Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

V!ntar posted:

What about :darksouls:? The feeling of dread is palpable, and some areas of the game are breathtakingly beautiful. If you can, just play it, but if you need a small spoiler of a secret area of the game in order to be convinced, check this, and listen to the area music:

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/images162/1128870-1354118568.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if5sU1mUrQU

The sequel is a billion times more visually immpresive, but spergs might argue is the worst of the two. I think it's better, but that's just me.

Sequel has better combat and more world variety in exchange for worse level design and overall inter-connected-ness. They're both loving amazing games, and the only reason why I didn't post :darksouls: to that one too is because we end up reccomending dark souls every page.

Seriously though goons if you haven't yet go play Dark Souls. Its so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Drakenel posted:

Also time for more recommendations for me! So goons, I was playing some mount and blade recently, and it got me to thinking. I enjoy a good metagame. The overworld map and all the conquering and poo poo I consider to be the metagame, or I call it that because I lack a better term. Anyway, I was wondering if there are other games with that fun kind of overlying layer. Other examples (That I own) are Xcom's geoscape, Starsector which is literally mount and blade in space, and in a weird way, fort zombie when you consider the gameplay is to build up the base defending metagame.

How about Total War? I spent so much time in the original Rome and eventually got to the point where I was just auto-summing the battles so I could get back to sending spies or whatever the gently caress against neighbouring countries so I could conquer the continent.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tagra posted:

How about Total War? I spent so much time in the original Rome and eventually got to the point where I was just auto-summing the battles so I could get back to sending spies or whatever the gently caress against neighbouring countries so I could conquer the continent.

A pro way to play Total War (and incidentally make it more like Mount and Blade) is to declare that you the player are in fact the faction leader. Meaning that you can command any battles for which you are personally present but must auto-resolve all others. Gives the empire management a much more personal feel.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
In the vein of Witcher 2 and Skyrim, what's a good swords and sorcery-esque open world RPG with decent combat that's come out since, say, 2010 or so? Dark Souls has kinda ruined me in the combat department but ah well.

In the genre I've played Kingdoms of Amalur and loathed it. I played Bound by Flame and enjoyed it because I could play a demonic sorceress who lit people on fire but it was a pretty poor game outside of the outstanding music. The Elder Scroll games are good but I don't have the patience to mod the poo poo out of them and I'm kinda burnt out on Skyrim. The Risen games interest me but look like it has a bit too floaty combat for my tastes.

If I can play as a woman that'd be fantastic too.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

The Iron Rose posted:

In the vein of Witcher 2 and Skyrim, what's a good swords and sorcery-esque open world RPG with decent combat that's come out since, say, 2010 or so? Dark Souls has kinda ruined me in the combat department but ah well.

In the genre I've played Kingdoms of Amalur and loathed it. I played Bound by Flame and enjoyed it because I could play a demonic sorceress who lit people on fire but it was a pretty poor game outside of the outstanding music. The Elder Scroll games are good but I don't have the patience to mod the poo poo out of them and I'm kinda burnt out on Skyrim. The Risen games interest me but look like it has a bit too floaty combat for my tastes.

If I can play as a woman that'd be fantastic too.

Divinity 2 has mediocre gameplay with some fantastic character writing. No idea what the story is in the game (something about dragons and you become a dragon and a dude doesn't like dragons), but each quest you get is just fantastic.

And you should consider Risen. I like its combat way better than Witcher 2, but I felt Witcher 2s combat was 'floaty.' Risen requires accurate timing to combat, you can't just wail away on every enemy, but if you play well you can beat dudes above your level.

Edit: Risen 1 probably has my favorite combat in an rpg after Dark Souls.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 6, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Leper Residue posted:

Divinity 2 has mediocre gameplay with some fantastic character writing. No idea what the story is in the game (something about dragons and you become a dragon and a dude doesn't like dragons), but each quest you get is just fantastic.

And you should consider Risen. I like its combat way better than Witcher 2, but I felt Witcher 2s combat was 'floaty.' Risen requires accurate timing to combat, you can't just wail away on every enemy, but if you play well you can beat dudes above your level.

I also played Divinity 2, I forgot to mention :P. Was interested but kinda underwhelmed by the combat. I realize I'm being kinda unhelpful here.

I'll look into Risen though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Tagra posted:

I do own rome total war! And medieval 2... But I have forgotten that I had them and they're on disk. I should install them. Thank you for reminding me!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

The Iron Rose posted:

I also played Divinity 2, I forgot to mention :P. Was interested but kinda underwhelmed by the combat. I realize I'm being kinda unhelpful here.

I'll look into Risen though.

Yeah, the Divinity series has always been more about writing than gameplay. So if that's all you're interested in I could see it being a turn off.

