Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

Auto-Erotic Asphyxiation?

That or death due to something stuck up his rear end.

Please use only used flared based butt stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Maybe hate/anger keep some people alive?

Strom Thurmond died at the age of 101 years. Reagan died at like 95 despite some 25 years of Alzheimer's taking it's toll. Kissinger is still alive. Scalia is alive despite being an angry blimp screaming WBC-style incoherent hatred in all directions (okay he looks to have lost some weight over the past several years and now resembles a mean Grandpa Munster) so I don't think there's much doubt as to whether burning hatred keeps a corpse's heart beating.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

He's been the figure for gun control for 30 years, how much worse can it get?
Larry Speakes.

Do not question the Reagan Administration, when it comes to this.

For everything bad that's happened the past thirty years, there's a member of the administration with a poo poo-eating grin.

But I guess it'll be interesting to see how the Saint Reagan crowd will take the criticism.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

CIA doing some massive power grabs lately (spying on Senate etc.) Makes it easier to pull an Snowden or a Manning now that's it's all linked too. CIA ever done poo poo positive? Like with the FBI you get them loving with drug lords and the Klan but everything with the CIA is like funding death squads,coups,spying on civil rights activists/anti war protesters.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ufarn posted:

Larry Speakes.

Do not question the Reagan Administration, when it comes to this.

For everything bad that's happened the past thirty years, there's a member of the administration with a poo poo-eating grin.

But I guess it'll be interesting to see how the Saint Reagan crowd will take the criticism.

Wait, you are blaming Brady for what his replacement did? Seriously?

Wow, zoux was right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm a loving oracle.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

That's not what you appear to think it means. Having a secure government-only version of AWS doesn't mean they'll all start pooling their data there and communicating better. Granted, it makes that easier, but so would any sane IT infrastructure (hello IRS, do you remember me from more than six months ago? no? wtf?).

As an example, both Netflix and Amazon use AWS to serve on-demand video, but you could hardly claim they've merged into a hive mind - in fact, they're direct competitors.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Wait, you are blaming Brady for what his replacement did? Seriously?

Wow, zoux was right.
Sure, if you read my post the wrong way.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

SirKibbles posted:

CIA doing some massive power grabs lately (spying on Senate etc.) Makes it easier to pull an Snowden or a Manning now that's it's all linked too. CIA ever done poo poo positive? Like with the FBI you get them loving with drug lords and the Klan but everything with the CIA is like funding death squads,coups,spying on civil rights activists/anti war protesters.

Yes, the CIA has done tons of positive poo poo, most clearly in informing policymakers about the state of the world so they can make more informed and rational decisions. Not all policymakers have given a poo poo about reality, but the CIA's view of Vietnam, for example, was a million times more realistic than Army intelligence's perpetual just-a-few-more-bodies-and-we'll-win viewpoint. Also the CIA's U2 program was a major major deal in de-escalating fears about Soviet nuclear capabilities, informing about missiles going to Cuba, and otherwise giving insight into what was going on in the world.

When it comes to covert action, the CIA has ended up on the wrong side of history pretty often, but 1) a true success would basically mean we don't ever hear about it, and 2) they pretty much have followed the orders of the presidents at the time. Some of our presidents have been awful people, but it's not like the CIA was going off torturing people against Carter's wishes, they were doing it at Bush's orders. That doesn't make it right by any means, but it's a difference about where our disgust should predominantly lie.

berzerker fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 4, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

You know how post 2009 elections, the newly GOP controlled states went HAM shuttering abortion clinics by adding a ton of bullshit regulations in the name of "safety", like requiring those doctors to have hospital admitting privileges?

Well the courts are tossing those out. Mississippi got overturned last week, Alabama today

http://nytimes.com/2014/08/05/us/alabamas-requirement-for-abortion-clinic-doctors-is-ruled-unconstitutional.html?referrer=

I would kinda think most of the damage is done in the states where the clinics have been shuttered. Like once they're forced to shut down, even if the law gets overturned, I can't imagine it'll be easy to re-open them with the "pro-life" folks fighting you through the zoning commission or whatever.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

By it's very nature, the success of great intelligence operations looks like an event from completely unrelated causes, so we have no way of knowing.

That's a big part of why the CIA does terrible poo poo that blows up in our faces. Gotta justify that funding, can't point to your successes because it looks like you had nothing to do with it, so they come up with bigger and flashier things that they can point to. Which them go to poo poo because "big" "flashy" and "attributable" is the opposite of what they do so you end up with scenarios like Iran

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ufarn posted:

Sure, if you read my post the wrong way.

So what's the right way to read your post, because that's the only way it has anything to do with James Brady.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

That's not what you appear to think it means. Having a secure government-only version of AWS doesn't mean they'll all start pooling their data there and communicating better. Granted, it makes that easier, but so would any sane IT infrastructure (hello IRS, do you remember me from more than six months ago? no? wtf?).

As an example, both Netflix and Amazon use AWS to serve on-demand video, but you could hardly claim they've merged into a hive mind - in fact, they're direct competitors.

But the unified data pooling and communications has been the goal since the Patriot Act passed. This is a huge step to that, like you said.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

So what's the right way to read your post, because that's the only way it has anything to do with James Brady.

I think maybe when the dude wikipedia'ed James Brady he stopped at the "former Reagan press sec" line and didn't get to the "gun control" part.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SirKibbles posted:

CIA ever done poo poo positive?

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

Other than that, I don't know.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Fried Chicken posted:

But the unified data pooling and communications has been the goal since the Patriot Act passed. This is a huge step to that, like you said.

