Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kim Justice posted:

Anyways...as it goes, I have a new video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_yJmuHnlSQ

I liked it, but back up a minuet. Did I hear you say there was a Reservoir Dogs game? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MisterBibs posted:

So Brad didn't like TMNT, which is pretty unsurprising given that it's a movie with a lot of CGI.

Related story: he blocked me on twitter after a half-in-jest crack about the movie (and other 80s-based cartoon films like Transformers) being more fun than Dredd. I even went back and deleted it because I figured I was pressing his buttons disrespectfully, but I guess he saw it before I changed my mind.

you seem to have a hard on for hating brad. he didn't even said he hated the movie due to CGI.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Zedd posted:

It's weird how this whole anti-woman thing is so vocal amongst nerds lately (it's always been bad though) because if you go to say a lovely meme website like 9gag around 25% of the posts will be either "bitches be crazy" or "feminazi's" and I really don't see actual feminism enough in real life situations.

I blame Twitter and Tumblr, mainly. Their succinct nature (in Twitter, enforced, Tumblr, encouraged) bleeds any nuance out of any reasonable position. Add on to that a heavy "if you're not with us you're both against us and an immoral monster" thing and you have a recipe for people getting a very warped impression of feminists.

While I frequently disagree with her specific brand of feminism, Meghan Murphy hits the nail on the loving head with The Trouble With Twitter Feminism.

quote:

While Steinem may well be problematic in ways, every single feminist (and person!) who ever lived is problematic in ways. But Twitter doesn’t like nuance. Twitter likes statements. Preferably dramatic ones. And once you’ve made said statement, be sure not to back down. Twitter doesn’t like wimps, either.

[...]

People tend to treat Twitter like they do hockey fights. Because we are fighting in public, we can’t back down, and we get either egged on or booed by fans or haters. We’re all showboating, trying be Most Right, trying to gain fans and supporters, and we have a ridiculously tiny space within which we can do it. We often succeed in being Most Right by proving that someone else is terrible. Winning by default or destruction is a popular Twitter strategy.

Though I agree with rujusu, it's always been there, but I think microblogging and the self-enforcing "more righteous than thou" culture has caused people to get a very warped view of what sane, nuanced feminism looks like. Reason tends to get ignored in favor of overreacting to insanity far too often. It's easier for douchebags to wrongly convince people that feminists are terrible when it takes 5 seconds to link to a stupid feminist being terrible (because, y'know, all feminists are exact clones of each other and these ones being terrible means all feminists agree with them).

_____

In other news, because I didn't see it posted, History of Power Rangers now has a set schedule because of Patreon:

Operation Overdrive: August 21st 2014
Jungle Fury: Christmas Day 2014
RPM: March 19th, 2015
Samurai, Megaforce, Dino Charge: TBD

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 9, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jsor posted:

In other news, because I didn't see it posted, History of Power Rangers now has a set schedule because of Patreon:

I may start supporting linkara due to this. he seeming to pull in the promises of the patreon.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Whoa. Welp, looks like once I have a job again, I'll be throwing money at Lupa AND Linkara, instead of just at Lupa.

Also, given how I've never watched a single episode of OO but even I know how terrible it was, can't wait to see Linkara's reaction to it :unsmigghh:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

[quote="Kim Justice" post="433291345"]
Aw, I missed JonTron being brought up. I guess I won't say much more other than he used to be a favourite of mine except now he's just a sad little child. He did nothing except use Gaza to justify a freaking ableist slur, and then has the nerve to go at Soha for calling him out while also saying "WELL I DON'T HAVE THE GUTS TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT PALESTINE TO MY FOLLOWERS"? gently caress that prick. And then justifies it all by going on a site that's literally called "OUTRAGE CENTRAL"...which is like "Chuck Norris responds to allegations of anti-gay slurs on the Trinity Broadcasting Network" levels of basic bitch poo poo.

I think the one detail everyone everyone is overlooking here is that Jon Jafari is an American of Persian decent, one that has had all kinds of ethnic slurs thrown his way and one who has been photoshopped by his "fans" to look like a terrorist. I don't think he's using Gaza as a shield, I think he's legitimately pissed off about this issue, and probably is frustrated because he feels he can be harassed over nothing while he has to stay silent over issues that deeply bother him if he doesn't want to be labeled as a radical extremist.

