Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Petey Golfsystem posted:

Looked up the new B9 stuff myself, holy poo poo this is a much bigger update than I thought it'd be.

That looks like Legos and suddenly I want it. Guess it's time to order more RAM (and maybe an actual video card while I'm at it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Could I get some info on Karbonite particle collector? I tried to put some of the collectors on a craft but they don't seem to actually do anything. I put a craft in orbit at around 100k with three collectors attached to Karbonite tanks and sped time up for a wile but the collectors idn't collect anything. Is there a specific altitude I need, or is Kerbin devoid of atmospheric Karbonite?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PiCroft posted:

Could I get some info on Karbonite particle collector? I tried to put some of the collectors on a craft but they don't seem to actually do anything. I put a craft in orbit at around 100k with three collectors attached to Karbonite tanks and sped time up for a wile but the collectors idn't collect anything. Is there a specific altitude I need, or is Kerbin devoid of atmospheric Karbonite?

Particle collectors only function within 110% of the planetary atmospheric edge.

As in, kerbin's atmosphere stops at 70km, so the collectors only work up to 77km out. Your orbit needs to be very, very low.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Comets and asteroids are nice and all but I wish NASA would send a simple orbiter to Uranus or Neptune already instead of the thirtieth Mars mission.

Just curious, but: does anyone ever use RCS besides vehicles that specifically need to be able to dock, or maybe on gigantic spaceships? I nearly always skip it feels like it would weigh my craft down too much and reaction wheels do the job just fine.

RCS is useful for doing very precise maneuvers that require very small amounts of dV. If you want to apply a 0.3m/s adjustment in order to fine-tune your encounter (with an asteroid, say), doing it with a throttled engine of almost any kind is going to be more difficult than doing it with RCS.

Beyond that I only use it for docking. It is really handy on orbital tugs though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fine tuning your approach to a planet for aerobraking when you've got a very limited dV margin makes RCS basically essential. Gotta maximise your efficiency, m8.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

If efficiency is paramount, I've told my self countless times how much I'd love ion RCS engines right about now.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Just select the engine and set the max throttle to like 5%. Unless you've got ridiculous twr you can do tiny increments easily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oxbrain posted:

Just select the engine and set the max throttle to like 5%. Unless you've got ridiculous twr you can do tiny increments easily.

Yeah that's what I do for orbital maneuvers, I just use RCS when I need rapid translational input, i.e docking.

Oh and for jet boosters on my light rovers.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm teaching my friend how to play KSP. Five minutes in all she says is "Oh god don't ever let me design actual spaceships I'll blow everything up"

She's gonna go far
:jeb: :respek: :jeb:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

EightBit posted:

Like other people have said, EVA jetpacks are fine to get you back up without a ladder. You don't even need them on Minmus, if you can jump accurately. One other little problem, is that you are probably carrying way too much fuel if you are using Rockomax tanks with a 909 engine that's a poodle isn't it? Probably still overkill, you can get back from the Mun with a 909 and. You don't need the adapter piece either unless you are :spergin: about looks or using FAR; it's just extra weight and actually adds drag in the default drag model beyond what you'd have if you left it out. And jesus christ man, put some landing legs on it or something.

This little guy has enough dV to transfer from a 100km orbit around Kerbin to the Mun, deorbit, and fly back; Minmus trips actually consume less fuel. You might have to use RCS to control your velocity coming in, but that's part of what it's there for; I use it to zero out translational velocity on final approach, mostly. The "legs" decouple mostly to provide an Apollo-like feel, since you can't have an engine run through a decoupler, but the landing gear isn't massless, I think, so you do save some dV by ditching them on takeoff. Be sure you use the fuel pipes!

Not sure how it stages, but it looks like some of your RCS thrusters are blocked

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

That looks like Legos and suddenly I want it. Guess it's time to order more RAM (and maybe an actual video card while I'm at it).

