Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ufarn posted:

Aren't forums somewhat down in activity since the 90s?

That'd be hard, as forums only really got going in mass use in the 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I went to grade and high school with at least 1 D&D regular lurker that I know if, and another who lurks at SA in general. Never mind other posters I'm connected to on linked in, Facebook, and other social media. So I'm definitely staying in the campaign worker shadows rather than front and center candidate.

Plus the non internet poo poo I got up to...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

That'd be hard, as forums only really got going in mass use in the 2000s.
Derp, I meant the 00s. Good thing I started posting early 2002. I'm sure I never wrote anything stupid about that whole thing.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'd say that unless you've literally posted "My name is [whatever]", you can probably go with the standard politician strategy of "deny everything" and be alright. At worst it'll be a minor thing that no one really cares about, like George W. Bush's cocaine binges.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ufarn posted:

Derp, I meant the 00s. Good thing I started posting early 2002. I'm sure I never wrote anything stupid about that whole thing.

Ha, I was assuming the mess up was that you were thinking of Usenet for text posting (instead of spam and shady downloads). :v:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

See, that's my problem also. Now, I'm nowhere near like a Darrel Issa, but I am probably sitting right around a George Bush, and I don't have the millions and millions of dollars it takes to make all that a non-issue.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReidRansom posted:

If you have a lot of friends and acquaintances that know your real identity and your online one, then yes, yes you probably are. Still, it's far easier for someone outside your immediate circle to work their way from JT Jag -> you than it is from you -> JT Jag, generally.

Unless their parents were awesome and named them Jet Jaguar.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Unless their parents were awesome and named them Jet Jaguar.

That person would have my vote as long as their campaign slogan was PUNCH! PUNCH!! PUNCH!!!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I quoted Marx on religion in my high school year book. It was an inside joke. I had a slight desire to involve myself in local politics in the past, then I remembered this.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Isn't the actual day-to-day experience of being a politician centered around fundraising? Why would anyone ever want to put themself through that?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

JT Jag posted:

I go by JT Jag literally everywhere online, so I'm hosed.

Some dude on reddit stole my username and is now the moderator of the r/hedgehogs subreddit, and every day of my life is a slow burning dread where I worry that today might be the day I turn on the TV and see an attack ad accusing me of being a Sonic furry. Reveilled of reddit has ruined my life and tore away my ability to feel human :(

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hedera Helix posted:

Isn't the actual day-to-day experience of being a politician centered around fundraising? Why would anyone ever want to put themself through that?

Because of all the alcohol you get in the process.

E: Quick clarifying story, had a friend in grad school from Boehner's district whose family once dated within Boehner's family. The alcohol part played some consideration into his position. Or so I've heard.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 4, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

I'd say that unless you've literally posted "My name is [whatever]", you can probably go with the standard politician strategy of "deny everything" and be alright. At worst it'll be a minor thing that no one really cares about, like George W. Bush's cocaine binges.
Snowden's user on Ars was discovered, and people on SA have been doxxed before, so a little paranoia is always appropriate.

I think the most controversial things I've said on SA are my thought on certain movies and directors/screenwriters, so I think I'll manage.

Stuff you wrote in college papers are always on the top of the list for most journos anyway.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ufarn posted:

Stuff you wrote in college papers are always on the top of the list for most journos anyway.

Well owing to a particularly useless and obnoxious group project member I once had to cite Das Kapital by Karl Marx for one of my presentations, so there we go.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I unironically believe that the first goon that gets elected to anything notable will turn out to have been a FYAD poster. Not a superstar or anything, just someone with a negative post count. And when it comes out and turns into a huge scandal, I can't wait to see Wolf Blitzer talking about "something's awful message forum fee-yahd" in front of a screenshot of people with anime avatars calling each other niggers on a pink forum.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I unironically believe that the first goon that gets elected to anything notable will turn out to have been a FYAD poster. Not a superstar or anything, just someone with a negative post count. And when it comes out and turns into a huge scandal, I can't wait to see Wolf Blitzer talking about "something's awful message forum fee-yahd" in front of a screenshot of people with anime avatars calling each other niggers on a pink forum.

As long as it results in a beecock being shown on 24 hour cable news.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

I was behind 9-11, it was all me, all those Saudi guys were my patsies. I flew the planes by remote control, I planted the thermite and demolition charges in the towers and Building 7.

