Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
wait i thought wiki already accepted them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

wait i thought wiki already accepted them?

Sorry, that was posted from January earlier this year

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-January/129474.html

The point being that they need to clear 500k a year in donations to make it worthwhile.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

quote:

You are asking how to break the law. We dont want that here. Go talk about that on subs where that is the explicit purpose.

Can I make anonymous btc donations to myself in order to clean my cash so I can spend it?
submitted by dirtymelvin

If i want to turn a sizeable amount of btc into cash that i can use to buy things like real estate or cars without having to worry about the IRS could i do something like accept btc donations or make up some bullshit pdf for sale? i was thinking that i could make donations to myself or buy my own product using btc to maintain anonymity. this way i can pay taxes on the income and not have to worry about the IRS.

edit: I originally posted this question in /r/darknetmarkets but someone suggested asking here instead. I now see that this was a bad idea due to the number of moralfags here.

[-] say592 2 points
Why not just pay taxes on it? You can take it as a short term capital gain.

|   [-] dirtymelvin 0 point
|   And assuming that said btc were acquired in a illegal manner?
|   
|   |   [-] geckofawkes 3 points
|   |   Ah, so now you want us to assist you in your crime? Don't think so, and remember, they didn't get Capone for a physical/violent crime.
|   |   
|   |   [-] say592 1 point
|   |   So you are asking us to help you figure out the ins and outs of money laundering?
|   |   
|   |   |   [-] dirtymelvin 0 point
|   |   |   http://www.troll.me/images/sarcasm-face/hmmmm-i-think-he-gets-it-thumb.jpg
|   |   |   
|   |   [-] darthmayter 1 point
|   |   tsk tsk
|   |   
[-] btemtd 1 point
Why would you say this kind of poo poo in public.. what an idiot..you do know law makers, journalists, politicians read this stuff. Your a fool!! You obviously dnt give a fuk about reputation of btc

|   [-] dirtymelvin 1 point
|   you're*
|   
|   You're a fool if you think they don't already know the ins and outs of laundering and online drug sales already. You sound like one of those dolts who cry about compromising opsec when someone asks for advice on safe shipping practices in dnm.
|   
|   ps: do you know why btc is successful? DARK NET MARKETS AND ILLEGAL PRODUCTS.
|   
|   |   [-] say592 0 point
|   |   The thing is, this is not a dark net sub. Most of us here detest the association of bitcoin with dark net markets.
|   |   
|   |   You are asking how to break the law. We dont want that here. Go talk about that on subs where that is the explicit purpose.
|   |   
[-] avout 1 point
Isn't the problem buying bitcoins using cash? Unless there is a machine with a cash receptacle it would have to go through some electronic path, no?

|   [-] dirtymelvin 1 point
|   Buying BTC anonymously is easy. Pre-paid card, public wifi+VPN+TOR.
|   
|   |   [-] slowLearnered 0 point
|   |   pre-paid card? Where do you get the card and what do you do with it?
|   |   
[-] cipher_gnome 2 points
There are many ways to hide bitcoins. That does not make it legal though.

[-] zluckdog 2 points
I think this has been asked/discussed a few times now. You can try and hide source of coins but consider that bitcoin protocol is a 'public record', you are trying to do something that is contrary to the very nature of the system.

Other people have suggested using coinfog but lately people have posted about it selectively scamming users.

Other people have suggested instead to send coins through multiple exchanges. This might not be the best idea as, with MtGox being under investigation, no doubt stemming from SilkRoad coins being traced to there. If you were to use an exchange that later gets it's records sent/taken to FBI/IRS then you risk being investigated.

But consider this: say you are successful in moving money through [whatever process] and then back to yourself, you would still want to get some USD. Years of AML laws have made no easy way to do this & any idea you think up, has already been tried before.

Bottom line: You are asking the wrong people. Go ask a banker how they launder their own money, they are the experts, they have years of experience.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You know what I can't figure out? How is it that all these stupid Neanderthal Mafia guys can be so good at crime and smart guys like us can suck so badly at it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dren posted:

You know what I can't figure out? How is it that all these stupid Neanderthal Mafia guys can be so good at crime and smart guys like us can suck so badly at it?

man, office space would be a lot shittier if it came out today.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
pc load letter?? *googles* oh ok that makes sense

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

haveblue posted:

what would i do if i had a million dollars? be a horse's full toilet (everything about it)

alt: what would i do if i had a million dollars? two ponies at the same time

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

no way, printers still suck

oh what's that? you'd like to download a driver? here have unifieddriver.exe. what do you mean it doesn't support your printer??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dren posted:

no way, printers still suck

oh what's that? you'd like to download a driver? here have unifieddriver.exe. what do you mean it doesn't support your printer??

