Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Embrace the red, leave none alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
For people on the fence about this game, play 5 Venoms or Sun and Moon, they are both super loving satisfying.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
If you're 50+, don't worry about infamy. Stash your all your unbound poo poo (all of it) and go bot in a dungeon. Everybody is red there, and if you don't drop anything, nobody will think "wait, that guy had infamy, I should track and kill him later".

With Demon Pit, there's pretty much no reason to bot outside the dungeons anyway, at least not if you're relying on 200-400 drive a day. You get twice as much XP per world energy compared to Party Up areas (three times compared to regular mobs), and it's pretty much the best source of XP post-60; 100 world energy is around 30-40% of a level at 60+, before double XP.

If you're using endurance pills to upgrade your gear after your world energy is depleted, then sure, having infamy can be a little annoying. But since you don't care about experience, only the level of the gear drops, just find a secluded area and set your bot to stop if you die once. I personally just make sure I only get enough infamy that it takes a day or two to get rid of it, ensuring that if I want to spend 600 drive to finally get that weapon to +10, I probably won't be bothered in the process.

Obviously the above advice isn't really applicable if you're a poorly geared Harmony/Splendor/Tong, but we barely have any of those anyway.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 11, 2014

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

BERGfu posted:

turn off alliance war. You end up killing shits who try to roll you and your bot kills them because they are really bad. Like I don't know where I got 30 infamy from but I guess I killed some dude with an AOE when we were doing something.

I was botting on harmony. Also yeah i only bot in open world for refinement so I only use 1 skill and basic attack so it makes it even weirder.

The Quake fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 11, 2014

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

The Quake posted:

I was botting on harmony. Also yeah i only bot in open world for refinement so I only use 1 skill and basic attack so it makes it even weirder.

what the gently caress?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Quake hits pretty hard, but yeah. Being in Dragonspring suggests it was probably a higher level, maybe someone botting with avenger left on that overlapped range?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Aleth posted:

Quake hits pretty hard, but yeah. Being in Dragonspring suggests it was probably a higher level, maybe someone botting with avenger left on that overlapped range?

I don't think that would have increase it though because it was in defence?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
So is the Swordsman Online ship already sinking? There was talk on mumble of the huge disparity between those that have sunk money into the game and those that haven't, and though I personally certainly haven't played enough to know whether or not it's the case it seemed like people were also talking about how it's not just a matter of putting money in versus not but also how much people were willing to put in.

Generally people seemed pretty frustrated with the whole thing, with a few people saying they straight up weren't willing to drop money on the game like that.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Personally, I got up to level 30 or so before quitting because there's no real way for me to participate in guild shenanigans until I reach high level. :(

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

See y'all in Moonlight Blade.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Personally, I got up to level 30 or so before quitting because there's no real way for me to participate in guild shenanigans until I reach high level. :(

Oh naw, there's guild activities for everyone pretty much every day. Plus it takes a couple of days to get to level 40, at which point you have your 3rd skill set and generally you should be feeling pretty awesome about how much whoopass you can dish out.

lohli posted:

Generally people seemed pretty frustrated with the whole thing, with a few people saying they straight up weren't willing to drop money on the game like that.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised at this, it's a gear farming game. These always, without exception, have rubbish pvp when gear is allowed to impact pvp. At least Swordsman has a "fair fight" option in Arena mode that baseline's everyone's numbers and ignores gear.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 12, 2014

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It's also worth pointing out that whilst you can indeed buy you way to gem glory you can also work at it in game, getting unbound from various missions/running mirage for gems etc. Not only that but even the most blinged out whale can't do poo poo if they have a bunch of lowbies hitting them with cc to keep them pinned.

And yeah, getting to 40 isn't really more than a couple of days if you know what you're doing at which point the game opens up a lot more.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

lohli posted:

So is the Swordsman Online ship already sinking? There was talk on mumble of the huge disparity between those that have sunk money into the game and those that haven't, and though I personally certainly haven't played enough to know whether or not it's the case it seemed like people were also talking about how it's not just a matter of putting money in versus not but also how much people were willing to put in.

We complain about this everyday in mumble. This is a thing and TheQuake leaving the guild was just weird. Then again he is AFK for almost everything we were doing so idk.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

BERGfu posted:

We complain about this everyday in mumble. This is a thing and TheQuake leaving the guild was just weird. Then again he is AFK for almost everything we were doing so idk.

