Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

particle409 posted:

A Nairobi elephant orphanage.

And it's so, so important that they have the affectionate bond with their keepers that you can see there, because if they don't have someone to love who loves them back, baby elephants will just wither up and die, no matter how well fed they are.

I made an undignified sound and immediately emailed this to my dad, who is the number one otter fan in New Zealand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

particle409 posted:

Why are they orange?

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

The Door Frame posted:

Why are they orange?

Might be dried mud to help cool off, but also the real young babies have fur/hair. They are mammals after all. I saw some baby Asian elephants, and they have this crazy coarse orange hair before it gets swallowed up by their skin. It was almost like running your hand over an old broom.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Probably from rolling in mud/throwing dirt on themselves. Keeps 'em :cool:.

This is one of my favorites, taken by Marina Cano for National Geographic.

E: dammit, particle! :argh:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

eleplant

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

mammothrept posted:

That's how they are all the time. He's quite comical looking. This is what you get when you mix a black poodle and a white and tan chi.

Here he is with my other boy.

Need more photos of your adorably goofy dog, stat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Your dog has wings.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

mammothrept posted:

This is my chihuahua/mini poodle mix.

This is the face of a dog who can hear every can opener in a 4 mile radius.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

mammothrept posted:

This is my chihuahua/mini poodle mix.

Our dog is an awesome dog, he rules from heaven above.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lion cubs meet dad at Oregon Zoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7h4TESJs7M

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Is it wierd if I completely understand Sheldon? I flippin' love passports too! My dream job would be just stampin' them all day in the airport, checking out where people are from and where they have been...

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Is it wierd if I completely understand Sheldon? I flippin' love passports too! My dream job would be just stampin' them all day in the airport, checking out where people are from and where they have been...

Then you should try Papers Please.

mammothrept
Dec 11, 2009

DaisyDanger posted:

Need more photos of your adorably goofy dog, stat.

Can do!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

EoRaptor posted:

This is a tort/legal issue, not an immoral corporation issue. Grocery stores used to give away food to soup kitchens and shelters all the time, until one day someone got sick eating donated food, and sued. They won, and the payout amount meant that no store could afford the liability costs of the same thing happening again. Now, expired food is rendered inedible and disposed of.

Any fixes must come from lawmakers, not giant food conglomerates. Next time you are at a political event, ask a politician about tort reform and watch them dodge.

So you're half-right. Yes, it's true that in some places donating the unused food to the homeless is a liability worry; but supermarkets were never much in the habit of that anyway - when their food is done it's because it's rotten, generally. It's more like places such as bakeries, etc that would worry about this - places that get rid of their product almost daily and never have a chance to sell all of it before it goes bad.

But there are absolutely companies that intentionally destroy their product as a way to prevent anyone from digging it out of the trash and getting it for free because they feel it diminishes the value of their product. The paranoia being that if people know they can secure it for free, they won't try to purchase it; they'll just wait until the end of the day and dig through the trash. So these companies would rather ruin usable product than let anyone in need use it.

To wit: I used to work for a for-profit thrift store. It functioned on donations; while the store itself never claimed to have any of its profits go to charity, it thrived on the fact that people assume thrift stores are charity-related. So it paid literally nothing for its product, and raked in a ton of money. BUT the local homeless came to know that the dumpsters outside were a great place to snag some clothes. The owners hated this, so they had people literally ruin, tear and punch holes in any clothing being thrown out so that it would be unusable. They literally got everything for free, but could not stand the concept of not being paid for stuff and someone using it; It was a very "if you don't buy it then NO ONE can have it!" situation.

Panera bread will not let anyone have anything from the piles of baked goods being tossed EOD, not even employees - it's slightly discounted but never free, it either gets sold or destroyed - the idea being that if you want it, then it has monetary value and they should be able to get compensation from you. It's an attempt to bleed every last cent from people. No one gets a free ride!

Meanwhile, Pret a Manger proudly advertises that it donates uneaten food, so it's absolutely possible to do so in many places: http://www.pret.com/us/about_our_company/made_today_gone_today.htm

So yeah, it's not always a legal thing and some of it is the giant food conglomerates being total assholes intentionally destroying food.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Dove from Above posted:

I made an undignified sound and immediately emailed this to my dad, who is the number one otter fan in New Zealand.

