Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
New Londo and the DLC are great, the Duke's Archive is pretty good, the tomb is punishing but fine, Izalith is definitely the worst part of the game but I feel like its badness is overstated, save the horrible boss. Don't worry, there's plenty of fun left

Edit: Oh! And there's some hidden bosses you might not have found yet which are Quite Solid

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Wait, for real? Am I almost done? That would suck, how much more of the game is left?

You still have a good chunk to go, don't worry about it. If you count the DLC, getting the Lordvessel is maybe the halfway point.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Okay, that's good to hear. How does the DLC work?

I didn't like Sens Fortress because it's the only part of the game that felt legitimately cheap.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

How can you dislike the two best areas in the game.

Unless you're referring to the DLC, I have no idea what you're talking about. None of the areas after Anor Londo are particularly great or well designed.

Austrian mook posted:

Go to the Duke's Archives and kill the crystal golem. Leave, go to Darkroot Basin and kill the hydra, then edge around to the left of the lake to a cave and kill the golden crystal golem. You'll have to reset the area from there I believe, then you can enter the DLC area from where the golden crystal golem was.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I didn't like Sens Fortress because it's the only part of the game that felt legitimately cheap.

I'll spoiler it in chunks if you want to figure it out yourself, but it's pretty roundabout.

Okay, first go back to the Parish (where Andre is), go out the back into the woods, climb down the cliff face with the Black Knight, and kill the hydra down there.

Now Homeward bone back or quit and reload; there's a cave off to the left behind the Hydra with a golden golem back there you need to kill. Talk to the lady that pops out, accept her gift, and then head back to Anor Londo.

Now go to Seath's place, left of the main AL bonfire. Go up the elevator and you'll see a golem staring at the corner. Kill him and pick up the broken pendant.

Got it? Now go back to where you fought the golden golem. Have fun!

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Austrian mook posted:

It takes a bit of explorin' to find the DLC. You can't reach it just yet, so ask again later if you're really confused.

I like Sen's Fortress because it feels hellish the first time through, but eventually you master it and use all the traps against the enemies. Sorry to hear you had a rough time of it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I just got the lord vessel, still carrying around a +6 weapon, and I'm starting to think armor got nerfed or something because the legends of havel isn't as great as I think.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Literally just realized that you can see the lips, teeth, and part of the face on those big, tumor-headed undead.

I do have another question: Does weight affect how far of a jump you can clear? If I'm having trouble making it across a gap that I know I can cross (because I've done it before), is it possible that it's because I have too much weight equipped? I'm not overburdened (I'm around 40-44 units out of a possible 72 right now).

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Literally just realized that you can see the lips, teeth, and part of the face on those big, tumor-headed undead.

I do have another question: Does weight affect how far of a jump you can clear? If I'm having trouble making it across a gap that I know I can cross (because I've done it before), is it possible that it's because I have too much weight equipped? I'm not overburdened (I'm around 40-44 units out of a possible 72 right now).

Nope, the jump always covers the same distance regardless of weight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Unless you're referring to the DLC, I have no idea what you're talking about. None of the areas after Anor Londo are particularly great or well designed.

I guess I should've quoted him. Austrian mook said he didn't like Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Turn off the 60 FPS feature if you have it on when you do jumps, it makes your jump turn to a drop much more sharply.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Regy Rusty posted:

I guess I should've quoted him. Austrian mook said he didn't like Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo.

I haven't played all of Anor Londo yet, I just really hated that bit on the walkway. I didn't like Sen's Fortress, although I think it's going to be more enjoyable on repeat playthroughs.

E: Whoa, what the gently caress just happened. I just invaded an NPC? Please tell me I can try this again, I nearly won the fight.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 10, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
For whatever reason, I have a harder time working my way through Sens backwards (Oh wait I missed X Item and the basically hidden bonfire up top is closer) than forwards.

Austrian mook posted:

I haven't played all of Anor Londo yet, I just really hated that bit on the walkway. I didn't like Sen's Fortress, although I think it's going to be more enjoyable on repeat playthroughs.