See you all in 2028!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fried Chicken posted:

I went to grade and high school with at least 1 D&D regular lurker that I know if, and another who lurks at SA in general. Never mind other posters I'm connected to on linked in, Facebook, and other social media. So I'm definitely staying in the campaign worker shadows rather than front and center candidate.

I can confirm that a couple who run in the same circles I run in are goons and I have sneaking suspicions about a few others. You'd never be able to tell based on the things they do IRL, both of the 2 people who are also goons and know I post on here wouldn't believe it because my post history makes me come off as a rabid black nationalist or something—which is hilariously hard to believe if you knew me IRL.

I honestly believe that there is a huge discrepancy between online behavior vs real life, so how/why would you use something like posting on SA or Reddit or Tumblr or whatever against someone (unless it was some really obvious "KILL ALL JEWS" type of poo poo). :shrug:

I think it would be more damaging to continue to post on SA while holding office or something, I can see how that could be spun into some mock scandal if you frequented GBS or FYAD or TCC.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

nutranurse posted:

I can confirm that a couple who run in the same circles I run in are goons and I have sneaking suspicions about a few others. You'd never be able to tell based on the things they do IRL, both of the 2 people who are also goons and know I post on here wouldn't believe it because my post history makes me come off as a rabid black nationalist or something—which is hilariously hard to believe if you knew me IRL.

I honestly believe that there is a huge discrepancy between online behavior vs real life, so how/why would you use something like posting on SA or Reddit or Tumblr or whatever against someone (unless it was some really obvious "KILL ALL JEWS" type of poo poo). :shrug:

I think it would be more damaging to continue to post on SA while holding office or something, I can see how that could be spun into some mock scandal if you frequented GBS or FYAD or TCC.

Here's how it would work practically:

nutranurse posted:

KILL ALL JEWS

The right wing radiosphere would go nuts over it, most people wouldn't bother to actually look up the post itself, you'd be forced into trying to defend how you were "just quoting" and not actually saying it, and all of the bad press would sink your campaign.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

ufarn posted:

Oh no, my history paper on how John Lennon was not as politically conscious as we believe. It will come back to haunt me. It will be my undoing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Goons are the new bonesmen.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wolf Blitzer: Did you, uh, post this picture of "goat-see" on an online women's sewing forum?

Goon: Of course I did, Wolf. That was the point!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
If they found one post from FYAD I doubt anybody looking at it in context is going to make it any better. If anything, the context of FYAD would probably make you look worse. A lot worse.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

FYAD has context?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I maintain that the only way we'll end up with online privacy regulations with teeth in the US would be a Bork video rental history moment.

Something like the speaker of the house going to an interview and getting broadsided with their leaked Google analytics tracking data.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bel Shazar posted:

FYAD has context?

I've been here since 07, I never understood FYAD.

And yeah, if you think people getting pissed off about Obama's Choom Gang is a big deal, wait till CNN goes through a candidate's entire posting history on Youtube. God help them if they ever downloaded a nude mod on Nexus.

Hell, just Google search histories. Thanks to the NSA I bet every now and then we will get a "Leaked" search history of some prominent figure.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 4, 2014

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
From all of this, I've learned that I am never going to be able to run for public office ever in my entire life.

Which only means one thing....

MAXIMUM DEBAUCHERY!!!! :pervert:

Dante Logos fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 4, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nintendo Kid posted:

Ha, I was assuming the mess up was that you were thinking of Usenet for text posting (instead of spam and shady downloads). :v:
alt.binaries.heretic we hardly knew ye.

Mostly because not much DPPH went up there, but it was there dammit!

I am an old goon and would never run for office because it just seems like a horrible hassle. I don't post on these forums because I'm gregarious and can work a room and always remember somebody's face; quite the opposite in fact.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

I was behind 9-11, it was all me, all those Saudi guys were my patsies. I flew the planes by remote control, I planted the thermite and demolition charges in the towers and Building 7.

Stealing this for my Presidential acceptance speech.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

I maintain that the only way we'll end up with online privacy regulations with teeth in the US would be a Bork video rental history moment.

Something like the speaker of the house going to an interview and getting broadsided with their leaked Google analytics tracking data.

One of these days we'll get some renegade spook leaking a candidate's secrets to the press to protect the country from someone they don't like.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Shear Modulus posted:

One of these days we'll get some renegade spook leaking a candidate's secrets to the press to protect the country from someone they don't like.

