Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Robert Denby posted:

"The Third Man" (1949) also has two men living together who are obviously a gay couple, but its never outright stated so the filmmakers got away with it.

LGBT people have been represented in cinema, coded or otherwise, almost since cinema was invented. (I'm not going to try and make a claim for LGBT people being represented in, say, "workers leaving a factory", although statistically, I'm sure at least one of those workers was totally into having some fine gay sex. But whatever.) People are astounded when I tell them that there was a legit gay film made in 1918. Part of the reason for the prevalence of queer people in films, secretly or explicitly, is that..there were quite a few LGBT people in the entertainment industry, probably for a number of societal factors which I can't adequately explain (if you look at a list of old hollywood actors or directors, nearly half of them are rumoured to be LGBT.) And so they snuck a lot of obviously queer people into their films, confident that they'd get away with it if they just coded them in ways that would be obvious to people who actually knew about sexual minorities, but would sail over the head of a good deal of viewers, and the censors themselves. Audiences didn't "read too much into" things, reading into things was really all they had, in terms of LGBT representation.

But I'm sure you knew that already.

If I'm going to weigh in with the whole RLM thing, I only really watch Best of the Worst, which I absolutely love. I find the vlog style of half in the bag a bit boring, honestly. It's one thing watching a very short vlog, it's another watching an extremely long video on a film I'm not interested in seeing or hearing about. Mind you, I did like the Jack and Jill one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Echo Chamber posted:

Maybe it's not really the case but I always got the impression that Mike doesn't want to go see all the superhero and franchise movies that he ends up reviewing in HITB, but he does it because he knows his audience wants and expects him to.

That's something that really comes across when you see a lot of their behind the scenes or out of character stuff like the PreRec livestreams. Mike is actually the least nerdiest member of the RLM crew and tends to sigh and groan whenever Jack or Rich make a really nerdy or video game-y reference on BotW.

Like on every livestream he's there for, he just sits there quietly while everyone else is having fun riffing on each other.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

That's something that really comes across when you see a lot of their behind the scenes or out of character stuff like the PreRec livestreams. Mike is actually the least nerdiest member of the RLM crew and tends to sigh and groan whenever Jack or Rich make a really nerdy or video game-y reference on BotW.

Like on every livestream he's there for, he just sits there quietly while everyone else is having fun riffing on each other.

Well, I'm pretty sure Mike's the biggest Star Trek nerd of the bunch, but yeah, the livestreams have made it clear that he has less than zero interest in video games, for example. I wouldn't be surprised if he has no particular attachment or interest towards a lot of other nerdy stuff like superheroes or old cartoons or whatever.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Infamous Sphere posted:

(if you look at a list of old hollywood actors or directors, nearly half of them are rumoured to be LGBT.)

True story : Groucho Marx and Alice Cooper were close friends. In an interview, Cooper once said that they'd get together in his private movie theatre and watch a ton of old movies. Groucho would constantly be saying "They were gay, he was gay, she was gay" during all films.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Bad Wolf posted:

Groucho would constantly be saying "They were gay, he was gay, she was gay" during all films.

I've got a friend who does this too.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Haha, I kind of do that. Although more commonly, I'll pick up that a character is supposed to be gay before anyone else does, and then the minute it becomes obvious, I go "Yes! I knew it!"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Jay is the best from the gang, anyway.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Jay Jack is the best from the gang, anyway.

:colbert:

Seriously though, he's consistently my favorite part of whatever shows he's featured on, which is why I'm pretty glad he got his own bit with Rich (second favorite) in Previously Recorded.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killing Vector posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure Mike's the biggest Star Trek nerd of the bunch, but yeah, the livestreams have made it clear that he has less than zero interest in video games, for example. I wouldn't be surprised if he has no particular attachment or interest towards a lot of other nerdy stuff like superheroes or old cartoons or whatever.

Thank god

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think it sort of makes up for Jack being Egoraptor-lite, while Rich's the "Yeah I sorta know stuff about games" type.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
RedLetterMedia's stuff is the only consistent Internet only production I watch because I dig film and they are the only group that actually reviews film instead of summarizing the plot and throwing dumb wackiness over it.

