Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rand alPaul posted:

I hate that the ump called it a foul tip and gave him a strike.

I mean, how the hell are you even supposed to tell if the head of the bat came around? It clearly does...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

VJeff posted:

Quote from Joe Nathan after blowing a save today:

Pretty sure he tried to shift blame to Brad Ausmus for calling for an IBB of Bautista after Joe put the winning run on 3rd too. This after he dicked on Nick Castellanos earlier in the year.

This guy's a real team player, I tell ya what.

Edit: Oh my god, now he's throwing Miggy under the bus too. :wtf:

Maybe if Ausmus would start beating Nathan instead of his wife...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Minarch posted:

Maybe if Ausmus would start beating Nathan instead of his wife...

Ausmus is beating Nathan's wife?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Bob Ojeda posted:

Bob Lurie was going to sell the team as a result of not being able to build a stadium, and it looked like he was going to sell it to a group from Tampa who was going to move it there instead. But then Peter Magowan bought the team instead and they built Pac Bell / AT&T. Thank loving God.

Also, the A's gave the Giants territorial rights to the South Bay in the eventuality that they wanted to build a stadium down in there, which is one of the reasons the A's stadium situation is so hosed right now.

If they were moving to Tampa, I'm sure they wouldn't have signed Bonds. Which means he would've signed with one of the other teams gunning hard for him. Barry Bonds on the Red Sox or as a Brave or a Yankee would have been scary.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

VJeff posted:

Quote from Joe Nathan after blowing a save today:

Pretty sure he tried to shift blame to Brad Ausmus for calling for an IBB of Bautista after Joe put the winning run on 3rd too. This after he dicked on Nick Castellanos earlier in the year.

This guy's a real team player, I tell ya what.

Edit: Oh my god, now he's throwing Miggy under the bus too. :wtf:

I don't know how he's supposedly throwing people under the bus, but that quote seems pretty reasonable.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

tarlibone posted:

Ausmus is beating Nathan's wife?

Well done.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I checked the thread to see if the Tigers had DFAed Nathan yet.

I am disappointed.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

JediGandalf posted:

Side note: IIRC, were not the the SF Giants basically packed and ready to go to Tampa Bay had not San Franciso got AT&T Park built? NL West would have missed a lot of Bonds dingers.

Before that the White Sox were using the threat of Tampa and "The Thunderdome" to cajole a new ballpark from the state of Illinois. IIRC that literally went down the last minute in an overnight session at the statehouse to get the funding done.

Now that we're in a lull when it comes to new stadium threats these days I wonder what the next city everyone will threaten to relocate to will be. If the economy is still lagging a decade from now when the first of the "stadium boom" parks start knocking on 30 years old I really want to see some owner start saber rattling over needing new luxury boxes or laser rocket drone delivered concessions or whatever the hot new trend will be react if they're told to get lost and to go ahead and try to get that billion dollar stadium from Portland or Raleigh-Durham and see how it goes over.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm pretty sure the cards will finish 2014 with both a negative run differential and a playoff spot. What an odd season.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Mornacale posted:

I don't know how he's supposedly throwing people under the bus, but that quote seems pretty reasonable.

I don't know about the Cabrera one but earlier this season there was a line drive that went off Castellanos glove and the next batter hit the ball like 80000 feet to end the game. Afterward he basically said that he would have gotten the guy out, except the play before that wasn't made so he had to pitch him differently and that lost the game

Also the Tigers are bad and probably won't make the playoffs

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FairGame posted:

I'm pretty sure the cards will finish 2014 with both a negative run differential and a playoff spot. What an odd season.

I think we're close enough to the end of the season where it is conceivable that the Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, and the Phillies may not make the post-season, while the Brewers, Pirates, Royals, A's, and Orioles will.

ESPN may actually shut down or unceremoniously stop covering MLB after September 30th.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Boon posted:

ESPN may actually shut down or unceremoniously stop covering MLB after September 30th.

Good

Death to ESPN

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wrigley Field Straight Cash Homey Report

1. 3 people sitting together in Marmol shirtseys
2. A Nomar jersey
3. Javy Baez jerseys
4. Josh Vitters shirtsey (I didn't know you could even buy those!)
5. The greatest of them all: A #29 shirtsey with "Crime Dog" on the back, which I want to own immediately

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
If you had bet me early in the season that Joe Nathan would STILL be the closer, and Don Kelly and Phil Coke were STILL on the team well gently caress that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Boon posted:

nah, ESPN will be all aboard the Dodgers bandwagon

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Brad Penny's line for today: 5IP 1ER 4BB 3K

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Also the Tigers are bad and probably won't make the playoffs

Even though they're two of my favorite teams to watch, it'd be hilarious and super ironic if both the Tigers and the A's didn't make the playoffs.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Boon posted:

I think we're close enough to the end of the season where it is conceivable that the Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, and the Phillies may not make the post-season, while the Brewers, Pirates, Royals, A's, and Orioles will.

