Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

InterrupterJones posted:

Igor Stravinsky was a Russian composer in the early 20th century, who is perhaps best survived by his ballet The Rite of Spring. It's known for being quite a shift in tone for music in general at the time, and was so poorly received upon it's premier that it caused a riot at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées over 100 years ago. It's intense, dramatic, oddly lyrical at times, and just a blast to both listen to and perform.

I remember a story I once heard about the Rite of Spring. A conductor was having trouble getting a good performance out of his orchestra, so he shouted, "Look, the Rite of Spring is about SEX!" Everyone instantly improved.

By the way, is the lag in the video something from the game, something that happened to the recording, or something that Youtube mangled? I was watching the uncut version in case that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I remember a story I once heard about the Rite of Spring. A conductor was having trouble getting a good performance out of his orchestra, so he shouted, "Look, the Rite of Spring is about SEX!" Everyone instantly improved.

By the way, is the lag in the video something from the game, something that happened to the recording, or something that Youtube mangled? I was watching the uncut version in case that matters.

I haven't heard that story before, but I would not be surprised at all by that happening. Part of the rioting was because of how lusty and suggestive the choreography was, which of course led to a few catcalls from some of the audience members.

As for the lag, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. The game runs at a crazy ~450 fps, which went way down once fraps was running, so it must have been a problem with the recording itself. The music doesn't lag also, does it? As long as that's intact I won't be too worried about the video itself.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

It's time for some R-type Delta! Full disclosure: I realized around level 5 that it was taking too long to get a successful run so from thereon I'll employ some lazy editing to get through.

In a dark future, humanity creates a monstrous bio-weapon called the Bydo and sends it to attack another space-faring race. Something goes wrong however, and the creature gets stuck outside of time. There it continues to evolve and grow its hatred of its creators. It reappears in a different time to attack humanity.

The only thing that can stop it are the R-types, ships powered by proto-Bydo cells...

R-type is a series of highly tactical shoot 'em ups. The situations you face are often too much for just your ship to handle, and to survive you need to make use of your Force; a detachable pod that cannot be hurt by Bydo since they're essentially the same. It can be attached to the front or back of your ship to guard you against bullets.

The game may start tame-looking but it quickly goes nuts.

edit: This game has some seriously great music

Level 1 - Crazy Machine

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 11, 2014

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Psikyo is well remembered in the shmup community for games like Strikers 1945, Sengoku Ace, and Gunbird, but let's take a look at a Psikyo game time forgot.

Space Bomber is a game focused on capturing enemy ships and using them as auxillary weapons to complement, or completely take over, your normal shots. Also, it acts as a predecessor to Metal Wolf Chaos as a president-in-a-ship simulator and save the world from an oncoming alien invasion! It's probably got one of the best shmup plots ever, right up there with the Aero Fighters games.
TheJayOfSpade joins me as a mostly-blind commentator to the madness that is this game.

So without further ado, Let's Play Space Bomber! "What on earth is that!!"
(Warning: the beginning of the video is completely silent. It's not you, it's the game.)

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

There is a whole pile of shooters for sale on Steam right now for the Japanese Indie Festival.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/japaneseindiefestival

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Right now in the OP what's supposed to link to bathroommage's Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender video actually links to Source Element's Beat Hazard video.

Speaking of Beat Hazard, I made a video as well that's missing from the OP entirely. It also misses some Jamestown videos by Herb Stencil and another LP by Highwang
There's also the Phalanx Videos here
I don't wanna come across as complaining about the lack of a complete op, I just wanna help make it more complete. There might be still more that are missing because surprisingly I didn't just go through the entire thread. I only mentioned and looked for things I happened to remember.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

IGgy IGsen posted:

Right now in the OP what's supposed to link to bathroommage's Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender video actually links to Source Element's Beat Hazard video.

Speaking of Beat Hazard, I made a video as well that's missing from the OP entirely. It also misses some Jamestown videos by Herb Stencil and another LP by Highwang
There's also the Phalanx Videos here
I don't wanna come across as complaining about the lack of a complete op, I just wanna help make it more complete. There might be still more that are missing because surprisingly I didn't just go through the entire thread. I only mentioned and looked for things I happened to remember.

Sorry, I ended up putting a bunch in, but used TextEdit on Mac which inserted smart quotes and mangled the OP - so I spent a bunch of time doing what I could to fix it before I had to get back to work. I'll fix Aqua Kitty and add your stuff as well.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Here's hoping I didn't just throw this thread down the rabbit hole. But, you know, I had to.

