Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tavarres King is an All-Pro wide receiver name so I hope he turns great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

zimbomonkey posted:

According to Rotoworld via the Washington Post there's a nonzero chance that Moses gets cut. And Jeremy Hill has fumbled 4 or 5 times already. Yeah.

I didn't hear Moses looked bad enough to cut. Just a 4th rounder switching to tackle and looks like a rookie.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Peter King -

(For those who asked about Jarvis Landry)

"Wide receiver Jarvis Landry. After a couple of practices, backup quarterback Matt Moore approached GM Dennis Hickey and told him: “This guy’s got the best hands I’ve seen.” Landry, from LSU, is challenging touchdown-maker Brandon Gibson for playing time in the slot, but he can also play outside. Look for offensive coordinator Bill Lazor to find a role for Landry both inside and outside. Great note in the Miami Herald on Landry the other day—after the July 27 practice, he stayed afterward in the heat and humidity to catch balls fired out of the JUGS machine. Sixty balls, sixty catches. Not revolutionary, just interesting."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I realized earlier that I'd been laughing at the Dolphins O line because of Pouncey/everything else that happened so much that I'd forgotten that's where Branden Albert went. Has he been more or less ok so far in camp?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Kelvin doesn't give a gently caress about yall

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

I'm genuinely curious and not trying to be a dick about it, but who is Benjamin looking good against? I thought your secondary was mainly 7th rounders who only looked good due to an absolutely ludicrous front 7.

And Thomas DeCoud :laffo:

Grittybeard posted:

I realized earlier that I'd been laughing at the Dolphins O line because of Pouncey/everything else that happened so much that I'd forgotten that's where Branden Albert went. Has he been more or less ok so far in camp?

Ahahaha, I forgot about that poo poo too. He's got to be pissed.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Grittybeard posted:

He has been pretty good but Olivier Vernon, Wake, and Dion Jordan have recorded sacks all camp long and in their scrimmage. I going to assume Albert gave some up. But regardless, everything I've read seems to indicate he's the "best" OL we have (until Pouncey returns and hopefully healthy).

I'm worried about Charles Clay at the moment. I don't see Tannehill being as effective without him.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Parlett316 posted:

I didn't hear Moses looked bad enough to cut. Just a 4th rounder switching to tackle and looks like a rookie.

It was a Washington Post quote. I don't know how close the writer is to the team so take it with a grain of salt, I suppose.

Chichevache posted:

I'm genuinely curious and not trying to be a dick about it, but who is Benjamin looking good against? I thought your secondary was mainly 7th rounders who only looked good due to an absolutely ludicrous front 7.

I don't think anyone ever doubted whether he would actually be able to get open because he just doesn't have to. Just throw it higher than the DB can jump and let Kelvin get there. Everyone was saying he can't catch. Turns out he can. That was the question mark.

I do wonder whether the Panthers defense can sustain the pace it started last year. People say the secondary doesn't matter as much because of the front 7 (really 6 since our base defense is in the nickel), but though I am loathe to say it I think people like Captain Munnerlyn and Mike Mitchell did make a big difference to their success. I guess we shall see.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Are you a former Volunteer WR who has broken the law or been kicked off the team? The Colts are interested!

Colts signed WR Nu'Keese Richardson today.

Also a fantasy note, Nicks is only coming in when the Colts go into 3 WR sets, causing Wayne to move into the slot. TY is playing all the time and as the outside WR. I am happy about this, because Wayne was great in the slot during Luck's rookie season when it came to converting 3rd downs.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Marshawn Lynch ended his hold out

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Who?

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

The Seahawks main runner, also named Beastmode and made skittles famous

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Marshawn Lynch ended his hold out

Welcome to last Thursday

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Beastmode? More like least mode. Christine Michael is the future, scrub.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Who?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

It was a Washington Post quote. I don't know how close the writer is to the team so take it with a grain of salt, I suppose.

I don't think anyone ever doubted whether he would actually be able to get open because he just doesn't have to. Just throw it higher than the DB can jump and let Kelvin get there. Everyone was saying he can't catch. Turns out he can. That was the question mark.

I do wonder whether the Panthers defense can sustain the pace it started last year. People say the secondary doesn't matter as much because of the front 7 (really 6 since our base defense is in the nickel), but though I am loathe to say it I think people like Captain Munnerlyn and Mike Mitchell did make a big difference to their success. I guess we shall see.

