Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Well yeah but I'd read somewhere that she'd been more of a hardliner than the point Kerry's been pushing, that maybe Israel should get around to peace talks, in that she recited Netanyahu's arguments word-for-word.

There's a reason these Israeli actions against Palestine and Lebanon only happen in even numbered years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Hate to be the establishment voice, but nytimes and washingtonpost. Websites.

Longer form articles: The Atlantic. Chait is a more fun option.

If you're going to read Chait be sure to avoid anything he writes on race.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'll be honest its mostly for the funny gifs. He's a shithead regarding race?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Atlantic also has one of the best voices on race right now so it balances.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Shear Modulus posted:

I've yet to hear anyone suggest a responsible exit strategy for the search function.

Rumor is, the previous proposals fell through and we'll probably end up jury rigging private enterprise onto the forums and trying to sell it as a Very Serious Solution.

?site:forums.somethingawful.com

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

BigRed0427 posted:

This is what pisses me off about the whole persecution Complex these people have. This guy is being hyperbolic but there are places int he world where Christians are being persecuted. Christians in America feel they are persecuted because they can't shame people into following their lifestyle anymore.

I used to work for one of these fuckwads who happened to be married to a refugee from Ceaucescu's regime. She had literally seen Christians being rounded up in the streets, had stories of jackbooted thugs blasting into people's houses to search for Bibles, so on and so forth, and obviously my boss had heard all these stories.

He would retell them, all this actual persecution his wife had suffered and come to America to escape, and then go straight into how THAT COMMUNIST IN THE WHITE HOUSE!! was sending this country straight down that road, how Christians are the most hated and persecuted demographic in this country and within twenty years Nancy Pelosi's thugs would come and burn all the churches down or what the gently caress ever. Also, Orthodox Christians are literally Communists, all cancer is really just pus and fungus, every health problem you have ever had was caused by vaccines, his chiropractor discovered he has "parasites" by putting a jar in his hand and pushing down on his arm, the plastic doohickey on his phone protects him from cancer-causing radiation, and chemtrails are real.

The issue isn't a lack of perspective. These people know every story of Christians being legitimately persecuted all over the world. The issue is stupidity.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 6, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

El Scotch posted:

I'm surprised the thread title wasn't Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks › US Politics August - The White Man's Burden

Too close to the TVTropes name

Also I was 3 pages behind when I made the thread, didn't bother to catch up and take suggestions

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zoux posted:

The Atlantic also has one of the best voices on race right now so it balances.

TNC's reparations piece was really useful in that mainstream liberals' reactions to it is an excellent barometer on their appreciation of institutional racism and white privilege.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Also I was 3 pages behind when I made the thread, didn't bother to catch up and take suggestions

Too busy attending fundraisers and playing golf I take it?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I'll be honest its mostly for the funny gifs. He's a shithead regarding race?

He had a very long back and forth with TNC that left him looking, charitably, extremely awkward and clumsy on the topic. More honestly, he hasn't examined his views and actions overly much and it shows, he tries to make what he thinks are good points and comes off as your stereotypical white suburban liberal who knows how to cure what ails the black community if only they would heed his wisdom.

He isn't typical republican on race, or "but the iq tests! Read the bell curve!" Like Andrew Sullivan is. But he definitely needs to get through that there is a time to speak and a time to listen, and sometimes the best support you can give is extoll a piece by someone who lives the topic.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 6, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Too busy attending fundraisers and playing golf I take it?

Literally, yes. I was helping organize a golfing fundraiser for a local thing.

Then I did some WoW for an hour. Stupid mount still won't drop.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Huh, I'll keep that in mind.

Forgot to add TNR, American Prospect, and longform.com as a nice conglomerator.

Speaking of the Prospect, whatever happened to that House Intelligence Committee on Benghazi (Benghazi, Benghazi!!!):

quote:

After nearly two years of investigations, millions of dollars spent, tens of thousands of pages of documents handed over by the administration, a Republican-led committee is about to release a report stating that there is no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the Obama White House.

http://prospect.org/article/house-intel-committee-finds-no-benghazi-scandal-will-boehner-ignore-its-findings

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 6, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shear Modulus posted:

I've yet to hear anyone suggest a responsible exit strategy for the search function.

Open the archives to Google. The free market will provide :black101:

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Shear Modulus posted:

You could do a lot worse than just watching Stewart and Colbert. They were my gateway drug. Nowadays I like a lot of the sites mentioned, and also The Economist.

To give you an idea of what the Economist is like:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Literally, yes. I was helping organize a golfing fundraiser for a local thing.

WoW is code for "War on Whites".

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Shageletic posted:

Forgot to add TNR, American Prospect, and longform.com as a nice conglomerator.

That's longform.org, mister. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badera posted:

They do some good work on some foreign politics but they are just so neo-liberal it hurts.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

They do some good work on some foreign politics but they are just so neo-liberal it hurts.

Was it then that did the story attacking Chavez for creating universal health care instead of building the world's tallest building like Qatar did?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

That's longform.org, mister. :colbert:

Waiting for the wave of argyle wearing thinkers to attack me at my home.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Was it then that did the story attacking Chavez for creating universal health care instead of building the world's tallest building like Qatar did?

Dunno but I would not be in the least surprised.

