Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Do not post submissions until after the HOF game!

I have an idea for a game for the regular season. This year it seems like there's a lot of debate and uncertainty over which teams will be truly bad. It seems much harder to predict bad teams than great teams. I thought a fun thing to do would be to guess which teams will be truly awful.

:siren: Once you post your picks DO NOT EDIT THAT POST!!!:siren:

If you edit your post at any point you will be disqualified.

Rules:

1. If any team you pick makes the playoffs you are disqualified.

2. For every team you pick you score the following points based on their record:

0 wins: 10 points
1 win: 8 points
2 wins: 5 points
3 wins: 3 points
4 wins: 2 points
5 wins: 0 point
6 wins: -2 points
7 wins: -4 points
8 wins: -6 points
9 wins: -10 points
10 wins: -12 points
11 wins: -14 points

3. You may bold one pick. That pick counts double. (If the team you bold has one win you get 16 points. If it has 6, -4)

4. If two people have the same prediction the earlier submission wins.

Prizes!

1st: 20$ to charity of your choice (That won't result in a watch list).
2nd: :10bux: forum upgrade.
3rd: Av cert.

We'll open this to submissions after the Hall of Fame game. Until then if you have any questions about the format or suggestions feel free to post them.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: :siren: :siren: DO NOT POST ENTRIES UNTIL AFTER THE HOF GAME! :siren: :siren: :siren:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
1. Why do we have to wait until after the HoF game?
2. Why didn't you wait to put this up until after the HoF game?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

1. Why do we have to wait until after the HoF game?
2. Why didn't you wait to put this up until after the HoF game?

Because I want to make sure the rules make sense. I just made them up so if there's any issue with scoring or clarity that I didn't notice I want them to be changed before a bunch of people make entries.

You can pick as many as you want, but the more you pick the more likely you are to pick a surprise playoff team.
VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 1, 2014

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
How many teams are we allowed to pick?

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

The 49ers clearly

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would adjust the scoring so that 6 wins nets you zero points and 5 gets you some. Last season was an aberration in terms of low win teams.

2013: 9 with 5 or less, 1 more with 6 (1 with exactly 5)
2012: 7 with 5 or less, 2 more with 6 (2 with exactly 5)
2011: 7 with 5 or less, 3 more with 6 (2 with exactly 5)
2010: 6 with 5 or fewer, 7!!!! more with 6 (1 with exactly 5)

Even if you give 1 point for the 5 win teams, it won't skew the results a ton, and save a lot of people from the negatives of a 6 win team. A 6 win team is still bad, as is a 5 win team. Docking 2 points for a 6 win team seems pretty harsh, and I think people will play this more conservatively. You don't want a ton of entries being basically Raiders, Jags, and Bucs with the occasional Bills tossed in for the sake of being different. You will get a lot more varied submissions with the penalty starting at 7 wins instead of 6.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

E: disregard, I'm bad at reading

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

I would adjust the scoring so that 6 wins nets you zero points and 5 gets you some. Last season was an aberration in terms of low win teams.

Even if you give 1 point for the 5 win teams, it won't skew the results a ton, and save a lot of people from the negatives of a 6 win team. A 6 win team is still bad, as is a 5 win team. Docking 2 points for a 6 win team seems pretty harsh, and I think people will play this more conservatively. You don't want a ton of entries being basically Raiders, Jags, and Bucs with the occasional Bills tossed in for the sake of being different. You will get a lot more varied submissions with the penalty starting at 7 wins instead of 6.

I dunno if five wins should gain any points. Maybe it'd work better if 5 and 6 were both zero points?

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
am i allowed to make a pick yet?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

You only have negative point values for teams who win up to 9 games, when I think you should at least make it clear that 10 win teams will be -12 points, and 11 win teams will be -14 points. There have been a few instances of 10 and 11 win teams not making the playoffs (which would make an automatic disqualification).

Also how are you going to handle ties? Should a 3-12-1 team get you 2.5 points? Or is the scoring based only on win total?

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 1, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fat greasy puto posted:

am i allowed to make a pick yet?

Let's get everything worked out first.

Mind_Taker posted:

You only have negative point values for teams who win up to 9 games, when I think you should at least make it clear that 10 win teams will be -12 points, and 11 win teams will be -14 points. There have been a few instances of 10 and 11 win teams not making the playoffs (which would make an automatic disqualification).

Also how are you going to handle ties? Should a 3-12-1 team get you 2.5 points? Or is the scoring based only on win total?
Good point re 10 and 11. Let's do that.

A loss and a tie are functionally the same for this game.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Toaster Beef posted:

How many teams are we allowed to pick?

I am also wondering this.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

I am also wondering this.

Already answered, homey!

Eifert Posting posted:

You can pick as many as you want, but the more you pick the more likely you are to pick a surprise playoff team.
VVV

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, the all-too informative... answer the pertinent question in a post before the question, but not the OP maneuver.

My list is going to be loving rad.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This game sounds like fun.