The Panthers very deliberately run a plug and play defensive backfield. The outsiders pre-season book summed it up really well. The Panthers receivers are givin a lot of zone coverage and asked to do very little that exposes their weaknesses. This defense is really run through the front 7. More than anyone else in the nfl I'd argue.

While that doesn't bode particularly well for match ups against a guy like Peyton manning. It means the defensive backs don't have to be world beaters to succeed. Antoine cason and Melvin white slated to start should be fine and realistically some combination of bene and Godfrey should find a way to not lose games.

There's going to be times when they lose like they did against the bills and Seahawks because the line is fatigued and the scheme can't make up for a lack of talent at the back end, but the team won't get slaughtered.

As for Benjamin there's been times when he's been double covered by Casone and a safety and still come up with the goods. Ac was poo poo in Arizona but you'd think him and a safety would be enough to beat a rookie. They're yet to do so.

Like I've said we'll see in live games soon enough but if you had to choose you'd want your rookie receiver lighting it up rather than dropping balls and running the wrong routes.

Carolina not being as bad as advertised is something of a theme the last few years.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The biggest thing with benjamin is he hasn't dropped a ball yet.

I couldn't give less a poo poo if he doesn't run crisp routes. He's the size of Godzilla and has shown if it's near him he'll snag it.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 4, 2014

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@AdamSchefter
Per @vxmcclure23, Falcons DT Ra'Shede Hageman fractured his wrist in fight.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chris James 2 posted:

@AdamSchefter
Per @vxmcclure23, Falcons DT Ra'Shede Hageman fractured his wrist in fight.

Hairline fracture. They'll club it and he won't miss any time.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

The Panthers very deliberately run a plug and play defensive backfield. The outsiders pre-season book summed it up really well. The Panthers receivers are givin a lot of zone coverage and asked to do very little that exposes their weaknesses. This defense is really run through the front 7. More than anyone else in the nfl I'd argue.

While that doesn't bode particularly well for match ups against a guy like Peyton manning. It means the defensive backs don't have to be world beaters to succeed. Antoine cason and Melvin white slated to start should be fine and realistically some combination of bene and Godfrey should find a way to not lose games.

There's going to be times when they lose like they did against the bills and Seahawks because the line is fatigued and the scheme can't make up for a lack of talent at the back end, but the team won't get slaughtered.

As for Benjamin there's been times when he's been double covered by Casone and a safety and still come up with the goods. Ac was poo poo in Arizona but you'd think him and a safety would be enough to beat a rookie. They're yet to do so.

Like I've said we'll see in live games soon enough but if you had to choose you'd want your rookie receiver lighting it up rather than dropping balls and running the wrong routes.

Carolina not being as bad as advertised is something of a theme the last few years.

Let's look at the schedule though...

Brees twice
Rodgers
Cutler
Stafford
Roethlisberger
Flacco

A bunch of big armed guys armed with either big receivers, fast receivers, or the name Aaron Rodgers. Seems like a bunch of these guys specialize in the one thing we can't defend.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

Brees twice
Rodgers
Cutler
Stafford
Roethlisberger
Flacco

A bunch of big armed guys armed with either big receivers, fast receivers, or the name Aaron Rodgers. Seems like a bunch of these guys specialize in the one thing we can't defend.

the Panthers will handle Brees at home like they always freaking do (and get worked in the dome).

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

Brees twice
Rodgers
Cutler
Stafford
Roethlisberger
Flacco

Can't wait to see a healthy Julio and Roddy against that secondary this year!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I was talking about big-armed guys with O-Lines. I would imagine most of Julio and Roddy's involvement will be turning around and watching Matt Ryan hit the ground again.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Bears have an o-line? News to me. At least they aren't starting J'marcus Webb anymore.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FizFashizzle posted:

The biggest thing with benjamin is he hasn't dropped a ball yet.

I couldn't give less a poo poo if he doesn't run crisp routes. He's the size of Godzilla and has shown if it's near him he'll snag it.

Well that's a shame because he actually runs pretty crisp routes

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Redskins 4th Rounder Ryan Grant, beat writers say he isn't the biggest, not the fastest but he's running routes like a vet. hey hey hey!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

I was talking about big-armed guys with O-Lines. I would imagine most of Julio and Roddy's involvement will be turning around and watching Matt Ryan hit the ground again.