Galshell: I Call It Giger Wing
Summary: Body Horror Shmup. This is ... technically work safe (boobs are censored out), but there's a lot of "ew" kinda stuff that I wouldn't want coworkers seeing me watch.

Retrobanner also censored the sequel for me, so expect that somewhat soon. I'd also like to post the ending video, but if you beat me to it, hey!

Thanks to retrobanner for censoring all the source images.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

For my first (hopefully of many) contributions to this thread, I'd like to expound on this game a tad. Orchestra fans, rejoice:

Let's Literally Play Symphony

Igor Stravinsky was a Russian composer in the early 20th century, who is perhaps best survived by his ballet The Rite of Spring. It's known for being quite a shift in tone for music in general at the time, and was so poorly received upon it's premier that it caused a riot at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées over 100 years ago. It's intense, dramatic, oddly lyrical at times, and just a blast to both listen to and perform.

I decided to literally put a symphonic piece into Symphony to see how it would turn out, and the results were decently interesting. I have two versions of the gameplay: one that's condensed to under 15 minutes with subtitles to show the more interesting parts, and the uncut 35 minute version with no text at all if you're completely insane and want to see the whole thing. I have them both unlisted right now because I'm not entirely sure if I'll get smacked with a copyright claim or not. Either way, hope you enjoy.

Rite of Spring - Cut version
Rite of Spring - Full version

I may do some more pieces/songs later on; but as has been mentioned before, this game isn't all that interesting as a shmup. I'll probably work on either some Jamestown or Aerofighters vids for next time.

Great idea, love the info, but your video has some framerate issues, man.

Hartseeker
May 24, 2009

Strap one on, it's time to jam!
I know it's a rather easy joke to make, but seeing the Psyche Metal and Galshell's Ultragory take on the genre (complete with heavy sexual undertones) makes me think they'd be a more fitting game for Stravinski's Rite of Spring...

(http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/, for those who don't get the joke.)

On a more serious note, would 3D Rail Shooters like Starfox 64 and Sin & Punishment be kosher for this thread? Because I've been meaning to get my foot in the door on this whole "Let's P" thing for a while, and SF64 is one of my favorite games of all time. :kiddo:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Given that somebody just posted Pocky & Rocky and nobody blinked, I'm feeling like this thread could easily just be renamed "Games with projectiles here"

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
FROM FOUR SIDES

http://abagames.sakura.ne.jp/flash/ffs/
Everyone has heard of Kenta Cho from Cho Ren Sha 68k by now (or so I hope!), but he's also made a bunch of other stuff, including rRootage, PARSEC47 and more, which I recommend you take a look at: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/games/index.html#windows
And on top of that again, he makes a bunch of browser mini-games every month. This one I'd describe as the Super Hexagon of shmups (although without the same level of polish, but hey, he made it in like a week): It's fast paced, your read+react+execute skills will be pushed to the limit and you'll rarely last more than a minute. It may seem like you will be hit before you can react sometimes - but if you look back on recorded footage, it's rare (although I think possible) that a death is truly unavoidable.

It's a browser game, so if you get dropped inputs, swap from Chrome to Firefox or vice versa - Chrome worked best for me for example.

My best score is 3432 points.

---

Next: It probably won't be until the weekend, but I plan on making recordings of the Cave ports to iOS. If you've never played or seen one of them before - instead of having digital 'up down left right' movement controls, you place your finger anywhere on the screen, move it and your ship moves identically. It sounds like easy mode, but the hardest part of shmups is still reading and reacting to bullets, and using a finger doesn't help with that at all, so it's still very much a skill to train, although the movement IS very different. There's a program called Reflector that you run on your computer and your iDevice streams to it so you can record the video and audio, and the quality is really good when it works right. We'll see what 1CCs I can snatch up...

Patashu fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 12, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

slowbeef posted:

Here's hoping I didn't just throw this thread down the rabbit hole. But, you know, I had to.

Why does the music sound like a jaunty carnival?