Sure they add their own flair to it but the point of a review should be to analyze the content and not just summarize and point out plot holes. Half of the other stuff I've tried to watch that may have been suggested here has been overly amateur one liner "comedy" and stuff you can find on a simple plot synopsis, in my opinion as an observer that cares about content and production over strictly name associated entertainment value.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Just saw that Chris Stuckmann got hired at TGWTG. I've been watching his videos off and on for years.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
New Cinemadonna episode: Shanghai Surprise.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/tis/toddspecials/44288-cinemadonna-shanghai-surprise

I remember hearing from my mom that this is a really bad movie so this oughta be good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wouldn't mind if more of HITB's "geek movie" reviews end up like Transformers 4.

"So would you recommend The Amazing Spider-Man 3, Mike?"
"Nope. Would you, Jay?"
"No. Moving on..."

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Keep in mind HITB was never meant to be an in-depth scene-by-scene breakdown of a movie the way the Plinkett/TGWTG reviews are and you shouldn't be expecting to be. I like the tone of HITB moreso than the Plinkett reviews these days cause it's just two best bros that just got back from the movies hashing out their thoughts on it in the immediate.

I also love every single god drat thing RLM has ever done with the major exception of that dumb PrevRec Sonic video (not biased) they put out last week and that care bears thing that plays if you let the newest episode idle too long after it's over.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
RLM's best content are the twitch streams. :colbert:

But I love all of RLM, really. I like that Mike, Jay, Jack & Rich are all pretty strong as individuals and they all come together to work on different features and projects. They're like the Elephant 6 of amateur film making/criticism. No one is going to get that reference but whatever.

also Mike is extremely stubborn but that works with HiTB, Jay's more passionate and open and Mike is more rigid and stubborn. It's like a Siskel and Ebert thing going on. As someone who gives no shits about Boyhood, I found it hilarious that when Jay tried to give the idea of the film a chance all it seemed to do was fuel Mike's hatred.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 6, 2014

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Congratulations to Jay O, who just got engaged.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

echopapa posted:

Congratulations to Jay O, who just got engaged.

Hooray! Many cute and hairy nerd babies to you and Nash :)

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

cubs2084 posted:

Hooray! Many cute and hairy nerd babies to you and Nash :)

...she and nash broke up a year ago. i don't know who she is engaged to, but i assume it a guy name zac who write anime news on ANN, i stop following her just for losing intrest in anime. she is one of the better reviewers of anime and she is not a creep.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Cyron posted:

...she and nash broke up a year ago. i don't know who she is engaged to, but i assume it a guy name zac who write anime news on ANN, i stop following her just for losing intrest in anime. she is one of the better reviewers of anime and she is not a creep.

....well that shows you how much I pay attention to the personal lives of the internet reviewers I follow. Which is not a bad thing. The way the last iteration of this topic exploded for people caring way too much about the personal lives of internet reviewers shows how creepy it is to get too invested.

Even if I'm an idiot behind the times, congrats all the same, Hope, and much happiness to you both.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Lindsay's on the Patreon bandwagon now http://www.patreon.com/chezapocalypse

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Random Patreon question: Does it deduct all your pledges for a month separately or does it do it in one transaction?

I haven't used the service yet but am wary of international transaction fees etc. if it does 5 separate transactions (which is probably easier for them to track)

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

VodeAndreas posted:

Random Patreon question: Does it deduct all your pledges for a month separately or does it do it in one transaction?

I haven't used the service yet but am wary of international transaction fees etc. if it does 5 separate transactions (which is probably easier for them to track)

It charges you based on the number of patron posts the person does at the end of the month. So if you pledged 1.00 a post and they make 4 posts, you get charged 4.00 at the end. Not four 1.00 charges.

Oh, just noticed Lindsay has a straight 2.00 a month fee.

Leelee fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 7, 2014

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

SFDebris continues his adventures in crappy anime with Full Moon. At the very least this looks bland and kid-aimed, rather than reprehensible garbage like Kannazuki No Miko.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

poparena posted:

SFDebris continues his adventures in crappy anime with Full Moon. At the very least this looks bland and kid-aimed, rather than reprehensible garbage like Kannazuki No Miko.

Oh boy. More importantly, this one is 52 episodes. Of blandness. I'm not even sure if that's better than 13 episodes of complete poo poo. At least (bad) things happen in KnM, and it's over in, comparatively, a flash. I can only assume he isn't watching all the episodes of this, right? I didn't watch the video.

