagree fundamentally, because my point is, that's all you the sense you needed to get. He's a bad guy. Any more fleshing out would have been wasted because he was just a conduit for the Real Evil in the movie, the gem.

Upon re-watching, I'm almost positive they flat out tell you everything about Ronan in his opening line, that's all the backstory you get and, in my opinion, all the backstory you need for the role he serves in this film. I don't remember it verbatim but it's something like, "This is a religious fanatic who has betrayed a treaty and now he's going to murder someone in cold blood."

It's not that I like Ronan, it's just that I want to fully understand the stakes of the movie. As is, he gives a good spine for one-liners and the crew getting together. Fine, but I would have enjoyed the movie more if he was a more engaging character and I better understood him.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

I actually thought Thanos was fine. He comes across as a weirdo space power, which sure enough is what he is.

There's nothing that's "needed" in a movie, nothing that's "necessary." It's not a functional product. We're talking about a failure to reach maximum potential, not whether or not the character was baseline acceptable for the meager role that was asked of it.

Actually, yeah, whether you are actively aware of it or not all (good) movies follow a certain structure and anyone knowledgable can point to these points and say "This is why this works" or vice versa.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Actually, yeah, whether you are actively aware of it or not all (good) movies follow a certain structure and anyone knowledgable can point to these points and say "This is why this works" or vice versa.

There is no established structure for which there is not some great movie that doesn't feature it. Which is really beside the point: Ronan doesn't need to be more defined because the movie still turned out pretty good. It just could have been better. It's weird that this has somehow become a controversial claim.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes, but there was a reason those two examples you gave don't happen in the films proper and are left for the credits. They're not really a part of the story. If something isn't actively serving your story in some meaningful way then it shouldn't be in your story.

In this film his presence actually does what you're complaining about with Ronan, it establishes him. In the first scene he shows up Ronan is angry and petulant, but Thanos doesn't give a single gently caress, and sends Ronan packing with his tail between his legs. This shows that Thanos is a big bad rear end and isn't intimidated at all. Then Ronan gets the gem and all of a sudden even Thanos is taken aback because of the amount of power he now has. Thanos helps build up Ronan and the gem, and the movie would be less without him and those scenes.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not that I like Ronan, it's just that I want to fully understand the stakes of the movie. As is, he gives a good spine for one-liners and the crew getting together. Fine, but I would have enjoyed the movie more if he was a more engaging character and I better understood him.

The stakes of the movie are explained to you in the scene with the Collector when he literally shows you a tutorial video on How loving Bad This poo poo Could Be starring the main villain of the movie, the gem.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

He's also the reason Gamora and Nebula are with Ronan in the first place, which was important to the story.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Who's this piemaker people keep talking about? This was the first thing I ever saw Lee Pace in:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

There is no established structure for which there is not some great movie that doesn't feature it. Which is really beside the point: Ronan doesn't need to be more defined because the movie still turned out pretty good. It just could have been better. It's weird that this has somehow become a controversial claim.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I feel that he was as defined as he needed to be for his role/service in the film. He was going to die. He was a tool. I don't need to hear the story of my screw driver and know about the factory it came from and its conditions therein. It's a loving screwdriver. And I guess that's what I wish you saw Ronan for, because that's all he was. A tool to showcase the power of the gem.

I mean, I enjoy arguing/discussion, which is in the title of this sub forum.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Who's this piemaker people keep talking about? This was the first thing I ever saw Lee Pace in:

Huh, apparently that is in fact Lee Pace.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 3, 2014

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

mikeraskol posted:

I like your approach, keep on it. If he did in fact say that (he did), I could have misinterpreted it (you did). Lets not mention that even without Rockets follow-up line it is so incredibly obvious that the 4 year old sitting next to me understood Rocket was making fun of Drax and being insensitive, and Groot was shocked.

Yes, lets argue semantics and how if the line wasn't in the actual movie it wouldn't have altered intent. Groots reaction was funny, most people thought Groot was taking Rocket literally due to that being a reoccurring theme in the movie with all characters misunderstanding analogies and all. If the audiences laughter was misplaced then that was a failure/unintended success of the script?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Rocket was mocking Drax. He was not saying, "My wife and child died also, get over it." You can all stop talking about that, now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

gohmak posted:

Yes, lets argue semantics and how if the line wasn't in the actual movie it wouldn't have altered intent. Groots reaction was funny, most people thought Groot was taking Rocket literally due to that being a reoccurring theme in the movie with all characters misunderstanding analogies and all. If the audiences laughter was misplaced then that was a failure/unintended success of the script?

No they didn't. You are tone deaf. Rocket is very clearly mocking Drax, and Groot is very clearly gasping in a "I can't believe you just said that" way at Rocket. Even if you don't hear the line after it it's very obvious to everyone else, and it's still funny.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

He's also the reason Gamora and Nebula are with Ronan in the first place, which was important to the story.
I actually felt Nebula was pretty weak even if I really loved the design and think the actress did a good job. Her whole story with Gamora didn't really do much for me.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

The Biggest Jerk posted:

When they talked about a group of people trying to utilize the gems, is that a reference to something?

I figured it was just foreshadowing for the film's ending when the heroes essentially utilise it as a group.

Lipset and Rock On fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 3, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
All this talk of Ronin and Thanos but I'm serious John C. Reiley's character literally literally shows you a chart on how everyone is connected and relevant.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Korath should have been blue. Would have gone a long way to establish that all the Kree are shitwads and Ronan is just the uncontrollable pure strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I might have missed this, but was The Collector gathering the gems for himself, or is he working for Thanos?

I'm so giddy about what this all means for the eventual MCU. I personally feel like all the movies in Phase 2 have really kicked it up a notch in quality (I didn't really care for Thor 2, but I thought Cap 2 and Iron Man 3 were awesome), and it just keeps getting better and better. Hopefully Avengers 2 continues the trend.

• Locked thread