I really really love the B9 aesthetic but it adds so many loving parts that I never use, and this looks like it amplifies both of those things by a factor of 10.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

1337JiveTurkey posted:

If efficiency is paramount, I've told my self countless times how much I'd love ion RCS engines right about now.

Alternatively, if we're going to go full :jeb: just put translational mainsails on your spacecraft or ultra-fast docking.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

OwlFancier posted:

Particle collectors only function within 110% of the planetary atmospheric edge.

As in, kerbin's atmosphere stops at 70km, so the collectors only work up to 77km out. Your orbit needs to be very, very low.

Ah, thanks!

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold

DStecks posted:

I really really love the B9 aesthetic but it adds so many loving parts that I never use, and this looks like it amplifies both of those things by a factor of 10.

Yeah, I end up deleting like 50% of the parts as they are too out there. Really looking forward to K3|Chris and his IVA work, the game needs more polished command pods, pits, and capsules.

Where are these updated B9 shots coming from?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

OAquinas posted:

Not sure how it stages, but it looks like some of your RCS thrusters are blocked

They all work, and still do even when I clip them into parachutes etc. I've never had RCS thrusters get blocked the way that engines can, and didn't think it could happen.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

EightBit posted:

They all work, and still do even when I clip them into parachutes etc. I've never had RCS thrusters get blocked the way that engines can, and didn't think it could happen.

I've definitely had my RCS thrusters get blocked or nullified; I guess it depends on the part and placement. Maybe there's a minimum distance bubble that allows for some clipping?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Trying out 60 or so addons at the same time with 64 bit. I am optimistic about this! :v:

e: Its'at 5+GB working memory usage and holding stead! :monocle:

Mrs. Wynand fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 6, 2014

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

I never knew you could climb the flagpole at the Launchpad. :psyduck:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I feel like this game doesn't offer a really great sense of advancement. I'd like if the career mode was a little more guided, or there was a campaign that slowly introduced all the parts to you (though maybe that goes against the spirit of the game). I tried career, and I ran out of money, so I tried out science, but the repeated identical launches felt tedious, and also I had no idea what to do with the parts I was unlocking. And sandbox is just overwhelming getting everything at once. So landing on the Mun looks like great fun, but I don't know how I'm supposed to develop the skills to actually do that.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Shibawanko posted:

I nearly always skip [RCS] it feels like it would weigh my craft down too much and reaction wheels do the job just fine.

RCS blocks are massless, dragless and effectively physicsless (although you will turn slower as though the ship was heavier, for some reason). The monopropellant can cause some problems but generally unless you're building ships with really tight fuel margins it's unlikely to be enough of a difference (the 1.25m reaction wheel weighs 0.12, while the FL-R25 weighs 0.15, but the RCS tank gets lighter as you consume the monopropellant inside).

e: it's also worth considering that RCS can be used by a manned pod even if the ship is out of electricity. This has gotten me out of some stupid situations in the past.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FISHMANPET posted:

I feel like this game doesn't offer a really great sense of advancement. I'd like if the career mode was a little more guided, or there was a campaign that slowly introduced all the parts to you (though maybe that goes against the spirit of the game). I tried career, and I ran out of money, so I tried out science, but the repeated identical launches felt tedious, and also I had no idea what to do with the parts I was unlocking. And sandbox is just overwhelming getting everything at once. So landing on the Mun looks like great fun, but I don't know how I'm supposed to develop the skills to actually do that.

I know the game has some new basic tutorials but AFAIK they are also still incomplete

Scott Manley's tutorials however have helped me reach Duna and Jool:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYu7z3I8tdEmqpOkQZCl5SZB5t0vXuxE0

Give that playlist a look, he goes over the beginning of career mode and goes over what each part does and how to build an efficient rocket. It's from before budgets were added but everything still applies.

