Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Duckman2008 posted:

Its am agreement on the the cost of the phone, but not a 2 year contract.

It's still only available on postpay which you presumably got there by getting a contact for service in the first place. Also, Edge by its very nature is a contract since you are essentially financing the phone and are responsible for the remaining balance if you cancel service. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other. It's just another means designed to tie to you service by perpetually having a balance that you would have to pay in a lump sum if you left Verizon.

Regardless, it doesn't make sense to compare postpay with subsidy and Edge in relation to Verizon's statement. Now that Verizon finally let's 4G phones on their prepaid system, they are finally on par service wise.

There are certain combinations where postpay (service contract or edge) will save a bit of money over ALLSET, but in the vast majority of cases right now you are best grabbing a $300 Moto X straight from Motorola and getting an ALLSET plan if Verizon is your carrier of choice.

All I know is that this is my last Verizon contract, so I'm not sure I even care about the shenanigans they pull with unlimited now. When my contract is up in 2015, I will immediately switch over to ALLSET if I don't decide to jump ship altogether to a new carrier (more likely.) Part of it has to do with what the phone selection landscape looks like by that. We should be 100% LTE by then so there's nothing keeping something like a Nexus off Verizon, but then again they threw a shitfit with the Nexus 7 and I could see them restricting AWS from devices they don't explicitly sell.

As it stands, a no brainer for cheap, reliable, fast smartphone service SHOULD be a Moto G LTE on ALLSET, but that's an impossibility right now. Because of that, they are going to lose my parents who are transitioning from flip phone to smartphone in the next few months. There's just nothing Verizon that makes a lot of sense unless they want to spend $300 on a Moto X (and they certainly do not.)

They can go to T-Mobile, spend $80 a month between the two of them, and buy something as cheap as a $129 Moto E and get fast service with a decent no frills phone that they could easily then take to AT&T if they find coverage isn't working out for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party
I have a question/series of question regarding the Verizon Edge program (of which I am currently enrolled with a 32GB iPhone 5S) that a 1-800 representative could not properly answer (naturally).

I understand that I need to pay off at least $375 of the phone in order to "edge up". So far, with how I pay, it will work out to be one year from when I purchased the phone/Verizon Edge agreement.

On the verizonwireless website, I see I have the option to buy out the phone completely for its retail price. My main question is: if I do this, come one year when I purchased the phone and have paid off $375, do I get to keep the device? As opposed to simply paying the $375 and having to trade the phone in? If I buy it out, and get to keep the device, am I eligible for a contract renewal? Or if I buy out the device am I still locked in contract for another year? Do these phone on the Edge program that are essentially being sold at retail work on all carriers or do they need to be unlocked? Is it hard to unlock them?

I ultimately want to buy out my iPhone 5S in December, as the last payment to my Edge program, and keep the device. And in turn, sell it (not sure yet whether it will work with all carriers or just Verizon) and use that money towards a new phone (preferably the iPhone 6) on a new 2 year contract.

Please correct me where I am wrong and thank you very much for any help as I'm sure many of you will be of much more assistance than the lovely customer rep I spoke to over the phone.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You own the device once you pay off 100% of the financed cost.

Your $375 is just 50% of the phone, which enables you to "Edge Up" aka trade in that phone, Verizon forgives the remaining 50% of the financed cost, and you sign another finance agreement for $600+

The iPhones are already unlocked and will work with any domestic carrier, with some caveats about 4G LTE service.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It's so fun when AOLs aren't done properly. Had an account tonight where an assumption of liability was done and the account name was changed to the new owner but the social security number still belonged to the previous owner of the account. The previous owner was past due so I couldn't upgrade the two lines on the account I was working on.

Retail support: This guy's delinquent, he's bad! Needs to call customer care! There's notes on the account that says this guy called and said he would pay and then didn't!

Customer care: This guy's paid up! Upgrade him! No notes on the account!

Retail support: Customer care is wrong!

Customer care: Retail support is wrong!

Me: So how do we fix it?

Both: The other guy can do it!

Nobody bothered to tell me about the fact that there was another account until about an hour and a half in and retail support absolutely refused to tell me what was wrong until I jogged the customer's memory and they called the guy to get him to pay his bill just so we could all go home.

If you guys think you get jerked around -- we do too.

EDIT: If I had a dime for every time I called someone for help and they told me what was wrong and not how to fix it I'd be a very rich man.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 7, 2014

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

SeaborneClink posted:

Your $375 is just 50% of the phone, which enables you to "Edge Up" aka trade in that phone, Verizon forgives the remaining 50% of the financed cost, and you sign another finance agreement for $600+

The iPhones are already unlocked and will work with any domestic carrier, with some caveats about 4G LTE service.