Lumping the Phillies in with the Yankees, Cardinals, and Red Sox is sort of weird.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Storm posted:

If you had bet me early in the season that Joe Nathan would STILL be the closer, and Don Kelly and Phil Coke were STILL on the team well gently caress that

I'm okay with the latter two.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mornacale posted:

Lumping the Phillies in with the Yankees, Cardinals, and Red Sox is sort of weird.

Meh, they're a big market team that has had recent success and is covered pretty heavily when doing well. So I guess they're like the Dodgers.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Oh god Trevor May

2.0 IP 3 hits 4 ER 7 BB.

The future is looking bright for the Twins.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I can't find a picture yet, but it's Lou Piniella Mariners Hall of Fame Night and they have a giant LOU sculpted into the infield dirt. Lou owns.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Joe Nathan blew a save color me surprised. He sucks. DFA him.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Wilin Rosario is utter poo poo with a mitt.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YodaTFK posted:

Oh god Trevor May

2.0 IP 3 hits 4 ER 7 BB.

The future is looking bright for the Twins.

It seemed like he was getting squeezed real bad on the outside corner which probably didn't help.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

1. 3 people sitting together in Marmol shirtseys
2. A Nomar jersey
3. Javy Baez jerseys
4. Josh Vitters shirtsey (I didn't know you could even buy those!)
5. The greatest of them all: A #29 shirtsey with "Crime Dog" on the back, which I want to own immediately

I sat behind a couple on Friday who had matching Fukudome shirtseys. I also proudly wore my Zambrano jersey. The Rick Sutcliff bobblehead has lights that actually light up in the background and I used it as a nightlight last night to my girlfriends utter disgust.

Jazy Baez is also not a huge fan of making contact.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Niwrad posted:

The Rick Sutcliff bobblehead has lights that actually light up in the background and I used it as a nightlight last night to my girlfriends utter disgust.

I think we need video of this.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm so sad this website doesn't update any more. Earlier this year I saw a guy with a Chris Duffy Pirates jersey.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Harlock posted:

That's what I've been saying!!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

I also proudly wore my Zambrano jersey.

I wonder if it's time to unretire the Prior jersey I drunkenly bought during the 2003 playoffs. I'm also pretty sure buried somewhere in a box here is a Turk Wendell jersey from the mid 90's...I need to go digging.

Can't disrespect the Vitters love as an Iowan, I've thought about pulling the trigger on a game worn jersey of his that pops up on Ebay over and over, if only because it's Buy It Now is 100 bucks less than buying new.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I wonder if it's time to unretire the Prior jersey I drunkenly bought during the 2003 playoffs. I'm also pretty sure buried somewhere in a box here is a Turk Wendell jersey from the mid 90's...I need to go digging.

Can't disrespect the Vitters love as an Iowan, I've thought about pulling the trigger on a game worn jersey of his that pops up on Ebay over and over, if only because it's Buy It Now is 100 bucks less than buying new.

True Turk fans are still vigorously brushing their teeth between innings.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters done for? I see they are doing pretty bad in Iowa.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I personally miss former All-Star Bryan LaHair

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Harlock posted:

Holy poo poo why is he still allowed to pitch in games that the Tigers are winning?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://vine.co/v/MVtJTTQKq9M

Bryce Harper is my hero and he is bringing back the good things in life. (aka disrespect)

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Dodger traded for Kevin Correia. PTBNL or cash

Why didn't you trade for Price

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Niwrad posted:

Are Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters done for? I see they are doing pretty bad in Iowa.

Their best hope is another organization wants to give them a change of scenery at this point and will give the Cubs something interesting in return. Their future in the Cubs organization is roster filler if things start going horribly bad due to injuries to the higher talent guys. I believe the prevailing idea is there's more hope for Vitters than BJax, but that doesn't say much at this point.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://vine.co/v/MVtJTTQKq9M

Bryce Harper is my hero and he is bringing back the good things in life. (aka disrespect)

Eh, he didn't put enough hustle in that BM.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Legs Benedict posted:

Dodger traded for Kevin Correia. PTBNL or cash

Why didn't you trade for Price

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Zythrst posted:

Eh, he didn't put enough hustle in that BM.

He was probably trying to avoid popping a hemorrhoid. Sometimes, you just have to relax and let BMs happen. Pushing too hard in an effort to hustle a BM is what killed Elvis.

... The More You Know....

• Locked thread