Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If two picks that I want get to me and I have to choose between them, you can bet I'm naming both of them and explaining why I pick the one over the other. Don't worry about naming guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He was on my list but now I'm concerned that this is one of those sarcastic comments. The only knock I can really find against is that he is 33 and my team's compete window is like... his number of good seasons left away from opening.

No he's legitimately pretty good. He's up and down at times, but in the last 4-5 years he's been a pretty steady defensive defenceman. At worst he's a physical presence and a good leader. He'd be the captain if Henrik wasn't around, and pretty much everyone in Vancouver likes Bieksa. I hope he retires a Canuck.

e: Also he singlehandedly beat San Jose in 2011. Four goals and a fight where he ragdolled Marleau. It was amazing.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 6, 2014

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I hate Bieksa

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

I hate Bieksa

We didn't win a cup and you guys got your revenge. Canucks fans and Sharks fans should be united by their hatred of all the way more successful teams in the division.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im here now ill pick soon. basically i wanted sekera, perrault or bieksa and now i have to try to not pick another loving canucks defenceman

i dont remember who it was or where but someone else said it best when they said "mattheu perrault is who the canucks think nick bonino is" and im mad he was signed for free while bonino was acquired with a good player

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

im here now ill pick soon. basically i wanted sekera, perrault or bieksa and now i have to try to not pick another loving canucks defenceman

I don't think Bieksa has been picked yet. We're just talking about him.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i really wanted perrault though so i need to make sure im not missing out some equivalent

ill take bieksa then. i can get the forward next round. i think. it probably leaves me with the best top 4 though which is good. they all expire in the next couple years too which is kind of nice when i get two up and coming superstar youth

edit: wow this last round took a really long time

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 6, 2014

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

gently caress you pickstealer

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Big Bad Ducks Select Jiri Hudler for our 3c. He's Czech, sick p/60, contract is up in two (with everyone else), good on the PP, really nasty hands, and he'll chew up lovely defense getting the third best matchups. Berglund won't be on the PP most likely, so Jiri can anchor that second unit (well, second unit meaning the other three that go out there while Geno and Jagr play the whole thing).

Hagelin-Malkin-Voracek
xx-Berglund--Jagr
xx-Hudler-xx

Giordano-xx
xx-Stralman

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

tofes posted:

gently caress you pickstealer

you say as if my next two picks arent ryan stanton and yannick weber

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Big Bad Ducks Select Jiri Hudler for our 3c. He's Czech, sick p/60, contract is up in two (with everyone else), good on the PP, really nasty hands, and he'll chew up lovely defense getting the third best matchups. Berglund won't be on the PP most likely, so Jiri can anchor that second unit (well, second unit meaning the other three that go out there while Geno and Jagr play the whole thing).

Hagelin-Malkin-Voracek
xx-Berglund--Jagr
xx-Hudler-xx

Giordano-xx
xx-Stralman

Hurdler is a good 3C. I love your forwards and Giordano/Stralman is nice on defense. Right now I think you're one of the best teams for win now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We are close to the turn! Danny LeFever, tofes, and then Good Soldier Watcha

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hudler always played LW on the Wings. Did the flames convert him to center?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

VJeff posted:

Hudler always played LW on the Wings. Did the flames convert him to center?

He was playing center for a while. But even better, since he has some Czech chemistry with Jagr you could have a second line of Hudler-Berglund-Jagr and it would make a sick top six.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tough one. I was looking at my needs (wingers) but I can't really pass up on another one year until UFA guy in Johnny Boychuk whose possession is likely inflated by Chara.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

With Bieksa gone I want to make sure I finish my top 4 with at least 1 right handed guy so the Winnipeg Jets select Tom Gilbert.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My shortlist has been taking a hit this round. Keep it up, and I will have no one left when it's my turn, you jerks.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Who has the most expensive team so far? Im at 33.656m and I'm seeing a lot of guys that are a little overpaid that in wary of cause I want some room later on.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Paulocast is at 44m, Verviticus is at 42m, Twin Cinema is at 40m

On the picks per team tab it has a formula for cap stuff: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a80PmyvcOnXidTbKzsd0mkxjVKIP1LoiHcXtMuUMKjU/edit#gid=671811590

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

He was playing center for a while. But even better, since he has some Czech chemistry with Jagr you could have a second line of Hudler-Berglund-Jagr and it would make a sick top six.

Yeah I thought about that but both Hudler and Jags are guys who can carry a line and route the offense through them, so I'd probably keep them off the same line. They'd be sick on the powerplay though.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

That's weird that Hudler is listed as a center on nhl.com cause he only took 18 faceoffs last year

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'll be ready to pick - There's one player I definitely want that won't drop any further, and 2-3 more than might that I have to decide between.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Same. Hopefully good soldier goes soon and also doesn't take my guy.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

T-Bone posted:

Paulocast is at 44m, Verviticus is at 42m, Twin Cinema is at 40m

On the picks per team tab it has a formula for cap stuff: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a80PmyvcOnXidTbKzsd0mkxjVKIP1LoiHcXtMuUMKjU/edit#gid=671811590

Highest cap by 2 mil even after I picked cap friendly guys over my top choices the last two rounds. Should be a very interesting next few rounds for me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sorry - you guys hit me right at the commute/dinner combo. The New York Rangers practically feel obligated to select

Jason Demers
Big, right-handed #3 Defenseman who had a spectacular year (maybe with some help from Vlasic, but who knows? Not me.) I like his age, his contract, the fancy stats all look good. I struggled on this one but I feel like it was the right choice to make.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of torn on this pick, but there aren't many right handed defenseman left who have played 20 minutes a night in the NHL, so despite my misgivings about his horrific defense (and his inflated ES shooting %) I'm going to welcome Justin Schultz back to Chicago.