That being said, you don't loving say "retard" on the internet unless you want to sound like an ignorant moron, and Jontron has a really bad habit of acting like an ignorant moron on the internet. In this regard, I really wish he would grow the gently caress up because it's only going to get worse for him from here.

On the whole anti-women thing, I think it has gotten worse in recent years. The casual misogyny of the mid-aughts has given way to full- on fanatical he- man woman hating on certain parts of the internet. Personally, I think it's because certain parts of geek culture need an "enemy" that is trying to destroy their way of life. First it was anti gaming political crusaders like Jack Thompson and Joe Lieberman, after that it was bros and frat boys who were trying to turn every game into Halo and Madden, then it was Hipsters that we're trying to ???. Now it's those gosh darn dirty women, seduced by the evil that is feminism lead by their evil overlord SARKEESIAN trying to destroy games and comics FROM WITHIN. I think feminism, tumblr, and twitter are just scapegoats at this point, and it wouldn't matter how moderate feminists acted on these platforms, because these nerds have already made their minds up about them and are not rational thinkers. It's just a matter of people standing their ground until the hive mind finds a new other to fixate on.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

BigRed0427 posted:

Todd started reviewing Madonna Movies. Desperately Seeking Susan and Shanghai Surprise

Holy poo poo, for whatever reason, when I read an AV club review of Shanghai Surprise, I thought the movie just looked boring and lame. There was no indication that it was as..batshit insane as that movie looks. It looks like some kind of horrible b movie made in the forties, rather than anything made in the eighties. At least I can understand why Desperately Seeking Susan would exist, because the eighties was full of that kind of thing (mannequin, anyone?) but...Shanghai Surprise? What on earth?!?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I know I probably shouldn't contribute to the Guardians derail, but I wanna get this off my chest. Oh and by the way, this is going to be better thought out than my "Man of Steel" fanboy rant.

What really bothered me was how the climax of this film featured heavy use of collateral damage. Just like "Star Trek: Into Darkness" and "Man of Steel", the climax of Guardians was a whole bunch of people running away from buildings collapsing. What we're ssupposed to infer from that scene is that people are dying if not in mortal peril. Collateral damage has become a recent film trend because it's an easy way to bilk drama without designating a martyr character or by using some other cheap method. I think Michael Bay was the trend setter since his Transformers films featured collateral damage and were incredibly successful. And since Hollywood is comprised of sheep, they'll follow whatever works even though it's destructive in the long run.

My theories about why this works are twofold. First, like the old saying goes, "A single death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic." Humankind has always had problems with comprehending large numbers as a survival instinct (see: Dunbar's Number). So because we disassociate ourselves with deaths in the dozens, let alone hundreds, it's a very easy way to create drama or stakes without having to actually develop characters and it makes it easier to sell to the international market since it translates very easily.

Second is the elephant in the room. It's Hollywood taking advantage of the scars in our psyches ever since 9-11. Hear me out. It's been noted that the climax in "Man of Steel" evoked 9-11 in how the various minor characters ran away from the destruction of buildings collapsing in a matter similar to how the various victims of the 9-11 attacks ran away from the twin towers collapsing. Complete with dust everywhere and even a small moment of inserted heroism where Perry White and a few other members of the Daily Planet hold hands as the destruction approached. Because the event is still fresh in a lot of our memories, we react viscerally to that kind of imagery and Hollywood is only too happy to take advantage of tragedy as long as it means profit. Which means cramming mass property damage, putting lots and lots of extras in mortal peril, and insinuating mass casualties. I don't think Hollywood is doing this out of malice, but rather out of how they're lazy as hell and just don't give a gently caress.

Jay O, I didn't notice the rather unfortunate implications towards gender in the film. I'm usually more sensitive to that kind of thing but it completely went over my head. Which shouldn't of happened because my reflexes are so fast, I should've caught it :downsrim: Not to say that they aren't valid, I guess I need to re-watch it to see it.

Oh and content: Here's a couple of reviews of the recent TMNT film. One from the people who gave you Spill.com and one from that one hyperbolic fanboy. I'll give you two guesses who, and the first one doesn't count.