Someone make him watch something watchable already.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

VodeAndreas posted:

You get charged at the beginning of each month for all of the pledges you made in the previous month, and it happens in one single transaction. The individual creators have various methods of charging you (per thing, per month), but from your end, it all gets lumped into one payment to Patreon.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

poparena posted:

Wow, that was leagues better than his Kannazuki No Miko. At least this time it doesn't sound like he is about to quit the entire thing.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I'm glad to see Patreon is working for the various creators I like. Yet I've not felt compelled to contribute to anyone specifically yet. I'm happy to help by watching all the ads, but paying money directly seems a different animal I'm not quite comfortable with at the present time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cyron posted:

I still follow her, but I kind of have to avoid twitter when a new episode of Korra comes out :v:

I did also follow a bunch of the people of ANN, but their opinions of GOTG kind of made me unfollow them. I'm tired of hearing people complain that Marvel's style ruins creativity and is killing film as an artform.

But congrats to you JO and Zac, wish the best of luck :)

Also Angry Joe really like The Last of Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCV1DN6eBkI

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

achillesforever6 posted:

I did also follow a bunch of the people of ANN, but their opinions of GOTG kind of made me unfollow them. I'm tired of hearing people complain that Marvel's style ruins creativity and is killing film as an artform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCV1DN6eBkI

These people do review anime for living, right? Seriously, you can label a lot of criticism at Marvel, but fundamentally their movies are no different from most other summer blockbusters.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They don't like it.

It's different.

They don't like different.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Wait, what? I mean I have heard people say they don't like the Marvel films because they are either too kiddie or don't like the idea of multiple franchises having a single continuity. But how does the MCU kill movies as an artform?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, what? I mean I have heard people say they don't like the Marvel films because they are either too kiddie or don't like the idea of multiple franchises having a single continuity. But how does the MCU kill movies as an artform?

I don't know, ask the guys who write Current Releases on the front page. (In fairness, they've been a lot warmer to Guardians of the Galaxy and the Winter Soldier than they were to previous films).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Beefstew posted:

I don't know, ask the guys who write Current Releases on the front page. (In fairness, they've been a lot warmer to Guardians of the Galaxy and the Winter Soldier than they were to previous films).
Or the Comic Book movie thread at CD, but then again that is mostly SMG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cyron posted:

I unfollowed her because she got really mad about RWBY for some reason and kept yelling NERDS over and over at the people who like it and the people who make it.

Friendly reminder that this woman reviews anime for a living. Kind of a stones in glass houses thing. Like, RWBY is pretty poo poo, but come on.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Endorph posted:

I unfollowed her because she got really mad about RWBY for some reason and kept yelling NERDS over and over at the people who like it and the people who make it.

Friendly reminder that this woman reviews anime for a living. Kind of a stones in glass houses thing. Like, RWBY is pretty poo poo, but come on.
After seeing it on Zorak’s stream, I thought RWBY deserved every bit of hate it got, especially since it was a professionally-made production and not some fan project. Also the guy who made it did that Halo-Metroid crossover animation that was big a few years ago that ended with Master Chief (revealed to be a hot lady under the helmet) and Samus making out. Classy!

BigRed0427 posted:

e X posted:

Seriously, you can label a lot of criticism at Marvel, but fundamentally their movies are no different from most other summer blockbusters.
I think like a lot of people they’re at the point where they’re sick of 90% of wide-release movies being superheroes, and Marvel is pumping these movies out at a lightning pace. They also recently fired Edgar Wright for apparently not playing ball, and that's just added more fuel to the fire.

Also “Guardians of the Galaxy” in particular is getting flack because James Gunn, its director, has said some outrageously stupid things like “Why is committing rape such a taboo in video games when murder isn’t?”, has said some pretty homophobic things on his website, and has been accused many times of misogyny, which extends into a couple of scenes in “Guardians of the Galaxy” apparently.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Robert Denby posted:

After seeing it on Zorak’s stream, I thought RWBY deserved every bit of hate it got, especially since it was a professionally-made production and not some fan project. Also the guy who made it did that Halo-Metroid crossover animation that was big a few years ago that ended with Master Chief (revealed to be a hot lady under the helmet) and Samus making out. Classy!

i don't think anyone here is going to fight that RWBY is poo poo, but the way she act to fans on twitter is spoony-like in rudeness. that is the issue people have with her, not hating a shity anime but the way she react to fans is why spoony got in the shitpile he was in.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Anime fans deserve no better than what JO provides.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DoctorWhat posted:

Anime fans deserve no better than what JO provides.

so if spoony attacked anime fans he is a monster? And every anime fan is a horny MRA nutjobs.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cyron posted:

so if spoony attacked anime fans he is a monster?

I don't think the words in this post make any sense in the order they were posted.

Could you try actually constructing a sentence or even, ~gasp~, a meaningful argument next time?

• Locked thread