Thank you for clearing this up. The customer rep tried to tell me Verizon phones would only work on Verizon no matter what and I knew that was somewhat not true.

Question I still need to know is, if I buy out the phone, can I sign a new Edge agreement once I buy it out?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

FordPRefectLL posted:

EDIT: If I had a dime for every time I called someone for help and they told me what was wrong and not how to fix it I'd be a very rich man.

In training/transition it is hammered into us that:
1) Always give the customer the benefit of the doubt.
2) We are all on the same team and don't dump stuff on others.

What I found is that for every legit issue regarding credits or something on the customer there is an outlandish customer flat out lying to me and unfortunately I am still new enough to TRY and give them the benefit of the doubt. It drags out the call by 20 minutes as I try to figure out how to make them right and then it becomes apparent they can't be because they are lying.

Same thing with other verizon employees. Half of retail calls or directs to us are either DC's (kill our stats and they can do) or things they should call core about (what the quoted post retail guys should have done) or their regional liaison. If a call comes in and the notes say "Ghost call" or "call DC'd" once or twice. It is a call to cancel services. My supervisor asked me what my triggers are and I said other employees who dump stuff on others. He explained how I shouldn't say that because it will give a wrong impression and hurt my career progression. Its like a giant elephant in the room.

I am surprised we don't get whiplash from getting jerked around so much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's no surprise that a business so dedicated to squeezing out every last penny the market can bear screws both customers and employees alike and breeds opportunistic and destructive behavior.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

What I found is that for every legit issue regarding credits or something on the customer there is an outlandish customer flat out lying to me and unfortunately I am still new enough to TRY and give them the benefit of the doubt. It drags out the call by 20 minutes as I try to figure out how to make them right and then it becomes apparent they can't be because they are lying.

Same thing with other verizon employees. Half of retail calls or directs to us are either DC's (kill our stats and they can do) or things they should call core about (what the quoted post retail guys should have done) or their regional liaison. If a call comes in and the notes say "Ghost call" or "call DC'd" once or twice. It is a call to cancel services. My supervisor asked me what my triggers are and I said other employees who dump stuff on others. He explained how I shouldn't say that because it will give a wrong impression and hurt my career progression. Its like a giant elephant in the room.

I'm an indirect. When a customer comes in with an actual problem, the second Customer Care hears "indirect" they send us to core, who 9/10 of the time can't help. We have to immediately give the phone to the custmer, who either can't articulate their problem, or are baffled they came into a store just to talk to customer service. I got transfered to three other departments in a row just yesterday. One time, a coworker had a trip that was something like, customer service, core, customer service, core, custmer service, aol, port, aol. It took hours, and we're the ones the customer yells at.

I live in a rural area where a good portion of our customers are elderly with basic phones. I'm so tired of hearing "heh heh that there phone is too smart for me!" *spits tobacco into spitoon"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd say remove the spittoons from your store, but I know they will just spit on the floor.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I kind of like the idea of an old-timey cellphone shop with dirt floor, spittoons, and phones you have to crank and yell "operator get me the sheriff, the Wells Fargo stagecoach's been robbed again."

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

kitten smoothie posted:

I kind of like the idea of an old-timey cellphone shop with dirt floor, spittoons, and phones you have to crank and yell "operator get me the sheriff, the Wells Fargo stagecoach's been robbed again."

That would be preferable in some of these peoples mind's.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, unfortunately I also work inside of a Costco and paying $55 for a membership ratchets most people's entitlement up to a level beyond space and Costco management enables it. It very frequently turns into a perfect storm.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Deep Winter posted:

I live in a rural area where a good portion of our customers are elderly with basic phones. I'm so tired of hearing "heh heh that there phone is too smart for me!" *spits tobacco into spitoon"

"I don't have time to play on a computer all day"

"I'm not some kind of computer expert"

"I don't need one of those fancy phones"

"Best part" is they ALL think they were the first person to come up with these lines and are so proud of themselves for it.

Bwwwwwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

So,

3) Forget rules 1) and 2) The second you start dealing with live customers?

FordPRefectLL posted:

it just slowly, painfully nibbles away at your very soul.

SeaborneClink posted:

All the 4G phones are unlocked, but there are some issues with not just 4G Bands, but some 3G bands as well.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 7, 2014

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
That is what I am learning. I am going to tech and although its lovely in it's own way...I am shielded for the most part from the following:

I just had a direct agent say a transaction was at another store when I asked them if their store location was what the remarks said for that transaction (automatically generated), they said "Yes, but that wasn't us". Soooo...I had to credit this poor guy who was receiving texts saying his service was going to be cut off because: they upgraded a line with edge and changed 2 of 3 numbers to a new Shareplan...and left the remaining 1 on the old shareplan, then bumped up his more everything plan to 10 gb to get the 25 dollar credit on the edge line...which was the nationwide share plan phone so he didn't even get the credit and paid for data he didn't need. If that makes no sense to you...I don't feel so bad because I had to get my supervisor to give me some offline time to figure out what happened.