And while I'm here, check out Every Film a Painting by Tony Zhou. Unlike other film reviewers or commentators, he comments on film techniques and how they affect the visual narrative as an aspiring film editor. Start with his episode on Bayhem, good stuff.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 9, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I think the one detail everyone everyone is overlooking here is that Jon Jafari is an American of Persian decent, one that has had all kinds of ethnic slurs thrown his way and one who has been photoshopped by his "fans" to look like a terrorist. I don't think he's using Gaza as a shield, I think he's legitimately pissed off about this issue, and probably is frustrated because he feels he can be harassed over nothing while he has to stay silent over issues that deeply bother him if he doesn't want to be labeled as a radical extremist.

I kept this still in mind. Rather than I don't know, actually own up and tell his fans "Please don't make me look bad after I specifically campaigned for this situation", he just rode on his dick or didn't tell this on this interview. A lot of other content producers will actually own up that their position did lead to poo poo like that and at least bother to put up a front of "I gathered that this happened under my banner, and I'd rather if you people stopped doing this", and people in far worse situations did at least attempt to this to some success, or at least giving supporters and his detractors some sort of sense that at least he got this.

If he's legitimately pissed off and is in a position where by his family (Where his family could be terrified at him having some sort of stance about this) and fanbase can't at least get the word out more, the bare minimum, at least before he went to liberal dog-whistle bigotry "cupcake with turd on it poster" horseshit site would have been that. And if anything, that would have a "Reasonable" outcome that doesn't depend on using a narrative that doesn't scream "I hate when minorities don't comply to me, and if only I had a bullshit word to describe the uppity sor- I know I'll just put tumblr or twitter and no one will suspect a thing!".

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why is there some special, handicapped dumb idiot hypocrite in this thread calling JonTron a moron for calling someone a retard? The words have identical etymology. Learn to SJW properly or don't do it at all.

That said, repurposing obsolete medical terminology as insults is kinda mentally deficient. Crazy, even. JonTron is a complete basket case.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

BigRed0427 posted:

Todd started reviewing Madonna Movies. Desperately Seeking Susan and Shanghai Surprise

I can't wait for him to get to Evita. We did music from it for our marching band show my senior year and it was the first show to get our school top rankings and awards in shows in 50 years. That said, I never watched the movie/musical itself and I've really wondered all this time how it is.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Kunster posted:

I kept this still in mind. Rather than I don't know, actually own up and tell his fans "Please don't make me look bad after I specifically campaigned for this situation", he just rode on his dick or didn't tell this on this interview. A lot of other content producers will actually own up that their position did lead to poo poo like that and at least bother to put up a front of "I gathered that this happened under my banner, and I'd rather if you people stopped doing this", and people in far worse situations did at least attempt to this to some success, or at least giving supporters and his detractors some sort of sense that at least he got this.

If he's legitimately pissed off and is in a position where by his family (Where his family could be terrified at him having some sort of stance about this) and fanbase can't at least get the word out more, the bare minimum, at least before he went to liberal dog-whistle bigotry "cupcake with turd on it poster" horseshit site would have been that. And if anything, that would have a "Reasonable" outcome that doesn't depend on using a narrative that doesn't scream "I hate when minorities don't comply to me, and if only I had a bullshit word to describe the uppity sor- I know I'll just put tumblr or twitter and no one will suspect a thing!".

Fair enough.

quakster posted:

Why is there some special, handicapped dumb idiot hypocrite in this thread calling JonTron a moron for calling someone a retard? The words have identical etymology. Learn to SJW properly or don't do it at all.

That said, repurposing obsolete medical terminology as insults is kinda mentally deficient. Crazy, even. JonTron is a complete basket case.

I never realized how much I overuse adverbs until I read this post. So thanks I guess?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jsor posted:

I can't wait for him to get to Evita. We did music from it for our marching band show my senior year and it was the first show to get our school top rankings and awards in shows in 50 years. That said, I never watched the movie/musical itself and I've really wondered all this time how it is.