Is this the part where I quote everybody who said I was wrong about the gems and such making the game pay2win :smugdog: ?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Haroshia posted:

Is this the part where I quote everybody who said I was wrong about the gems and such making the game pay2win :smugdog: ?

Aleth posted:

It's also worth pointing out that whilst you can indeed buy you way to gem glory you can also work at it in game, getting unbound from various missions/running mirage for gems etc. Not only that but even the most blinged out whale can't do poo poo if they have a bunch of lowbies hitting them with cc to keep them pinned.

And yeah, getting to 40 isn't really more than a couple of days if you know what you're doing at which point the game opens up a lot more.

nope

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

You should come back and play

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I asked your girlfriend if you could come play again and she said ok.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Guys we got another Zepher(sic)!

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You sit on a throne of lies.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Haroshia posted:

You sit on a throne of lies.

So does your girlfriend. This may or may not be a dick joke.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

So does your girlfriend. This may or may not be a dick joke.

:haw: I kinda switched to playing GW2 since it is a game she can play. I convinced her to start playing so now she is doing that instead of getting mad at me for gaming. Win/win.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
We're part of the United alliance now, and Drinkfist is vaguely in charge. You'd love it!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah our alliance is awesome, people use alliance chat for trade! WTB (valuable thing) for (trivial amount of money) every 2 minutes!

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

BERGfu posted:

I've pretty much given up on the game because of the market on Claymore. Long gone is the golden age of money launderers bringing down the prices of gem pouhces to 3G and the best level 3 gems to 7G.

The pay2win crap isn't really a concern. There's like 10 people on our server who have taken that seriously, like SunWukong and Nerd. They've spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on gems to gain the advantage they have, but most other people are on a manageable level compared to someone who hasn't spent much money at all.

What is a concern is the fact that at current gem prices, if I wanted to put 5 level 6 STR gems on my gear, I'd be spending around 3000G for it (600G for level 4s). Sure, I'd eventually get there, but I like to be 'done' with gearing after a certain point, and that point isn't coming any time soon.

To give you an idea, in the Chinese servers, to get the same amount of gems you'd spend 210G (42 for level 4s). Unfortunately with everything from Mirage being bound, I doubt we'll ever see a market similar to that.

Of course, there's an alternative: running Mirage daily. Which I don't have the time or willpower for.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 12, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Isn't it awesome, the game's been open like 4 weeks and already there's bittervets!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Liberatore posted:

Of course, there's an alternative: running Mirage daily. Which I don't have the time or willpower for.

How many characters did you grind up to 50+ again?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Xom laughs manically

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

You were killed by a thunder wizard on floor 4

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Aleth posted:

How many characters did you grind up to 50+ again?

Two, when I had no job or school; Now I have both.

I still love the game and play it for the arena. If only I would stop failing to upgrade my skill scrolls.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Are dungeons always super laggy, because I did the one in Mt. Majesty and holy crap it was unpleasant. I spent the whole time rubber banding around, running in place, and often waiting 5+ seconds for commands to process.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I'd heard the bots have started running Demon Pit so that's probably messing it up.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Aleth posted:

I'd heard the bots have started running Demon Pit so that's probably messing it up.

WE'RE hosed NOW

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Surprise downtime RIGHT NOW

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I like how the captchas or whatever anti bot thing they installed only hampers players.

Misbiopy
Jun 13, 2010
Aside from me and TheQuake, who is still going to be playing this? I'm trying to figure out how many pubbies I'm going to need to pull into the guild to keep it running.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
I'm still playing it on and off for now.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I am not playing at the moment because the Archeage beta is running over this weekend.

In the event that I quit I'll give away my account, which only has a level 40 tong on it but still.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I think this weekend is going to see even less on due to that beta. We've had a lot burn out getting to 50-60ish which combined with the Archeage betas sucking people in and the on-going bot issues has really hit the guild activity. It's still a fun game but we've been suffering for the last week or so with getting enough people on to do our level 80+ events.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'll be playing, I'm one of the two other people who was trying to run hijacks last night and failing because we couldn't get 3 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I haven't officially quit yet. I'm still playing crawl.

• Locked thread