That happened today. I didn't call the store back or ask to speak to their manager because chances are that was the manager and/or its a coinflip that in that hour of calling them back that they will own the issue.

Indirect agents seem shocked I will even stay on the phone to make sure the phone gets activated after switching it out and be very gracious for treating them like human beings but at the same time I have had a call where it is on speaker phone where 2 reps are yelling at me with the customer.

If you are a verizon customer and reading this. We are literally going insane and fighting with each other in order to bring you the BEST service!

Edit: "I don't need a smartphone, I just need a common sense phone!"

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 8, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If I get a good cs rep I do take their name and send a compliment via our account manager. Don't know if it goes anywhere.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I'm trying to figure out whether to get a Droid MAXX or a Moto X to replace my current 2 year old Droid RAZR MAXX.

I was wanting to get a Droid MAXX 32GB, but I've not been able to find any of the 32GB versions brand new. It's not an option on the Verizon site and Amazon doesn't have any new units, just used ones. Right now with a 2yr renewal I could get a Moto X 32GB for $15 as an alternative. I don't do very much video watching or music playing on my phone so I don't think the 1300 mAh battery difference between them would affect me much.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 8, 2014

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

MREBoy posted:

Moto X 32GB for $15 as an alternative. I don't do very much video watching or music playing on my phone

This. Or wait for the new Moto X

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, apparently Verizon is trying to close another "keeping unlimited data" loophole by no longer allowing you to downgrade from a smartphone data plan to a standard $9.99 additional line. You could still use your upgrade, then move the phone to the new line, but you'd be stuck paying $30 a month for the data on the other line. This is supposed to go into effect August 24th. I have a spare line with a feature phone for my grandmother and I've been sitting on that upgrade with the intention of either getting the Moto X+1 or the next version of the Droid Maxx, but neither of them will be out in time. I'm thinking about using the upgrade on a G3 and either keeping it as a spare phone (although I already have a Note 3 and a Moto X that I swap between, so it's not like I don't already have a "spare") or sell it and bank the money until the X+1/new Maxx comes out.

Any of you planning anything similar? If so, what?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I tried to activate an iPhone I bought from Verizon today and for some hosed up reason it took them 45 minutes over the phone. Now when I log into my online account it says my service is disconnected. What the hell did they do?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I tried to activate an iPhone I bought from Verizon today and for some hosed up reason it took them 45 minutes over the phone. Now when I log into my online account it says my service is disconnected. What the hell did they do?

Obviously they jacked it up, but it's impossible to know how without actually seeing your account. Call CS, ask to talk to a tier 2 rep (these are all direct VZW employees), and they should be able to un-jack your account.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Is Asurion pretty much the only insurance that covers loss for iphone 5s?

My options are applecare+, squaretrade and asurion. Leaning towards applecare+ for now, any reason not to?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

king of the bongo posted:

My options are applecare+, squaretrade and asurion. Leaning towards applecare+ for now, any reason not to?

1. Yes
2. See Above

I'm not sure about SquareTrade though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

SquareTrade does not cover loss or theft.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Unlimited data user here and I think I am already getting throttled. At the moment, I have full 4G signal with 1Mbps down, 22Mbps up. I thought it wasn't supposed to start until October.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm planning on burning an upgrade in the next day or two before Verizon stops letting you downgrade your data plan. I don't want an S5 (have a Note 3 and that's more than enough TouchWiz in my life), don't want an M8 (have used my mom's M7 a lot and just don't love it, although the corrected button layout would help a lot), and don't really want a MAXX (it's "old" at this point and I'm already planning on buying the next version whenever they release it). Are there any glaring flaws to the G3? Yes, it's skinned, although not too terrible, and it has BUTTONS ON THE BACK, but is there anything really bad about it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

king of the bongo posted:

If you pay your phone bill with a wells fargo credit card or check card, your device is covered from loss and theft.

Apparently.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Lker posted:

Unlimited data user here and I think I am already getting throttled. At the moment, I have full 4G signal with 1Mbps down, 22Mbps up. I thought it wasn't supposed to start until October.
Tower congestion. Maybe it'll actually get better for you in October!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

td4guy posted:

Not really likely.

The only way Verizon's traffic smoothing stuff is going to actually affect tower congestion is if the tower in question is congested only because the top 5% of unlimited users (which are already low percentage) are maxing out their bandwith on that tower at the time.

