Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Man Karin really desperately wants to kill the Eva flag for Touta, doesn't she.

KittyEmpress posted:

Even back in the Chao fight, with all its actual teleportation well, time travel Negima maintains a better more fluid fight than Naruto. Also, I forgot how cool Chao was. I am glad I decided to go back and re-read.

Edit: Also, going by the family tree that we do get to see, Negi is Chao's Great Grandfather. That'd make Touta either her father or uncle.

:v: It doesn't actually matter, but man, Chao's just really funny.

I'm still wondering if the creepy stalker assassin dude that is also called Chao (google tells me it's Xinzqai Chao) is related to Negima-Chao. :suicide:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, the Mundus Magicus twist must have been planned at least as early as the first map of the world we got, considering how it's a modified map of Mars. Which is really clever, when you think about it. Did anyone figure it out early?
I vaguely remember reading the theory on TvTropes's wild mass guessing pages way back when the first map came out, where somebody noticed the map was basically flipped Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
That was cliched, but hilarious :)

Looks to me like mysterious immortal student is another one of those figures from the lineup in the first chapter. Of course, I doubt things will be that simple.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I wonder how many familiar surnames we'll see in this new location? :)

I hope the U.S. branch of UQ Holder has a bunch of cool Native American immortals, Akamatsu is usually really good about doing his research.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
New UQ is out, and it appears Mahora has gotten renovations and a new brand of discrimination.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Who let this happen to Mahora? :argh:

Kyte posted:

New UQ is out, and it appears Mahora has gotten renovations and a new brand of discrimination.

It's not discrimination, it's classification :v:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I hope Fate had no hand in this. :colbert:

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

"Kuroumaru, stop being a show-off at basketball - we're undercover!"
>Immediately picks a fight and wins in a flashy way.

Oh Touta. :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silento posted:

I hope Fate had no hand in this. :colbert:

It seems like the kind of thing that would be beneath his notice. I'd bet it's most likely just some poo poo that happened as a result of the changes in the world after Negima. It's kind of a bit sad, but also a reasonable development that some punks can do magic without a chant, when that was a major breakthrough for Negi. Though I suppose that just means our heroes will do even cooler stuff down the line.

Also I expect magic class vs. no magic class will be handled way better here than Gary Stu's magical adventure or whatever that lovely light novel was called.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

^ I hope that Ken takes some very unsubtle jabs at that magical nationalistic wunderkind series

And the mystery of Karin's Mahora uniform is solved! "Yukihime said I look good in it" :3:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New chapter is up and yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss Chisame 2.0 with bits of the girl from "It's not my fault that I'm not popular!" Unclear whether the new character is a girl or boy, though, but they have one smug-rear end cat. I think I'm going to like this character. Also a new mystery about Touta.

And man, Akamatsu still isn't pulling punches much on showing some rather grim stuff. Wall guy was a pretty bad way to go. I wonder how they're going to rationalize recruiting an outright murderer, though I guess many in UQ have probably killed people in the past, so maybe that's not such a big deal to them as long as members don't kill people moving forward.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Ahahaha that new dude. I suspect he's a guy from the reactions he had to Karin and Ikku's profiles and that comment to Kuromaru's.
Also so totally not them murderer.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It was a nice touch that Touta isn't used to dead bodies, since so many shonen protagonists seem to not be fussed. That bathroom death was pretty gross.

Also, 4 years old, does that line up with when he was adopted by Eva? He was partially turned into a vampire back then wasn't he, so birth could be 'time from immortality' or else we've got some serious mysteries showing up.

Roommates :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pretty sure that's a dude, since he's in the guys' dorm. Also no way is he the killer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GodFish posted:

It was a nice touch that Touta isn't used to dead bodies, since so many shonen protagonists seem to not be fussed. That bathroom death was pretty gross.

Also, 4 years old, does that line up with when he was adopted by Eva? He was partially turned into a vampire back then wasn't he, so birth could be 'time from immortality' or else we've got some serious mysteries showing up.

Roommates :allears:

I think Touta was turned immortal 2 years ago, if I remember right. Given that his parents were biological and medical scientists according to their tombstones, I'm guessing he's in some way artificial or a clone. Or hey, maybe the data really is just wrong :v:.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

Pretty sure that's a dude, since he's in the guys' dorm. Also no way is he the killer.

Yeah, I pretty much came to the same conclusions.

He'll probably help after being recruited (not necessarily by Touta).

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

chumbler posted:

I think Touta was turned immortal 2 years ago, if I remember right. Given that his parents were biological and medical scientists according to their tombstones, I'm guessing he's in some way artificial or a clone. Or hey, maybe the data really is just wrong :v:.

Yeah, you're right it was only 2 years. The data being wrong would be hilarious, but yeah, he's probably some kind of construct.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I like the new character's design. Also, really intriguing weird mystery about Touta. One thing I can say for definite, though, is that he has cute fangs. I think I just like fangs, though.

