Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ron Washington has had how many contending teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I would sacrifice a goat to trade Ron Washington for Francona.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Sorry, Ron Washington just signed that goat and he's batting DH tonight.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
People bitching about Washington/Matheny as a manager I kind of get, because frankly their actions can hinder extremely well-constructed teams. Neither of them are as mind-bogglingly stupid as Robin Ventura, who has somehow slid under the radar for three years because Jerry Reinsdorf loves him.

That said, any Yankee fans who bitch about Cashman or Giants fans who bitch about Sabean need to be fired into the sun.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Pat Clements posted:

People bitching about Washington/Matheny as a manager I kind of get, because frankly their actions can hinder extremely well-constructed teams. Neither of them are as mind-bogglingly stupid as Robin Ventura, who has somehow slid under the radar for three years because Jerry Reinsdorf loves him.

That said, any Yankee fans who bitch about Cashman or Giants fans who bitch about Sabean need to be fired into the sun.

Nobody is stupider than Wash and I'll duel you if you besmirch him in that way again.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

New Concept Hole posted:

Still can't believe his name's not pronounced "chohn".

It's actually pronounced "Farv".

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pat Clements posted:

The best manager in baseball wouldn't make the White Sox a playoff team right now.

Ron Washington literally cost his team the 2011 World Series.

tarlibone posted:

I can understand it. But really, what were the choices? Terry Francona's ignoble end in Boston all but excluded him from serious consideration, and the club was probably never considering Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg seriously. Personally, I was hoping Oquendo would be named manager, given his experience with the team as both a player and a coach. And I'm still not sure why he was passed over.

Terrible though he may be, he's got his team in contention in a strong division for the third year in a row. Things could be worse.

I'm fine with the experiment. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I was excited about Matheny, and I figured he'd be a good leader and the team was good enough he could learn on the job. I liked the idea that the manager would clearly be junior to Mozeliak, who I think is a great GM and had to share power with TLR, sometimes with significant problems (see: Chris Duncan for Julio Lugo)

Except...he hasn't learned on the job. The Cardinals are in 1st place right now if a non-moron manager is at the helm. I don't ask much. Just the ability to learn from mistakes. But when Trevor Rosenthal appears for the 3290239th game in a row when Pat Neshek is just chillin' in the bullpen, and you watch the team blow it...it's rather frustrating.

And if your principal argument for defending Matheny is "Three years ago, he wasn't such a bad choice," that is pretty damning of Mike Matheny in TYOOL 2014.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 7, 2014

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I hate mike matheny

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs DFA'd Schierholtz and activated Fujikawa because Schierholtz is no longer capable of playing major league baseball. Junior Lake, however, still roams amongst us.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Aww but Schierholtz was hella cool.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Aww but Schierholtz was hella cool.

Only on the Cubs would a guy hitting .192/.240/.300 amass 341 plate appearances.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Pat Clements posted:

I don't get the segue here. Managers vs GMs?

Robin Ventura wasn't hired as a guy who would be good at any aspect of game strategy. He was hired because he was the polar opposite of Ozzie Guillen in terms of player personality management and media relations. Which may or may not be A Thing regarding a ballclub's ability to win. But yeah he's absolutely terrible at determining what to do with players during the actual games. The only decision he's made that I 100% applaud is put Adam Dunn in when the Sox were down 15 in the 9th.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

tarlibone posted:

Now wait... I'm starting to get the impression that there are people out there who don't like Mike Matheny.

I can understand it. But really, what were the choices? Terry Francona's ignoble end in Boston all but excluded him from serious consideration, and the club was probably never considering Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg seriously. Personally, I was hoping Oquendo would be named manager, given his experience with the team as both a player and a coach. And I'm still not sure why he was passed over.

Terrible though he may be, he's got his team in contention in a strong division for the third year in a row. Things could be worse.

Tarlibone, just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Pander posted:

I don't get the segue here. Managers vs GMs?

Robin Ventura wasn't hired as a guy who would be good at any aspect of game strategy. He was hired because he was the polar opposite of Ozzie Guillen in terms of player personality management and media relations. Which may or may not be A Thing regarding a ballclub's ability to win. But yeah he's absolutely terrible at determining what to do with players during the actual games. The only decision he's made that I 100% applaud is put Adam Dunn in when the Sox were down 15 in the 9th.
The segue was just that many fans of successful teams sometimes get flak for complaining about their managers when in many cases that's a totally valid thing to do. However, many fans complain about their successful franchise's general manager for one reason or another, and most of these reasons are absolutely batshit insane and of the "can't see the forest for the trees" variety.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Only on the Cubs would a guy hitting .192/.240/.300 amass 341 plate appearances.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mathije01.shtml

Not quite 341, but...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

tatankatonk posted:

Tarlibone, just out of curiosity, how old are you?

