Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Habibi posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you nerds

That insult was not very effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

lulz if you pick anything other than gen iv and v dudes (gen vi are still too raw)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Gyarados was the best, actually.

I'm going to take Teddy Purcell. Under 30, getting paid under $5 million the next two years, and will hopefully get 50-60 points again.

eXXon is up.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

the talent deficit posted:

lulz if you pick anything other than gen iv and v dudes (gen vi are still too raw)

I'm trying to win now, baby. The Gen II vets own and will provide leadership to my youngsters. 5 time Johto Cup Champions.

Also, real talk, Purcell was a good pick.

Laderhan fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 4, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Excellent, now I can finally return Jussi "Juicy Jokes" Jokinen to Carolina, where he belongs. He is an excellent possession player with top talent and at least decent even with assorted garbage on third lines. He's a good playmaker, has some slick hands, scores efficiently (especially on the PP) and can play both LW/C well enough. He can probably safely slot next to Kuznetsov and take faceoffs if necessary, since he's well over 50% in his career.

Also Jim Rutherford was a dumb shithead for waiving him and dumping him off to Pittsburgh while retaining salary. Good luck with that moron, Penguins!

yes I took someone over 30, deal with it

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 4, 2014

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Pat Clements
Habibi
Vjeff
johnfw50
Stickarts

ME

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

JoelJoel posted:

That insult was not very effective.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh my god, Prisoner, HURRY UP.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

eXXon posted:

Excellent, now I can finally return Jussi "Juicy Jokes" Jokinen to Carolina, where he belongs. He is an excellent possession player with top talent and at least decent even with assorted garbage on third lines. He's a good playmaker, has some slick hands, scores efficiently (especially on the PP) and can play both LW/C well enough. He can probably safely slot next to Kuznetsov and take faceoffs if necessary, since he's well over 50% in his career.

Also Jim Rutherford was a dumb shithead for waiving him and dumping him off to Pittsburgh while retaining salary. Good luck with that moron, Penguins!

yes I took someone over 30, deal with it

Good pick, Jussi Jokinen is good

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

VJeff posted:

Oh my god, Prisoner, HURRY UP.
Sorry buddy.

Hey, you guys know how Adam Oates is an idiot? Well, I'm picking Marcus Johansson because I like him. His possession numbers were once wretched and are still not very good, but he is getting better and I like drafting centers who are young!

Also my favorite thing about Marcus Johansson is how little he ends up in the penalty box: across 263 career NHL games, he has 26 career penalty minutes. Over his last two seasons he has committed four minor penalties. That's it.

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 4, 2014

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Get up and pick you lazy west coast hippie, I want to pick today

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Hey man, tofes is on the other side of order.

Gimme fifteen minutes.

e: and gently caress, what the hell, give me Nick "No. 1 Center" Bjugstad. Effort post sometime after lunch on lazy west coast time.

e2: Vjeff is up honk honk honk

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 4, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Guess what. I'm throwing a goddamn party, and you're all invited.

There'll be shooting!

"PULL!"

Lawn mower starting competitions!

vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

and uh some shirtless fat guy but I ain't posting that one. But yes. It's an Arty Party. C - Artem Anisimov from the Columbus Blue Jackets!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

Guess what. I'm throwing a goddamn party, and you're all invited.

There'll be shooting!

"PULL!"

Lawn mower starting competitions!

vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

and uh some shirtless fat guy but I ain't posting that one. But yes. It's an Arty Party. C - Artem Anisimov from the Columbus Blue Jackets!

Wanted to hope he would fall because no one cares about columbus. He's so good (like all his points are ES so he's the ideal shutdown center). Eats big minutes.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I will elaborate on my pick from yesterday afternoon now.

I really wanted Patrik Elias. I almost took him with my previous pick, before taking Huberdeau, but I thought that he would be a great addition to my top-6. Sure, he's an old dude, but he's an old dude who is remarkably consistent. He's hovered around the same GPG and PPG for the past five years. I have been continually expecting the inevitable decline from Elias, and I keep getting proven wrong year after year.

However, that rat bastard mennoknight swooped in and took my guy. I was out and didn't have my shortlist, so I went with a guy who I knew was on my list, but wasn't sure where: Dan Girardi (it turns out my top-3 was Elias, Boedker, and Girardi, although I didn't sort out the rest of the list). I am not sure what to think of Girardi. On the surface, he's a big shutdown D who gets a lot of minutes, is a bruiser, and who leads Dmen in stats like 'hits' and 'blocked shots', which shows how little he has the puck. His fancy stats are...not good, and he has been helped greatly by playing beside McDonagh. He looks good some night, and bad others. The Rangers should have kept Stralman, instead.

With that said, he is the 70th Dman picked, and I like him enough to play on the second pairing, or maybe break up Vlasic/Weber. I am not excited about the pick, but at this stage, I am happy about it.