more like, what do you mean it doesn't support the arcane PCL your LOB reporting application spits out and in any case can't handle print queue forwarding from your workstation

gently caress your needs, it's unified!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dren posted:

How would Bitcoin make it easier to navigate government bureaucracy?
submitted by throwmeowy

My Dad gifted his car to me. My job was to go to the local tax collector's office to transfer the title and get a new registration sticker (TX USA). I thought I had all the documentation and forms in order, but I did not, so I ended up wasting my time. Will distributed ledgers like Bitcoin make this easier in the future?

Extra details...my Dad filled out the gift form and notarized it in 2012. I never got around to filing the paperwork, and he died last December. I finally brought the documents to the taxman in person today. But, my Dad did not use exactly the same name for me (e.g. Jr. vs. II) on the title as on the gift form. So now I have to bring the original testamentary, and get the executor of the estate to correct the title. Of course, the executor is in another state, so we have to snailmail these original documents to each other.

All of it seems ridiculous in a post-Bitcoin world where property changes hands reliably because math, but would a distributed ledger really help? How? Thanks for reading!

[-] Easy-Target 2 points
One day Bitcoin will make the State obsolete.

[-] paleh0rse 1 point
It's almost trivial to tie an asset title to something like colored coins + VIN number.

The problem is that no court or agency will recognize it as an official representation of ownership... yet.

| [-] MistakeNotDotDotDot 2 points
| > The problem is that no court or agency will recognize it as an official representation of ownership... yet.
|
|
| Well, what do you do if you gently caress up and lose the coin?
|
| | [-] paleh0rse 2 points
| | Arbitration services would need to be set up to handle those situations and reissue the asset with another coin.
| |
[-] acusticthoughts 1 point
Harder to track bribes

I'm the entity with universal binding power of arbitration
and the means to enforce those decisions
which makes the State obsolete

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Just had this idea about a use case that is possible with Bitcoin and decentralisation. Curious what reddit thinks (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 37 minutes ago by zooitjezooitje

Here's my idea:

Decentralised advertising.

Participants store ads/banners with payment information on the blockchain and pay eachother directly with Bitcoin per click/view, without the middleman.

What do you think? As i'm not technical enough i wonder: Can it be done? And do you think it is a good idea?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
good stuff by !...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543334&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1322#post433255606

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

An ideas about ideas guy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bitcoiners slowly discovering without realizing why deflationary currency is awful

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bloody posted:

bitcoiners slowly discovering without realizing why deflationary currency is awful

the best part has to be this part

quote:

I understand that for moon landing we need to spend, but I'm not going to spend because there's already people like you that will hopefully take care of it. Not interested in knowing 4 years from now that gallon of gas had an opportunity cost of millions of dollars like the pizza did.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Someone said moralfag in tyool 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is the best part of the Harry Potter fanfic (discovered after 7 seconds of looking didn't want to accidentally exceed the laughchain limit), can we just quote this part instead of the whole thing from now on?

Harry Potter cocks cocks cocks posted:

By the eldritch rites of Satoshi, transfer to my exchange’s account three infinitely divisible currency units. I’ll bounce a fraction of them off your toy network into something that the Stellarmus spell will trade for a ChoChang!JPY, swap that for a cryptocurrency with actual value, and turn you into a value pump.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just post the randian harry potter imotbqh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

“You’re a wizard, Harry,” Hagrid said. “And you’re coming to Hogwarts.”

“What’s Hogwarts?” Harry asked.

“It’s wizard school.”

“It’s not a public school, is it?”

“No, it’s privately run.”

“Good. Then I accept. Children are not the property of the state; everyone who wishes to do so has the right to offer educational goods or services at a fair market rate. Let us leave at once.”

“Malfoy bought the whole team brand-new Nimbus Cleansweeps!” Ron said, like a poor person. “That’s not fair!”

“Everything that is possible is fair,” Harry reminded him gently. “If he is able to purchase better equipment, that is his right as an individual. How is Draco’s superior purchasing ability qualitatively different from my superior Snitch-catching ability?”

“I guess it isn’t,” Ron said crossly.

Harry laughed, cool and remote, like if a mountain were to laugh. “Someday you’ll understand, Ron.”

Professor Snape stood at the front of the room, sort of Jewishly. “There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don’t expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few who possess, the predisposition…I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death.”

Harry’s hand shot up.

“What is it, Potter?” Snape asked, irritated.