Is someone running 1kob again?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mind_Taker posted:

If your team ties it should double the amount of points they give you for the season, because ties own.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
I think if you pick a team that gets 11 wins and misses the playoffs, you deserve +20 pts because that seems rather unusual. it seems like it's happened, or something close to it somewhat recently. And if you happened to pick an 11 win team in a game about missing the playoffs and it happens, that's ballsy. maybe it should gradient back up, if you know, for example, that the NFC North is kinda crowded atm, they are each a few parts from putting it together. they each have strong seasons but one team just misses at 10 or even 11 wins. that's actually a rather ballsy call and opens up the game to better teams.

Like, the Patriots can probably limp to a .500 minimum atm, but will they make the playoffs? I think having the scoring go negative kinda defeats the point. Maybe make the point of the game predicting specifically which teams won't make the playoffs rather than just the narrow question "which team will be the most bad?"

6 wins: 2 points
7 wins: 4 points
8 wins: 6 points
9 wins: 10 points
10 wins: 15 points
11 wins: 20 points

Who will miss the playoffs? I like that way personally.

E: You could make like an award for the person who picks the team with the most wins that doesn't make the playoffs. The Charles Rogers Audacity To Underachieve Award. Just an idea.

cucka fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 3, 2014

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

cucka posted:

I think if you pick a team that gets 11 wins and misses the playoffs, you deserve +20 pts because that seems rather unusual. it seems like it's happened, or something close to it somewhat recently. And if you happened to pick an 11 win team in a game about missing the playoffs and it happens, that's ballsy. maybe it should gradient back up, if you know, for example, that the NFC North is kinda crowded atm, they are each a few parts from putting it together. they each have strong seasons but one team just misses at 10 or even 11 wins. that's actually a rather ballsy call and opens up the game to better teams.

Like, the Patriots can probably limp to a .500 minimum atm, but will they make the playoffs? I think having the scoring go negative kinda defeats the point. Maybe make the point of the game predicting specifically which teams won't make the playoffs rather than just the narrow question "which team will be the most bad?"

6 wins: 2 points
7 wins: 4 points
8 wins: 6 points
9 wins: 10 points
10 wins: 15 points
11 wins: 20 points

Who will miss the playoffs? I like that way personally.

I like this idea.

0 wins: 32 points
1 win: 16 points
2 wins: 8 points
3 wins: 4 points
5 wins: 1 point
6 wins: 0 points
7 wins: -8 points
8 wins: -16 points
9 wins: -8 points
10 wins: 0 points
11 wins: 32 points

Any team making the playoffs results in disqualification.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What about having it so that we get a weekly tally instead of exclusively looking at the end of the season? Every win is a point, every loss is a point? Maybe with a bonus for teams that go on winning and losing streaks? For example the first loss is worth 1 point, second in a row is worth two, etc. Similarly the first win is worth -1 point, second in a row is -2, etc.

Perhaps we could use the preseason as a way of gauging how well this system will work?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I definitely want disqualification for playoff teams, cause it gives people a rooting motivation late in the season to, say, have the Bills not win that week 17 game to sneak into the 6th seed.

I'm going to China and I have no idea whether my VPN will work. In case it doesn't and I can't post, rules are official in the OP. You can make your guesses as soon as kickoff happens in the HOF game.

:siren: Remember, do not edit your posts. Please keep the post with your guesses clear of other content. :siren:

If someone has the same prediction as you, post your modified prediction first and then edit out your old guess.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Jaguars, Chiefs, Browns, Texans

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I forgot to bold,

Jaguars, Chiefs, Browns, Texans

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Oakland Raiders
Kansas City Chiefs
Dallas Cowboys
Minnesota Vikings
Jacksonville Jaguars

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Dolphins
Panthers
Raiders
Steelers
Cowboys
Jaguars
Titans

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Bortles
Cowboys
Dolphins
Vikings
Raiders
Titans
Texans

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jaguars

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Jags are going 8 and 8 this year you unbelievers y'all gonna loose.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Jaguars
Texans
Buccaneers
Redskins
Browns

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Suspect Bucket posted:

Jags are going 8 and 8 this year you unbelievers y'all gonna loose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8bzZEtOcb8

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
San Francisco
Cleveland
Houston
Dallas
Oakland
Philadelphia
Jacksonville

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Browns
Texans
Jaguars

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

San Francisco
Cleveland
Houston
Dallas
Oakland
Philadelphia
Jacksonville
What do you get if EVERY team you pick makes the playoffs???

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Oakland
Jacksonville
Tampa Bay
Minnesota

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Dallas Cowboys
Jacksonville Jags
Oakland Raiders
Houston Texans
Miami Dolphins

DavoMagnifico
Jan 1, 2011

Those are rookie numbers in this racket
Dallas
Carolina
Miami
Buffalo
Minnesota

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KettleWL posted:

Oakland
Jacksonville
Tampa Bay
Minnesota

I'm not sure if it is too late to change your entry, but you do know Lovie Smith is taking over the Bucs, right?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Jacksonville
Chicago
Miami
Cleveland
Tampa Bay

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Oakland Raiders
Tennessee Titans
New York Jets
Dallas Cowboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oakland Raiders
Tennessee Titans
Jacksonville Jaguars