Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If anyone is bored, this is a short oral history of the first night game. Some great stuff in there. Eric Gregg loving over Sutcliffe is funny. Harry Grossman sat a few rows in front of us and would sign autographs at the games for the next couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

If anyone is bored, this is a short oral history of the first night game. Some great stuff in there. Eric Gregg loving over Sutcliffe is funny. Harry Grossman sat a few rows in front of us and would sign autographs at the games for the next couple years.

This is really good and everyone should read it!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Marlins reliever Dan Jennings took a Jordy Mercer line drive directly to the side of the head today (it hit him so hard that it popped up high enough for the shortstop to catch it in the air for an out) and had to be carted off the field and taken to the hospital. Word from the Marlins is that his CT has come back with nothing more serious than a concussion.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

$50 and worth it

so Werth it

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

commy gun posted:

$50 and worth it

so Werth it

I got stuck at L'Enfant Plaza for 60 minutes because of that loving gnome.

I didn't get one, either.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I bet in the late '80s people were making cracks about how no one alive could remember a Cubs World Series win, and I'm sure Grossman took enormous pride in saying "I remember!" The man started going to games in 1906. So he got two in his first three seasons as a fan and then nothing for the remaining 84 years (and 4,000+ games).

Now that's a sports fan.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
He made it to age 94.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-04-16/news/9102030728_1_lights-at-wrigley-field-cub-fan-cubs-director

God Bless 'em. That's a fan.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

commy gun posted:

$50 and worth it

so Werth it
My friend who did get there is bringing me mine tomorrow. I can't wait.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Stephen Vogt seems like a pretty cool dude.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Some dudes next to me at a bar in central Illinois were insistent that Baez is the next Gary Sheffield.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Mornacale posted:

Marlins reliever Dan Jennings took a Jordy Mercer line drive directly to the side of the head today (it hit him so hard that it popped up high enough for the shortstop to catch it in the air for an out) and had to be carted off the field and taken to the hospital. Word from the Marlins is that his CT has come back with nothing more serious than a concussion.

This was pretty terrifying to watch as Dan stumbled around in a daze before completely collapsing to his knees with a blank stare on his face. I know that hat looks loving Stupid but I'm totally down if it prevents stuff like that.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

http://deadspin.com/hunter-pence-enjoys-your-sick-burns-1617826715

owns

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Some dudes next to me at a bar in central Illinois were insistent that Baez is the next Gary Sheffield.

So you were sitting next to some relative pessimists?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

MaximumBob posted:

Gary Sheffield was a really loving good hitter.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

MaximumBob posted:

That is not derogatory. Sheff owns.

Dude's first ten years was an ops+ of 158. That is really loving valuable.

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 8, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm pretty sure he was making fun of most Cubs fans for being insane when it comes to their current prospects, not saying Sheffield was bad.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

MourningView posted:

I'm pretty sure he was making fun of most Cubs fans for being insane when it comes to their current prospects, not saying Sheffield was bad.

That makes much more sense.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
MaximumBob is making a joke about the category 5 hurricane of hype that's surrounding Baez in that part of the country right now thanks to the last couple years and Baez starting his MLB career at Coors Field, against 2014 Rockies pitching. Pessimists think he's Gary Sheffield, optimists think he's Babe Ruth in the middle infield.

edit: Curse you, MV

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That makes sense. Doesn't Baez strike out a lot right now?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Crion posted:

MaximumBob is making a joke about the category 5 hurricane of hype that's surrounding Baez in that part of the country right now thanks to the last couple years and Baez starting his MLB career at Coors Field, against 2014 Rockies pitching. Pessimists think he's Gary Sheffield, optimists think he's Babe Ruth in the middle infield.

Write more succinctly for us.

BTW you have anything down the pipe? I heard about SOE like today and you've probably been asked a hundred ties already.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

MourningView posted:

Thanks. I think that Baez is a good prospect, but there's a vast gulf between "good prospect" and Gary Sheffield. The Cubs have a bunch of good prospects, but the odds are overwhelmingly against any of them having a career like Sheffield.