You have an awesome dad.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

particle409 posted:

I don't know what it is about elephant faces or eyes or something but they are such expressive and sweet animals :3:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Rocket sure was cute as a baby :3:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Panera bread will not let anyone have anything from the piles of baked goods being tossed EOD, not even employees - it's slightly discounted but never free, it either gets sold or destroyed - the idea being that if you want it, then it has monetary value and they should be able to get compensation from you. It's an attempt to bleed every last cent from people. No one gets a free ride!

I know this is completely anecdotal, as Panera locations are franchise based and I'm sure policies are different from store to store, but my first job was at a Panera. At the end of the day we could take literally anything we wanted from the bakery; multiple whole loaves of bread, pastries, brownies, bagels, etc. Anything left over after we got first dibs was put in plastic bags and donated to a local food shelter. We had a guy come in every night and pick up 4-5 entire trash bags full of fresh bread and a huge box of pastries. It was the crappiest job ever, but it at least gave me the warm fuzzies to know some poor families were getting fancy sun-dried tomato basil bread and asiago foccacias and those bomb-rear end brownies with the cream cheese icing.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

In line with the above person, I think it's a case by case basis with Panera. The closest one to us is one of the largest regular donators to the men's shelter my mom manages.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

that's jimmy saville

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

If seals are the dogs of the water, then clearly otters are the cats.

In the local language where I live otters are called "water dogs" and seals are called "water calves". :colbert:

Having some hugging otters:

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't know what it is about elephant faces or eyes or something but they are such expressive and sweet animals :3:
Suppose because they are very intelligent.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They do enjoy a good book.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Waffles Inc. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmdBWqmHYpY

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Oh man (...atee). :3:

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

HogX posted:

Rocket sure was cute as a baby :3:

A friend did concept art for the characters for the Guardians movie, and they had a wildlife rescue bring in a raccoon to the studio. The wildlife expert was explaining to them not to put their fingers too close to the cage, because the raccoon could very well bite their fingers off. After explaining this they all look down to the cage to find it open and the raccoon gone. The wildlife expert then just chuckled and said, "yeah, he does that sometimes."

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

In line with the above person, I think it's a case by case basis with Panera. The closest one to us is one of the largest regular donators to the men's shelter my mom manages.

One of the stores in St. Louis (Panera's home city) doesn't actually charge for any of the food. They have "donation" recommendations next to each item on the menu but if you don't have any money you don't have to pay.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jisae posted:

A friend did concept art for the characters for the Guardians movie, and they had a wildlife rescue bring in a raccoon to the studio. The wildlife expert was explaining to them not to put their fingers too close to the cage, because the raccoon could very well bite their fingers off. After explaining this they all look down to the cage to find it open and the raccoon gone. The wildlife expert then just chuckled and said, "yeah, he does that sometimes."

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah, a Panera here in the bay area gave a whole van of donations to my place of employment (a domestic violence/human trafficking shelter) every weekend :3:

The for-profit thrift store in my town does considerably less business than the LGBT charity supporting thrift despite being "nicer" and more organized.

Another thrift store by my other job (a youth homeless shelter) would regularly donate all clothing needed on request for job interviews and work that our youth needed, whether it was business wear or steel toed boots or bike parts :kimchi:

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Trilineatus posted:

Yeah, a Panera here in the bay area gave a whole van of donations to my place of employment (a domestic violence/human trafficking shelter) every weekend :3:

The for-profit thrift store in my town does considerably less business than the LGBT charity supporting thrift despite being "nicer" and more organized.

Another thrift store by my other job (a youth homeless shelter) would regularly donate all clothing needed on request for job interviews and work that our youth needed, whether it was business wear or steel toed boots or bike parts :kimchi:

What job requires you to wear bike parts to interview?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joining a post-apocalyptic gang?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

My new kitten is tuckered out. No name yet...

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

My new kitten is tuckered out. No name yet...

My new kitten is Tuckered

kitten is Tuckered

Kitten is Tucker

Are you sure?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Too Cute! is probably cheating for this thread, but omigawd baby sloths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1mAGQAw3Oc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Zfozy7gGI

They get little jammies! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
How do beagles having spent all their lives in a laboratory react when out in the nature for the first time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFtJeKojFfI

• Locked thread