Generally in terms of the domestic social politics of nations they favor liberal positions but they are practically ancap when it comes to fiscal policy. I also don't like that their articles lack bylines.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm reading The Invisible Bridge. All this stuff about the POWS (on both sides) during the Vietnam war is knocking my head back. :stare:

edit: I wish he would have written about this stuff a little later in the book though. I can already see the angry guy jumping in his car so he can return the commie propaganda for a refund.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 6, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

cbservo posted:

I didn't see it, what was so bad about it?
I dunno, I heard some drops from it on the radio today and I didn't think it was terrible.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badera posted:

I'm not arguing that their politics is poo poo but I like their international politics and business coverage. The only other business media with enough circulation do any research and not just repost press releases range from "uniformly complete and total poo poo" to "one or two pieces per edition worth reading and 95% echo chamber about Obama Bad Markets Good." The Forbes-WSJ/FT spectrum, if you will.

e: Anecdote since this comes up in this thread recently: One of their recent editorial pieces (it was about the Scotland independence referendum) used the word "statist" unironically about economic policy. It made me wonder whether that newly created slur had been a top-down or bottom-up creation.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 6, 2014

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

zoux posted:

In even further Christian movie news, did y'all ever see The Buttercream Gang :allears:

From several pages ago but that movie is awesome! It might have been discussed already even.

You want to know how you can tell a kid is a bad kid:

1) He just moved back from the city.
2) He has a belt buckle.

A fellow teacher told me about it and even found a VHS of it. One day, when we had a couple of hours to spare, we played it and laughed the entire time. It was magical.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

And it never will. :kheldragar:

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 6, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

El Scotch posted:

And it never will.

He should engage in the BMAH and experience the generosity of the free market.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

From several pages ago but that movie is awesome! It might have been discussed already even.

You want to know how you can tell a kid is a bad kid:

1) He just moved back from the city.
2) He has a belt buckle.

Also more swarthy than the good Mormon brood, and vaguely Hispanic. Though I think the wardrobe person on that movie took their cues from Suicidals more than anything else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

31 cases of voter ID fraud in the last 14 years.

quote:

I’ve been tracking allegations of fraud for years now, including the fraud ID laws are designed to stop. In 2008, when the Supreme Court weighed in on voter ID, I looked at every single allegation put before the Court. And since then, I’ve been following reports wherever they crop up.

To be clear, I’m not just talking about prosecutions. I track any specific, credible allegation that someone may have pretended to be someone else at the polls, in any way that an ID law could fix.

So far, I’ve found about 31 different incidents (some of which involve multiple ballots) since 2000, anywhere in the country. If you want to check my work, you can read a comprehensive list of the incidents below.

To put this in perspective, the 31 incidents below come in the context of general, primary, special, and municipal elections from 2000 through 2014. In general and primary elections alone, more than 1 billion ballots were cast in that period.

Hmmm I'm starting to think that voter fraud wasn't as big a deal as the GOP was making it out to be...but then why were they pushing it so hard??

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm not arguing that their politics is poo poo but I like their international politics and business coverage. The only other business media with enough circulation do any research and not just repost press releases range from "uniformly complete and total poo poo" to "one or two pieces per edition worth reading and 95% echo chamber about Obama Bad Markets Good." The Forbes-WSJ/FT spectrum, if you will.

e: Anecdote since this comes up in this thread recently: One of their recent editorial pieces (it was about the Scotland independence referendum) used the word "statist" unironically about economic policy. It made me wonder whether that newly created slur had been a top-down or bottom-up creation.

hahaha Welp

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Welp.

quote:

WASHINGTON— In an effort to ensure that those on welfare are actively seeking employment, a new law enacted this week will require recipients of federal aid to periodically submit vials of sweat for measurement by government officials. “We want to make sure that our resources are allocated only to those who are deserving of assistance, which is why all welfare recipients must now prove they have exerted themselves past the point of perspiration during their job searches,” said United States Department of Labor representative Elizabeth Bronson, who added that each month, in order to collect benefit checks, welfare recipients will have to wring out their sweat into official government vials before mailing them in for analysis. “These new stipulations will guarantee that people on welfare are out there every day hitting the streets trying to find employment, working up a good sweat, and not returning home at night until beads of perspiration are dripping off of them.” According to reports, Congress is also considering a law that would require those receiving food stamps to send in recordings of their family’s stomachs growling.

http://tinyurl.com/kn2yst3

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Totally had me going right up until the word sweat. :golfclap:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

haveblue posted:

Obvious solution: Set fire to the F-35 factory.

I wish. If there was a single factory where all this took place the F-35 would've been binned long ago. However contractors are smart enough now to ensure production of giant meal tickets are spread over as many states as possible, ensuring that there's ample amounts of politicians who'd be put at risk if they voted to axe that lovely program.

Fried Chicken posted:

Why didn't you catch up? I demand an inquiry in to Fried Chickenghazi.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Thanks for the excellent OP, Fried Chicken. Your contribution to this forum really is invaluable.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Michele Bachmann has changed tactics. She no longer wants to impeach Obama. Instead, we should impeach everyone else.

Checkmate, executive branch. :smug:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

Is there some sort of living will that you can sign so they will never send you to a Catholic hospital?

Won't be any non-catholic hospitals soon. We had a huge merger in WA state last year. All according to plan...

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Since Fried Chicken isn't doing next month's thread, I would like to suggest USpol September - fried chicken impeached for the thread title, under the assumption that the GOP will continue to stay the course.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
USPol September - fried chicken's impeachment windfall

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

USPol September - fried chicken's impeachment is a democratic myth

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Michele Bachmann has changed tactics. She no longer wants to impeach Obama. Instead, we should impeach everyone else.

Checkmate, executive branch. :smug:

Michelle Bachman wants Congress to conduct a witchhunt. Michelle Bachman is friends with Christine "I am not a witch" O'Donnell. Which witch will you want watching Congress' witchhunting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Fried Chicken Impeachment leads to War on Whites.

edit:
:smith:

• Locked thread