I spent my formative years learning to love Whiteyball, and my teenage years (and beyond) listening to fans older than me complain about anyone who managed the Cards who wasn't named Whitey Herzog. That's about as specific as I want to get.

I do hold the distinction of being the only guy in Cardinal Nation who was sad to see Joe Torre get fired.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Sorry, Ron Washington just signed that goat and he's batting DH tonight.

Don't be silly - you know Andrus is DHing and the goat is playing short.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

uggy posted:

I hate mike matheny

Is there a YOUR MANAGER SUCKS blog? Because I feel like it'd be a really therapeutic thing to read during the day.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

tarlibone posted:

Cardinal Nation

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The Pussy Boss posted:

Don't be silly - you know Andrus is DHing and the goat is playing short.

The goat just sac bunted in the third inning while down 4.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
If that goat were on the Tigers he'd have just been traded for David Price.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Pat Clements posted:

I may just be looking in the wrong places, but I never hear of Yankee fans complaining about Cashman. I certainly don't.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Junior Lake, however, still roams amongst us.

I have always believed that he has an 80 name tool, so that could be it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FairGame posted:

I'm fine with the experiment. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

No, hiring a guy with literally 0 coaching experience was super dumb at the time too.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MourningView posted:

No, hiring a guy with literally 0 coaching experience was super dumb at the time too.

He had coaching experience, coaching on the field.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MassaShowtime posted:

He had coaching experience, coaching on the field.

His qualifications were basically "got called a smart player a lot due to being a historically awful hitter who kept getting at bats"

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?
Supposedly the Cubs claimed Jacob Turner on waivers. And tonight Shawon Dunston Jr. was pulled from his game at Kane County and seen talking to two Cubs officials. Make of this what you will.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MourningView posted:

I honestly figured "well, he knows personnel management from being a catcher, and it's not like baseball strategy is all that complex; he'll figure that stuff out as he goes."

In hindsight, yes, you're absolutely right.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I'm trying to think of any player in any sport that I'd just hire even if he had no coaching experience and all I can come up with is Peyton Manning and that's because he's basically been his own coach for like 10 years.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Cubs DFA'd Schierholtz and activated Fujikawa because Schierholtz is no longer capable of playing major league baseball. Junior Lake, however, still roams amongst us.

He's there to show the younger hitters what will happen to them if they don't learn pitch recognition.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

cards should have hired colby rasmus' father

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Infield back? On! On!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

uggy posted:

I hate mike matheny

Could he be any worse than Dusty Baker was his last couple of years with the Cubs?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

The thing I've always loved about this is that the Browns actually won that game 5-3. They lost the next 6 under their regular manager.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

The thing I've always loved about this is that the Browns actually won that game 5-3. They lost the next 6 under their regular manager.

It seems kinda counter-productive for some signs, like "surprise squeeze"

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

So I'm going to my first Cubs home game on August 21st. I've heard that Wrigleyville is absolutely terrible, so I'm thinking about pre-gaming at DryHop and then heading to the ballpark when the gates open. Any suggestions on things to do around the area before/after the game? And uh, did I do well by buying tickets in section 110?

Excited to see Wrigley and laugh at how bad the Cubs are in person.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'll add Ryne Sandberg to the bad managers pile. You just have to look at his lineup. Ryan Howard, who hasn't hit since 2011, still batting 4th every loving game. Which is made worse because he's hitting after Utley so it's two lefties batting back to back. And Byrd who is a righty and maybe the best hitter on the team bats 5th every game, so it's not like there's a difficult solution to that. Also Revere is a lovely hitter but bats leadoff every game while Carlos Ruiz who has a .372 OBP over the last 5 years bats 7th. And yes Charlie Manuel did all the same stuff, he was lovely too.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
The fact that so many managers suck at lineup construction astounds me.

edit: i know it's not that big of a deal over a full season or whatever that article said but it still seems like something super easy to optimize and this is a multi billion dollar business. it's just mind boggling

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

uggy posted:

The fact that so many managers suck at lineup construction astounds me.

edit: i know it's not that big of a deal over a full season or whatever that article said but it still seems like something super easy to optimize and this is a multi billion dollar business. it's just mind boggling

Managers are literally incapable of having someone go on BBref/FG/any baseball site, go to their team page, and organize their lineup by OBP/check individual splits/etc. And that's just the tools that are publicly available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Senf posted:

I've heard that Wrigleyville is absolutely terrible

Wrigleyville is actually pretty nice and cool

• Locked thread