Say you have 1,000 people on a tower. Let's generously say the number of unlimited Verizon data users is sitting at 50% (I suspect at this point it's closer to 10%).

So, you have 500 unlimited users on that tower. Only 25 of them would fall into the throttle bucket. You better hope all 25 of those users are torrenting at 40mbps so that trafic shaping them actually has some effect. However, if they fall into the 5% because they like to stream sub 1mbps music for more than an hour a day, even outright banning from that tower is going to have zero effect for the remaining 975 people.

The only real way for Verizon to combat tower congestion is to increase tower density. Full stop. Throttling a handful of individuals per tower isn't going to do anything to combat congestion and is designed purely as a stick to get people off unlimited.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

td4guy posted:

Pfff, tower congestion...clearly it's because the board of Verizon needs to be sent to the Hague to stand trial for crimes against humanity.

Do you know who else liked the color red in his logos? Hitler.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

XIII posted:

that's more than enough TouchWiz in my life),

Htf are you not soff and off tw. Samsung has some decent hw but gently caress TW.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ease posted:

Htf are you not soff and off tw. Samsung has some decent hw but gently caress TW.

It's a retail Note 3, so I can't. But, I am rooted and running an AOSP themed ROM that goes a long way toward making it less terrible.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

Geoj posted:

Pfff, tower congestion...clearly it's because the board of Verizon needs to be sent to the Hague to stand trial for crimes against humanity.

Do you know who else liked the color red in his logos? Hitler.

If you say that to a customer service rep we have to give you "hush" promos. Don't tell anyone.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
My contract is up in October and was wondering if Verizon has cheaper plans they don't normally advertise. This is what I have now.

2 lines
550 minutes shared
250 and 1000 texts
2gb data each
protection plan

I pay about $155 a month with a 20% discount

Thinking of switching to Tmobile. I can get 2 lines, unlimted minutes/texts, 3gb data each and new phones for about the same price

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Edit: going to give this advice again later when I'm not phone posting while moving apartments

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 16, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Verizon:

4GB Data (-20% discount) = 56
40 line access
40 line access
10 TMP
10 TMP

156 + tax for Unlimited Talk + Text and 4GB shared data on Verizon. You also have the option here of doing the $60 per line promotional plan which would give each line unlimited talk and text and 2 GB data each, which would be $120 + 20 for insurance, which comes out to $140 + tax. This method doesn't work with discounts as far as I'm aware but one of the CS reps in here can correct me on that.

T-Mobile:

80 for 2 lines, Unlimited Talk + Text
10 for 3GB Data Line 1
10 for 3GB Data Line 2
20 for JUMP on both lines.

120. Then, you factor in phone financing. If you did two brand new Samsung Galaxy S5s, that would add an additional $50ish per month, same with iPhones. I don't know if you have a T-Mobile discount and I'm honestly not really sure how they're calculated anymore anyhow.

$170 pre tax. In my state at least, you're only taxed on the service monthly, you have to pay the phone tax up front. If you already have phones that would work on T-Mobile, or you plan to buy something like the Moto X or whatever, then subtract the financing if you don't plan to do it.

Hope this helps.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 16, 2014

bryn987
May 31, 2014
^^ I would get Nexus 5 so that's about $28 cheaper. So, with new phones and more data, it's about the same ior a bit cheaper compared to Verizon

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

bryn987 posted:

My contract is up in October and was wondering if Verizon has cheaper plans they don't normally advertise. This is what I have now.

2 lines
550 minutes shared
250 and 1000 texts
2gb data each
protection plan

I pay about $155 a month with a 20% discount

Thinking of switching to Tmobile. I can get 2 lines, unlimted minutes/texts, 3gb data each and new phones for about the same price

VZW has a $60 loyalty plan, where you get 2GB of data and unlimited talk and text for $60 per line. So you'd be lookin at around 136-140 (depending on the exact protection plan). Your corp discount doesn't apply to the loyalty plans, but they're cheaper anyways. There's also a $50 loyalty plan that's the same thing with 1GB as well.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Is there any reason not to just outright buy a phone to replace my old Galaxy Nexus instead of waiting for my upgrade?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

If cost is not an issue, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

VZW has a $60 loyalty plan, where you get 2GB of data and unlimited talk and text for $60 per line. So you'd be lookin at around 136-140 (depending on the exact protection plan). Your corp discount doesn't apply to the loyalty plans, but they're cheaper anyways. There's also a $50 loyalty plan that's the same thing with 1GB as well.

I keep seeing the $60 for 2gigs promo being single line but I saw an account today with three of them on there. Weird.

• Locked thread