He'll be playing with Chara for lack of other options, and that's the one thing that gives me hope about this pick. The two D who had worse possession numbers than Schultz were the other Schultz and Ference, and that's who Justin spent most of his time paired up with. Chara is a step above those guys and will be able to support Schultz as he forgets he's not a forward, while still chipping in with offense of his own. I hope.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I remember the debate about Schultz in the last thread. Scott Cullen projected him to get 9G 18A 27P just prior to the lockout season, and implied he could do even better. I found that unlikely. T-Bone said that his practically unprecedented AHL production meant he could well get 30 points or more.

Well anyway, Schultz ended up getting 9G 17A 26P in 48GP... while also being -17. And then 33P and -22 in 74GP this season. So everyone was kind of right.

(Actually I thought ianss was talking about Schultz when he meant a player of some description in the West. I thought Ellis was as good of a bet, and there's another comparable I won't mention).

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Sorry - you guys hit me right at the commute/dinner combo. The New York Rangers practically feel obligated to select

Jason Demers
Big, right-handed #3 Defenseman who had a spectacular year (maybe with some help from Vlasic, but who knows? Not me.) I like his age, his contract, the fancy stats all look good. I struggled on this one but I feel like it was the right choice to make.
Good pick. I was hopeful but not optimistic that he might fall to my next pick.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The player still hasn't been selected. Same with the young forward.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ah i thought it was bogosian

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Colorado takes Michael Frolik and Some Other rear end in a top hat, stand by.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 7, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Colorado takes Michael Frolik and Boone Jenner. Decent 2R who resigned on a good contract, and a 2C/3C player who'll be this years Johansen, and who can play wing when needed. I think the other players I want, or their Corsi equals, will fall to my next picks.

Wasn't Jenner picked? Anyway, Frolik is really good. Nice pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I thought someone took Jenner

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, Jenner was picked earlier in the round by Washington

e:

the talent deficit posted:

i'm gonna reluctantly settle for boone jenner. i'm not sure he's ever gonna be great but he is good enough to be the third best player on your second line and he's only 21. maybe he'll score 40 eventually!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Come back, cannon-man! I want to pick again tonight!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Gotta check Extra Skaters, stand by.

E: We'll take Derick Brassard, bullshit extension from the Rangers and all.

Sorry for the fuckup, I've had some family issues to deal with and didn't check the list as well as I should have.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Bumping this back up, lets rock and roll boys. If I've screwed up again, go around me and I'll figure someone else out.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wavered quite a bit on this pick, but I'm going with the old guy. Chicago gets another former captain and selects Shane Doan.

Even though he's 37, Doan is one of the last guys on the board who is theoretically capable of 30 goals, though 20-25 is more likely. He plays a hardnosed game and he's a bit of a sneaky dirtbag. He's defensively responsible, his production has remained pretty consistent as he's aged, and he can still play 19 minutes a night. He's a good possession guy if that's your thing. He's got 2 years left on his 5.3m dollar deal, and he's going to be hungry for a cup. Chicago plans to help him retire a champion.

I was comparing him and the other Phoenix winger. I went with Doan because I think he's more reliable despite the age difference, and I prefer his style, all things being equal (ie. salary). Doan will fit on Crosby's wing just fine, and take some of the pressure off of Toffoli from having to be the guy right away. When he misses some games Toffoli will be ready to step in.

Defense schmeefense. My forwards all play a good enough two way game that I'm less worried about it than I might be otherwise. There are still some good defensive options out there.

Team so far:

Hossa - Crosby - Doan
Ladd - Koivu - Williams
wicked two way guy just wait - Toffoli - another one too
i'm rolling 3 lines, you would too

Chara - Schultz
whatever
whatever

paying goalies not named Rask / Schneider is for chumps
a backup

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 7, 2014

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Colorado takes Michael Frolik and Some Other rear end in a top hat, stand by.

boone jenner is a nice pick and frolik was my likely pick this coming round so good job there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Every team needs a little piece of poo poo that can score some goals. The Rangers' piece of poo poo will be a fan favorite, and brings some cup experience to the team.

Andrew Shaw
Youngest available 20-goal scorer (I think). He's pretty much a slightly bigger, more physical Brendan Gallagher (only I'm getting him 100 picks later). Did I mention he's 23 and has a 2-year contract at $2 million? And that he can play some spot center? I am liking the looks for this team in the future.

Palat - Stepan - Shaw
Kreider - Zibanejad -
---
---

Hjalmarsson - Green
- Demers
-
Lundqvist

• Locked thread