But if you ever do find an open world rpg with combat at least almost as good as Dark souls, and it doesn't have Souls in the title, please say something. Been looking for forever.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

I want to play an aesthetically and thematically interesting game. Gameplay and graphical quality are unimportant, and it can be on PC or anything a PC can emulate.

good examples
Killer 7
No More Heroes
The Void
Cargo
Katamari Damacy
Tail of the Sun
Yume Nikki
Siren
Deadly Premonition
Michigan
Pathologic
Receiver

bad examples
LSD
Mr. Mosquito
A lot of poorly-conceived indie platformers

Kentucky Route Zero? Hotline Miami?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

I want to play an aesthetically and thematically interesting game. Gameplay and graphical quality are unimportant, and it can be on PC or anything a PC can emulate.

Vangers , it's certainly aesthetically and thematically interesting, I suspect :shroom: were involved in some quantity, but not enough to take it quite as far as LSD
From Dust , it has terraforming through songs, toast-faced men and nacho-faced women

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 6, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

good examples
Killer 7
No More Heroes
The Void
Cargo
Katamari Damacy
Tail of the Sun
Yume Nikki
Siren
Deadly Premonition
Michigan
Pathologic
Receiver

bad examples
LSD
Mr. Mosquito
A lot of poorly-conceived indie platformers

The Dream Machine is a fascinating little adventure game done entirely with claymation. It's not actually finished yet (there's two chapters to go, but both creators are hard at work with regular updates), but it's an interesting title without any real moon logic puzzles.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I want to play a game that is surprisingly high-quality, you know, those hidden gems that you'd never expect to be one of the best games you've played in years. I'm thinking of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. I'd like something exciting, with non-mediocre visuals and solid gameplay (nothing 2D or puzzle-based)

Bonus points if it's sorta cheap.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are some good RTSs from the last few years? I haven't played much from that genre since World in Conflict which I loved. Has there been anything similar since?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

black.lion posted:

I want to play a game that is surprisingly high-quality, you know, those hidden gems that you'd never expect to be one of the best games you've played in years. I'm thinking of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. I'd like something exciting, with non-mediocre visuals and solid gameplay (nothing 2D or puzzle-based)

I'd say give Warframe a try. Good visuals, satisfying gameplay in my opinion. It's a free to play game but the purchases are very innocuous. After 100 hours played I finally spent $20 and that's more than I need.

Check out the goon thread for the game below.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585612

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 6, 2014

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

black.lion posted:

I hear the new Wolfenstein is surprisingly good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

black.lion posted:

Sleeping Dogs?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

black.lion posted:

Red Faction: Guerrilla. To this day there is nothing like it. If you hurry you can pick it up right here for two frickin' dollars. Here is the video that you customarily post when recommending Red Faction: Guerrilla.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

black.lion posted:

Tomb Raider (2013)?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

black.lion posted:

MGS: Revengeance, if you only have a PC. I couldn't believe when it was ported.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

black.lion posted:

You should give Alpha Protocol a try. It kind of front-loads the worst parts of the game, but it is still the most reactive, immersive RPG I've ever played. I don't usually like RPGs, but this is one of my top ten games of all time.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
I'm back in the real world after literally not having internet or a PC for the past 22 months. (Drug addiction, rehab, blah blah blah).

I'm getting back into the PC game, and I'd like you recommendations for good games from the past ~4ish years? What are the big multiplayer games (FPS, MMO) out that goons are playing right now? Also, I dig big RPGs with huge worlds, backstories, lore like Morrowind, Dragon Age, and also strategy and sandbox games a la Civ and Tropico. Also, Sandbox games. It's realllly hard to sort through all the noise these days. Thanks

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

unterdude posted:

I'm back in the real world after literally not having internet or a PC for the past 22 months. (Drug addiction, rehab, blah blah blah).

I'm getting back into the PC game, and I'd like you recommendations for good games from the past ~4ish years? What are the big multiplayer games (FPS, MMO) out that goons are playing right now? Also, I dig big RPGs with huge worlds, backstories, lore like Morrowind, Dragon Age, and also strategy and sandbox games a la Civ and Tropico. Also, Sandbox games. It's realllly hard to sort through all the noise these days. Thanks

:darksouls: is going to get recommended to you a lot.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

unterdude posted:

The new Divinity: Original Sin is an RPG with a nice Infinity engine vibe to it. The biggest difference is that battle works on a turn-based action point system, instead of real-time with pause. Civ V also turned out okay with the Gods & Kings and Brave New World expansion packs.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

unterdude posted:

Both New Vegas and Skyrim came out in the last 4 years. If you haven't played those (grab Ultimate/GOTY editions), those are great.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

pigdog posted:

Tomb Raider (2013)?

Both excellent recommendations but I've beaten them thoroughly.

I've been waiting for a reason to try MGS:Revengeance, I'm hoping it can reach that old Ninja Gaiden itch once I unlock some combos or whatever. The combat in the demo didn't flow too well, hoping the full version feels different.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
My brother is looking for more Beat 'em ups on the PS2. He loves the Devil May Cry games, and is planning on getting God Hand in the future. I picked him up a copy of God of War 2, which we'd heard was the pinnacle of the series, and he absolutely detested it. With this in mind, what are some other great PS2 Beat 'em ups? PS1 recommendations that would fit this criteria are also welcome.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pengu! posted:

My brother is looking for more Beat 'em ups on the PS2. He loves the Devil May Cry games, and is planning on getting God Hand in the future. I picked him up a copy of God of War 2, which we'd heard was the pinnacle of the series, and he absolutely detested it. With this in mind, what are some other great PS2 Beat 'em ups? PS1 recommendations that would fit this criteria are also welcome.