Okay, now seriously. Agreeing with the reasoning about new character being a guy. And likely not the murderer, though I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
New Guy likely not the culprit, he seems to be maybe have Information powers, at least not the Teleportation that appears to be the murder "weapon" for the two cases shown.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

This doesn't feel like a crime at all. I think these deaths are more likely the most unfortunate cases of contact with some [un?]scientific phenomenon or out-of-control ritual. The deaths seem to random and inefficient/messy to be the work of a criminal with the abilities needed to pull off the killings.

Also, if it's a wormhole or something involving time travel, we can get more backstory! And possibly see some wicked crazy schemes if they can convince miss Save Point to follow them into the past/future.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

This doesn't feel like a crime at all. I think these deaths are more likely the most unfortunate cases of contact with some [un?]scientific phenomenon or out-of-control ritual. The deaths seem to random and inefficient/messy to be the work of a criminal with the abilities needed to pull off the killings.

Also, if it's a wormhole or something involving time travel, we can get more backstory! And possibly see some wicked crazy schemes if they can convince miss Save Point to follow them into the past/future.

If that's the case then he'd have to be covering up something entirely different, since if he wants to keep whatever Weird Thing might be happening secret, he'd presumably know about the deaths around it as more of an outside observer, which doesn't seem to be the case. The only thing that really seems reasonable is that things are as they appear and he is the murderer. If that is the case then there's no need to suggest that he knows about the murderers, because it can just be taken for granted.

Besides, it would be more interesting if he is the killer. He will obviously be joining UQ, so how would they square that up with his being a murderer?

Why can't it be next week already? So many questions!

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I kind of get the impression that this new guy is screwing with Holder due to personal reasons rather than covering up something. He seems to resent both immortality and wealth based on his comments.

The four year thing is interesting. If he is a construct, could Fate of had something to do with his creation? It would explain why he feels Touta belongs to him.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

chumbler posted:

I would be extremely surprised if he didn't turn out to either be Negi himself or a clone of Negi.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapters out on crunchyroll, I'd usually link but phone-posting. Manga version of Kitty Pryde should be fun. They're even both master hackers.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I wonder if all the teachers are as dickish as the magic students we've seen? It's funny seeing them cast Sagitta Magica (or something similar) by paying exorbitant amounts. Negi could cast a bunch at the beginning of Negima! These guys are such scrubs. :laffo:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess they're going to go for the rear end in a top hat Victim approach, where the people he wound up actually killing were actual criminals or immortal hunters after him or something. Given that that bunch of dorks were apparently not worth it. Or he's still a red herring. I guess we have another ambiguous gender character as well, going by that title page.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Doesn't shinmei-ryu specialize in hitting intangible creatures?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't think so. It's more creatures that have possessed humans, IIRC.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So is Touta going to gather a harem of people of ambiguous gender? If so, I'm okay with that.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgyLooq4qpk

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think it's more that shinmei-ryu specializes in plot convenience.

If the culprit isn't Santa I think the explanation would be quite a bit of a stretch. Next chapter should have Karin laying a beatdown, though. I'm kind of expecting that resolving the murders is going to be done pretty quickly with the larger arc being about fixing Mahora.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

chumbler posted:

I think it's more that shinmei-ryu specializes in plot convenience.

If the culprit isn't Santa I think the explanation would be quite a bit of a stretch. Next chapter should have Karin laying a beatdown, though. I'm kind of expecting that resolving the murders is going to be done pretty quickly with the larger arc being about fixing Mahora.

Didn't Santa say he'd already chased Karin off once? I mean sure she might've improved since then but so far it doesn't seem like any of the 4 has proper counters to intangible man.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

It doesn't but their Zanmaken Ni no Tachi technique is supposed to hit whatever the user desires, including otherwise intangible things.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A thing to note: Santa's surname's Sasaki. If it's not a pseudonym (which it might well be), it may mean he's related to Makie :psyduck:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Well, Makie did spend a few days as Eva's vampiric thrall.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Chapter up on Crunchyroll
I feel like Santa is actually projecting an image of himself from a long way away and fighting with that, which is why it's intangible all the time, but he wouldn't have had to run away from the room to start the attacks if that was the case, so its probably wrong. :iiam:

Good chapter again though.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I liked that little detail with the direction the swords went flying off relative to their position.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
And Touta gets to foot the bill again. I think he's starting to understand how things go with these guys :retrogames: :smith:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I bet 10 years down the line they'll reveal it's all some bizarre sort of hazing because they totally expect collateral damage (they obviously have a fund already).

And then they'll literally bury him in the accumulated money. :v:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
You have to admit, making newbies foot their own repair bills would be a great way to make them care about collateral damage.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It seems to be setting up a twist where Santa's not actually a psychic, just a ghost that doesn't know he's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Silver2195 posted:

It seems to be setting up a twist where Santa's not actually a psychic, just a ghost that doesn't know he's dead.

Yeah this was my thought as well. It neatly explains all his powers.

He's a ghost, so rather than turning intangible he's naturally that way 100% of the time. Since he's a ghost, possession and flight make sense. So his only "real" power is telekinesis, which is probably how he interacts with the world at all.

• Locked thread