E: Whoa, what the gently caress just happened. I just invaded an NPC? Please tell me I can try this again, I nearly won the fight.
Yeah, you are allowed to invade that guy as many times as you want. If you are invading inside that big room in Anor londo with the two fancy giant knights that is.

Remember you can only heal with humanity and spells when invading.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Section Z posted:

For whatever reason, I have a harder time working my way through Sens backwards (Oh wait I missed X Item and the basically hidden bonfire up top is closer) than forwards.

Yeah, you are allowed to invade that guy as many times as you want. If you are invading inside that big room in Anor londo with the two fancy giant knights that is.

Remember you can only heal with humanity and spells when invading.

sigh, thanks man. I was worried there for a minute. Guess it's time for more of that moving staircase! :suicide:

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
So, I finally got a summons for the Capra Demon and we killed it, just. Does anyone have any tips for the depths? That big chef guy is kicking my arse.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

pisshead posted:

So, I finally got a summons for the Capra Demon and we killed it, just. Does anyone have any tips for the depths? That big chef guy is kicking my arse.

Don't move into the sludge area, and try to get behind him (good advice for everything in this game). They don't re-spawn by the way.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Oh holy gently caress now this is a fight. gently caress YES

I killed Smaugh, but his buddy managed to get me after I took down about half his health. If I just had another Estus flask, I'd have beaten these fuckers on my first try. That said, I hope that that guy re-spawns, since I really want to have a lot of cracks at this. Pretty easily the best fight of the game so far, and I don't think it's remotely close.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Austrian mook posted:

Oh holy gently caress now this is a fight. gently caress YES

I killed Smaugh, but his buddy managed to get me after I took down about half his health. If I just had another Estus flask, I'd have beaten these fuckers on my first try. That said, I hope that that guy re-spawns, since I really want to have a lot of cracks at this. Pretty easily the best fight of the game so far, and I don't think it's remotely close.

Welcome to the TRUE Main Event :clint:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jerusalem posted:

Welcome to the TRUE Main Event :clint:

This is some loving rad poo poo. This game could be nothing but this one boss fight and I'd be satisfied. Just 2 really well designed, interesting enemies in a straight up, no holding back, fair fight. loving. Awesome.

E: The only thing holding it back from being completely perfect, is the ridiculous time it takes to get back there. The goddamn staircase alone is like a whole minute.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
They gave these motherfuckers their own theme song that's (hopefully) unique to them. That's how loving awesome they are.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Austrian mook posted:

This is some loving rad poo poo. This game could be nothing but this one boss fight and I'd be satisfied. Just 2 really well designed, interesting enemies in a straight up, no holding back, fair fight. loving. Awesome.

E: The only thing holding it back from being completely perfect, is the ridiculous time it takes to get back there. The goddamn staircase alone is like a whole minute.

There should be a shortcut that reduces the run time by a lot. It can be even quicker if you make a jump from the spiral staircase.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Tarezax posted:

There should be a shortcut that reduces the run time by a lot. It can be even quicker if you make a jump from the spiral staircase.

I'm using the second bonfire in Anor Londo, and just running through all the enemies past the front door. Is the 3rd bonfire actually faster?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Austrian mook posted:

I'm using the second bonfire in Anor Londo, and just running through all the enemies past the front door. Is the 3rd bonfire actually faster?

It is in my experience, because you don't have to wait for the elevator and the distance traveled is also much shorter. It's a little harder to run past the Silver Knights than the giant soldiers, though. Making that super-shortcut jump means you don't have to run past those Silver Knights though.