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
In about half an hour, at 11:50 AM EST, I'll show off the UN squadron stages, starting from stage 3, on Gamer difficulty. I savestate after every level and after some deaths, to give myself unlimited continues.

https://www.twitch.tv/garbanzoguy

EDIT: Sorry, plugged a cable back in incorrectly and thought the internet was out. I'll probably stream later today, and put it on youtube(all levels, as a full let's play)

GarbiTheGlitchress fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 12, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

General Ironicus posted:

Why does the music sound like a jaunty carnival?

This is one of a hundred questions I have for Galshell that I do not have an answer to.

The other series by the same dev we talked about briefly is Yakouga. They recently announced Yakouga 6 which is... work friendlier, but still pretty messed up. Honestly, I feel like these games live and die by their art - Galshell wasn't particularly fun to play; the Yakouga games look ... better, but I'll stick to Crimzon Clover and Dodonpachi for now.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

slowbeef posted:

This is one of a hundred questions I have for Galshell that I do not have an answer to.

The other series by the same dev we talked about briefly is Yakouga. They recently announced Yakouga 6 which is... work friendlier, but still pretty messed up. Honestly, I feel like these games live and die by their art - Galshell wasn't particularly fun to play; the Yakouga games look ... better, but I'll stick to Crimzon Clover and Dodonpachi for now.

I thought Galshell died by that complete bullshit move at the end

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

KennyMan666 posted:

Ah, Agony.

Also known as holy poo poo this game has really loving long loading times: The shooting game
Also known as that one game with the beautiful intro song that Dimmu Borgir stole for one of their songs, because oh my god it's so beautiful from an Amiga of all things.
Also for having AMAZINGLY good graphics at the time for how beautifully rendered everything was...despite the shooter aspect being loving godawful for the bullets being pretty drat impossible to see for blending into the background. It's also more or less the official game for the owl mascot of Psygnosis, who was finally canonised as Alestes before nobody cared and knew them just for making WipeOut games later on.

Libluini posted:

It's time now.

Welcome to Amnios

Fun fact: If I had actually bothered to read what is written on the back of the box, it would've spared me some confusion. That's what I get for trusting the ingame-cutscenes, I guess. :shepface:

Amnios Planet 01: Rhapsody in Green

Edit:

I have an image from the back of the box mentioned above, but I decided it would spoiler the game too much for the first part, so I post it next time instead.
This game is loving weird but gorgeous, I love the writing of the intro for being pretty prosaic, this is what shooters mean to me. Poetical storylines that make absolutely no goddamn sense, while you shoot down floating vaginas. I cannot wait to see more of this so please keep playing through, I love this kind of beautiful absurdity on a more relatable level in terms of madness since well, this is more European and I feel that we need more of this kind of shooter after all the Anime overwhelming us in this thread.

Reminds me a lot of Thunder Force II actually and speaking of anime, holy gently caress Galshell :stonk: I am GENUINELY amazed by Retrobanner's work, holy poo poo that is some fantastic censorship nice work dude! On an unrelated note, I really do love Junji Ito's work for how hosed-up awesome it is. And the cat diaries are hilariously twisted, the most famous of his work is "The Legend of Amigara Fault" which is pretty great and short to read.

This game seems...rather weird though to play, in the gameplay perspective and not in the good way.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

slowbeef posted:

Galshell: I Call It Giger Wing

Gotta love it when the boss just decides to give up any pretense of patterns and sprays bullets at point-blank.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

FinalGamer posted:

Also for having AMAZINGLY good graphics at the time for how beautifully rendered everything was...despite the shooter aspect being loving godawful for the bullets being pretty drat impossible to see for blending into the background. It's also more or less the official game for the owl mascot of Psygnosis, who was finally canonised as Alestes before nobody cared and knew them just for making WipeOut games later on.

Agony's doing all kinds o'crazy crap to look so pretty.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Can someone tell me about "U-shaped bullet herding"? I think I have the gist from the name, but I'm making "shallow bowl" shaped U's. Is it supposed to be as close to an actual capital U?

Like start in the upper left quadrant, move down to herd bullets toward you, slowly move right in an arc, and back up again?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FinalGamer posted:

Also known as that one game with the beautiful intro song that Dimmu Borgir stole for one of their songs, because oh my god it's so beautiful from an Amiga of all things.

This game is loving weird but gorgeous, I love the writing of the intro for being pretty prosaic, this is what shooters mean to me. Poetical storylines that make absolutely no goddamn sense, while you shoot down floating vaginas. I cannot wait to see more of this so please keep playing through, I love this kind of beautiful absurdity on a more relatable level in terms of madness since well, this is more European and I feel that we need more of this kind of shooter after all the Anime overwhelming us in this thread.