I remember watching it with my mom and enjoying it, and I did hear it went well over Portuguese and French audiences, to the point "Evita" was somewhat connected with her name as much as the coned bra image.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I liked it, but back up a minuet. Did I hear you say there was a Reservoir Dogs game? :psyduck:

Indeed there is! For the PS2/Xbox. Here, have a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3003Ed34Z70

I have a copy of this, as it happens...but yeah, it's not good at all. It's not really an openworld game as such but it is the typical mix of shooting/driving you'd expect (along with loads of violence and terrible dialogue) - which doesn't make it all that different from something like The Getaway, where you're on a timer for all the driving missions and you're only actually given the option to free roam once you've beaten the game. It also features a grand total of ONE member of the original cast (Michael Madsen, naturally) and the rest don't even look like their film counterparts. It's not quite on the ungodly abomination level of say, Fight Club when it comes to PS2-era licensed games, but it's not massively far off either.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 9, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

quakster posted:

i see what you did there. Luckly i just called him a jackass, but will watch my words next time.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You guys relying so heavily on the pejorative 'n*rd' to describe someone you don't like in the same sentences as your indignation toward the lack of inclusiveness is baffling and also offensive to me as a nerd. I don't want to have to unsubscribe to another thread because of nerdists.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Jsor posted:

_____

poo poo, looks like Linkara is gonna finish Power Ranger reviews before I do. If anyone wants to hear in depth, episode by episode reviews of Power Rangers and more, listen to Podcasters with Attitude on iTunes or visit my website!

Ok shameless plug aside, glad to see this won't take another year between seasons. I just hope he doesn't do another half hour of complaining and explaining before the next episode. Just give me the drat review.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Has JO ever given her thoughts on the seasons of Digimon that she didn't do videos for? I really liked those and stopped watching after Tamers, so I'm curious if the others are any good.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Skunny Wundy posted:

Has JO ever given her thoughts on the seasons of Digimon that she didn't do videos for? I really liked those and stopped watching after Tamers, so I'm curious if the others are any good.

Not officially, no. Fortunately there's not a lot to say?

Frontier (season 4), I do enjoy, I have a soft spot for it, I genuinely think it's better than Zero Two for instance, but it comes with two big hiccups. 1) It's not very traditionally "Digimon." It's basically a Sentai show. There are no Digimon partners, the kids turn *into* Digimon, and the bonds between the children themselves are the focus instead of the core being "a kid's bond with his monster." That alone was enough to get a lot of prior fans to clock out. The whole thing's radically different right from the get-go. 2) It's a 50-episode show, and most of the episodes in the 40s-ish are *awful.* The "Royal Knights" episodes, obviously made to save money and pad the runtime out to a required 50 episodes, are absolutely terrible, pretty much only redeemed by the "Lucifer destroys the known universe" finale. I think generally Frontier is one of the most disliked digimon seasons, but that's not really fair. It's a well-constructed story and it (and Tamers) have the most consistent/strong animation, which is a big plus in a low-budget kids' show like this. It's not great or anything, but it's a lot of fun, radical changes aside.

Savers (season 5), it has its fans, but I absolutely despise it. Most of it is a transparent tour through "REMEMBER THIS THING FROM ADVENTURE?", it makes what I think is a jaw-dropping mistake by making the protagonists *teenagers* instead of *children.* Most importantly, the writing's aimless and stupid and the show looks absolutely hideous. The art design is tacky, gaudy, and flat, and the animation shits itself completely every other episode. Most of the support for it comes from the idea that it's "more adult" and I think that's ludicrous. First of all, Digimon doesn't need to be "more adult," it's Digimon, and second of all, the definition of "adult" here is "there are stories about ballistics and genocide and the heroes are teens who work for a government organization!" That's not adult to me, that's just juvenility in big boy clothes. It's hard to explain in a short paragraph, but to me, Savers is a trainwreck on every level.

Xros Wars (season 6), I haven't seen much of. I liked what I saw, and I liked the very nostalgic english dub, but frankly I just haven't seen enough of the show to say. Lots of people seem to like it, but also have some gripes with story choices in it, I don't know the specifics though.

Young Hunters (season 7), is a trainwreck and everybody I know hates it. I've only seen one episode, the 10th anniversary one where dimensions cross and every digidestined leader from every other season appears in one episode to save the day...it's horrific. It's barely animated, everyone's off-model, there's no flavor or character to any of it...dreadful.