If you want to try the jump for yourself, you'll want to run partway up the central staircase until you can see the path towards the boss, then run a little further so that running down the stairs means running towards that path. The idea is that you jump from a high enough part of the staircase that you land on the railing and then drop off onto the path to the boss room.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 10, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Austrian mook posted:

That varied on my mood and what phase of the moon dictating if I was "bad at parry" or "all of the parry" was. When I was on the ball it was much faster to just blaze through a couple silver knights (+10 Claymore says hi) and evade the giant guards. Sometimes I'd just suddenly lose all skill against silver knights and make the long trip through nothing but giant knights which were annoying but much more predictable.

vvv How is your Faith and/or Dex? I was sporting a rock bottom 9 Faith my whole first playthrough, but I still brought a divine weapon for that area (granted, Manserpent Greatsword is always a good time if you can wield it). The big sell for Divine in the catacombs is that skeletons will not respawn when you kill them, even if their respective necromancer is still alive.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 10, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I have a Balder Sidesword Divine +5, it deals about 50 damage per strike against the skeletons in the catacombs.. Is that low, because it seems low.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

They gave these motherfuckers their own theme song that's (hopefully) unique to them. That's how loving awesome they are.

Actually Ornstein makes a second appearence in the second game, with a boss theme that is unique as well, loving awesome and actually takes from the orignal.

That said, he is one of the best bosses of the game, and that says a lot. He could be the first boss you fight, and everything after that is a huge lettdown, except maybe one.

http://youtu.be/NFrcmJQencc

e: Also, guessing your taste, I would suggest you go straight for the DLC. The bosses are on the same difficulty as O&S, and Artorias in one of the most badass bossfights in the game.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 10, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tae posted:

So I have a Balder Sidesword Divine +5, it deals about 50 damage per strike against the skeletons in the catacombs.. Is that low, because it seems low.

Yes. Divine scales with Faith, so if you don't have any, it'll do jack poo poo. Also, the Balder Side Sword is meant to be used plain since it has high Dexterity scaling. Finally, skeletons are resistant to non-Strike damage. If you found it, try turning the Occult Club from Anor Londo back into a Divine +5 Club at a blacksmith. Otherwise, just use your strongest weapon and ignore the regeneration gimmick. Once you kill the presiding Necromancer for each section, they will be dead forever and the skeletons will not regenerate anymore.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Your best bet is to put divine on the biggest weapon you can wield if you have low faith, preferably some kind of club (large club is awesome).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Michaellaneous posted:

Artorias in one of the most badass bossfights in the game.

Yeah, the Artorias fight is nowhere near as difficult as O&S but it's got a great feeling to it and beating him is a pretty nice passing of the torch moment (although he was almost literally fighting with one arm tied behind his back, so I feel like I can't crow too much)

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, the Artorias fight is nowhere near as difficult as O&S but it's got a great feeling to it and beating him is a pretty nice passing of the torch moment (although he was almost literally fighting with one arm tied behind his back, so I feel like I can't crow too much)

Also while insane, and according to the cut dialogue trying really hard not to hurt anybody.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sif is my favorite fight for all the extra animations it has at low health.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

Sif is my favorite fight for all the extra animations it has at low health.

sif is my least favorite fight because <be weary of sorrow>

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't imagine dumb messages could ever put a fight below the Bed of Chaos. At least Sif is a decent fight, though kinda easy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think the best part about Dark Souls is how it's not afraid to make content most players won't see. Isn't there a bunch of bosses you can completely miss?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Austrian mook posted:

I think the best part about Dark Souls is how it's not afraid to make content most players won't see. Isn't there a bunch of bosses you can completely miss?

About six. Stray Demon, Priscilla, and all of the DLC bosses, are very easy to miss.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, the Stray Demon is probably the easiest to miss. It felt really nice when I discovered it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Moonlight Butterfly is optional as well. It's not hard to miss, though.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pinwheel is very easy to miss as well since he dies in like a second :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think I'm done with dark souls multiplayer. There isn't any jolly cooperation be found anywhere except the gargoyles, smough/ornstein and the tauros demon, and on those locations there are usually 4 summoning signs when there are only 5 people online, so everyone but 1 person gets to sit around and do nothing

And pvp is filled with builds designed specifically to have high-level gear on low-level characters so they can curbstomp people around parish and burg. There is no fun to be had here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Dark sun gwyndolin how the hell do you find out about her without a wiki? Lovely, bullet hell-ish fight though.

• Locked thread