Well, I'm glad you can tolerate my barely understandable English enough to enjoy Amnios, since I'm already editing the next part together. And holy poo poo, I've taken the time to read the text manual and apparently I did everything wrong. Also I'm still the worst player ever.

Also, did you know turning your computer off for 30 seconds destroys viruses? It's true, Psygnosis told me so. :shepface:

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

slowbeef posted:

Can someone tell me about "U-shaped bullet herding"? I think I have the gist from the name, but I'm making "shallow bowl" shaped U's. Is it supposed to be as close to an actual capital U?

Like start in the upper left quadrant, move down to herd bullets toward you, slowly move right in an arc, and back up again?
The closer to the edge of the screen you are when making your U, the more space you have to misdirect bullets. Depending on the situation, you may or may not need to make a full U shape, but it's good to leave a little bit of buffer room around you instead of sticking right on the edge of the screen.

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014

slowbeef posted:

In order to effectively restream and cut through a line of aimed bullets to go back to the other direction, you want to make a very sharp and sudden dash to the right-up or left-up.
This way the enemy fire will make a sudden big angled change of direction and create a bigger gap between the old and new aim point.
I guess a more accurate description would be 'V-shaped streaming', the sharper the angle of your dash compared to the enemy's location the better.

Unless you mean slowly streaming bullets along the screen, in which case you can also use the sides of the screen to stream up and down. This is useful sometimes to lengthen the time you have to slowly tap but unless you know the bullets are going to stop you really want to restream way before you hit the sides of the screen.

Also someone feel free to do Dimahoo because I really cannot stand playing the game.
The nature of the charge shot makes the item drops feel horribly random so getting all ten sets before the stage 4 chests is super annoying.
You'll probably need this.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jaimers posted:

Also someone feel free to do Dimahoo because I really cannot stand playing the game.
The nature of the charge shot makes the item drops feel horribly random so getting all ten sets before the stage 4 chests is super annoying.
You'll probably need this.

Is this a shmup where I'm fighting wizards and a stealth bomber?

... I am so down.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Like I said, I really like Dimahoo. Not because of the scoring system (which is pretty much exactly as hosed up as Jaimers is making it out to be), but... I don't know. Something about the combination of the intro, the bosses... it just feels fun somehow. Which is not to say I'm any good at it. I can beat the turtle and dragon bosses on one credit, and the giant mech on a good day, but the stupid spider is just insane and the bomber dragon thing (Infernon?)... don't even think about it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK fine next planet of Amnios is done:

Amnios Planet 02: Symphony of Skin

This video is a mess. First I accidentally recorded too much audio because I didn't notice one of my clips repeating itself, then I had to scramble to cut/edit/pad out everything until I had a working video. Hopefully the result isn't too confusing!

Like I promised, the backside of the box.

Fake Edit:

In case it interests you, I present to you the manual (also I wanted to go through the manual in the video, but since I had to edit out a large chunk of it, part of it is missing from it):

AMIGA LOADING INSTRUCTIONS

IMPORTANT: Always switch your machine off for at least 30 seconds
before loading the game. Failure to do so may result in virus
contamination of the AMNIOS master disk. See the Virus Warning and
the Warranty Notice in this manual for further information.

Switch your computer on. Insert a Kickstart disk if so prompted.
When the display prompts for a Workbench disk insert Disk 1 of AMNIOS
in your computer's internal drive. Insert Disk 2 when prompted.
AMNIOS is played with a joystick plugged into the second joystick
port and/or a mouse plugged into the first joystick port.

LOADING TIPS

Should the title screen not appear within 45 seconds of turning on
your machine there may be a problem with your computer system. Check
your computer connections and that the above instructions have been
correctly carried out. If you are sure your computer is functioning
properly (i.e. other software loads successfully) and are still unable
to load AMNIOS then you may have a faulty disk, in which case you may
obtain a free replacement from Psygnosis Ltd. All Psygnosis products
are fully guaranteed.

VIRUS WARNING!

This product is guaranteed by Psygnosis to be virus free. Psygnosis
Ltd accept no responsibility for damage caused to this product
through virus infection.

To avoid virus infection always ensure that your machine is switched
off for at least 30 seconds before loading this game.