Basically, Adventure (1) and Tamers (3) are the good Digimon seasons. Zero Two (2), Frontier (4), and (according to others and the little I've seen) Xros Wars (6) are fine. Savers (5) and Young Hunters (7) are unwatchably bad.

[/digimons]

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Violet_Sky posted:

:siren:The rules: Read them or die.:siren:

-We discuss the critic's WORK, not their personal lives.

-Leave your :spergin: at the door. If you really have to discuss the details of a movie, game, or a piece of music that badly, take it to the respective sub-forum or just...don't.

-In the same vein, don't start political or religious debates.

Just a reminder that this isn't a Spoonywatch/Twitter meltdown thread. Also, Guardians talk can go to another forum.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Digimon Frontier is basically Digimon Sentai and for that I love it. It just got added to Hulu now and I need to go watch it again because I only caught a few episodes on Disney's afternoon block on UPN, but the Trailmon race episode was amazing. :allears:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Zeether posted:

Digimon Frontier is basically Digimon Sentai and for that I love it. It just got added to Hulu now and I need to go watch it again because I only caught a few episodes on Disney's afternoon block on UPN, but the Trailmon race episode was amazing. :allears:

Oh yeah, that was what I forgot to mention. Flaws aside, Frontier has two of my favorite episodes in any Digimon anything, 21 and 22. Those two episodes are like, better than any single episodes I can think of in any other season that's not Tamers. (Tamers has 34-36, and 48, which are my favorites there.) Maybe this just says a lot about my taste in things. It seems I like the macabre.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just to continue the Digimon jams for a moment: JayO, in your Tamers review you hinted that you were going to go in-depth on why Impmon was your favourite Digimon character ever, but ultimately didn't get to that point in the review. Would you mind elaborating on what your thoughts on him were? Because I was eager to see what you thought of him and his arc as he was a big favourite of mine as well.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

nine-gear crow posted:

Just to continue the Digimon jams for a moment: JayO, in your Tamers review you hinted that you were going to go in-depth on why Impmon was your favourite Digimon character ever, but ultimately didn't get to that point in the review. Would you mind elaborating on what your thoughts on him were? Because I was eager to see what you thought of him and his arc as he was a big favourite of mine as well.

Took me a while to find, but I answered this very question on Tumblr a couple months ago! Hooray!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh. Sweet. Thanks Jay O.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

beep by grandpa posted:

I cannot believe the two of you are so internet naive that you actually think JonTron or any celebrity personally "gets" his or her fanbase to trash someone on twitter that they disagree with.

Um, yes. Yes, they do exactly this thing. Some of them do it often. If they goad some odd thousands to gang up on someone over social media, and even 1% go along with it, that is what they are doing. That is how influence works.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeether posted:

Yea I kinda unironically dig Frontier for just going 'gently caress it we're doing Digi Power Rangers'.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for the write-up!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Violet_Sky posted:

Just a reminder that this isn't a Spoonywatch/Twitter meltdown thread. Also, Guardians talk can go to another forum.

So what's your opinions on internet reviewers internet reviewing in the internet reviewer watchers thread?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Benny the Snake posted:

I know I probably shouldn't contribute to the Guardians derail, but I wanna get this off my chest. Oh and by the way, this is going to be better thought out than my "Man of Steel" fanboy rant.

What really bothered me was how the climax of this film featured heavy use of collateral damage. Just like "Star Trek: Into Darkness" and "Man of Steel", the climax of Guardians was a whole bunch of people running away from buildings collapsing. What we're ssupposed to infer from that scene is that people are dying if not in mortal peril. Collateral damage has become a recent film trend because it's an easy way to bilk drama without designating a martyr character or by using some other cheap method. I think Michael Bay was the trend setter since his Transformers films featured collateral damage and were incredibly successful. And since Hollywood is comprised of sheep, they'll follow whatever works even though it's destructive in the long run.

They didn't show people dying horribly like they did in Man of Steel. They did also throw in a line about the city being evacuated. Why there was people left over, I don't know. But the film never lingered on it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

They didn't show people dying horribly like they did in Man of Steel. They did also throw in a line about the city being evacuated. Why there was people left over, I don't know. But the film never lingered on it.