And now they have to overcome bureaucratic inertia which, if I remember my physics correctly, is the second most powerful force known to man after compound interest.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Argo was a decent movie. But as others have said, it's only when the CIA fucks up that we actually know about what they do, and people always remember fuckups way longer than successes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chris McDaniel is announcing his legal challenge to Thad Cochran beating him today and his staff is working overtime to up their press releases.

quote:

The first draft of the press release according to the Daily Caller said that "Thad Cochran lost Republican votes in the runoff, but made up the difference with black democrat votes." That line was changed to "Thad Cochran lost Republican votes in the runoff and made up for the difference with Democrat votes."

While one state over...

quote:

"This is a part of the war on whites that’s being launched by the Democratic Party. And the way in which they’re launching this war is by claiming that whites hate everybody else," [Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL)] told conservative radio host Laura Ingraham. "It's part of the strategy that Barack Obama implemented in 2008, continued in 2012, where he divides us all on race, on sex, greed, envy, class warfare, all those kinds of things. Well that’s not true."

So John Roberts' post-racial United States is going well.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Actuary tables for black men are significantly worse than white.

Admittedly that's affected by wealth and access to services (which as a justice, aren't an issue for him) but going by the numbers his clock is running down

Looking at race on tables like this conflates socio-economic effects on health. He has the best health care in the country. He'll be around for a while.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Joementum posted:

Chris McDaniel is announcing his legal challenge to Thad Cochran beating him today and his staff is working overtime to up their press releases.

While one state over...

So John Roberts' post-racial United States is going well.

It's like Birth of a Nation, but real this time, guys.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Looking at race on tables like this conflates socio-economic effects on health. He has the best health care in the country. He'll be around for a while.

I mean, yes, part of it is SES, but part of it is literally that black people in the US don't live as long even after controlling for SES. Structural discrimination in society, including social discrimination, appears to have a health impact. (Which makes sense, given stress is a known negative factor for health and being discriminated against is a stressful experience.). As an example, one study correlated increased blood pressure to experience of workplace discrimination.

So Thomas might outlive normal expectancy, but he's still more at risk than Scalia. (Which is too bad since, of the right wing of the court, he's the one I have the most respect for, even if the most disagreement.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The same team of doctors that have kept Cheney alive will also go to work on the conservative SCOTUS Justices. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas and Scalia see 150.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

The same team of doctors that have kept Cheney alive will also go to work on the conservative SCOTUS Justices. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas and Scalia see 150.
So their flesh-bodies will live just long enough for the perfection of brain in a jar and cyborg technology. All rise for the eternal justice Cyber-Scalia.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

zoux posted:

Apparently you don't need a pulse to shoot someone in the face. Dick Cheney is like a Biblical Lovecraftian villain.

edited: better source material

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 4, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rip Clarence Thomas (b 2/23/1948, d. 1/22/2Xwhatever-year-a-Republcan-is-sworn-in-again.)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
http://gawker.com/gop-house-report-on-benghazi-concludes-there-is-no-beng-1615741728 GOP House Report on Benghazi Concludes There Is No Benghazi Scandal

So now what?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Flaggy posted:

http://gawker.com/gop-house-report-on-benghazi-concludes-there-is-no-beng-1615741728 GOP House Report on Benghazi Concludes There Is No Benghazi Scandal

So now what?

Well I assume the GOP will now make a public and sincere apology for pursuing such an inane line of inquiry in the first place.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Flaggy posted:

So now what?

The other committees and hearings keep digging

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, wait no.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"My fellow Americans, today we lost one of the greatest jurists in American history. Justice Thomas was respected by his peers and all who knew him. As to his replacement, it seems like there's only one African-American with the necessary qualifications...*puts on robe* ahahahahahahahaha"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk-2ulMuD6M&t=130s

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

SedanChair posted:

"My fellow Americans, today we lost one of the greatest jurists in American history. Justice Thomas was respected by his peers and all who knew him. As to his replacement, it seems like there's only one African-American with the necessary qualifications...*puts on robe* ahahahahahahahaha"

I want post-presidency Supreme Justice Obama so bad. You don't even loving know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I want post-presidency Supreme Justice Obama so bad. You don't even loving know.

How can a man serve on the Supreme Court when he himself is unconstitutional?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

How can a man serve on the Supreme Court when he himself is unconstitutional?
Nothing in the Constitution about Kenyans serving on the Supreme Court!!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

JT Jag posted:

We already have John Roberts on the court though. :confused:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other issue is that Arabic has a letter that is basically a stop, a few sounds that exist in literally no other language, and way more K sounds than English. Arabic is really, really different from Germanic and Romance languages and just doesn't lend itself well to Roman characters.
If you're talking about the glottal stop, that sound exists in English (in uh-oh for example, or button when you're talking really quickly), it's just not written.

IPA for all. :getin:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SedanChair posted:

Please tell me there's an audiobook of Herzog reading the bible or at least revelations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

I get the feeling that Obama and Sotomayor would be BFF's that would take hijink packed road trips to see Whitesocks/Yankee games. :kimchi:

They would also keep putting whoopee cushions on Alito's and Robert's chairs.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

JT Jag posted:

Nothing in the Constitution about Kenyans serving on the Supreme Court!!

I can't express how funny I found this.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
The idea of Obama getting a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court after his Presidency makes me think longingly of the Freeper tears that would flow.

It's not without precedent, after all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Alter Ego posted:

The idea of Obama getting a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court after his Presidency makes me think longingly of the Freeper tears that would flow.

It's not without precedent, after all...

The irony of someone that they continue to claim is out to destroy America put into place with the power they think he has now would, I think, make Freeper minds implode.

• Locked thread