“What’s the value of these potions on the open market?”

“What?”

“Why are you teaching children how to make these valuable products for ourselves at a schoolteacher’s salary instead of creating products to meet modern demand?”

“You impertinent boy–”

“Conversely, what’s to stop me from selling these potions myself after you teach us how to master them?”

“I–”

“This is really more of a question for the Economics of Potion-Making, I guess. What time are econ lessons here?”

“We have no economics lessons in this school, you ridiculous boy.”

Harry Potter stood up bravely. “We do now. Come with me if you want to learn about market forces!”

The students poured into the hallway after him. They had a leader at last.

Harry and Ron stood before the Mirror of Erised. “My God,” Ron said. “Harry, it’s your dead parents.”

Harry’s eyes flicked momentarily over to the mirror. “So it is. This information is neither useful nor productive. Let us leave at once, to assist Hagrid in his noble enterprise of raising as many dragon eggs as he sees fit, in spite of our country’s unjust dragon-trading restrictions.”

“But it’s your parents, Harry,” Ron said. Ron never really got it.

Harry sighed. “The fundamental standard for all relationships is the trader principle, Ron.”

“I don’t understand,” Ron said.

“Of course you don’t,” said Harry affectionately. “This principle holds that we should interact with people on the basis of the values we can trade with them – values of all sorts, including common interests in art, sports or music, similar philosophical outlooks, political beliefs, sense of life, and more. Dead people have no value according to the trader principle.”

“But they gave birth to y–”

“I made myself, Ron,” Harry said firmly.

“Give me your wand, boy,” Voldemort hissed.

“I cannot do that. This wand represents my wealth, which is itself a tangible result of my achievements. Wealth is the product of man’s capacity to think,” Harry said bravely.

Voldemort gasped.

“There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.”

Voldemort began to melt. Harry lit a cigarette, because he was the master of fire.

“The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. The minimum wage is a tax on the successful. The market will naturally dictate the minimum wage without the government stepping in to determine arbitrary limits.”

Voldemort howled.

“I’m going to sell copies of my wand at an enormous markup,” Harry said, “and you can buy one like everyone else.”

Voldemort had been defeated.

“He hated us for our freedom,” Ron said.

“No, Ron,” Harry said. “He hated us for our free markets.”

Hermione ached with desire for the both of them to master her, but nobody paid her any attention. They had empires to build.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
mallory ortberg owns

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Dren posted:

[-] paleh0rse 1 point
It's almost trivial to tie an asset title to something like colored coins + VIN number.

The problem is that no court or agency will recognize it as an official representation of ownership... yet.

:cop: "license and registration"

:bigtran: "sure thing, officer. while i do not consent to this aggression against my sovereign person - if you check the blockchain, you can easily see that this car is registered to myself via coloured coin A92h1dongs811droolyDONGS113h1l."

:cop: "you're a shining beacon to us all, stay safe and god bless citizen."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Same Great Paste posted:

:cop: "license and registration"

:bigtran: "sure thing, officer. while i do not consent to this aggression against my sovereign person - if you check the blockchain, you can easily see that this car is registered to myself via coloured coin A92h1dongs811droolyDONGS113h1l."

:cop: "you're a shining beacon to us all, stay safe and god bless citizen."

please wait while I transfer this coin around so that you can tell that I actually have ownership of it

whoops sent it to a blackhole address by accident i guess now i dont own the car, it's owned by someone at 1111H1tlerD1dNothingWronggggggJewv

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quote:

A shining white dollar flew out of his wand. “I AM THE STRONGEST FORCE THERE IS,” it shouted. “I AM AN OBJECTIVE MEASUREMENT OF THE GOOD. I CANNOT BE DIMINISHED OR COMPROMISED.”
mods, please, this entire paragraph

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Bitcoin ending wars (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by showrun

I saw that talk about how btc can end wars since govs can't just print off money. My question is whats there to stop the governments from borrowing btc from an entity who is willing to let us borrow btc since they will pay the btcs with interest! Where do they get the money? From invading a country with those btcs and selling the natural resources of that country to pay off its btc loan with interest and still have extra for itself from robbing that nation.

Thanks

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Thank's,

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

gas

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i missed this thread. I missed you all

:gas:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

:agreed:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
yospos bithcoin

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The fact that you're talking about it by definition means that it's not stupid :smug:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LOL trolling you from his moms house

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

wait, which thing is shrem going to jail for again?

i will enjoy when he goes to jail

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
if it was [sic] stupid you wouldn't be posting it in yospos :smug:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

theflyingorc posted:

wait, which thing is shrem going to jail for again?

i will enjoy when he goes to jail

just a reminder because this owns always and forever

quote:

APRIL 15, 2014
Scruffy-faced New York City Bitcoin playboy Charlie Shrem is in some seriously hot water and deep, too. Perhaps as deep as the known partier might have been into Silk Road, where he allegedly scored drugs and poured money into the underground drug trade.

