Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mikl posted:

I'd be surprised if it doesn't make an appearance, but having Inaho pilot it and wreck stuff would go against the current "feel" of the show, which is underdogs kicking the poo poo out of superior opponents with resourcefulness and tactics. It would seriously be a letdown.

Yeah. Given the way they're setting things up, I'd put my money on Slaine being the guy to get his own super-mecha. Suzaku principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Mikl posted:

I'd be surprised if it doesn't make an appearance, but having Inaho pilot it and wreck stuff would go against the current "feel" of the show, which is underdogs kicking the poo poo out of superior opponents with resourcefulness and tactics. It would seriously be a letdown.

The practical issue is that you can only take that so far, before the supposedly superior enemies become non-threatening due to their constant defeats at the hands of the underdogs. As long as the show is concentrated on pushing back the "first wave" of the invasion there's no problem, but you don't seriously expect them to defeat all of their remaining forces in this same exact manner without any changes, do you?

Beyond that, if Aldnoah is a supernatural force of some kind, I don't expect it to remain the exclusive monopoly of the enemy robots forever.

Provided the story doesn't simply decide to take things in the direction of the successful underdogs being crushed at the very end, that is.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Honestly, the Zero in the title could not actually mean "super secret prototype robot" but rather in the numerical sense in that so far it's been about Robots without Aldnoah fighting Robots with Aldnoah.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Inaho is only allowed to get an Aldnoah Zero supermech if he's doing an Aldnoah Boss Rush at the end where he fights all of the other remaining knights at once. I mean, come on, it's apparently a one-cour, we've got a lot more to get through... And I don't know about you, but a conclusion where he figures out the robot's reality-warping superweapon in real time while fighting several other superweapons would be badass. Plus it'd make for a really, really awesome Super Robot Wars stage, and we all know that that's what's really important here.

Speaking of which, this episode... On one hand, he just totally punked that robot, which really just heightens the "why is Inaho so much more competent than everyone else" complaints. On the other hands, he just totally punked that robot and it was awesome.

Also, with regards to the Slaine plotline... I laughed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
God drat, Inaho.

"UNHAND ME!" :argh:
"I'd be glad to." :geno:

And calling it now - 'Dr. Troyard' was the Emperor's old name before Aldnoah got him. Slaine and Asseylum will have a Luke and Leia moment, and it will be awkwaaard.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

You're thinking about this the wrong way. Aldnoah is the power the Martians discovered on Mars that made them the Vers Empire. It seems to be some sort of supernatural force, rather than something cooked up by a particular type of engine like Minovsky particles.

Possibly, but the guy piloting big white and slicey specifically says "Aldnoah Drive" (not a translation thing either, he says it in English) when turning his blades on in episode 4. I expect it's a generated source of energy they revere as supernatural.

As far as this episode: There's something fishy about the emperor's last declaration of war, almost like it wasn't him on the throne.

wielder posted:

The practical issue is that you can only take that so far, before the supposedly superior enemies become non-threatening due to their constant defeats at the hands of the underdogs. As long as the show is concentrated on pushing back the "first wave" of the invasion there's no problem, but you don't seriously expect them to defeat all of their remaining forces in this same exact manner without any changes, do you?

Another practical point is they seem to be rapidly running out of trainer robots.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 2, 2014

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

BabelFish posted:

Possibly, but the guy piloting big white and slicey specifically says "Aldnoah Drive" (not a translation thing either, he says it in English) when turning his blades on in episode 4. I expect it's a generated source of energy they revere as supernatural.

As far as this episode: There's something fishy about the emperor's last declaration of war, almost like it wasn't him on the throne.

Another practical point is they seem to be rapidly running out of trainer robots.

Maybe we'll get a real twist and have the protagonists continue as irregular infantry against the giant robot menace.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The whole WAR OVER!!! followed by ok, WAR IS BACK ON!!! was a tad ridiculous for a single episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite thing about lightsaber guy is that apparently his armor was good enough he didn't even really need to use the swords to stop bullets, he just really liked pretending to be a jedi. Also the catchphrase-shouting when he drew a second sword. Whoever said he was basically Gym Gingham was right.

I'm down for a whole show of this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shakugan posted:

The whole WAR OVER!!! followed by ok, WAR IS BACK ON!!! was a tad ridiculous for a single episode.

You haven't been watching the news much lately, have you?

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Sindai posted:

My favorite thing about lightsaber guy is that apparently his armor was good enough he didn't even really need to use the swords to stop bullets, he just really liked pretending to be a jedi.

Nah, I got the impression that, while his armour was good enough to deflect a few bullets, a solid hit woulda done damage, like it did last episode.

Though a proper soldier actually being a super goon shouting "Man, I'm so badass, I can deflect BULLETS" would be pretty much the best.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I refuse to believe that holding the sword still was blocking all possible solid shots from multiple robots with automatic weapons. My explanation is far more reasonable. :colbert:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Sindai posted:

I refuse to believe that holding the sword still was blocking all possible solid shots from multiple robots with automatic weapons.