There were people in the city because it was still being evacuated. The final moments of the film happen really quickly but are stretched out by POV changes to parallel events.

At least the collateral damage made complete sense in this film. Man of Steel's was just gratuitous and didn't feel like it belonged in a Superman movie.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The best part was when a gay rapper said he stole a hook from him or something the reaction was 'yea but Same Love tho'.

The reaction was nothing at all because the dude was an obscurity who had no case. I had never heard of this before you brought it up, but yeah, the two hooks mildly resemble each other if that, the public was absolutely right to ignore this guy.

And as a side note, Macklemore is not beyond criticism by any means, but I think it's hosed up that Macklemore has gotten way more poo poo for "Same Love" than Lil Wayne has for "Bitches Love Me."

quote:

At least the collateral damage made complete sense in this film. Man of Steel's was just gratuitous and didn't feel like it belonged in a Superman movie.

I don't know how to put it, but there's something wrong with the tone of Man of Steel that bothered people way more than Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy -- it was just so... bleak, people couldn't just brush it off as fun popcorn-y ID4-style spectacle like they did with Avengers or even with the massively unpleasant Transformers.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 10, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

MisterBadIdea posted:

The reaction was nothing at all because the dude was an obscurity who had no case. I had never heard of this before you brought it up, but yeah, the two hooks mildly resemble each other if that, the public was absolutely right to ignore this guy.

And as a side note, Macklemore is not beyond criticism by any means, but I think it's hosed up that Macklemore has gotten way more poo poo for "Same Love" than Lil Wayne has for "Bitches Love Me."

It's kind of hard to put into words but the best way I can describe what happened was that when you activly make a song promoting the gay rights movement you put yourself into a position where you HAVE to be on your toes about your image. It's a bit like when Gaga made Born This Way as a gay anthem but there were some weirdly racist word choices that made people raise their eyebrows at her. Gaga positioned herself as this Queen of Equality but she's made some really loving dumb choices lately that are turning people off her way more than if she was just some random pop artist.

It's essentially not wanting people to hitch themselves to the gay rights movement for the sole purpose of making money off the gay audience. Same Love is a GOOD song because it has a good message, it's just that people are a little wary that Macklemore is just attempting to use a movement to sell records. There might be a smidgen of the Tumblr "gently caress ALLIES" crowd in there, but mostly it's people who don't so much want to poo poo on a good thing as they want to know that the thing is actually genuine and not "Hey there, I'm totally good with you guys so buy my album."

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 10, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MisterBadIdea posted:

And by criticism you mainly mean gay people being mildly annoyed that the big 'gay anthem' was written by a straight dude who lead into it with 'yo people thought I was gay when I was young BUT I LOVE THE PUSSY DON'T GET CONFUSED I AM NOT GAY'.

Like, Gaga and Madonna and poo poo get their passes by making songs about owning yourself and being proud of who you are, his song is just "YO I LOVE VAGINA BUT I GUESS GAYS ARE COOL"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Macklemore is a sap, and not a very smart one, but I think he's pretty genuine.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
He's also a really rubbish rapper and his producer is not good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

prahanormal posted:

He's also a really rubbish rapper and his producer is not good.

He's similar to Iggy Izalea. Their actual talent isn't that great, but they manage to work songs around hooks done by much better artists.

EDIT: \/ I am purely talking about musical talent/skill, not them as a person.

Macklemore to me comes across as a bit of a doofus, but a genuine one. Izalea's just another product of the record company marketing machine. Another complete fake like Britney, with a side portion of possible racism.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 10, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Did you really just compare Macklemore to Iggy loving Azalea, what the hell is wrong with you. Macklemore isn't god's gift to rappers, but at least he isn't obnoxious and fake as gently caress like she is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cubey posted:

Did you really just compare Macklemore to Iggy loving Azalea, what the hell is wrong with you. Macklemore isn't god's gift to rappers, but at least he isn't obnoxious and fake as gently caress like she is.

Macklemore is every bit as real as Iggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cubey posted:

Sorry we insulted your boyfriend Cubey.

• Locked thread