AMNIOS

It lurked at Galactic Centre like some obscene worm gnawing at the
heart of a rose. A cancerous lifeform of planetary dimensions that
fed on the very stuff of Space-time, subverting it to its own needs,
shaping it into versions of itself in a parody of procreation. It
was called Life Gone Mad. It was Oncabloc.

The Sapiens of the planet Terra were the dominant sentient species
in a whole quadrant of Homegalaxy, their remorseless diaspora
absorbing the few other spacefaring species peacefully in to the
Culture. Eventually they reached the Heart, Galactic Centre,
so long obscured by immense dust clouds, only to discover the pulsating
chaos there, waiting.

The power and wealth of the Culture was glimpsed by Oncabloc - enough,
if absorbed into its heterogeneous bodies, to render it the most
powerful entity in creation. The horror of its passage as it lunged
at the peaceful and intricate domicile worlds, absorbing their
Lifeforce and Energy, will never be forgotten.

Amnios was created as the Elder Minds struggled to come to terms with
this unknowable Evil. Amnios was a Symbiotic Construct of Machine-
Mind and Biology. Each element a disparate cell in an organism
sharing one consciousness and purpose: to eradicate the malignancy
that threatens all of Life. The best and bravest of all the species
of the Culture volunteered to be represented within

this artificial organism, each a separate entity and yet united into
a benign variation of that which they sought so desperately to destroy.

Like highly mobile bacteria they spread throughout the Oncabloc's heaving
bulk, attacking its sensory and reproductive organs, knowing that if
enough damage could be inflicted to each World-Growth in a short enough
period of time then that growth would be irretrievably terminated.
To this end their weaponry became variations of the Oncabloc's own
Immune Defence System. Turning the creature's own means of protection
upon itself. Each element had to be acquired from the surface, each
piece of genetic information frantically sought to furnish the Fathership
with the ability to manufacture weaponry.

The tiny ships flew to wrest literally vital elements from the Growth
to inflict enough damage to bring about Necrosis; thence to flee to yet
another more powerful World-growth and continue this fight for survival.
Each ship was controlled by a semi-independent Intelligence.

The Game

Use your joystick, mouse or keys to experience the joy of victory or
the bitter sense of failure as you simulate an engagement in combat
against the most deadly of enemies. Navigate your craft over planets,
strategically using whatever fate places at your disposal in your
efforts to rid the Culture finally of this ultimate horror of Death
incarnate.

AMNIOS features ten living planets, each made up of Foliage, Squama or
Epidermis.

Your mission on each of these deadly worlds is to either destroy a
given percentage of the planet's vital organs or to rescue a given
number of encapsulated humanoids.

Any weapon will destroy a planet's vitals but an organ-specific
weapon only requires one shot - to obtain weapons you need to collect
DNA from the planet's surface and take it to your Fathership where arms
are created for you. The four different types of DNA to be found
appertain to the different types of weapons your Fathership can create.

DNA & Weapons:

Red DNA = 3 Smart Bombs
Green DNA = 20 seconds of Shield.
Invulnerability or Repulsion
Blue DNA = Imperishable Laser Enhancements
Yellow DNA = 4 V-Bombs; Heart Attack, BrainBomb, Eyesocker or Veingeance.

V-Bombs are capable of inflicting damage on all living parts of a planet but
organ-specific bombs require just one shot to destroy that organ: The right
V-Bomb for the right job is easily recognizable by its name - HeartAttack,
BrainBomb, EyeSocker and Veingeance Weapons carried are indicated by icons
at the base of the screen.

The ENTER key (on the keypad) scrolls through your weapons and Spacebar
activates the highlighted weapon.

It takes Fatherships some time to make weapons. The ironic twist
to your weapon-building capabilities is that the healthier the planet
is the quicker your Fathership is able to create weapons.

In the top right of the screen are icons which represent the percentage
of living parts remaining on the current planet: Heart; Overall Living
Parts; Brain and Eyes. They disappear as the percentage lessens.

Fathership:

One Fathership is present on the first planet, two on the second,
three on the third and so on. All Fatherships are capable of creating
all types of weapon and of carrying humanoids. Each Fathership can
only support one DNA strain or weapon and one Humanoid at a time.
Hovering inside a Fathership restores your energy.

Humanoids:

To rescue Humanoids, use your BioScanner to find them on the planet's
surface (they show up as pink dots) and fly over them to pick them up
in your Levicradle. Take them to your Fathership to complete the
rescue. Please note that only one Humanoid may be carried by each
Fathership.