Wasn't the rationale that the sheer heat radiating from the beam was just vaporizing any bullets in his vicinity? He wouldn't really have to actually move the sword as long as the effective zone covered his vital components.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Was that the first time we've seen Inaho smile? I wonder what it was about specific situation that made him happy?

BabelFish posted:

It was weird that when he first showed up on the throne, he had a beard, then when he was in bed he didn't have a beard, then when they showed him on a throne the beard appeared again. Could definitely be some kind of illusion or something. Wouldn't be surprised if he's just bedridden. (typical "bedridden noble being led astray by evil advisors" trope)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Come on dudes they're just projecting themselves, not actually teleporting. You really think it's unreasonable that a feeble old ruler wouldn't have the machine set up to project himself as a healthy man in front of his subjects?

Also yeah the guy was waving his beam saber around to detonation HE rounds from the heat of the blade and just the temperature of the air itself immediately in the wake of the blade, which is why he could block literally all the bullets. AP rounds get partially melted by the heat but are not wholly consumed so they just get deflected.

Fighting plasma with plasma was pretty great though.

Eej fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 3, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Was that the first time we've seen Inaho smile? I wonder what it was about specific situation that made him happy?

He actually does that when he sees his sister's note in ep3. For like a milisecond. You need to pause to see it

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
We had 5 ep. till now, is fair to say this is the best giant robot anime since Eureka Seven? Maybe i'm getting a litte too excited about the show, but i don't remember any recent mecha show being this fun to watch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Build Fighters :colbert:

(Though if we're talking since E7 then I'm throwing my hat in with Shin Mazinger)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Personal_Nirvana posted:

We had 5 ep. till now, is fair to say this is the best giant robot anime since Eureka Seven? Maybe i'm getting a litte too excited about the show, but i don't remember any recent mecha show being this fun to watch.

I think you're getting a little too excited about the show. :p

It's pretty good so far but giant robot shows, especially those with a serious tone, have this tendency to flame out and crash part way through. I'm hoping we get a decent resolution of the plot and all the questions with regards to what really happened on Mars and wtf Aldnoah is and so on but if this is really only 13 episodes I'm not all that hopeful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Will it only be 13 though? MAL says as much, but the wiki and Cruncyroll claim it's going to be 24.

Pierce_The_Heavens
Feb 7, 2014
I've heard it's going to be split cour, so we should get 24-26, but MAL lists split cour separately so that's why it says 13. I haven't found a solid source either way though, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

wielder posted:

Beyond that, if Aldnoah is a supernatural force of some kind, I don't expect it to remain the exclusive monopoly of the enemy robots forever.

Provided the story doesn't simply decide to take things in the direction of the successful underdogs being crushed at the very end, that is.

LoGH is almost entirely underdogs constantly defeating a superior enemy force through wits and cunning. For 100+ Episodes. If this show can keep up this quality of writing until episode 13 and also give us some kind of resolution, it will have surpassed LoGH in my eyes.

Yes, I went there. :colbert:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

GimmickMan posted:

LoGH is almost entirely underdogs constantly defeating a superior enemy force through wits and cunning. For 100+ Episodes. If this show can keep up this quality of writing until episode 13 and also give us some kind of resolution, it will have surpassed LoGH in my eyes.

Yes, I went there. :colbert:

You can, even though I don't think you really should. I love LOGH but that's pure hyperbole and, more importantly, it's not a robot show at all. Plus I don't think the quality of writing in Aldnoah Zero is remotely comparable either, nor is it even trying to be a modern equivalent of LOGH in any way, shape or form. Judging radically different productions against LOGH is almost always a losing battle. While A/Z has been a nice series, so far, it's still another kind of anime.

Consider that the Alliance and the Empire were on a much more even footing, especially in terms of technology. Strategically speaking the Empire had more resources to throw at the war, but the numerical gap varied from battle to battle, sometimes being quite close. That's nothing like A/Z.

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 3, 2014

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
In addition, you have this kid in a trainer mecha who's completely surpassing soldiers who've had training and standard mechas. Maybe they messed up what the trainer mechas were and switched them. This boy could single handedly win this battle for the earthlings.

Neither side in LOGH acted nearly as dumb as the earthlings in this show. Maybe a bit a hubris but not outright idiocy.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

You haven't been watching the news much lately, have you?

It's amazing how the plot has lined up with current events.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GoldenNugget posted:

In addition, you have this kid in a trainer mecha who's completely surpassing soldiers who've had training and standard mechas. Maybe they messed up what the trainer mechas were and switched them. This boy could single handedly win this battle for the earthlings.

Neither side in LOGH acted nearly as dumb as the earthlings in this show. Maybe a bit a hubris but not outright idiocy.

