Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

harperdc posted:

They have to save *that* for a very particular moment. The great thing about the Rainmaker is it's so easy to twist into something else in a reversal -- the arm bar yesterday was particularly good in my opinion. The only time I can recall it being kicked out of was when Okada didn't directly go for a cover, like in one match in 2013 when Suzuki worked the arm all match and then the eventual first Rainmaker left Okada in a spasm of pain for a good 10 seconds.

This happened in the Tanahashi match from Invasion Attack (PSP's match of the year 2013 I believe) last year too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Thrilled as always eh Okada

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

He should put both his G1 trophies on a chain and wear them during his entrance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

:neckbeard: THE BRIEFCASE IS BACK :neckbeard:

Less bling this time though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

:neckbeard: THE BRIEFCASE IS BACK :neckbeard:

Less bling this time though.

Give it time. Wait until Gedo does more work to it.

And he's looking smug as hellllll. Good. Good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Thrilled as always eh Okada

You confuse smugness for apathy. He's all "Of course I won, I'm the Rainmaker!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It's only during this G1 that I recognized the greatness of Shibata's theme. Well moreso the intro, it's really different and cool.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sometimes I wonder if Shibata is even allowed to leave the country.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Perfection

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

triplexpac posted:

It's only during this G1 that I recognized the greatness of Shibata's theme. Well moreso the intro, it's really different and cool.

I really grew to like the intro of Yano's theme too and wish the rest of the theme was more like the intro.

Rainmaker reversal talk: I loved Goto's "gently caress you eat a headbutt" approach.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hahaha the face is perfect

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The intro of Goto's theme is suitably dramatic for him too.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So when's the next NJPW event that I could see here in the US? This G1 is the first time I've watched a full New Japan event instead of just individual matches, so I'm not familiar with their usual schedule.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Dimebags Brain posted:

So when's the next NJPW event that I could see here in the US? This G1 is the first time I've watched a full New Japan event instead of just individual matches, so I'm not familiar with their usual schedule.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Destruction double PPV weekend in Sept. 21 in Kobe & Sept. 23 in Okayama on USTREAM.

Road to Destruction tour has a couple of Korakuen Hall shows that might end up as iPPVs too, I'll add everything to the event section on the next thread at the end of the month.

e: check out the poster for the Yuji Nagata anniversary show:

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 11, 2014

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

masato tatanka posted:

Destruction double PPV weekend in Sept. 21 in Kobe & Sept. 23 in Okayama on USTREAM.

Road to Destruction tour has a couple of Korakuen Hall shows that might end up as iPPVs too, I'll add everything to the event section on the next thread at the end of the month.

e: check out the poster for the Yuji Nagata anniversary show:

I want this poster in my house

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Are they doing that thing this year where the 2nd or 3rd place guy goes for the title that the 1st place guy didn't choose? In this case it would be Tanahashi going for the IC title. Didn't they do that last year with the G1?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

no that was this years NJ cup. Tanahashi did go for the IC at WK8 after he came 2nd in the G1 but Nakamura called him out.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

masato tatanka posted:

no that was this years NJ cup. Tanahashi did go for the IC at WK8 after he came 2nd in the G1 but Nakamura called him out.

Ahhh that's what it was. I mixed the two things up.

On another note, I just had a terrifying thought.

Now that Double J is associated with NJPW, what if he convinces them to bring in his newly fired buddy to help get buzz in the USA... after all, this man has a proven track record of success in some of the biggest companies out west! :russo:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

There are two words that Jado and Gedo, when they were wrestling, were famous for using, including printing them on a legendary t-shirt.

That applies here.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

They may make some questionable decisions when it comes to working with American companies, but I think it's safe to say that after the tequila bottle incident Russo's the last man on earth who's ever going to be employed by NJPW.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I know it would never happen haha. I just always figure where Double J goes, Russo is soon to follow.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I know it would never happen haha. I just always figure where Double J goes, Russo is soon to follow.

Jeff might wanna rethink that strategy, I could see NJPW pulling out of their partnership if GFW associates themselves with him.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I can't wait so see a Jeff Jarrett main event match and all the stupid bullshit that entails

I'm pretty sure Jarrett and Russo had a falling out a couple years ago so I don't see him being affiliated with GFW any time soon. This is wresting though so I guess anything is possible.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if JJ brings Russo in for anything more than writing segments, I'll be surprised.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
With how badly Tanahashi and Okada were handled by Russo, there is no way Jado and Gedo let him within sniffing distance.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Don't forget IWGP Champion Shinsuke Nakamura wrestling exclusively on Xplosion.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CHAMPION-SHIP

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

That is one appropriately ridiculous-looking trophy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jeff might wanna rethink that strategy, I could see NJPW pulling out of their partnership if GFW associates themselves with him.

Yeah, he better just do it in secret and lie about it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

dsriggs posted:

CHAMPION-SHIP

Finally, Brad Maddox's vision of VesselMania will come to pass!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

triplexpac posted:

Apparently it was recorded specially for him and never released commercially, which is a huge bummer because it's a very good song.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, he better just do it in secret and lie about it.

Worked for TNA!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you dont think he might have been referring to that do you

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I actually hope we get Naito and Okada on the road to the Dome at some point and Okada gives him poo poo for carrying around a clipboard with the G1 contract on it.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Note from the new Observer that I thought was really interesting:

"The current New Japan fan base, for the most part, are new wrestling fans, of only a few years. Very few follow any other promotion, which is why nobody knew A.J. Styles when he first showed up. Gedo & Jado’s booking philosophy is to book solid, easy-to-understand matches with clean winners and losers most of the time. Unless it’s a major match on PPV, the top stars finishers like the high fly flow or rainmaker are not to be kicked out of."

I wish I knew more about how the perception of wrestling has changed culturally in Japan, because it's inexplicable to me that the remaining major promotion there would have a "new" fan base after the successes of the 90s. Both All Japan and New Japan had incredible runs for that entire decade, and NOAH helped carry that run into the mid 2000s. How, after building a wrestling fan base so huge that they could run run multiple combined Dome shows every year and constantly sell out big buildings like Sumo Hall and Budokan, are they now starting over (allegedly) almost from scratch?

I mean, in the US, I almost get the opposite feeling - that the remaining fan base was all built up during the 80s/90s and Attitude years and that wrestling adds very few new fans as the years go on.

Maybe I should try to write in to one of the Observer Sin Limite shows to ask Dave about it, because I wouldn't know where else to start looking for an explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
It also apparently says that NJPW officals will be at Field of Honor for more scouting, and that Gedo and Jado want the ROH title defended at Wrestle Kingdom 9.

• Locked thread