Bioscanner:

Your Bioscanner is positioned at the bottom right of the screen. It
details almost all of the planet's surface and indicates the position
of other inhabitants (indigenous and otherwise) in relation to you.
Pink Dots indicate Encapsulated Humanoids
White Dots indicate Snatchers
Light Orange Dots indicate Fatherships
Dark Green Dots indicate DNA
Light Green Dots indicate Wasps
Orange Dots indicate Biobeings

The Enemy:

Each planet has several Brains, Eyes and Hearts as well as a number of
Arteries. Planets also give birth to hordes of alien Biobeings produced
specifically to bring your existence to an end.
Destroying a Brain results in less intelligent Bios being produced by
the planet.
Destroying a Heart results in a reduction of the production of Bios.
Destroying Eyes lessens the Bios' ability to track you.
Destroying Arteries will add to your percentage of destroyed organs
and also slow down Bio attack.

Indigenous Lifeforms:

Snatcher: Guards Humanoids and will pick one up to prevent you rescuing
it but will drop it again after a short time. If you rescue a
humanoid, its guarding Snatcher then hunts you. Snatchers are
invulnerable.

Wasps: Where there's death and decay you'll always find wasps.

Worms: Avoid their deadly jaws at all costs.

Bonded Bios: Attack in formation; hard to kill and difficult to avoid.

The Planets:

Squama Planets: Dragor, Lizzon, Serpon, Repttos.

Foliage Planets: Foress, Bracton, Plantoss.

Epidermis Planets: Hider, Tegumor, Membron.

Guardians:

Once you have rescued the required number of Humanoids, or destroyed
the required percentage of a planet's organs, and are ready to progress
to the next living hell, the malicious celestial body, in a last ditch
attempt to wipe you off its face, creates - out of any and all its
remaining resources - a Guardian. You are warned of their approach
by a change of hue in the planet's surface. These Guardians increase
in power as you progress through the planets and have only one aim in
life: your demise... attack with care!

IMPORTANT: Through all this mayhem your ship can only carry one
Humanoid or DNA strain at a time. But it can carry up to eight
weapons.

Next time: The third planet, and I finally try to get some of the other weapons. Maybe. Remember: I'm the worst.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Galshell's what happens when David Cronenberg looks at R-Type and thinks 'no, not meaty/psychosexual enough'. I mean, the basic concept (humanity uses biological weapons to take down a squirmy biological foe) isn't dissimilar to the R-Type series, and god knows Delta and Final have some weird sex stuff going on in their final levels. Just that it's more... up front about its hosed-upness.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Around the time that your shrimp ship is shooting homing sperm at two giant naked women strapped together by a grimacing face I think you've thrown all pretense of subtlety out the window.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Speaking of Galshell: I'm somewhat exonerated. I had killed the last boss. The last attack is unavoidable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-xmX0Pz6GQ

That said, there really are ending screens in the game assets, so... maybe you have to 1cc it? I'm not sure. Guy in the video has 4 lives remaining so it looked like a no-miss run?

edit: Yeah look, it even took away all his reserve lives before the attack.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

slowbeef posted:

That said, there really are ending screens in the game assets, so... maybe you have to 1cc it? I'm not sure. Guy in the video has 4 lives remaining so it looked like a no-miss run?

I remember beating this 1cc years ago on a different computer. The trick was to run a defrag program at the same time, which slowed the game down immensely. Don't remember the ending though.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

GuavaMoment posted:

I remember beating this 1cc years ago on a different computer. The trick was to run a defrag program at the same time, which slowed the game down immensely. Don't remember the ending though.

Going by the art assets, you would have.

:nms: (I only have the censored version retrobanner gave me)

http://imgur.com/2ao6bnU
http://imgur.com/2ao6bnU,LfIu943#1

edit: There's also animation files for the woman's eyes' opening/blinking/closing.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 13, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I kind of became incredibly busy and forgot about this thread. Oops!

Glad someone else picked up Genetos, though.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

slowbeef posted:

Speaking of Galshell: I'm somewhat exonerated. I had killed the last boss. The last attack is unavoidable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-xmX0Pz6GQ

edit: Yeah look, it even took away all his reserve lives before the attack.
Man that is such loving horseshit, gently caress Galshell. gently caress that entire game.