And the only ways that Baez really compares to Sheffield are bat speed (which is where this comp started, I think - I'm pretty sure some scout gave a blind quote about Baez's bat speed being the best he'd seen since Sheffield) and the fact that they both were shortstop prospects.

Crion posted:

The Cubs are going to have to make a decision soon though, because Baez is probably a way better pitcher than Ruth.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Baez is really good but his skillset isn't really anything like Sheff's. He's not going to hit for average or get on base the way Sheff did.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Utterly terrible fielder, won a World Series with the Marlins. Sounds right on the mark actually.

I have no idea how Baez's glove is, that might not be a good comparison.

e: Marlins 2017 WS champs! :shepface:

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 8, 2014

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Write more succinctly for us.

BTW you have anything down the pipe? I heard about SOE like today and you've probably been asked a hundred ties already.

Stuff's happening/being talked about. I'll be popping up other places soon. Can't be too much more specific than that right now.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That makes sense. Doesn't Baez strike out a lot right now?

A shitload, yes. Obviously the Colorado series was fun for a debut, but we'll get to see how good teams beat him here before too long.

mentholmoose posted:

I have no idea how Baez's glove is, that might not be a good comparison.

Let's put it this way: he was kept at shortstop for most of the minors because he's athletic enough. There was never really a conversation of him being a shortstop in Chicago because Starlin Castro is better defensively with a few years under his belt. And yes, I really did just say that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crion posted:

that's what you get for using all them words, writer boy

(glad you are going to still be writing places btw)

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Explosionface posted:

A shitload, yes. Obviously the Colorado series was fun for a debut, but we'll get to see how good teams beat him here before too long.

Let's put it this way: he was kept at shortstop for most of the minors because he's athletic enough. There was never really a conversation of him being a shortstop in Chicago because Starlin Castro is better defensively with a few years under his belt. And yes, I really did just say that.

It's probably good to mention that Jed Hoyer has openly said they expect Baez to struggle and wanted him to come up in a situation where he'd get a decent experience and then have some time off to make adjustments. So the Cubs themselves clearly expect a few brutal stretches from Baez over the next few weeks.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I Want to Go to the Zoo with Roy Halladay went to the zoo with Roy Halladay

https://twitter.com/zoowithroy/status/497753934027849728/photo/1

(he's a Phillies blogger)

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
“This past stretch, since the All-Star break, has been awful for those guys. It’s not fair to them once we get them in there to expect them to do much because they’re not getting the chances.”

That's a quote from Mike Matheny. It's glad to see that he admits that he was in the wrong when it came to the handling of Osc- oh wait that's from an article about getting daniel descalso and mark ellis time in the field this weekend

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's going to put Descalso in the outfield, just wait.

Did he say that last night? After the guy they'd be replacing hit two homers? Christ, that guy.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

MourningView posted:

He's going to put Descalso in the outfield, just wait.

Did he say that last night? After the guy they'd be replacing hit two homers? Christ, that guy.

lol if only. descalso is getting a SS start and he hinted at one of them playing 1b

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

N: White Sox outscored 45 to 6 over the last 3 games

V: Adam Dunn should go in for tjs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mark Ellis at first base. Sure. Of course. Why not.

The one Cards game I went to in person he started Descalso at short and I think he made three errors in the first two innings. I should get a refund or something.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's entirely fair to them. They are terrible and shouldn't be starting right now.

Holliday/Taveras should DH and make our outfield defense better with Bourjos. But instead Matheny feels bad so he will start descalso. I hate Matheny.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 8, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

N: Trevor May is supposedly being called up to start for the Twins on Saturday.

V: loving finally.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I seem to recall matheny saying something like that last year too but maybe I just want to think that happened.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The Rangers have 8 players with a wRC+ over 100. 3 of them are pitchers, 2 of them are on the DL, and 1 of them is Adam Rosales.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
N:

V: hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Born Approx.