VVV that too, its fairly easy to overlook the tiny mission control building

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 6, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

FISHMANPET posted:

Did you actually take some contracts? I have no idea how anyone could run out of money unless they overlooked the mission control building.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I went through the tutorials but they were kind of lacking. For example, I didn't know you could gather science with science modules or EVA reports of soil samples or Crew reports. And there's a tutorial on launching, and a tutorial about orbiting, but nothing on how to get into orbit.

I realize it's a fine line between being told exactly what to do and being strongly guided, but if I wanted to to be a literal rocket scientist, I'd be a literal rocket scientists.

Those video tutorials look good, I'll definitely check those out.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah I went through the tutorials but they were kind of lacking. For example, I didn't know you could gather science with science modules or EVA reports of soil samples or Crew reports. And there's a tutorial on launching, and a tutorial about orbiting, but nothing on how to get into orbit.

I realize it's a fine line between being told exactly what to do and being strongly guided, but if I wanted to to be a literal rocket scientist, I'd be a literal rocket scientists.

Those video tutorials look good, I'll definitely check those out.

I haven't looked at the new tutorials, if they're missing something this is a decent place to talk about it. Maxmaps posts here regularly and he made them.

LAUNCHING TECHNIQUE
Assuming not modded*
launch straight up.
at 10,000m, begin gently turning east towards the horizon.
As you continue to go up, continue to point.
ideally, when you hit space (69,000m according to the physics engine, 70,000m according to contracts) you'll be heading 90 degrees.
Hit 'M' (map view) and check your trajectory. It's very likely you're in a sub-orbital trajectory, a big parabola** that ends with you returning to the planet. You can turn off your rocket now!
To make this an orbit, wait until you're at the very top of this parabola, then burn in the direction you're travelling (green icon on the navball, should be on the horizon at this point)
keep burning, and check 'm'. you'll notice your parabola turns into an ellipse! it'll have a little icon 'PE'. Mouse over it. This is your periapsis, the lowest point of your orbit. Keep burning until it's bigger than 70km.

You're in orbit!

To leave orbit, you need to point backwards (green icon with an X through it) and burn until your trajectory is a parabola.

Watching a video of someone doing it will explain a lot, ask if you're unsure of controls, rocket design, etc.

*There are mods that change how aerodynamics work in KSP. Real rockets don't go straight up and then turn, they start turning straight away. If you get one of these mods down the track, the 10km technique will end up exploding your rocket.

**Technically, it's not a parabola, but w/e

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

FISHMANPET posted:

I had the same qualms you had about the game and its progression/repetition problems until one thing, one very important rule, helped guide me to the light.

Do everything at least once so you can say you know how... then install MechJeb and have it do it all for you. Then you do crazy poo poo like build space stations and land on planets without constantly waiting for your ship to launch and always steering it into orbit and then doing all the calculations for everything and blah blah boring poo poo that's only fun when you're in your experiment mode trying to build stupid and silly craft but is no fun when you're trying to play Career.

Think of it as Calculus (if you ever took it.) Show your work via a proof first, then you can shortcut it from then on. This, on its own, is its own advancement of fun that has made me rather addicted to the game in the last two weeks (to the chagrin of everyone in this thread who ignores some of my sillier questions.)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe this will provide some inspiration: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Campaigns

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Kerbalcast - Episode 13: "On The Plain At Hadley" :jeb:
Featuring:
Progress Update - Nos makes a rolly and a swimmy! Biff girds his girders! Over 9000 downloads!
Crew Report: we read your letters
Mission Briefing including "This Game Saved My Life"
As The Kerbin Turns
But I Digress: 43rd Anniversary of Apollo 15 mission

http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
First mun landing (in this career save) didn't go so well, I accidentally left mechjeb set to 10m/s landing speed and the engine got smashed into the ground and the ship toppled over, then because I'd left autostaging on it staged. Then the pod ran out power trying to roll over so jeb could get free.
This is the brave pilot of rescue mission #1 trying to attach the deployable dish to flip the pod over.

Wait, the antenna works on his back?