Libluini posted:

OK fine next planet of Amnios is done:

Amnios Planet 02: Symphony of Skin

This video is a mess. First I accidentally recorded too much audio because I didn't notice one of my clips repeating itself, then I had to scramble to cut/edit/pad out everything until I had a working video. Hopefully the result isn't too confusing!

Like I promised, the backside of the box.

Fake Edit:

In case it interests you, I present to you the manual (also I wanted to go through the manual in the video, but since I had to edit out a large chunk of it, part of it is missing from it):

AMIGA LOADING INSTRUCTIONS
I love that it came with such a poo poo ton of instructions, holy poo poo the Amiga must have been a monster to handle. Also those eye-faces in the sand look pretty rad, I love those. Does look rather bullshit though, not gonna lie I got no idea how you handled this without just flipping up a table or something.

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013
So, speaking of Cave, I'm really surprised nobody has taken up Mushihimesama yet. The second game in that series (Mushihimesama Futari) is often claimed to have the hardest boss fight in the history of shmups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPLhATu9pU (The "True Last Boss" begins at about 3:20; you can only get to it if you go through the rest of the entire game on Ultra mode without dying once...)

It also has a really driving trance-y soundtrack, too. Cave are pretty awesome like that.

I'm planning on playing through the PS2 port of the first game later on tonight.

Edit: Stream over. I totally messed up the recording settings. Many insect sads.

Sakako fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 13, 2014

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
So, tonight I recorded a run of Star Prince from Retro Game Challenge (the DS game based on Game Center CX), and I learned a couple things from it.

1) It gets pretty tough at the end of the first loop (the video I got had me doing really well until the final level before everything pretty much fell apart).

2) Not exactly related to the game, but I should remember to make sure I'm recording the footage before starting to play since I didn't capture my second run where I got pretty far into the second/final loop since SP does a Ghosts n' Goblins-style "play the game twice to see the real ending" thing. :doh:

I'm probably gonna post the video I got along with the one of me beating the game if/when I ever pull it off (I got pretty far in my second accidentally-unrecorded run, so I have a feeling it can be done) since I did some pretty pro-looking poo poo. I have beaten it before, but I haven't touched it in years if you don't count the Score Attack/Caravan version of the game in RGC2.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FinalGamer posted:

I love that it came with such a poo poo ton of instructions, holy poo poo the Amiga must have been a monster to handle. Also those eye-faces in the sand look pretty rad, I love those. Does look rather bullshit though, not gonna lie I got no idea how you handled this without just flipping up a table or something.

To be honest, in my first test run I got a game over about ten times in a row and then just stopped for the day. :v:

Then I was like "Hell, I want to show off this game, but I can't play it, what do I do?". I was fully prepared to abuse savestates to get through the game, but then I accidentally butterfingered the really obnoxious trainer that came with my version of the game and gave myself an infinite life cheat.

Which is kind of good, because it is something someone playing this game on a genuine Amiga could use and it makes recording a lot smoother then savestating all the time. Besides, I really have no idea how you could play this game the normal way, considering the many times I'm either volleyed of the field in one go or touched to death because I can't move out of the way because my goddamn ship has to maneuver around into another direction first. :argh:

The mouse controls need special mention since you need the motor control of a saint to prevent your ship from careening out of control. Since I had an Amiga myself, I can tell you it would have been easier with a slow-as-gently caress original Amiga-mouse, but an Amiga-mouse would have made your ship even more unresponsive then playing with a joystick/gamepad. But it sure is nice from Psygnosis to give you the option to gently caress yourself over even more!

On the instructions: For an old homecomputer, the Amiga is actually fairly benign. I'm sure as hell don't remember my old Amiga magically infecting itself with viruses just because I didn't upheld the mandatory times for switching off/on I didn't know about.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 13, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Just a note: I'm pretty sure the transforming robots were a Mazinger reference. At least in their robot-head form.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up for US PS3 owners: Mamorokun Curse, G.rev's modern Pocky & Rocky/Kiki Kaikai homage, is available for $4.99 right now, or $2.99 if you have PS+. It's mega ~anime~ but that goes for most shooters these days so deal with it I guess?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

And in the UK, 1942: Joint Strike is £1.69 (£1.59 if you have PS+). Worth picking up by any standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

1942: Joint Strike is utter poo poo, save your pounds.

• Locked thread