Lol oh I can't wait for the season to start!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shath Hole posted:

Can't wait to see a healthy Julio and Roddy against that secondary this year!

I have some bad news :smith:

*edit*
VVVVVVVV

Sorry, I don't have actual news, I just don't see both of them staying healthy all year long. Julio's dealing with some nasty foot problems that seem too easy to reinjure and Roddy is getting pretty old. It would be great to see them both have good years again, I just don't expect it.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 4, 2014

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Unfortunately as per usual we don't play each other until November. Judging by you guys' schedule you don't have too much to worry about before then, with the exception of the Saints opener.

Chichevache posted:

And what's this all about?

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

The O-line is going to go from the worst in the league to at least average. Considering Ryan threw for 4500 yards with a horrible O-Line and no White or Jones for most of the year, it's going to be fun to watch the Falcons rebound.

Edit: I mean look at this turd pile:

Lamar Holmes
justin Blaylock
Joe Hawley
Peter Konz
Jeremy Trueblood

To:
Sam Baker
Justin Blaylock
Joe Hawley
Jon Asamoah
Jake Matthews

Is a MASSIVE upgrade.

dont hate the playa fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 4, 2014

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Alan Mundy ‏@idontwan2know 2m
Kouandjio has no butt. Can't even keep his pants up. Not a good sign for a lineman

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Chichevache posted:

*edit*
VVVVVVVV

Sorry, I don't have actual news, I just don't see both of them staying healthy all year long. Julio's dealing with some nasty foot problems that seem too easy to reinjure and Roddy is getting pretty old. It would be great to see them both have good years again, I just don't expect it.

Nah they're going to have one more good season together to make the Roddy White extension look like a good move, and then it will all collapse in fire.

Or better yet they start hot and we get rumors that Tony G is thinking about coming back, that he regrets not giving it another shot, and then when he resigns mid season it all falls apart in injury.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 4, 2014

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Claw Massage posted:

The O-line is going to go from the worst in the league to at least average. Considering Ryan threw for 4500 yards with a horrible O-Line and no White or Jones for most of the year, it's going to be fun to watch the Falcons rebound.

Edit: I mean look at this turd pile:

Lamar Holmes
justin Blaylock
Joe Hawley
Peter Konz
Jeremy Trueblood

To:
Sam Baker
Justin Blaylock
Joe Hawley
Jon Asamoah
Jake Matthews

Is a MASSIVE upgrade.

How many of those yards came against the Panthers front 7? What do you think the Falcons TOP in these games is going to be this year? Like I said, you match up well with quite a few teams. The Panthers aren't one of those teams. Even if you can get some offense going, you don't have anything on your d-line to exploit our one glaring weakness. In terms of playing against the Panthers, the Falcons are the team I'm least worried about in the NFC South.

Not that that means particularly much when it comes to playing the games (especially in that drat dome).

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Not disputing that aspect, just responding to your statement about O-Lines.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

pillsburysoldier posted:

Alan Mundy ‏@idontwan2know 2m
Kouandjio has no butt. Can't even keep his pants up. Not a good sign for a lineman

Good thing the Bills aren't selling jeans out there

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Today was Aaron Lynch's first padded practice and apparently he blew everyone away, so that's encouraging.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Glad to hear Benjamin is doing well. Are there any other receivers on the Panthers besides him? Anyone actually capable of being even a #3?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jake Matthews will not be playing right tackle, and Sam baker will probably not be playing.

The real elephant in the room is Atlantas front seven which is hella bad. Ryan is going to have to do a lot more than rack up meaningless yards and rule garbage time.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Glad to hear Benjamin is doing well. Are there any other receivers on the Panthers besides him? Anyone actually capable of being even a #3?

Tavares king baby.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

As of right now Jake is playing RT and Baker is playing LT so not sure what you are talking about. The d line should be much improved and the linebackers could end up pretty loving good...but Fiz blinders so whatevs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Jason Avant and Cotchery aren't nobodies they're not elite but both are sure handed and both understand the offense and the game. There's also Olsen who's quietly one of the best tight ends in the nfl and three running backs who can catch.

The Panthers should be fine when it comes to catching passes. Olsen lead the team last year and both avant and cotchery should quite easily replace what ginn and lafell bought to the table.

The offensive line is the bigger concern.

• Locked thread