DMC and DMC3 were kind of standout at the time and you won't find much like it. I'm a fan of the more unconventional (and slightly more traditional) brawlers: God Hand, The Warriors, The Mark of Kri, X-Men Legends, Baldur's Gate Dark Legacy, Forgotten Realms: Dragonstone, and Yakuza.

The Bouncer has a love/hate relationship with some people, I couldn't really stand it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm in a racing game mood, specifically on Steam (if possible).
I've been digging F1 2012, F1 2013, Assetto Corsa, and DiRT 3 for reference.

I also tried playing Xpand Rally Xtreme. I like it, except for the fact that it's broken so badly it prevents completion after about 3 races.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

black.lion posted:

Seconding two recommendations from above:
Alpha Protocol. The game didn't do well, but goddamn if it's not one of the better RPGs of its decade. The combat is a little eh, but it works, and the writing is just superb. You'll have no idea how differently the plot can go until you replay it with a different character.
Red Faction: Guerrilla. The video SolidSnakesBandana posted tells you all you need to know. (Though my personal playstyle contains less civilian abuse and more explosions.)

Also, Bulletstorm surprised the hell out of me. I was expecting just some basic shooter with a little gimmick, but it turned out to be extremely fun. It's absolutely loving hilarious, and the story is also surprisingly good for a game like it. Plenty of funny banter with good voice acting.

arsenicxenon
Aug 9, 2013
hey guys! I'm looking for games like Dwarves!? and plague inc.
games where you mostly watch the action happen on screen and watch to make sure everything is going according to plan and occasionally step in to influence the direction of your little NPCs

Thanks in advance

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Spaced God posted:

I'm in a racing game mood, specifically on Steam (if possible).
I've been digging F1 2012, F1 2013, Assetto Corsa, and DiRT 3 for reference.

I also tried playing Xpand Rally Xtreme. I like it, except for the fact that it's broken so badly it prevents completion after about 3 races.

The Shift games are on Steam, but I think you've already got the rest of what's available, sadly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

black.lion posted:

Look for a copy of Urban Chaos: Riot Response for PS2. It was rocksteady's first game, before Arkham Asylum, and it went completely under the radar despite being really, really well made- arguably better than their batman games.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Give me all your story mode co-op games (prefer PC but whatever).

We've played:

Borderlands 1/2
Dead Space
Resident Evil (all of them)
Gears of War 1/2
Every Diablo-like in existence
Ummmmm probably others...

Getting sick of "co-op modes" which excise all the story cutscenes and just dump you into the level to shoot things. Literally all you need to do is add story co-op mode and we will play it, even if it's lovely. Add co-op mode, developers :mad:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tagra posted:

We've played:

Borderlands 1/2
Dead Space
Gears of War 1/2

Getting sick of "co-op modes" which excise all the story cutscenes and just dump you into the level to shoot things. Literally all you need to do is add story co-op mode and we will play it, even if it's lovely. Add co-op mode, developers :mad:

Portal 2 has a stand-alone co-op story mode that should do the trick.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tagra posted:

If you don't mind a lot of written dialogue, the new Divinity: Original Sin is a goddamn brilliant RPG, and from what I hear is great fun in co-op mode. And it's not just a tacked-on afterthought either, the game was made with co-op in mind from the get-go. Like, there's actually dialogue between the main characters where you both control your responses. The combat is turn-based and really fun.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tagra posted:

We've played:

Borderlands 1/2
Dead Space
Gears of War 1/2

The Saints Row series is very good about co-op, with the entire game playable as co-op and each player seeing their own character in the cutscenes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tagra posted:

We've played:

Borderlands 1/2
Dead Space
Gears of War 1/2

System Shock 2
Half-Life on PS2 has an exclusive co-op only story called Decay
FEAR 3
The Darkness 2 (co-op is actually exclusive levels with unique characters, not the main campaign)
Signal Ops (this is a weird game but co-op is actually preferred due to how the game works)
Is Dead Island in your "Diablo-like" list?
Serious Sam 3 has 16 player campaign co-op

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
Looking for a multiplayer PC game with an active community. Strategy games in particular, or an FPS. Not Counterstrike, Battlefield, or CoD. Not Starcraft 2. No MMOs.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

JollyGreen posted:

Looking for a multiplayer PC game with an active community. Strategy games in particular, or an FPS. Not Counterstrike, Battlefield, or CoD. Not Starcraft 2. No MMOs.

Have you played Dota 2 or any of the other dota type games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Ganty posted:

Have you played Dota 2 or any of the other dota type games?

yeah I played dota and HoN to death.