My team:

Nash - RNH - Semin
x - Huberdeau - x

Vlasic - Weber
x - Girardi

x

I really need to round out that top-6.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Anisimov is a great pick, he was one of the alternatives I had listed if Grabovski was taken

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

He looks good some night, and bad others. The Rangers should have kept Stralman, instead.

That sure is a ringing endorsement.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
At least he's honest :o:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

At least he's honest :o:

Well, in that case, let me say that Kuznetsov could become the next Filly don't do rebounds/Zherdev don't do poo poo and gently caress off to Russia in a few years and then there would be egg on my face but at least Capitals fans would be even more depressed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

tofes posted:

Anisimov is a great pick, he was one of the alternatives I had listed if Grabovski was taken

And suddenly, I could die happy.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Posting from work. The Kings select Paul Martin, D. Surprised he dropped this far.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stickarts and T-Bone lets do this

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

eXXon posted:

Well, in that case, let me say that Kuznetsov could become the next Filly don't do rebounds/Zherdev don't do poo poo and gently caress off to Russia in a few years and then there would be egg on my face but at least Capitals fans would be even more depressed.

I think you are underestimating our current level of depression.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

tofes posted:

Couldn't justify taking him with my last pick, but damned if I wasn't hoping he would fall.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Paulocaust posted:

Stickarts and T-Bone lets do this

I'm ready :w00t:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stickarts make sure to take the best defenseman on the board thanks.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

VJeff posted:

And suddenly, I could die happy.

Jimmy Howard was my other alt pick

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
god drat it stickarts

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Hey Saskatchewan day comes but once a year. Gimme 5

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

gently caress it. Tyler Bozak come on down!

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bozak would be a good 2/3 centre and I think he gets poo poo on a lot because he's overpaid and shouldn't be playing 1st line C. With that being said, there are definitely much cheaper options for similar production.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stickarts posted:

gently caress it. Tyler Bozak come on down!

^^-- yeah, he could be really good in the proper role, but, man, that contract loving blows.

Heh, not a bad pick for where it came, but lol Tyler "first line player" Bozak.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress Tyler Bozak.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sam Reinhart is NHL ready gently caress veterans this is the most value on the board right now

Benn-Barkov-Landeskog
E.Kane-S.Reinhart-Ryan
?-Couturier-?

Pray-For
Rain-Chip
Pucks-Up

Help
Me

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 4, 2014

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm taking the first step towards getting my cap in order and taking Nick Bonino. 22 goals and 49 points in 77 games last year at only a 1.9m cap hit for the next three years. Seeing as he got traded for Kesler, Vancouver will give him every chance to succeed. Feeling pretty good down the middle with Sedin, Zajac and Bonino. And Elliot Friedman was just on Tim and Sid talking up Dion Phaneuf and he's a Smart Guy so

?-Sedin-Perry
?-Zajac-?
?-Bonino-?

?-Phaneuf
Gardiner-?

Quick

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Paulocaust posted:

I'm taking the first step towards getting my cap in order and taking Nick Bonino. 22 goals and 49 points in 77 games last year at only a 1.9m cap hit for the next three years. Seeing as he got traded for Kesler, Vancouver will give him every chance to succeed. Feeling pretty good down the middle with Sedin, Zajac and Bonino. And Elliot Friedman was just on Tim and Sid talking up Dion Phaneuf and he's a Smart Guy so

?-Sedin-Perry
?-Zajac-?
?-Bonino-?

?-Phaneuf
Gardiner-?

Quick
gently caress YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boomer The Cannon posted:

gently caress YOU

There was no way he was getting back to you. I can't even believe Bozak was taken over him.

e: Ginette Reno hurry up and pick so I can go again before my power goes out

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He's away but he gave me his picks. Cogliano and Silfverberg

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Sam Reinhart is NHL ready gently caress veterans this is the most value on the board right now

Benn-Barkov-Landeskog
E.Kane-S.Reinhart-Ryan
?-Couturier-?

Pray-For
Rain-Chip
Pucks-Up

Help
Me

I love Reinhart and think he has a good rookie year but I guess you have some value defensive picks up your sleeve. But playing with Kane and Ryan is a good way to get him off the ground quickly.

I would definitely surround Couturier with good vet wingers though. That would give you some great balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Paulocaust posted:

There was no way he was getting back to you. I can't even believe Bozak was taken over him.

Bozak had a career year with two top forwards therefore

But actually, Bozak put up over 1 first A/60 5v5 last season. It is literally the first season he has ever put up assists at a respectable pace. He is still mediocre defensively though.

e: gently caress, I wanted Cogliano. It is my non-Ducks watching opinion that he is preferable to Bonino. If a Pacific watcher cares to correct me, go ahead.

• Locked thread