The outspoken 24-year-old former vice chairman of the Bitcoin Foundation and former CEO of the popular BitInstant exchange, a Bitcoin-rich millionaire who dubbed himself “Charlie Van Bitcoin,” is currently under house arrest at his parents’ Brooklyn residence. A prodigal millennial back at home with his parents. Very original.

News of Shrem’s new domestic “situation” follows the flashy Bitcoin evangelist’s indictment over his alleged role in laundering some $1 million on the “Amazon of the black markets,” the anonymous ecommerce site Silk Road. The Feds shook down and shut down the “online drug bazaar” last October. Last month, authorities announced the grand jury indictment of Ross Ulbricht, a.k.a. “Dread Pirate,” the alleged mastermind of the shady marketplace.

Related: BitInstant CEO Arrested for Alleged Ties to Silk Road

Shrem himself reportedly trolled Silk Road to buy drugs, likely weed, for himself. He was formally indicted April 10 following a failed bid to reach a plea bargain agreement.

The U.S. Department of Justice arrested him on Jan. 27 at JFK Airport on money laundering charges related to accusations that he sold more than $1 million worth of BTC to Silk Road sharks to use to score drugs and other illegal goods. Also on Jan. 27, the Feds also arrested Florida restaurant owner Robert Faiella, Shrem’s alleged co-conspirator, the self-crowned “BTCKing.”

According to the Justice Department’s criminal complaint, the charges filed against Shrem and Faiella include “conspiring to commit money laundering, and operating an unlicensed money transmitting business.” Additionally, Shrem is charged with “willfully failing to file any suspicious activity report regarding Faiella’s illegal transactions through the Company, in violation of the Bank Secrecy Act.”

Shrem is scheduled to be arraigned in two weeks in front U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff. His lawyer, Marc Agnifilo, has said that his client intends to plead not guilty. If convicted, the Bitcion baron and media darling could serve a 20-year prison sentence.

Related: Alleged Founder of Silk Road Pleads Not Guilty, Will Stand Trial in November

BitInstant, which Shrem founded while still an undergrad in 2011 and the Winklevoss twins backed with $1.5 million in seed money, went dark the day of Shrem’s initial arrest. The company is at the epicenter of a class-action suit filed on behalf of customers. They claim that the BitInstant falsely represented its services and failed to properly carry them out.

Shrem was an early Bitcoin adopter and champion, reportedly buying 500 BTC during his senior year at Brooklyn College, back when they were still a bargain at around $3 or $4 each. When the price rose to $20 he purchased “thousands more.” At press time, the Bitcoin price neared $500 at $492.99, according to the CoinDesk Price Index.

The controversial and widely misunderstood cryptocurrency has bumped along a rocky road in the wake of the fall of Mt. Gox, only compounded by rumors that the People’s Bank of China (PBOC), China’s central bank, was considering imposing limits on Bitcoin transactions. The price shot up by approximately 10 percent after PBOC governor Zhou Xiaochuan’s recent reassurance that the bank won’t ban Bitcoin.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Proteus4994 posted:

just a reminder because this owns always and forever

quote:

While he kept one eye on the current Netflix (some old Angelina Jolie movie), he explained his jumpy leg and how the cabin fever had gotten so bad, so quickly. "I'm all hosed-up," he said. "Antsy, tired, confused, depressed. No more huge parties now.
"There's a nipple!" he abruptly said to the TV, cutting himself off. "She was so young then."
But it was nearing midnight, and Charlie had his trainer coming in the morning. The last thing I asked him was what the future looked like for Bitcoin--and whether he still wanted to be an evangelist for the cause. "Yes, I do," he said, too tired to match the voice to the meaning. "It's gonna be amazing. Bitcoin is going to change the world."
HACK THE PLANET

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

^^^^ thanks :3:

someone find the interview where he was such a sperg he watched an Angelina Jolie movie on netflix while in an interview in his bedroom and interjected, "I SAW A NIPPLE!"

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Any time Shrem tweets anything just reply with "There's a nipple!" and a link to that article. We need a bot that does this.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Proteus4994 posted:

Any time Shrem tweets anything just reply with "There's a nipple!" and a link to that article. We need a bot that does this.

:drat:

I'll start the wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

• Locked thread