Hmmmm, I can't agree. Soldiers are largely taught to follow procedure. Being able to think on one's feet and come up with new tactics is pretty drat rare and the risk taking behavior that Inaho shows to test his ideas is even rarer. It's really Inaho's calm analysis and nerves of steel that are more unbelievable than the fact that Joe-random soldier is getting his rear end kicked by hyper advanced Martians. Inaho is very lucky that he hasn't guessed wrong in a critical situation and gotten himself killed yet. Eventually I expect him to gently caress up and get captured, injured or let a bunch of people get killed to show how fragile his strategies really are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Inaho seems to have two big advantages - a fairly advanced understanding of physics and an inhuman ability to keep his cool under fire. The second one seems like it might be something soldiers should be better than most people at (though Inaho's take on it, with the random non-sequiteurs and all, suggests that he can only do so well at it thanks to actual brain problems), but the first one isn't really part of basic training.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'd be less generous with my suspension of disbelief if the show didn't portray him gradually working out how to neutralize each foe. Inaho never straight up wins the first time they make contact with a new one. So far the pattern seems to be 'barely escapes with life, while making acute observations for a comeback.' I haven't seen anything so far that would count as an insane intuitive leap out of nowhere.

Staying that calm under pressure IS weird, but since the characters in the show seem to notice too, I'm guessing he is meant to come off as not quite right in the head. The big war was 15 years ago, right? Childhood trauma seems like a safe bet. ANZ is no Galactic Heroes but it's a solidly entertaining show so far, and it handily beats out the competition. Poor, poor Argevollen. It wants to be Gundam so badly it hurts, but it keeps coming up short.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Inaho seems to have two big advantages - a fairly advanced understanding of physics and an inhuman ability to keep his cool under fire. The second one seems like it might be something soldiers should be better than most people at (though Inaho's take on it, with the random non-sequiteurs and all, suggests that he can only do so well at it thanks to actual brain problems), but the first one isn't really part of basic training.

Only experienced veterans would have noticeably better nerves than anyone else. You can't really replicate real situations with training because the threat of death isn't there. Until someone is actually in combat and being shot at by the enemy you can't tell whether they will panic, go all tunnel vision and stop thinking, freeze up or turn out to have the nerve to think and act.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

All signs point out that Inaho is Yang Wenli! Both got stuck in a military role thanks to their education, both are outwardly cool under pressure, both have a family member in the military, both are fighting an aristocratic empire and both have a knack for military tactics! :colbert:

...Hero's journey and matching themes and all that jazz.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 3, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

LoGH is great to the point it is unfair to compare it to genre shows and I frankly don't expect AZ to be more than a genre show with moments of brilliance. Hell, I walked into episode 1 expecting yet another Gargantia and and I'm still wary of the staff completely making GBS threads the bed. But that hasn't happened yet.

LoGH is also really long and didn't age too well. Do you really need that many episodes to tell your story about absolutism and democracy? Can we have antagonists with more personality to them than being space nazi caricatures?

The show's tagline is "Let justice be done though the heavens fall." and that leads me to believe we'll see either something about the show's backstory that explains why our space nazis came to be or some radical extremism from both sides of the conflict, either of which should give us a lot more of moral ambiguity. I'm not entirely sold on the characters yet, but I'm enjoying watching them deal with PTSD, quip about their relationship status, and scheme behind each other's backs.

At the same time the origins of the Vars don't seem to make sense, Inaho is a videogame protagonist, and we could end up wasting a bunch of episodes on the Knight of the Week. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but so far AZ has only pleasantly surprised me.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So what was sword guy's deal? He gets on the Terran guys case for wanting to fight. Then the next scene is him trying to reclaim his lost honor by attacking a boat full of civilians during a ceasefire.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Dr_Amazing posted:

So what was sword guy's deal? He gets on the Terran guys case for wanting to fight. Then the next scene is him trying to reclaim his lost honor by attacking a boat full of civilians during a ceasefire.

They had the audacity to attack him when he views them as subhuman. Then he wasn't allowed to fight back and get his revenge. It comes down to dumb pride (and anime writing).

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Dr_Amazing posted:

Vers people are kinda huge arrogant dicks. Which is hilarious because as far as we can tell from what we know, their entire "culture" is an utter sham built on plundered alien tech they don't understand. They have such little justification to feel superior, it's amazing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Vers are all such a bunch of idiot dicks that watching them get chumped on by some kid is really satisfying.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's like Mars is the Kerensky Cluster all over again.

E: Tanegashima is Tukayyid in this analogy.

Wait nevermind they stopped fighting cause the moon blew up.

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 8, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The Vers are such idiot dickbags that I want the regular faceless Earth mooks to start kicking their asses too. Unfortunately, they have to die to make the protagonist look cool. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

The Orbital Knights, unsurprisingly, have a warrior culture, where victory in battle is the highest honour. Slaine is a subhuman Earthling, so him asking for that glory is hella presumptuous. Meanwhile, the similarly subhuman Team Inaho damaged his holy Aldnoah-blessed Kataphrakt and humiliated him, and that's not an insult he's willing to let slide. I mean, they caved in its head with a shipping container. That's gotta sting.

• Locked thread