Renegade? Russell Tice, NSA Whistleblower, claimed to have been pulling Obama's files back when he was a state senator. I mean, maybe it was because they wanted to know how great he was early on.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

Here's the thing, by the time that they have enough power that running for office and winning is a serious possibility, they also have enough power and connections that there is an understanding.

You get low level workers doing that poo poo with fairly unimportant stuff (like the idiots who pulled state department files on Dem candidates in 2008) but when you get to the top it is preference and degree, and they work around each other. You won't see Brennan dump a file on Dianne Feinstein to the press, he has other methods like this and leaking this. He doesn't have to go against her directly.

If you are thinking the direct approach, you are thinking small. Think back to Iraq. Outing Valarie Palm was direct, and it blew up in Bush's face. Having plants on the news network and the journalist pool to get the talking points and framing out and discredit opposition through drowning it in he said she said, that's how it works

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 4, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I've been here since 07, I never understood FYAD.

If you go to /b/, there's a disclaimer that everything there should be regarded as a work of fiction and you'd be a fool to take any of it seriously. FYAD seems to have some kind of inside joke that I never understood.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

If you go to /b/, there's a disclaimer that everything there should be regarded as a work of fiction and you'd be a fool to take any of it seriously. FYAD seems to have some kind of inside joke that I never understood.

It's basically /b/'s final form and someone's eventual anthropology dissertation.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oblivious goonposting about how incredibly much they don't get FYAD is one of this forum's funniest recurring topics. For a bunch of people who have the attention and intelligence to follow American politics so closely to understand all the minor details about it you sure have trouble understanding that FYAD is just about being funny.

I honestly wonder if Internet histories is going to mean that we loosen the gently caress up about our public candidates lives, or if it'll just mean we elect even boringer people since they were the ones who managed to not do anything remotely eyebrow-raising as an idiot kid or idiot teenager.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Hedera Helix posted:

Because our government is weak by design; due to fracturing, there is no real power. This a false dichotomy of course because a legitimate government by definition has complete control, and absolute power. We have exerted this absolute power at times of need.

Anyways, the only value in personally going through the sideshow called politics is because it is a ticket to the country club. It is a sign of legitimacy. It's for the useless scions that you know will be a black hole, so you buy him some titles and such so he is not destructive, and add to your brand and claim. Judges and politicians are welcome everywhere, tickets to a claim. ancient hinese saw this too, the civil services exam was a great boon initially

Maybe it's just my world view because Imperial China is interesting to me. US politics by is completely useless, you guys got an official rank that "whip" a choice :bang: This weakness is good and by design through.

It seems the best thing possible is to limit the damage and let luck handle the rest. Term limit and harsh and enforced estate tax is needed and is achievable in any future populist movement. I don't know long we can keep the rest of the world as 2nd class citizens. The military is 60%+ of our budget, we got death drones now. Such feats of engineering are used on goat herders, talk about building a better mousetrap .

The IRS should get the NSA's budget and clout. It's not like they get to keep it.

Femur fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 4, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

It's basically /b/'s final form and someone's eventual anthropology dissertation.

Always remember that most things you post online will end up read by some hapless grad student in the future.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Always remember that most things you post online will end up read by some hapless grad student in the future.

I pity the English Doctorate candidate who though "The evolution of Fan Fiction" Was a good idea for a thesis.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Brannock posted:

Oblivious goonposting about how incredibly much they don't get FYAD is one of this forum's funniest recurring topics. For a bunch of people who have the attention and intelligence to follow American politics so closely to understand all the minor details about it you sure have trouble understanding that FYAD is just about being funny.

Yeah, it's the kind of pure zen of comedy that I could genuinely see the kind of person who has that combination of narcissism, charisma and ambition that makes a successful politician posting there just to unwind. When they're still in grad school, or something.

quote:

I honestly wonder if Internet histories is going to mean that we loosen the gently caress up about our public candidates lives, or if it'll just mean we elect even boringer people since they were the ones who managed to not do anything remotely eyebrow-raising as an idiot kid or idiot teenager.

Internet histories aside, I wonder when we'll see the first politician with gauges in their ears or a neck tattoo. I'm thinking thirty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Wolfsheim posted:

Internet histories aside, I wonder when we'll see the first politician with gauges in their ears or a neck tattoo. I'm thinking thirty years.

On a city/county/state level, I'd be surprised if there aren't already some office holders with gauges, neck tattoos, or facial piercings. On the national stage...I'd say maybe a decade at most. Seems like most of the uproar about that kind of stuff is quickly fading, in cities or major metro areas at least.

• Locked thread