That's awesome.

He managed to get jeb free of his coffin pod.

However rescue mission #1 (top left) repeated the mistake of the original mission in leaving the landing speed at 10m/s :cripes:
And now resuce mission #2 (top right) even after filling up from rescue mission #1 doesn't have enough delta-v to make orbit, let alone return to kerbin. :cripes::cripes:

I figure I'll just give up build my moon base there (thanks fineprint)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How do you get electricity for the antenna? Are Kerbals electric-type pokemon.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
That's how it's been since persistence was added. First survivable crash, you send a rescue mission. Second one, you send a better-planned rescue mission. Third one, you start a permanent base.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

How on EARTH do I get Dunford Kerman aboard my vessel?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BlueGrot posted:

If you are doing a rescue mission, use [ or ] to switch to him. This tripped me up the first time as well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BlueGrot posted:

If you're within 2.2km, you should be able to click him in map view and select "switch to", or press [ and ] to cycle over to him. Then you can press R to turn his jetpack on and fly him over to the hatch until you see the "F to board" prompt.

If you try any of those things and nothing happens, back out to the Space Center and re-enter the ship, or quit and relaunch the whole thing. 0.24 is sometimes buggy like that.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Geirskogul posted:

How do you get electricity for the antenna? Are Kerbals electric-type pokemon.

Antennas only use power when transmitting, although TAC life support gives kerbals a small reserve of power. You can replenish it on the fly by using a solar panel on your back :science:

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Cannot Find Server posted:

If you are doing a rescue mission, use [ or ] to switch to him. This tripped me up the first time as well.

This did it. Thanks!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Arsonide posted:

Had a random forumgoer (KeenGuitar) submit some more art for the EVA contract. Should be able to work with this. (Most of this will be underground.)

Do you plan on these objects to stay after they are spawned for a contract or will they disappear after the contract is complete?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

If I switch my sandbox save to a science career save, will my existing ships freak out because they have parts that aren't unlocked? Also I assume I need to add a SCIENCE= value somewhere in there to give myself a bunch of science.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Luceo posted:

If I switch my sandbox save to a science career save, will my existing ships freak out because they have parts that aren't unlocked? Also I assume I need to add a SCIENCE= value somewhere in there to give myself a bunch of science.

Should be fine. The game doesn't care if existing ships use parts you don't have unlocked. This could happen in a regular Career game, if you launch a ship with an experimental part, then complete the contract that gave you that part.

You can add yourself Science if you want. Just search for "sci" in the save file. But then why convert to Science Career, if you just want to gift yourself a bunch of Science?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

eth0.n posted:

Should be fine. The game doesn't care if existing ships use parts you don't have unlocked. This could happen in a regular Career game, if you launch a ship with an experimental part, then complete the contract that gave you that part.

You can add yourself Science if you want. Just search for "sci" in the save file. But then why convert to Science Career, if you just want to gift yourself a bunch of Science?

Because we're not all Abyssal Lurker and want to unlock a bunch of basic parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Maxmaps: I was playing KSP with my four year old daughter (her favorite part is taking the Kerbals on EVA) after we watched the excellent Rosetta animations and looked at the pictures of 67P. We did an asteroid rendezvous, and took a Kerbal on EVA. She asked for the Nth time if we could play with a girl kerbal. We talked about Karen Nyberg and Valentina Tereshkova and Sally Ride and other Real Life Girls In SPAAAACE, but she cares more about Kerbals than real people on youtube and wikipedia. In all honesty, she first asked me for this more than a year ago, it pretty much always comes up when we play together, and I cringe every time because she is actually starting to lose interest in the game.

You are a producer now, all the goongradulations I can give you-maybe you are in a better position now to insert some urgency on this?

In general I don't mod early access games and haven't touched KSP modding yet, but I will cross the line to mod in a well done (NOT sexualized) girl kerbal. Does anyone know if that exists?

• Locked thread